Ghosted by Travel Agent

utahgirl

Earning My Ears
I was working with a travel agent for my NYE /marathon weekend trip. They booked my room, and wanted me to book tickets through them (but I could get a discount with work). I have reached out asking for their opinion on park reservations days and it’s been over a week with out any response, not even an out of office email. The main reason I was using a TA was to get help with dining reservation/opinions on park plans, as the last time we were at WDW was over a decade ago. The agent probably won’t make a huge commission with us as we will not be doing a vip tour, and just want 1 sit down/premium dining per day. Now I’m not sure what to do. Should I reach out to the Travel Agency and ask for a new agent or try and book a room on my own and cancel the one they made? Anyone ever deal with a situation like this.

If I were you, I'd just book it yourself and cut your losses. I have never used a TA for disney or any travel for that matter but knowing it's NYE/holiday travel, I'd just book it for fear of not getting the resort you want.

As far as dining, it's fairly painless to book your own ADRs. I don't know what you're referring to by "premium" but if you mean sit down meal, you can do all that yourself. Just familiarize yourself with the policy on when your booking window opens and prioritize your selections and put the more in-demand/hard to get meals closer to the end of your trip.

In the interest of time book a duplicate reservation and if you get what you want then canx TA one and make your own restaurant reservations. If you need help on exactly how to do anything just read these boards here or ask us and we are happy to help!

I would think if you do some more searching there are some people around that can help you out. I think they basically help you book and plan your entire trip.

Book your own room and cancel your TA room- if you can find availability to book a room. I would not go back to that agency in the future or for this trip.

Because it’s such a high demand time I would handle the ADRs myself. Set the alarm, have the priorities ready to go. You don’t need a TA for that and this way you’ll know you were trying the instant your window opens.

If the room you want isn’t available, contact the agency and ask for a different agent. At that time clarify if they book ADRs or not. If they can’t/won’t give you another try to request the booking be transferred to Disney’s control.

Last edited:
Did you send just one e-mail? Could you try e-mailing again or calling before you decide to cancel? It could just be a matter of your e-mail going to their Spam folder or ending up somewhere in cyberspace.

How did you solve it actually? I would try to find a new travel agent, which is more trustworthy and reliable.
In my opinion it is important for someone to create mobile apps for travel agencies https://zoftify.com/solutions/mobile-apps-for-travel-agencies-and-tour-operators and have this part of their job more automatic. You should be able to book everything by yourself, just using the app from a particular travel agent and not wait for their response.

Last edited:

I was working with a travel agent for my NYE /marathon weekend trip. They booked my room, and wanted me to book tickets through them (but I could get a discount with work). I have reached out asking for their opinion on park reservations days and it’s been over a week with out any response, not even an out of office email. The main reason I was using a TA was to get help with dining reservation/opinions on park plans, as the last time we were at WDW was over a decade ago. The agent probably won’t make a huge commission with us as we will not be doing a vip tour, and just want 1 sit down/premium dining per day. Now I’m not sure what to do. Should I reach out to the Travel Agency and ask for a new agent or try and book a room on my own and cancel the one they made? Anyone ever deal with a situation like this.

You are on to the inner workings of the travel business. So many vendors (airlines, hotels) have reduced or eliminated commissions there is nothing in it really for the agencies unless they are selling high end products like ADB or cruises.

All of this can be booked by the traveler now with the integration of PCs into our life.

Much unlike the "old" days when you had to call an agent who had a terminal and knew how to access the "mainframe".

Last edited:
Just to let you know, theme park reservations will not be required beginning on January 9, 2024 as long as your tickets are date based.

While there is no hard and fast rule, I have found that most TA's won't book dining reservations for you unless you book a room and ticket package with them. They don't make much commission otherwise and the reservation service is really just a value add they are offering, not something required of them.

I'm not saying this excuses her ghosting you. She should at least reply and explain her policy if that's what it is.

Buy a copy of the Touring Plans guide, log in and look at the crowd calendars, make various park day plans, look at room recommendations, make room requests etc. Everything is there.

I only use travel agents when I don’t feel like doing the work myself. When I do employ one I understand that this is their bread and butter and just let them get to ordering. As long as I don’t feel like I’m being skinned its all fine.

Ive never used a TA for WDW and have always gotten what I wanted by dint of my own internet abilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter