Gluten Free in Disney

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
My sister was just diagnosed with Celiac. After months of discomfort to say the least, she's glad to finally have an answer but she is BUMMED about her new gluten free life. She loves beer and bread in addition to many other items that will forever be off limits. Anyway, she's very nervous about eating out in restaurants with her new allergy. Can she eat french fries? Are there any GF beers in Disney? Will quick service be difficult? Should we plan on more table service? We have a character breakfast at Tusker House planned. Should we skip this since it's a buffet? I don't know (and she doesn't really know yet either) how sensitive she will be to cross contamination.

Any seasoned Celiac sufferers have tips for a GF Disney trip?

Also, and I'm sure her doc will tell her this, but is GF like peanut free? Can we keep gluten-y items in our suite or will that likely bother her?

Thanks!

She shouldn’t be nervous Disney is the best at accomadating allergies! My boyfriend is GF, and we’ve been going several times a year for the last coue years and never had a problem.

She can eat french fries at most places, as long as they have a dedicated fryer they’ll be safe. Most Disney restaurants do. Some third party restaurants don’t (for example Homecomin’ doesn’t have GF fries available). They’ll let you know when you tell them your allergy what’s safe.

I believe there are GF beers in some places. My boyfriend doesn’t really drink much so he’s never tried any and I’m not sure where. Hard ciders are also GF, and just about any other alcoholic drink too.

Quick service might take a couple minutes longer and you won’t be able to use the MDE app to order ahead where it’s allowed. I wouldn’t avoid it but we do mostly TS our of personal preferences and because there can be more variety to the allergy choices. Dluxe Burger, Satu’li Canteen, and Blaze Pizza are good QS wih Gf options for example. And all the resorts will have GF choices.

Defintely keep Tusker House. It’s great food and allergy friendly. At buffets if you’re afraid of cross contamination then let the chef know, and they’ll bring fresh food from the back. They also will probably have some allergy versions of donuts, toast, waffles they’ll bring out.

Let me know if you’re curious about anything else. I also have food reviews marked in my signature (usually as “DTR”), that have GF reviews in them for many restaurants. I would also definitely look at the menus ahead of time some third party restaurants in DS & Epcot, and most the festival booths don’t have much available (aside from some drinks), but that’s about the only places that seems to be an issue. And always mark it on the reservation and then we usually mention it at the restaurant too.

I don’t want to speak for everyone because I may be wrong, but I know a couple people who are GF and the allergy isn’t like peanuts. They can be in the room and near the items, some people are even okay with some cross contamination (but if you’re unsure don’t take the chance they’ll be able to accomadate). My boyfriend and I store both GF and non GF food in our kitchen and he even cooks the non GF food for me sometimes with no issue. Just don’t store GF and non GF food together and wash dishes between using them for Gf and non GF food. Out of the people I know that have the allergy, there’s a variety of reactions to eating it, but none have issues being around it so as for being in the same room I’d say that’s fine.

Last edited:
There are loads of threads on here about gluten free eating. You can use the search function for any specific questions and or restaurant experiences . People are also very good with replying about their experience eating gluten-free at Disney.
I've had many gluten free meals in Disney I feel safer eating there than I do at any restaurant near where I live. As long as your sister clearly notes on your dining reservations that she is gluten-free , and reminds them when you get to the restaurant , she should be fine.
As for storing gluten items near or along with gluten-free items , that can cause a cross-contamination issue . Just like putting gluten-free bread in a toaster that was just used for gluten-containing bread, crumbs can transfer. Some of it depends on how sensitive she is . One of my friend's daughter is severely sensitive and she has to use separate pots for cooking and she has her own plate and utensils.

Thank you all so much!! Like I said, this is new for her, but we have until June for our trip, so hopefully by then she'll have a lot more things figured out. I know Disney is amazing with food allergies.

I've already made a few ADRs. Can I edit to include dietary restrictions? Or should I cancel and make new ones?

Thank you all so much!! Like I said, this is new for her, but we have until June for our trip, so hopefully by then she'll have a lot more things figured out. I know Disney is amazing with food allergies.

I've already made a few ADRs. Can I edit to include dietary restrictions? Or should I cancel and make new ones?
You used to have to call to have Disney edit to include the restrictions. Now, I don't know. For me, I would just call.

I agree. I would call and ask them to add the gluten-free note on your existing ADRs. I would not give up existing ADRs.

Defintely keep Tusker House. It’s great food and allergy friendly. At buffets if you’re afraid of cross contamination then let the chef know, and they’ll bring fresh food from the back. They also will probably have some allergy versions of donuts, toast, waffles they’ll bring out.

Allergy friendly versions of Mickey waffles?? Ha. I know she'll be disappointed to miss out on those :-)

My mom was diagnosised a few years ago. She hasn't been to Disney so I can't comment on that though I am trying to get her to go with us on our next trip. My mom is very sensitive to gluten. She can be in the same room with it but if someone is cooking noodles she needs to be in a different room as that will make her sick. She definitely avoids my house when DH is brewing beer. There is so much Gluten in the air then.

Disney is so good with allergies that I would think she would be ok. She will just need to be up front with every place that she eats and let them know that she GF.

This will make my sister feel SO much better about her diagnosis. It looks like a totally normal plate of food. Thank you so much :-)

Aw definitely! It’s an adjustment to change how you eat, but they can do a lot at Disney. She’ll still be able to eat a lot of regular dishes on the menu, and a lot of them can be modified. Some stuff will probably taste a bit different (like GF versions of bread), but it won’t taste bad. I eat GF a lot with my boyfriend and things like GF pasta/burger buns don’t really taste any different to me.

Also they have a GF and vegan bakery called Erin Mckenna’s, my boyfriend loves the donuts and crumb cake there. (And I hear Nomad Lounge at AK has GF churros).

EB0594B6-FE47-40B3-829B-FB62E4738950.jpeg

She shouldn’t be nervous Disney is the best at accomadating allergies!

I couldn't agree more. My D is allergic to dairy, eggs, and soy, and she had no trouble eating at WDW. The restaurants take allergies very seriously, and many TS restaurants now have "allergy menus", where I noticed that they designated which items were gluten free also. The chef will come out and talk to you if you designate gluten-free on your reservation, and he/she will make sure you're taken care of. :) You can also find out about gluten-free options for CS meals ahead of time, and that's what I'd recommend (just Google it or do a search here on the Disboards and you'll find a ton of info). For our trip last year, we actually made a Pinterest page for each park, and on each park page we had photos and links to the food items my D could safely eat and where they could be found...this worked much better for us than the paper lists we made in the past that would sometimes accidentally be forgotten at the hotel room. :(

Chef TJ is at Trail's End now I believe, and he loves making special meals for people with allergies and food intolerances. It's a bit out of the way unless you're staying at FW or WL, but it was the highlight of the trip last year for our daughter...he made her 7 incredibly delicious, beautiful, and special courses for our unforgettable meal there. If your schedule will allow for it, and if Chef TJ is on that night (that's always the trick), you won't be disappointed!

Have a wonderful trip! :)

Also they have a GF and vegan bakery called Erin Mckenna’s, my boyfriend loves the donuts and crumb cake there. (And I hear Nomad Lounge at AK has GF churros).
Yes, Nomad Lounge has them. And they are incredible.

But I have to say, I am not impressed AT ALL with Erin McKenna's. She uses bean flours in the baked goods and coconut oil in the frosting. I don't like either. It is great if you have multiple allergies or are vegan. But if you have to avoid gluten, there are much better options out there.

Yes, Nomad Lounge has them. And they are incredible.

But I have to say, I am not impressed AT ALL with Erin McKenna's. She uses bean flours in the baked goods and coconut oil in the frosting. I don't like either. It is great if you have multiple allergies or are vegan. But if you have to avoid gluten, there are much better options out there.

I agree! I’m not a fan at all of Erin McKennas either.

No you don’t have to, I sometimes forget when booking to add gluten allergy but when you check in just mention you’d like an allergy menu. They have them printed up at all Disney owned TS restaurants. Some of the non Dis-owned restaurants don’t have a printed menu but the waiter can tell you what can be made GF. One of the best GF items I had on our recent trip was the French onion soup at Chefs De France with GF bread in it! Soooo good! I haven’t had “proper” French onion soup in years! And their creme brûlée is amazing too! And the salmon dish at Rose and Crown was one of the best on property meals I’ve ever had. It’s naturally GF, they didn’t have to do anything to it. Enjoy the trip!!

This is all such great advice/support. The GF community seems very friendly and informative. Thanks so much! We will definitely keep our Tusker House ADR and probably make a few more, as it seems like TS will be easier. I guess we'll know more after she is able to gauge her sensitivity level.

I have a friend who developed celiac post-pregnancy and when she comes over for dinner it's pretty easy to cook for her. We usually do rice based dishes and drink wine :-)

I am just starting my first trip since realizing I have a gluten sensitivity (luckily not celiac). I have significant digestion issues and it spikes my blood pressure through the roof. I have read that Raglan Road in Disney Springs is excellent with Gluten free and they can even do fish and chips. I have seen many allergy menus listed on various sites for Disney TS. I am looking forward to having gf mickey waffles!!!! Oh and I read that Dole Whip is gluten free and that they even have gluten free churros. Don't cancel your ADR at Tusker House. I read that a chef will come out and go over the buffet with you to explain what is gluten free. In general Disney sounds like a wonderful place to be gluten free. Now if they just had a gf Mickey Pretzel !!!!!

There are so many wonderful gluten free options at Disney. I feel more comfortable eating there than anywhere at home. The churros at Nomad Lounge are a must! I had an incredible gf pasta meal at Trattoria al Forno. You'd be amazed what they can make gf these days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter