Gifting memberships to immediate family members

LouisianaDisneyFan

DVC owner, Disney stockholder, & all-around fan!
UPDATE -- The process is SUPER EASY now! Thank you, DVC Member Administration, for the much-appreciated streamlining of this process! I have posted the pdf that I was sent by Member Administration yesterday as well as information regarding the recording of the deed that I received from the Orange County Comptroller's Office in comment #15 further down this thread (https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...mmediate-family-members.3922332/post-64884326). Again, thanks everybody here for the help. <3
----------

Original post:

Hello! Years ago, we gifted four of our memberships to immediate family members. We gave our daughter a contract for college graduation, gave our son a contract for college graduation, gave my mother a BLT contract (sole ownership) and gave my mother and brother a BWV contract (joint ownership). We did not use a title company or attorney, but of course signed all of the documents before a notary public. I remember that we FAXed a form of some type to DVC Member Administration letting them know what we wanted to do, and then they responded with a Waiver of ROFR for each of the contracts. We then sent in a signed and notarized deed for each contract, along with the Waiver of ROFR for each contract, to the Orange County Clerk of Court... along with the appropriate fees. But, all of this was a number of years ago.... so the details are a bit fuzzy.

My mother no longer wants to travel (to Disney or anywhere else), and so she asked if I would mind if she removed her name from the BWV contract we gifted to her and my brother jointly,, and she asked if she could give back the BLT contract that we gave to her solely. Well... of course we said yes. :-) Can someone please refresh my memory regarding how we go about this with DVC Member Administration (where do I find the form, what's the current FAX number, has the policy changed, etc)?

Thanks for any info! :-)

Last edited:

The thread PixiePrincess925 linked starts with information to send a request for ROFR waiver... but erionm said that was no longer required. Which is correct? Thanks again for any info! :-)

The thread PixiePrincess925 linked starts with information to send a request for ROFR waiver... but erionm said that was no longer required. Which is correct? Thanks again for any info! :-)
That post hasn't been updated since 2019. Dropping the waiver for gratuitous transfers was fairly recent (last couple of years).

I have had to do it twice in 2022.
Simple deed to the comptroller’s office,
Simple letter to member administration.

The Orange County comptrollers office is very helpful. I would start by calling them or member admin.

Recording was 10 bucks a page or something cheap like that.

Member admin, had a form, but they said they would also take an email.

Last edited:
I have to do it twice in 2022.
Simple deed to the comptroller’s office,
Simple letter to member administration.

The Orange County comptrollers office is very helpful. I would start by calling them or member admin.

Recording was 10 bucks a page or something cheap like that.

Member admin, had a form, but they said they would also take an email.
Thank you all! That's terrific! :-)

Does anyone know if the Orange County will take credit card. We are in Canada and doing this now, but not sure about the exchange and a Canadian funds cheque.

And sorry,,,the Notary is just for the Me, who is on the title now,,,not for my wife who I am adding, is that correct...thanks
Also if adding names, I put my name as the Grantor, and mine and my wifes as the Grantee?
Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Orange County will take credit card. We are in Canada and doing this now, but not sure about the exchange and a Canadian funds cheque.
Orange County Comptroller's Office now offers eRecording via 3rd party. We just used a very reasonably priced one, Deeds.com, to record the deeds. This whole process has been SO much easier than last time! Disney Member Administration emailed us the New Member Information forms, I did a cut and paste of our old deeds (changing appropriate names and dates) to reflect the new ownership, we went to the notary to sign, scanned the notarized deeds, uploaded them to Deeds.com, and they were recorded. I then scanned in the signed New Member Information forms and emailed them along with the scanned copies of the recorded deeds to the email address that Member Administration provided. What took well over a month to accomplish last time was accomplished in two days this time. HUGE improvement!

For those wondering, the cost for Deeds.com was $21 plus the recording fees... which is actually less expensive than it would be to send the deeds certified or Priority Mail with a prepaid Priority Mail return envelope included. The current recording fees are: $10.00/first page, $8.50/each additional page, $0.70 deed doc tax (IF you are using the standard language of "in consideration of the sum of $10.00" that I see in most of these transfers). Remember, this is only for GRATUITOUS transfers between family members. If you are accepting payment for the transfer, then the process and deed doc tax are different.

I'll post a pdf of the info page that Disney Member Administration sent back to me yesterday. :-)

Attachments

• New Owner Information Form 06.21.pdf
    227.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I assume you can’t break out points and gift those contracts? My ex-husband and I share two contracts but eventually may want to transfer to our kids but I’m assuming I can’t take 1/2 the points on say contract A and give to child 1 and then the rest of the points on contract A to child 2?

I assume you can’t break out points and gift those contracts? My ex-husband and I share two contracts but eventually may want to transfer to our kids but I’m assuming I can’t take 1/2 the points on say contract A and give to child 1 and then the rest of the points on contract A to child 2?
You can't split contracts.

Just sent to Deeds.com,,,,,will keep all updated on time line. Deeds is closed Mon and Tues so see if it comes thru today,,,then see how long Disney takes.
Big thanks to all who have helped us here.

edit,,,update;
Friday June 30th
11:18 signed up for deeds.coom
11:19 submitted docs
11:45 had invoice and paid $48.70,,,,,21 to deeds,,,27.70 Orange county,,,,all with deeds
11:53 deeds submitted docs,,,,now waiting Orange county
Now it is a long weekend both here in Canada and in the USA,,,so chilled and waited knowing nothing till at least wed.
Wed, 9:30am email from deeds,,,Successful recording of deed,,,busy all day so not till night checked on all,,,
CHECK THE Orange County Comptroller's Office TO MAKE SURE ITS RIGHT.
Everything was right,,,except it said Disney Riviera Resort,,,ours is SSR.
Sent email to OCC explaining,,,,
Thurs 10am email from OCC,,,saying sorry and all changed...double check all good.
Thurs 3:30pm sent all docs to Disney,,,and wait.

UPDATE JULY 26TH,23
So after 3 and a half weeks,,,they have updated and added wife,,,,very easy process....the only thing was the waiting for Disney,,,much like buying resale....lol
But at least we know how to do it,,,and should be very easy for anyone else if we were able to, plus very inexpensive. Total around $100, would have been less if I knew the notary.lol.
Good luck all,,,,and many thanks to the 1st to help us and put this together.
Big side note,,,Wife and her twin are down at MK today for their 50th bdays,,,,and membership came thru today....Happy Birthday to them

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter