Good Walt Disney books?

mommyceratops

<font color=red>Covets Clown School<br><font color
What are some of your favorite Disney books? (Kevin and everyone on the boards let me know)

About Walt and imagineering? I got some amazon gc for Christmas and my Birthday and was thinking I might spoil myself and get something for me! Ha! Imagine that?!

Open to any and all Disney related recommendations.

TIA! popcorn::

Kevin and Pod Squads let me know what you like?

I have purchased:

Inside the Dream: The Personal Story of Walt Disney (Book)
Walt Disney: The Triumph of The American Imagination (Book)
Walt: The Man Behind the Myth (DVD)

I liked the Inside the Dream book the best. It was very informative and include a ton of photos. The DVD is also very well done and it is based off of Inside the Dream. I was able to get both from Amazon for a real good price.

Brian

Feb 08 - WDW & Cruise (offsite)
Feb 07 - WDW (offsite)
Feb 06 - WDW (offsite)
Feb 05 - WDW (offsite)
Dec 97 - WDW Honeymoon (Port Orleans)

I bought my husband the biography called An American Original Walt Disney written by Bob Thomas. My husband (who doesn't read much at all) could not seem to put the book down. He really enjoyed it. I just bought him the Imagineering Field Guide to Magic Kingdom. It is very easy just to read it in little spurts. I was enjoying the tidbits of information. My husband even made a comment that during our upcoming trip he wants to pay more attention to the details of the imagineering. It is facinating.

For Christmas I just bought my 15 year old son (and future Imagineer), "How To Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life". He's really enjoying it! (Bought on Amazon.com). Happy reading!

I'll second the vote for the Bob Thomas book; Walt Disney, an American Original.

The Disney Treasures by Robert Tieman, and his two subsequent books are very nice. They have pullout very real-looking copies of old documents, cartoon sketches, Disneyland tickets, etc. as a fun accompaniment to the actual text.
The author works at the Disney Archives with Dave Smith. You can look up Robert Tieman on Amazon to find the actual names of the books.

I just read this one with mu daughter for a book report, it is an easy read. Alot of info. Sure its not adult content but we loved it.

Walt : The Magical Life of Walt Disney [BARGAIN PRICE] (Hardcover)
by Jean-Pierre Isbouts (Author) "Walter Elias Disney was born in Chicago on December 5, 1901..." (more)
Key Phrases: Snow White, Kansas City, Los Angeles (more...)

Try any of the imagineering guides - I also got the Disney Mountains book for Christmas which is a very interesting read.

I just finished How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life and am currently reading Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination. I really enjoyed the first one. The second is good, but really, really dense. I'm only about 60 pages in (only 570 more pages), but I'm liking it so far.

If you decide to maybe get a DVD, the new Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, and Magic in the Disney Treasures line is really good. I just got it after waiting since 2005 when it was supposed to be released for the Happiest Celebration on Earth. I'm loving the DVD so far.

I have read enough about Walt's life and the facts about the early years of his career.

I tend to enjoy the first hand accounts and "insider" information.

Some of the recent ones I've enjoyed are:

Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent by Charles Ridgway

Realityland - True Life adventures at Walt Disney World
and
Mousetales - a Behind the Ears Lokk at Disneyland by David Koenig

The Complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal

Kevin

Here are my "must haves":
Disney A to Z by Dave Smith
The Wonderful World of Disney Television --by Bill Cotter
The Disney Films by Leonard Maltin

Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent by Charles Ridgway
I'm in the middle of reading this one right now and I'm really enjoying it.

For Christmas I just bought my 15 year old son (and future Imagineer), "How To Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life". He's really enjoying it! (Bought on Amazon.com). Happy reading!
I was reading this on maternity leave and really loved it. Now that I am back to work, I have yet to finish it, but it was a good read....and that is coming from someone who really isn't a reader.

Thanks! :surfweb: I am going to look over them all and order tonight! I am so excited!! :)

Mommy never gets herself a book! Although my DS7 is so into Walt right now I am keep on brainwashing :yay:

The ones I've read/am reading have been mentioned, but I'll just say it again: Walt Disney: An American Original was REALLY good and what I have read so far of How to Be Like Walt has been really good... some of the information is the same, of course, but with a cool, new angle. :) Happy Reading!

We have a couple that are about Disneyland called Mouse Tales and More Mouse Tales. The author interviewed cast members and researched various incidents that happened at DL over the years. He talks about everything from pranks the CMs play on guests, injuries on the rides and lawsuits (real and fabricated) filed against DL. There are some really funny stories and some that aren't so funny. Both books give you a good behind-the-scenes look at DL, although I thought the first one was better. My 12 year old son used Mouse Tales for a book report that was on informational non-fiction. The book fit the bill perfectly and he got to write about Disneyland!

There is a book "Storming the Castle"
My library is packed up to move at the moment other wise I would grab it to get the author and ISBN... but it tells the story from first hand account of how Disney was almost broken up and sold in the 80's. It talks about the Bass brothers being the white nights to bail the company out from hostile take over bids, how Eisner came to power, etc.

It is not a history of Walt, but it provides a lot of insight into why the company is run the way it is today.

This book was published in the late 80's I believe. When I get a chance, I open the box that it is in and get the info... and yes I am anal retentive enough to know what books are in what boxes while I am packed to move.

addendum...

Found the book on Amazon, it is out of print... Storming the Magic Kindgom.

"Disney is once again a golden name in Hollywood, but three years ago that wasn't the case, prompting a Disney family rift that erupted in a struggle for company control. But what Disney insiders saw as a mismanaged family business looked to Wall Street like a prime takeover candidate; the family squabble set off a chain of events that had such formidable financiers as Saul Steinberg, the Bass Brothers, even Ivan Boesky grappling for keys to the Magic Kingdom. Taylor, of Manhattan Inc., provides a detailed, conference-call-by-conference-call account of the ensuing paper war, in a narrative as fast-paced and exciting as a classic Disney adventure, with the company itself playing the Hayley Mills part: the imperiled, innocent heroine who at the end emerges harried but unharmedand more than a little wiser for the wear. Keeping financial jargon to a minimum, Taylor makes the Byzantine mechanics of contemporary finance easy to follow, shedding light on the takeover phenomenon and on the risks facing companies whose dearest assets are the creative talents of their employees."

Here's my favorite: WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING: A BEHIND-THE-DREAMS LOOK AT MAKING THE MAGIC REAL by the Imagineers themselves.

Tons and tons of photos, concept drawings, etc. from the Disney archives. It focuses mainly on the parks, as opposed to Disney animation.

Hardcover came out in 1996, paperback in 1998, still in print!

Sorry, tried to get a link to it for everyone but the DIS won't let me use that site that makes little URL's (what's up with that???) and the search result link is like four lines long from Amazon, you'll have to search it up yourselves.

Love Disney books. My favorites are "DisneyWar" and "Building a Company". The last one made me a huge Roy Disney fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter