Golden Ears

mAlien13

Down with Disney
It seems like I read something somewhere saying that you cannot have names stitched on the Golden Ears...is that true or not true?

Thanks! :teeth:

When I was in DL last June, a cast member told me that they were getting rid of the "Hand Stitching" and they were going to having a computer stitch the names on the ears. It should be interesting to see how they look done by a computer vs. the hand stitch

diznefan76 said:
When I was in DL last June, a cast member told me that they were getting rid of the "Hand Stitching" and they were going to having a computer stitch the names on the ears. It should be interesting to see how they look done by a computer vs. the hand stitch

They are going to computerized machines. They look ok. They are missing the "flair" of having them done by hand- you know, little extra swirls at the end or little hearts, etc. They also take way longer to do. I had 4 pairs done at Star trader in Oct. I had to leave them and come back in 25 minutes. The hat shop on main street (next to the bank ) still does them by hand. I had three pairs done there in March. It took the guy about 5 minutes to do them all, and he was chatting with us while he did it!

They are replacing the machines with computerized ones because they can no longer get repair parts for the old machines.

There are a few styles of ears that they will not put names on. I think they are the tie dyed ones, one with the pictures on the ears, and maybe one other. The gold ones are not on that list!

karylrocks said:
Not true - I have my name on mine!

Mine say " Mom" :teeth: When I go next month I think I'll get a pair with my name on them. I was with my kids when I got "mom", but I'll be with friends next month.

When we went last May my daughter and my mom both got their Golden Minnie Ears embroidered. We were told they just can't do other hat types because the machine doesn't work well on those, but the Golden's are fine. Now of course things change, but that's what the deal was last year. I didn't check when we just went last month though. Good luck!

Kim

Just a side note...you have to have your real name stitched on, not a nickname. I'm surprised they put "mom" on there. I wanted our VMK names on our Gold Ears, but they would not allow it and told me that you "have to have your name as it appears on your birth certificate." Of course, they aren't going to check your birth certificate! But it has to at least be a legitimate sounding name. :) (I got away with Kit btw, which is not my name on my birth certificate).

They will do common generic title sort of nicknames . We had "Granny" and "Pa Pa" put on ears for my MIL and FIL. They will not do personal nicknames. For example, they wont do Bugaboo and Doodlebug for our children.

Wow, reading these now, I'm surprised my boyfriend was able to get his nickname on his hat. I don't even think of it as a nickname, just his name, but the CM last year did "Jojo" for him. I actually wouldn't think that would fit as one of the common nicknames, either!

This is a relief! I am gald we will be able to have them stitched!!
Thanks so much everyone.

My youngest got his nickname on his when he was bout 2. They even knew how to spell "osito" which means little bear!

No nicknames??? My mom had "Ma" put on her golden's and "gramps" on my step-dad's good ole' fashioned Mickey's, since that is what the kids call them. They got no flack for that at all. I am really surprised that at THE place where they promote fantasy and all that comes with it that they won't let you put a nickname on a hat with ears!?!? I could see if was offensive, then I would totally understand....but otherwise....:confused3

Our high school band kids wanted to have Hot Mama put on one for the mom of one of the kids. They would not do it. After some thought I could see that some people might want something not "family friendly" put on and it is just better to say "No Nicknames" to everyone. I explained this to our hs kids and they understood. The CM did put initials H.M. on for them though and of course "Hot Mama" knew what that was when we got home and presented it to her. :teeth:

KimD said:
No nicknames??? My mom had "Ma" put on her golden's and "gramps" on my step-dad's good ole' fashioned Mickey's, since that is what the kids call them. They got no flack for that at all. I am really surprised that at THE place where they promote fantasy and all that comes with it that they won't let you put a nickname on a hat with ears!?!? I could see if was offensive, then I would totally understand....but otherwise....:confused3
Their thought might be who is going to decide what is offensive? CM? Argue with a guest about whether or not some name (Hot Mama) is offensive? They probably are wise to just say no nicknames and then be reasonable with grandparent type nicknames.

hlbtimes2 said:
They are going to computerized machines. They look ok. They are missing the "flair" of having them done by hand- you know, little extra swirls at the end or little hearts, etc. They also take way longer to do. I had 4 pairs done at Star trader in Oct. I had to leave them and come back in 25 minutes. The hat shop on main street (next to the bank ) still does them by hand. I had three pairs done there in March. It took the guy about 5 minutes to do them all, and he was chatting with us while he did it!

They are replacing the machines with computerized ones because they can no longer get repair parts for the old machines.

There are a few styles of ears that they will not put names on. I think they are the tie dyed ones, one with the pictures on the ears, and maybe one other. The gold ones are not on that list!

We were at DL in Oct and my DS got his name on the tie dyed ears. I wanted them so bad, but settled for the Golden Ears (w/ Dad hand stiched on).

That is too bad that they are getting rid of the old machines...it is so much nicer to have the peronal flair put on the hat.

We were there in January. ME and DSS had our name on our golden ears. and the machine was the classic(not computerized) I was excited about that having known that they would not be there forever. we had them done at the mad hatters. how do they know what is a nickname? my nickname is Collee, a few years ago i had a hat(not ears) stitched with that. I have seen some strange names parents choose for kids. how would they know.although i call my DN stinky. so they could tell that isnt here name! :p

It must depend on the operator. We had our family name put on one EARS and my g-sons nickname put on another. This was back in May. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter