Going Solo

kathyk2

DIS Veteran
Has anyone gone to WDW by themselves? I have an opportunity to go to WDW next November but I'm nervous about the possibility of going alone. I'd be joining a group of other people with disabilities.

I have toured by myself for up to a week while my dh worked. I toured until dinner time about half the time and totally by myself (he had work dinners) the rest of the time. I use an ECV. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have if you think my experience would be useful. In general, I had a lot of fun-- I wasn't sure how it would work out but it was great and now I look forward to going every year. The only downside is that I cannot readily do rides where I need to transfer into a manual wc, although CMs have pushed me up quite a few times. My favorite for touring alone is Epcot: I zip about faster in my ECV than if I was with someone walking to go to the different shows, etc., and the CMs in World Showcase chat with me if I seem open to it -- very interesting!

:wave: Cupcake

You don't say what your disability is.

I use an electric powered wheelchair, and find the ability to get around WDW (all the parks, Downtown, all the resorts) by fully accessible transport a great liberation.

I don't visit alone, but my wife is a pool person and I am not (I cannot get in & out of a pool). As a result I spend much of each day alone in a park, shopping at downtown or visiting resorts. I have no problem with spending my time alone, as there is so much to do and everyone is so friendly.

The only problem for me, is one of safety and convenience in our room at night. If I am not especially carefull, I can fall making transfers into and out of my chair, so It is good to have someone around to summon help, if I end up on the floor.

Andrew

Originally posted by kathyk2
Has anyone gone to WDW by themselves? I have an opportunity to go to WDW next November but I'm nervous about the possibility of going alone. I'd be joining a group of other people with disabilities.

If you have difficulty in opening a heavy, hydraulic door that closes by itself you will find that it is possible to get trapped in or out of your room unless someone is around to hold the door. Ask the Engineering Manager to have someone come and remove the arm that controls the door. Don't take any guff, just ask them to do it. By removing the arm at the top of the door it will work like a regular door and will stay open until you get through. I never did tackle them about the laundry room doors but it's on my list.... I stayed at Pop Century, AKL, and POR last month and had Engineering fix the room door at all three. I use an ECV one-handed and self-closing doors, unless operated by a wall-mounted button, are impossible...

I go alone all the time...When problems crop up, ask a CM for help.... If you are expecting to eat at a food court, take a set of regular silverware and several packages of those pre-packaged moist towelettes with you so you can bypass the condiment counter...You'll find that when the counter person comes out to help carry your food, they always forget to stop there and usually just make a beeline for a table....It's so much easier if you don't have to desert your food and go all the way back for hand wipes or silverware.....catsup is another thing, though... Best counter service assistance I got was at Casey's on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom (Cash liked watching the squirrels there, too)....Second best was Flame Tree Barbecue in AK.

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard

I use an electric powered wheelchair, and find the ability to get around WDW (all the parks, Downtown, all the resorts) by fully accessible transport a great liberation.

Andrew

Don't you find the lack of automatic doors at Downtown Disney a pain? There is not one single store there that has automatic doors. If you're traveling alone you have to wait for someone to open the door for you....rain or shine.

Thanks for the input. What are the crowds like during the first week of November?I'm thinking of going November 1st through the 6th. 2005. My biggest fear is getting knocked over by someone.

Originally posted by videogal1
Don't you find the lack of automatic doors at Downtown Disney a pain? There is not one single store there that has automatic doors. If you're traveling alone you have to wait for someone to open the door for you....rain or shine.

I can't say that I had ever noticed this. However, I always visit in September when temperatures are comfortable and most doors are left open.

Someone recommended taking one of those long dog leashes that retract into the handle. You tie it to the door handle, back up 'till the door is open, then drive forward reeling in the leash as you go.

Andrew

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
I can't say that I had ever noticed this. However, I always visit in September when temperatures are comfortable and most doors are left open.

Someone recommended taking one of those long dog leashes that retract into the handle. You tie it to the door handle, back up 'till the door is open, then drive forward reeling in the leash as you go.

Andrew
That's fine if you happen to have one hand for the leash, another to drive the scooter with and no service dog to keep from getting caught in the door as it closes......
one hand?....can't be done entering...Getting out...I use my good leg as a battering ram and force my way through, stopping halfway for Cash to get through...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter