Got RSD & need ECV

Scrufsmom

Mouseketeer
my DH was recently diagnosed with RSD and requires a ECV. We will be traveling in July, but now we have to start lookikng at the Disabilities factors. While using the ECV will it be easier for us to take the Buses traveling from say WL to DTD? Will they allow my DH to sit in a regular seat rather then the ECV...he can stand and walk slightly. Going on the boats to and from the Contemporary and WL? He will be going from crutches to the ECV when indoors. So much to start thinkiing of because this disease happened so fast.

Also, what are the guidelines to disabled individuals at Blizzard Beach? Every year we go and do not want to upset our little one by denying her the fun of the water park.

If anyone else has some same issues, please do tell. Would be interested.

Thanks pluto:

If you haven't already, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. There is some information about the buses in that thread.
You can choose to ride sitting in the ECV on the bus or get off the ECV and sit on a seat. If you choose to sit in a seat, the bus driver can attach the ECV down in a little different way that is usually a bit faster.

The large boats (like the one that goes from WL to MK) are usually accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs. The smaller boats that go from resort to resort in the MK area require a step down so an ECV could not be loaded.

Here's a link to the official Disney Blizzard Beach Disability guide. It's not in great detail, but has the basic information and tells which attractions are only accessible with steps.

Since you have some time before you go, you might also want to check out the Passporter Book WDW for your Special Needs.

Hi,
I have MS. I have had to use an ECV on my last 3 trips. The last trip we stayed at WL.
I had an ECV delivered to the resort because I cannot walk very far. I had no problem with the buses. I always sit in the regular bus seat with my family. The monorail is even easier than the buses. I did not try the boat from WL but I have read that people have done it with the ECV. Last year we went to Typhoon Lagoon and I was able to use the ECV to get to the things my twin 6yo's wanted to do. They were not denied any fun because of it. My wife accompanied them on the things I could not.

You will have a great time and he will be able to enjoy it with you since he will be able to get around without being fatigued. I was against any type of aid for a long time and did not enjoy ithings because of the fatigue. Using the ECV was the best thing I ever did. I am able to outlast the entire family now.

One thing that annoys me is when people cut me off from my family while we are walking together. I always stay behind them because I find it easier to follow them.

Thank you so much for all of your information. This is just the beginning and we are in a learning mode of how to cope and deal. All information will be used greatly.

You're very welcome. It was all much easier than I had anticipated. Let me know how you made out when you return.
Also request a room on the first floor. It is easier to not have to deal with the elevator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter