Going to WDW with Autistic + ADHD nephew who’s used to a priority pass at DLP

That was SO SWEET of the person at the last door! I miss the GAC, but long live the DAS!

And to realfoodfans, it's the room everyone goes into at the beginning, with no windows, and no doors. (It might not be really stretching - it could be just your imagination. Mwahahaha!!! :teeth:)

Yes, I found in general that everyone was very sweet about the whole thing, guests AND staff. (He has a tendency to walk up and talk to random people, which can sometimes get interesting... lol.)It helps that he was 6 at the time (such a cute age), and due to his high sensitivity all that week, he insisted on wearing his sunglasses (even indoors, if it was bright!), he wore his noise cancelling headphones ALL THE TIME, and he had on his chew necklace and was gnawing on it like it was providing oxygen. It made his usually "invisible" sensory issues clearer. And thanks to DAS (and being generally prepared), things went SO smoothly. We didn't have ONE meltdown in 6 very stimulating days.

Yes, I found in general that everyone was very sweet about the whole thing, guests AND staff. (He has a tendency to walk up and talk to random people, which can sometimes get interesting... lol.)It helps that he was 6 at the time (such a cute age), and due to his high sensitivity all that week, he insisted on wearing his sunglasses (even indoors, if it was bright!), he wore his noise cancelling headphones ALL THE TIME, and he had on his chew necklace and was gnawing on it like it was providing oxygen. It made his usually "invisible" sensory issues clearer. And thanks to DAS (and being generally prepared), things went SO smoothly. We didn't have ONE meltdown in 6 very stimulating days.
Sounds so similar to DGS - sunglasses are a priority, ear defenders for noises - he is just 8 and has eased up on chewing and has his necklaces in a box but not used them for a while - he too loves to talk to ANYONE! I might find if there's video of that room as I don't think he could deal with it.

Sounds so similar to DGS - sunglasses are a priority, ear defenders for noises - he is just 8 and has eased up on chewing and has his necklaces in a box but not used them for a while - he too loves to talk to ANYONE! I might find if there's video of that room as I don't think he could deal with it.

There is at least one video on YouTube of the room! On a "good" day, he might have been able to handle it--but between the volume, the visual confusion of the "stretching", and the tight crowd, I knew it would be too much that day.

The part you are interested in starts around 2:40. We also didn't have to wait in the waiting area before the stretching room, which was nice.

Here is a video
. not sure if it is Disneyland or Disney world

We did WDW last year with my son who is special needs. He also cannot do long lines or closed spaces. He has good and bad days, however. So I was relieved when we discovered how simple it was to accommodate what he needed, and if it changed from day to day. The day we did Haunted Mansion, he could NOT have done the stretching room. We just told the person at the last door, and they showed us an alternate route that took us straight to the ride. If we had not mentioned it, (if it had been a good day) we could have just entered the stretching room with everyone else. Just be aware of the rights and rules--we had one ride attendant try to tell us that they couldn't do what we were asking. We calmly asked for a supervisor, who immediately follow their protocol and allowed us the alternate entrance--no problem. The best part for us about the DAS, was that anyone in our party (myself, my husband or my parents) could take the cards, go to a ride with a long wait, and sign us in. If that ride had a 45 min wait, we were given a return time of 45 minutes later--we showed up and went straight in. So you do your waiting, but somewhere else. Sometimes we were able to get in a ride with a short line, or just looked around the shops or something. And he never knew we were waiting. It helped tons that he never had to approach the long line and walk away again--we sent one person ahead. Just be prepared to speak up and ask. Something else that helped in the short lines we DID wait for--we bought him noise-reduction headphones, sunglasses, and a special chewable necklace. Having those things to reduce some of the noise and visuals, and give him a stimming outlet helped immensely! We went 6 long days without ONE meltdown.

your son sounds so much like my nephew! He has noise-reduction headphones too and recently started constantly chewing on his shirts. His parents are looking into the chewable necklaces. Do you have any you recommend?
We also need to think to pack sunglasses! We rarely need those here...

We're used to asked for accomodation at DLP, CMs are so helpful when they know his needs. I hope the language barrier won't be too much of an issue as I'm the only fluent english speaker in the group.

If you are renting a stroller, you can get a stroller as a wheelchair tag as well. That will allow you to take the stroller in line and help with the "buffer" issue. I don't think you'll get much flack from people in line with a 3 foot buffer but you may get some from cast members as they REALLY like to squash as many people in as possible sometimes and will repeatedly ask you to "fill in all available space"

I was going to say that WDW is, I believe, much more crowded with much younger people and more people with other disabilities (plus all the language barriers with other customers, especially large tour groups). Anyhow, as a parent, I would try to respect your buffer, but a toddler or another child with ADHD or autism might have a hard time controlling that impulse to run up especially if the CM is saying "move forward, fill in space, keep moving."
Anyway that you can take care of that buffer yourself would be great (headphones, stroller, etc)

your son sounds so much like my nephew! He has noise-reduction headphones too and recently started constantly chewing on his shirts. His parents are looking into the chewable necklaces. Do you have any you recommend?
We also need to think to pack sunglasses! We rarely need those here...

We're used to asked for accomodation at DLP, CMs are so helpful when they know his needs. I hope the language barrier won't be too much of an issue as I'm the only fluent english speaker in the group.
We bought Chewbuddy and Chewigem necklaces for DGS as he got through so many t-shirts chewing round the necks and sleeves. He is currently hardly chewing but he has them in a box ready. They were from a sensory support but available on Amazon.

We did WDW last year with my son who is special needs. He also cannot do long lines or closed spaces. He has good and bad days, however. So I was relieved when we discovered how simple it was to accommodate what he needed, and if it changed from day to day. The day we did Haunted Mansion, he could NOT have done the stretching room. We just told the person at the last door, and they showed us an alternate route that took us straight to the ride. If we had not mentioned it, (if it had been a good day) we could have just entered the stretching room with everyone else. Just be aware of the rights and rules--we had one ride attendant try to tell us that they couldn't do what we were asking. We calmly asked for a supervisor, who immediately follow their protocol and allowed us the alternate entrance--no problem. The best part for us about the DAS, was that anyone in our party (myself, my husband or my parents) could take the cards, go to a ride with a long wait, and sign us in. If that ride had a 45 min wait, we were given a return time of 45 minutes later--we showed up and went straight in. So you do your waiting, but somewhere else. Sometimes we were able to get in a ride with a short line, or just looked around the shops or something. And he never knew we were waiting. It helped tons that he never had to approach the long line and walk away again--we sent one person ahead. Just be prepared to speak up and ask. Something else that helped in the short lines we DID wait for--we bought him noise-reduction headphones, sunglasses, and a special chewable necklace. Having those things to reduce some of the noise and visuals, and give him a stimming outlet helped immensely! We went 6 long days without ONE meltdown.

Not sure what you mean by "rights and rules" but accommodation access can depend on time of day, staffing, and other issues. So what works a certain way one day may work another way later on that day, or the day after. It's always good to ask a CM for assistance, but be prepared to be offered different assistance (but still access) from info given on the internet.

Not sure what you mean by cards? DAS is put on the magic bands or tickets. They haven't used cards for a while.

I hope the language barrier won't be too much of an issue as I'm the only fluent english speaker in the group.

Have you considered a translation app for those who might not be a fluent as you are?

Not sure what you mean by cards? DAS is put on the magic bands or tickets. They haven't used cards for a while.

I read that to mean "everybody's ticket cards" -- assuming PP likely stayed offsite and did not purchase MBs.

And true that some attraction-specific accommodations may or may not be available, even if it was previously. It's not as much a case of "rights and rules" but logistics at that point in time. One where this frequently occurs is the slowing of moving walkways. You are welcome to ask but if it impacts the attraction operation and/or safety to other guests, they are allowed to decline.

Have you considered a translation app for those who might not be a fluent as you are?
I hadn’t even thought that far! Great idea! They should be able to speak enough English for most of their needs, but it can be a good backup plan if they’re struggling in a situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter