• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting very tired of resale brokers who feel like ghosting is OK. Marking them off my list one by one.

I am suggesting none of what you just listed. I am suggesting that constantly (not occasionally) putting in lowball offers hoping to cash in on 'deal' is a sad way to live.
I'm sorry but this is a horrible take. The whole idea that's pitched to buyers about the resale market is the savings that can be had so naturally buyers are going to look for those opportunities. For that BRV contract I mentioned in an earlier post, it took me about 4-5 rejected similar offers. I made those offers, brokers submitted them, some turned down without a counter and some countered but couldn't come to a middle ground. I think all OP is asking for is brokers to do just that without comments, ghosting, or bad/unprofessional behavior from the broker. If the seller's not interested in negotiating, no harm/foul that's business and just move on to the next one. If I one day have to sell, there's no doubt that previous interactions will come into play when deciding which broker I should sell through. It seems silly that some brokers are fine with closing off potential future business by behaving in certain manners, but to each their own (it's not my business so I could care less how they decide to run it).

If you're fine with paying a dollar or two off a listed price, that's fine but please don't disparage those of us who seek out lower prices. There's two parties that come to an agreement, so if the seller's on board then it's a win-win. Not every seller is selling due to hardship or distress. Some are coming out ahead even after a low-ball offer, especially considering how common $50-70/pt purchases were pre-2019. Any further savings from a "lowball offer" means more money I have to spend on my family and developing core memories from these vacations. If that's a sad way to live then so be it.

If you're fine with paying a dollar or two off a listed price, that's fine but please don't disparage those of us who seek out lower prices.
I am not disparaging people that seek lower prices at times. I think we all have made lowball offers at times. I am saying that constantly making lowball offers and nothing else is a sad way to live.

I am not disparaging people that seek lower prices at times. I think we all have made lowball offers at times. I am saying that constantly making lowball offers and nothing else is a sad way to live.

If you believe the market is stable or going up, then your opinion has more value. I believe the market is going down, not up. I'm building that into my offers.

If you believe the market is stable or going up, then your opinion has more value. I believe the market is going down, not up. I'm building that into my offers.
I don’t know what fraction of DVC resale buyers pay cash, but I’m assuming it’s a decent percentage, and my thesis is that I don’t think DVC resale prices have fully processed the dramatic increase mid to long term interest rates.

I suspect most resorts will trend cheaper until the Fed starts cutting (and if they are cutting because the economy goes into recession, it’s not necessarily going to help DVC then either).

I’m honestly curious as to why anybody expects DVC to increase anytime soon.

I am suggesting none of what you just listed. I am suggesting that constantly (not occasionally) putting in lowball offers hoping to cash in on 'deal' is a sad way to live.
In my opinion this argument isn't of any real substance. You're saying doing it sometimes is ok but all the time is a no. I mean fine...I'm going to say it's ok to cheat on your taxes sometimes but to do it all the time is a sad way to live. I get that that's your opinion but it's a bit hypocritical. It's either something you don't believe is a good way to live (I don't personally understand how trying to get the best deal on something in the open market is a bad way to live but whatever) or you're ok doing it once, twice, a thousand times.

How about with a stock I want to purchase that's in a downtrend. Should I offer the nameless faceless seller on the other side MORE money than what the market direction is or should I put in a lower price and wait for the price I am willing to buy it for. If it never gets there then guess what...I don't get the stock I wanted. That's on me. DVC is a luxury purchase with no guarantee of getting out of it until it expires. That's what people sign up for. Taking advantage of people would be scamming an old lady out of her bank account or finding a homeless person on the street and making them do work for you for some food. Extreme cases I know but your idea of taking advantage of people and being a "bad" person for it does not mesh with what I think most people would think in the case of a time share.

I'm sorry but this is a horrible take. The whole idea that's pitched to buyers about the resale market is the savings that can be had so naturally buyers are going to look for those opportunities. For that BRV contract I mentioned in an earlier post, it took me about 4-5 rejected similar offers. I made those offers, brokers submitted them, some turned down without a counter and some countered but couldn't come to a middle ground. I think all OP is asking for is brokers to do just that without comments, ghosting, or bad/unprofessional behavior from the broker. If the seller's not interested in negotiating, no harm/foul that's business and just move on to the next one. If I one day have to sell, there's no doubt that previous interactions will come into play when deciding which broker I should sell through. It seems silly that some brokers are fine with closing off potential future business by behaving in certain manners, but to each their own (it's not my business so I could care less how they decide to run it).

If you're fine with paying a dollar or two off a listed price, that's fine but please don't disparage those of us who seek out lower prices. There's two parties that come to an agreement, so if the seller's on board then it's a win-win. Not every seller is selling due to hardship or distress. Some are coming out ahead even after a low-ball offer, especially considering how common $50-70/pt purchases were pre-2019. Any further savings from a "lowball offer" means more money I have to spend on my family and developing core memories from these vacations. If that's a sad way to live then so be it.
Precisely!! Thank you for your well written post. This is exactly my point.

In my opinion this argument isn't of any real substance. You're saying doing it sometimes is ok but all the time is a no. I mean fine...I'm going to say it's ok to cheat on your taxes sometimes but to do it all the time is a sad way to live. I get that that's your opinion but it's a bit hypocritical. It's either something you don't believe is a good way to live (I don't personally understand how trying to get the best deal on something in the open market is a bad way to live but whatever) or you're ok doing it once, twice, a thousand times.

How about with a stock I want to purchase that's in a downtrend. Should I offer the nameless faceless seller on the other side MORE money than what the market direction is or should I put in a lower price and wait for the price I am willing to buy it for. If it never gets there then guess what...I don't get the stock I wanted. That's on me. DVC is a luxury purchase with no guarantee of getting out of it until it expires. That's what people sign up for. Taking advantage of people would be scamming an old lady out of her bank account or finding a homeless person on the street and making them do work for you for some food. Extreme cases I know but your idea of taking advantage of people and being a "bad" person for it does not mesh with what I think most people would think in the case of a time share.
Yes Yes Yes & Yes!

I’m honestly curious as to why anybody expects DVC to increase anytime soon.
Probably because all the DVC content out there (especially those sponsored by brokers) keep pushing that idea out there. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard things like "Now is always the time to buy because prices are only going to go up" or "contracts hold value and you'll often make money if you need to sell down the road", I'd probably have enough to buy a resale contract or better yet in keeping with the theme of this thread, I'll have enough to buy a contract and keep some in my pocket since I'll be lowballing to purchase that contract!

Probably because all the DVC content out there (especially those sponsored by brokers) keep pushing that idea out there. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard things like "Now is always the time to buy because prices are only going to go up" or "contracts hold value and you'll often make money if you need to sell down the road", I'd probably have enough to buy a resale contract or better yet in keeping with the theme of this thread, I'll have enough to buy a contract and keep some in my pocket since I'll be lowballing to purchase that contract!

I chuckle too every time I hear the same content. They were saying the same thing back in 2022 and look where we are now!

Can’t like this enough. As a follower of stocks and economics in general, usually “the market “ does exactly the opposite of what everyone is thinking.

I have one of my contracts listed and recently had a pretty low offer. I wouldn't consider it a "low ball" but it was quite a bit under what I would accept. I countered with a small percentage off of my list and they passed. I guess if I get a really low offer I might just counter with a full asking price. I think the counter would be mostly out of respect for the people trying to help me sell my contract and to send the low-ball offer down the road. BTW, only listing because I'm looking at retirement in the next few years and looking to reduce my HOA expenses, so I'm in no hurry to sell. If I get what I consider a fair offer fine, if not I'll keep using the points.

I have one of my contracts listed and recently had a pretty low offer. I wouldn't consider it a "low ball" but it was quite a bit under what I would accept. I countered with a small percentage off of my list and they passed. I guess if I get a really low offer I might just counter with a full asking price. I think the counter would be mostly out of respect for the people trying to help me sell my contract and to send the low-ball offer down the road. BTW, only listing because I'm looking at retirement in the next few years and looking to reduce my HOA expenses, so I'm in no hurry to sell. If I get what I consider a fair offer fine, if not I'll keep using the points.
But you must believe that prices would hold fairly steady because if you had the opinion that prices would likely drop you might consider taking a non-optimum price since you know you want to get rid of the contract fairly soon.

But you must believe that prices would hold fairly steady because if you had the opinion that prices would likely drop you might consider taking a non-optimum price since you know you want to get rid of the contract fairly soon.
Not sure what the prices will do, but I'm in no hurry to sell. If I get an offer that I consider fair, I'll sell. If not, I'll wait a year or 2. It still should have some value to it, not going to affect me much either way and if I hold it, we'll get some more really nice Disney vacations.

Not sure what the prices will do, but I'm in no hurry to sell. If I get an offer that I consider fair, I'll sell. If not, I'll wait a year or 2. It still should have some value to it, not going to affect me much either way and if I hold it, we'll get some more really nice Disney vacations.
I understand

I don’t plan to ever sell

Ok so I’m just going to say it.. regardless of the reason, not responding (ghosting) is NEVER OK.

I’m fully aware my offers are very low, but they’re serious offers nonetheless. Even brokers I’ve used before to buy or sell, just don’t respond. I’ve given the benefit of the doubt a few times, but no more. Regardless of the rationale, if you don’t respond to me, you’re never getting a look from me again. I Have a large social media presence which I will actively discuss. We get at least 2-3 requests each day asking for broker recommendations.. just sayen.

Interestingly enough, a few brokers I rarely engaged, are now the only sites I will visit and the 2 biggest ones, I will never endorse or patronize again.

Note to these brokers…be careful how you treat consumers. The 30 second email you don’t send, can and will cost you more than you could fathom. For example..I referred a buyer to the 2 larger brokers on the market. Neither one followed through professionally, one not at all. She currently has 4 (yes FOUR) in ROFR with one just passing. So that’s 5 contracts totaling approx $137,000 in revenue and that’s just 1 person in my very large network.

She didn’t get any response whatsoever from 1 company then a terse response from the other. Those 2 missteps cost each company quite a bit now, and even more in the future.

Simply put… be professional, respectful and do your job. Takes less than a minute to respond Pretty simple. Rant over.
Absolutely agree! I even give these brokers a heads up I am coming in low. If there is no negotiation then don’t waste my time having me submit my offer.

I’m sorry but these DVC resale prices should be lower across the board. The prices are being somewhat inflated due to the brokers. I have given plenty of reasons why my offer comes in low, depending on the contract. I even site past sales that corroborate my offer. When they have no answer, their response is “ we don’t represent either the seller or buyer, so we can’t give them advice as to what to do”. Well, you want to make a commission? The seller, in most cases, wants to sell. Then start having that conversation. The correct sales price is that which a buyer is willing to pay. If the sellers aren’t motivated to sell, they should have a timeline for posting. You don’t drop your price after “x” many days, sorry we need to remove your listing.

I’m sorry but these DVC resale prices should be lower across the board. The prices are being somewhat inflated due to the brokers. I have given plenty of reasons why my offer comes in low, depending on the contract. I even site past sales that corroborate my offer. When they have no answer, their response is “ we don’t represent either the seller or buyer, so we can’t give them advice as to what to do”. Well, you want to make a commission? The seller, in most cases, wants to sell. Then start having that conversation. The correct sales price is that which a buyer is willing to pay. If the sellers aren’t motivated to sell, they should have a timeline for posting. You don’t drop your price after “x” many days, sorry we need to remove your listing.
I believe at least some of the brokers are sitting on thousands of points they bought assuming they could rent and then quickly flip for profit back in 2022, which (if true) would give them a HUGE incentive to try to keep prices as high as possible. Not sure how they financed all of their contract acquisitions but they may well be upside down and possibly outside of permitted leverage ratios. Evidently in Florida timeshare brokerage, you don’t have to advise your client of your potential conflicts?

I
I would imagine the price is whatever someone is willing to pay for it and whatever the seller agrees to? Also, I don't believe it costs anything to keep a listing up, the cost is all in getting it listed.

I'm going to say it's ok to cheat on your taxes sometimes but to do it all the time is a sad way to live.
Your argument is flawed. Breaking the law is never acceptable. And you can offer whatever you want in the stock market. But constantly offering lowball buy offers won't get you very far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter