• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got an email from Disney I'm not sure I understand

So I asked DH what he thought of no cash at wdw and he said they are probably doing it as an anti-terrorism measure.

So they're going to test how much this thwarts terrorism at AKL before they roll it out resort-wide?

How does your husband think they will evaluate this test?

Why do you keep going? Just an observation, you are on a number of threads and you are not happy. If you are dreading it, stop going! :)

Cashless is the way it's going to be almost everywhere at some point in the future.
Some of us own DVC and have trips planned 11 months out...BEFORE the latest and greatest enhancements were announced. We've also purchased Park and airline tickets. Plus, numerous DGKs that have been promised a trip. **sad cheer** We've already trimmed down from three visits a year to one. Now, DH wants to dump our points. Iger is continuing to suck the fun out of WDW. JMO

Years later...Disney's MB system still not so great. We NEVER depend on it...goes down way too often. We ALWAYS carry cash and cards.

BTW...how many threads constitutes a "number"? :confused3

Last edited:
I guess I'm just confused about how if you always carry cards, how having to POSSIBLY use one instead of cash is enough to make a trip not fun? I rarely expect anything to go exactly as I ideally plan it to, so maybe it's just a difference in personality?

They started the finger prints and bag searches shortly after 9/11. Disney is very concerned about terrorism. They just took away their do not disturb signs.

They don’t take finger*prints*. They scan them and turn the info into a numerical value which is compared the next time you use the ticket. No one is checking the print against law enforcement info.

It’s under Ticket Tag here.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/my-magic-plus-privacy/

In order to use Ticket Tag, you simply place your finger on a reader. The system, which utilizes the technology of biometrics, takes an image of your finger, converts the image into a unique numerical value and immediately discards the image. The numerical value is recalled when you use Ticket Tag with the same ticket to re-enter or visit another Park. Ticket Tag does not store fingerprints.

Are all guests required to use Ticket Tag?

If you don't want to use Ticket Tag, you can simply carry and show a photo ID that matches the name identified with your ticket.

But to your point, a corporation like Disney will have business continuity plans in place for if/when the MB system goes down if they are using that as a single form of payment. They would not be able to go live with that property-wide without a redundancy plan.

Hahahahahahaha. That’s at the concept of what you said being true. No, alas, Disney has no contingency plans. Unless it means “have the ability to pay somehow and figure it out with the lobby concierge when you get to your resort.” Which isn’t much of a contingency plan.

Yes, they have. The last time I did it was pre-MagicBand era but for a long time we didn't use credit cards, so we used cash rather than attaching the debit card linked to our checking account, and we never had a problem doing so. You just deposit the cash at the front desk and they set the amount of the deposit as your spending limit, rather than using the default limit for your resort tier. If you don't spend it all, the cash is refunded at check-out.

Since MBs they don’t do that. You cannot out cash up front and cannot secure a room charge account with cash. You can secure it with a card and then go pay cash as you wish, but you can’t do it up front.

I don't understand the argument that not being able to use cash will cause more stress, or another hoop to jump through, or more things you need to do.

Getting cash is a pain in the butt. I always have my cards with me, I don't always have cash. So in order to get some, I would either have to go to the bank itself, find an ATM from my bank so I don't get charged a fee, or go to a store, buy something with my debit card and get cash back that way.
That's stress! ;)

And others feel the other way. If I have to go get a different cc that doesn’t charge fees, that’s a hassle, might not be possible, and can harm my credit.

We have a chase account which is easy at Disney and we have a CU and can use nearly any CU for cash. And we almost always have a car and go off campus often.

Why do you keep going? Just an observation, you are on a number of threads and you are not happy. If you are dreading it, stop going! :)

Cashless is the way it's going to be almost everywhere at some point in the future.

Some of us bought Dvc when it was all still fun. Some of us have spouses who don’t go but still want to keep Dvc.

Some of us own DVC and have trips planned 11 months out...BEFORE the latest and greatest enhancements were announced. We've also purchased Park and airline tickets. Plus, numerous DGKs that have been promised a trip. **sad cheer** We've already trimmed down from three visits a year to one. Now, DH wants to dump our points. Iger is continuing to suck the fun out of WDW. JMO

Years later...Disney's MB system still not so great. We NEVER depend on it...goes down way too often. We ALWAYS carry cash and cards.

I've been to WDW at least 6 times since Magic Bands were introduced.

I have never had any problems with them. Ever. My AP loads on to them, I charge food and other items, I open my hotel door.

I just can't understand how some people have problems "every time" when it works flawlessly for me, time after time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since MBs they don’t do that. You cannot out cash up front and cannot secure a room charge account with cash. You can secure it with a card and then go pay cash as you wish, but you can’t do it up front.

Actually one of the changes they're making to roll out this trial is that you WILL be able to put a cash deposit on the room for charging using your MBs.

I have to say that to a certain extent I'm surprised that for many people on this thread since it isn't an issue for them --- it's all good. For International guests this actually may result in additional costs as previous posts have mentioned. International credit cards charge a large fee for foreign exchange transactions for 99% of cards they issue -- this is in addition to very unfavourable forex rates already charged on the card. Had Disney added at the end of the announcement "we'll happily refund in cash any amounts remaining on a hotel account or gift card at the request of the client on check out" then international guests would have less worry that they'd be stuck with either:

a/ extra money stuck on a "Disney Credit" for which they'd never have another use or will sit around for a year (or more or never) until the next trip
or
b/ have to keep adding money during the trip at the front desk (yes it would be an inconvenience if we have to keep adding cash as we spend it)...
or
c/ saying to someone who arrives at the gift shop at AKL that you can't purchase here as you don't have a credit/debit card or a magic band or a gift card.

Based upon a couple of quick searches online about 20% + of guests are international ones... Making things more hassle/more expensive for 20% +of your guests doesn't seem smart to me...

How about this instead.... offer a discount or special offer for those who use digital rather than paper currency.... This encourages those who want to go electronic but doesn't bar/penalize those that don't.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. It's why I don't use cash. If I have cash in my pocket I'll blow through it and not even know what I spent it on. I use one cc and log into my wallet daily from my I phone. I'm super anal and OCD about my spending.

I don’t carry cash for the same reason and I check my CC balance religiously so I know right away if it’s been compromised. I actually carry a ton of cash to Disney, though, because I feel like I’m tipping right and left.

I’m guessing this is more about tracking spending habits. Disney wants everyone to pay with magic bands, regardless of how they’re funded.

Then you're good to go as they honor both! :thumbsup2
But putting cash on the ever unreliable MagicBands...not good to go. Neither do we put charging privileges on them. And, have you ever had a credit card transaction glitch? I always have enough cash for back up..just in case. But hey, if Disney doesn't want my $$$$$? I will spend it elsewhere..;)

I have never had any problems with them. Ever. My AP loads on to them, I charge food and other items, I open my hotel door.

I just can't understand how some people have problems "every time" when it works flawlessly for me, time after time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lucky you! We've had issues with FP and tickets disappearing (app correct info, not linking to bands), doors not opening and not scanning Park entry. Maybe, it's because there are so many of us..law of averages? I don't know, but it's a pain.

Last edited:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s the concept of either glitches or going at different times than those who have the problems.

Be glad for your fortune and luck. :) I’m glad for mine; our issues have been small and rare, but I’m on here enough that I know there are others who have really lousy times with the issues.

I’ve also been here for two rounds of everyone losing their adrs as they did the work (on a “live” site which just utterly boggles my mind) that slowly and ultimately led to MDE. First time they came back. Second time they didn’t.

Actually one of the changes they're making to roll out this trial is that you WILL be able to put a cash deposit on the room for charging using your MBs.

Must’ve missed that in the two pages I didn’t read. Thx.

Interesting to bring something back they’ve refused to do for a few years now...

But putting cash on the ever unreliable MagicBands...not good to go. Neither do we put charging privileges on them. And, have you ever had a credit card transaction glitch? I always have enough cash for back up..just in case. But hey, if Disney doesn't want my $$$$$? I will spend it elsewhere..;)

Again, because you carry both and they accept both at 99% of locations you are good to go. :thumbsup2

The best plan would be to offer a cash deposit for room charges, but not require cash in full until checkout. Say, if you are staying for seven nights, you deposit a specific amount of money for charges per night's stay in cash at check-in, then pay the balance in cash when you leave. But I can't imagine if you give them, say, $1000 for charges and you only spend $700 of it, they won't give you the $300 back. That's absurd.

Gift cards are different since they are purchased in advance but can't you add to your gift card balance AT Disney? I could have sworn my friends did this at Epcot while we were at F&W.

Again, because you carry both and they accept both at 99% of locations you are good to go. :thumbsup2
You are correct. This only applies to AK..for now. ;D

Would love to see in that info that they'll refund in cash extra $$ on MB's or Gift Cards in cash at check out.... That would be the only thing that would make me want to add cash to my MB. Guessing they won't though...
So what do you think they'll do with left over cash? Keep it?

Reactions: fbb
So what do you think they'll do with left over cash? Keep it?

Lets see.... credit on account (very common) ... gift card (very common) ... credit lost if credit not used in "X" period, etc... just want them to actually state they'll refund back in cash at checkout which is not defined anywhere in the legal terms .. is that really to much to ask...... You make it sound automatic but unless they state it... it's not automatic. Get this works for you and you like it but cash is still legal tender it should be accepted at at VERY LARGE US corporation....

That is so weird, both that they'd eliminate it based on an unrelated system change and that they'd subsequently bring it back in order to roll this out! I guess I should be glad I finally got DH around to the idea of using credit as a tool or we'd have had trouble on some of our trips over the years, because prior to about 2010 we always went with the cash deposit method for room charging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter