Got an email from Disney I'm not sure I understand

As has been said, put the cash on a gift card. Easy peasy.
I don't care for it. Let's say that my daughter has $50 that she saved and takes it to WDW. Currently, if she finds something she wants for $40, she can give them the cash and has $10 left to spend at Disney, take home, whatever. Now, putting it on a gift card means she can spend that $50 at Disney or... Disney. Unless she uses it to buy a Visa card with a surcharge. Just let her stick with cash.

I do carry cash with me and like to pay for the little things with it and most times if we eat QS I pay with cash. I do buy gift cards but as it's been pointed out, if you buy a Disney gift card you can only use it at Disney so if you don't use it all you are stuck. I do sometimes buy Visa or MC prepaid cards but don't always remember to so grab some cash out of the ATM the day before we leave. I just don't always like to put things on my CC and considering all the spending I do at Disney, I worry my cc company might cut the card off mid-trip. I know I can call before I go and tell them I'll be using it but again, I often just don't have time.

For us- we would be changing resorts. I do not know what we would do if the whole premises went to no cash. We are okay with magic bands- but they do have a dollar limit a day. We do not like to give our credit cards at restaurants. Too many opportunities for credit card fraud. We were on a trip (non Disney this past weekend) and one person in our group actually did get false charges on her credit card in the town we were in the last day of our trip. The only place she had used her card in that town was at one restaurant- she was using cash other places. We go strictly cash any restaurant where the cards are being taken out of our sigh.

I do not want to have to pull out my credit card to buy a $2.00 bottle of water, or a Coke at the resort.

I do not want to buy gift cards, and be stuck with money on a gift card at the end of our trip.

Also, my credit card company is notorious for flagging and suspending charges on my account when I am out of town. They always seem to think that if my card is being used in another state it is not me. One time they even did this after I called them ahead of time.

Also- I think this is a real problem for kids and probably even more so for people coming from foreign countries. I know a lot of people specifically exchange their currency for cash on a trip. Some countries typically use cash instead of charging. Some foreign credit cards- have exchange charges and per purchase fees which add up. I don't think this is workable when you are a place with lots of foreign guests.

We don't have many no cash places where we live. In fact, I can't even think of one. We have only run across one or two places when traveling- usually coffee shops-- and we typically walk out and take our business elsewhere if a place says they don't take cash.

For us- we would be changing resorts. I do not know what we would do if the whole premises went to no cash. We are okay with magic bands- but they do have a dollar limit a day. We do not like to give our credit cards at restaurants. Too many opportunities for credit card fraud. We were on a trip (non Disney this past weekend) and one person in our group actually did get false charges on her credit card in the town we were in the last day of our trip. The only place she had used her card in that town was at one restaurant- she was using cash other places. We go strictly cash any restaurant where the cards are being taken out of our sigh.

I do not want to have to pull out my credit card to buy a $2.00 bottle of water, or a Coke at the resort.

I do not want to buy gift cards, and be stuck with money on a gift card at the end of our trip.

Also, my credit card company is notorious for flagging and suspending charges on my account when I am out of town. They always seem to think that if my card is being used in another state it is not me. One time they even did this after I called them ahead of time.

Also- I think this is a real problem for kids and probably even more so for people coming from foreign countries. I know a lot of people specifically exchange their currency for cash on a trip. Some countries typically use cash instead of charging. Some foreign credit cards- have exchange charges and per purchase fees which add up. I don't think this is workable when you are a place with lots of foreign guests.

We don't have many no cash places where we live. In fact, I can't even think of one. We have only run across one or two places when traveling- usually coffee shops-- and we typically walk out and take our business elsewhere if a place says they don't take cash.
No they do not. They have a limit but not per day

I never pay with cash, but my DD does. She brings her own money and uses that to purchase all sorts of goodies. So this is kind of a bummer, but not vacation ruining. Just my thought.

Agreed. My daughter is 8 and saves her money for our WDW vacations. Sometimes, she comes home with quite a bit of cash leftover, so putting her money onto a gift card isn't something I'm keen to do. She actually likes being able to open her little handbag and give the cashier her cash for what she's purchasing.

This "test" will probably become the norm across property, so I won't hold my breath over her being able to use cash in WDW in June. But, it is something I'll keep my eye on and plan accordingly once it's all rolled out or whatever. Personally, I think it's dumb.

Agreed. My daughter is 8 and saves her money for our WDW vacations. Sometimes, she comes home with quite a bit of cash leftover, so putting her money onto a gift card isn't something I'm keen to do. She actually likes being able to open her little handbag and give the cashier her cash for what she's purchasing.

This "test" will probably become the norm across property, so I won't hold my breath over her being able to use cash in WDW in June. But, it is something I'll keep my eye on and plan accordingly once it's all rolled out or whatever. Personally, I think it's dumb.
I'm going with total opposite. I can't see how this will ever work. For all the reasons discussed here. No way can the entire property go cashless. No way. Though I stand to be wrong. I am every day. But as a person who never bets, I'd bet on them not adopting a totally cashless system.

I'm going with total opposite. I can't see how this will ever work. For all the reasons discussed here. No way can the entire property go cashless. No way. Though I stand to be wrong. I am every day. But as a person who never bets, I'd bet on them not adopting a totally cashless system.

I sure hope so!

I do have to wonder though, do those who operate only with cash have no fears about loosing it? Seriously, I am terrified any time I have cash that I'll loose it. Credit cards can be cancelled. If I have a Disney gift card, I register it online and it can be replaced. Lost cash is lost forever. That's why I don't use it. Even DGD is given a gift card for her spending money, for the same reason.

I can't see them extending this to the actual theme parks. That would be an absolute disaster.

This.

I brought about $100 on our trip over the weekend and only spent about $30 and some of that was in the airport. I just don’t like carrying cash around.

I do have to wonder though, do those who operate only with cash have no fears about loosing it? Seriously, I am terrified any time I have cash that I'll loose it. Credit cards can be cancelled. If I have a Disney gift card, I register it online and it can be replaced. Lost cash is lost forever. That's why I don't use it. Even DGD is given a gift card for her spending money, for the same reason.

We primarily use cash on our trips to the States. We use it mostly for food, drinks, gas, and any incidentals under $100. But for more expensive purchases we'll use a credit card. We don't carry around the whole wad of bills in one place, so no, we never worry about losing it.

Isn’t AKL’s room charge limit like $1000? We just charge everything to the room and pay it off at night.

I just left - stayed a Disney Friday until this morning and experienced 3 incidents where the registers couldn't accept MB and were "cash only please" registers. One at SSR one of the registers in the quickserve/gift shop, Epcot at the Mexico glass shop and another was the Festival Kiosk at America, different days different places. I always carry a bit of cash and an alternate credit card as backup so I was able to make the small purchases and went back to Mexico at a later time. I can't imagine what will happen if (when?) the system goes down and they can't accept payment.

I also agree with the above posters about kids and cash - friends and relatives knew we were going to Disney so my dd's got a few gift cards (yes they are very grateful) but there just wasn't enough they wanted to spend them. It was all good of course as I just used them to help pay for the room and gave them the $.

I think they push the payment to your card at 50%? Either way, yeah... just use your band and then use cash to pay it off?
Only if you hit 50% early in your trip. For instance, if you have a 8 day trip, at AKL with a $2000 and charged $1500 by day 3, then they may run it early

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter