Grand Canyon area

Pooh2

Dis Veteran
Planning on flying into Phoenix. Visiting the south rim is our one must do.
Any tips on where to stay?
We usually do Courtyard, Holiday Inn type lodging.
Sights to see?
Suggestions on where to eat?

Sights to see?

We went to Grand Canyon during our road trip honeymoon last year. We stayed 2 nights at Yavapai Lodge, right in the park. It was a nice place and the staff was very friendly. I booked here specifically because it had air conditioning and we were there in August. There is a nice cafeteria style restaurant right in the main lobby of the lodge that had very good food. DH and I got a 1/2 rotisserie chicken dinner and it was plenty of food to share between us.

We did a guided morning bike ride along the South Rim. It was really great! We learned about the Canyon, saw some amazing sights and had opportunities to take photos. The tour was through Bright Angel Bikes. http://bikegrandcanyon.com/ In the afternoon we hiked down to the first waypoint on the Bright Angel Trail, which is 1 mile down into the Canyon and then we hiked back up. It took a while, but was totally worth it. Then that evening, we drove down to the Desert View Watchtower and toured around the area. It is very cool and has an interesting history. Then late that evening we watched the sun set at Mather Point. It was really beautiful and we got some great pictures.

We loved the Canyon and have it on our plans to go back and hike from North to South Rims with an overnight stay at Phantom Ranch.

Sights to see?
We stayed at the Thunderbird lodge at the Grand Canyon. It's a no frills lodge, but it was clean, comfortable, and affordable. It was amazing to open the curtains and see the canyon just right there. The wildlife comes right by the lodge as well. I would stay here again.

We are 4 months out and the above mentioned lodging is not available!! Yikes!!

Sounds lovely. I have family in Phoenix, so we just do a day trip, I can't help you with lodging, but just wanted to say I hope you have a great time!

We stayed at the Thunderbird lodge at the Grand Canyon. It's a no frills lodge, but it was clean, comfortable, and affordable. It was amazing to open the curtains and see the canyon just right there. The wildlife comes right by the lodge as well. I would stay here again.
we just stayed there for 2 nights 2 weeks ago. Rooms was more updated than I expected , which was nice. Parking a nightmare, but just never moved our car once we found a spot. OP, check the site every day for cancellations, but to be honest, if you can find a place in Williams the drive is not bad at all. You may hit a line at the park entrance but it moves.

In park lodging often books up right when reservations become available. At most parks that is about 1 year out. In Yellowstone, it's even longer. Crazy, right?

The Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places. We have stayed in all the lodges (including Phantom Ranch), I would stay in the park if at all possible. It is most crowded during the day with day trippers and tour buses. I love to be able to walk the rim at sunrise when it is quiet. All of the lodges are managed by Xanterra except Yavapai Lodge. I looked 4 months out and they have availability in October - http://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/yavapai-lodge.
If you are looking for other ideas in the area check out these places:
Slide Rock State Park
Sedona
Sunset Crater NM
Wupatki NM

The Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places. We have stayed in all the lodges (including Phantom Ranch), I would stay in the park if at all possible. It is most crowded during the day with day trippers and tour buses. I love to be able to walk the rim at sunrise when it is quiet. All of the lodges are managed by Xanterra except Yavapai Lodge. I looked 4 months out and they have availability in October - http://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/yavapai-lodge.
If you are looking for other ideas in the area check out these places:
Slide Rock State Park
Sedona
Sunset Crater NM
Wupatki NM

Thankyou!! I was watching another site and everything is marked with a red square for Not Available for all the lodges! Appreciate you taking the time to look and post the link!

I envisioned being able to be up at sunrise and out there at sunset with my camera. This will likely be our only trip out that way so would really love to stay in the park.

Another question for you all:
Are there easy trails to hike that you could recommend?
I have neurological challenges but will still do a slow 2 mile hike now and then with trekking sticks for balance.

Another great way to see Grand Canyon is Pink Jeep tour. We did a spontaneous tour through some of the area including Grand Canyon. We stayed in Williams, AZ which is on route 66 and looks like Radiator Springs with all the fun neon lighting around town and the fun kitschy diners and sights. Anyways we did a sunrise Pink Jeep tour and I cannnot say enough about it. It was pricey but there are only 4-6 people per jeep and actual invested educated guide to take you where the tour buses can't go. The tour provided blankets (It was cold at sunrise), snacks and drinks and we had a 3 hour tour.

We also did a sunset Pink Jeep tour in Sedona which I loved and can't say enough about.

The town immediately outside of the Grand Canyon is expensive. Think McDonald's at WDW expensive! I couldn't believe how much more gas was there than say Flagstaff and even the McDonald's wasn't cheap. We had pre-made sandwiches that we carried in our packs for lunch while hiking and we "splurged" on a snack coming out of the park and then not as expensive meal down in Williams.

Another question for you all:
Are there easy trails to hike that you could recommend?
I have neurological challenges but will still do a slow 2 mile hike now and then with trekking sticks for balance.
If you have balance problems I would recommend choosing a section or two of the rim trail. The shuttle has multiple stops between the village and Hermit's Rest so you can get off at one and walk to the next. www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/RimTrail.pdf
If you are comfortable with a steep trail I would recommend Ooh-aah Point (1.8 mi RT) on the South Kaibab Trail.
Another great way to see the canyon is a half or full day smooth water raft trip from Page, AZ (about 2 1/2 hours from the GC village)- http://raftthecanyon.com/
If you are looking for ways to save money on food I would recommend Yavapai or Maswik Lodges. They both have cafeteria style dining rooms. There is also the Canyon Village Market and Deli right next to Yavapai Lodge.

Another great way to see Grand Canyon is Pink Jeep tour. We did a spontaneous tour through some of the area including Grand Canyon. We stayed in Williams, AZ which is on route 66 and looks like Radiator Springs with all the fun neon lighting around town and the fun kitschy diners and sights. Anyways we did a sunrise Pink Jeep tour and I cannnot say enough about it. It was pricey but there are only 4-6 people per jeep and actual invested educated guide to take you where the tour buses can't go. The tour provided blankets (It was cold at sunrise), snacks and drinks and we had a 3 hour tour.

We also did a sunset Pink Jeep tour in Sedona which I loved and can't say enough about.

The town immediately outside of the Grand Canyon is expensive. Think McDonald's at WDW expensive! I couldn't believe how much more gas was there than say Flagstaff and even the McDonald's wasn't cheap. We had pre-made sandwiches that we carried in our packs for lunch while hiking and we "splurged" on a snack coming out of the park and then not as expensive meal down in Williams.
Yes! Pink jeep tours!! We did this too. Highlight of our trip! We did Sedona and Grand Canyon.

If you fly into Phoenix, Sedona is a great stopping point. Absolutely gorgeous there. We stayed at Sky Ranch Lodge, which is a beautiful and very affordable hotel. The jeep tour is a fun way to see the sites. We did Red Rock, but from what I understand Pink Jeep is very similar. For Grand Canyon I would definitely keep checking so you can find somewhere to stay inside the park. When we went everything was booked solid 6 months out, but I kept checking and eventually found an opening at Yavapai. No complaints at all, it was clean, affordable and met all our needs. Highly recommend viewing both sunrise and sunset in the canyon. All I can say is WOW! What an experience.

Schedule 4:30 hour from Phoenix to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is a two car road. 1 car going North. 1 car going South. Yellow line down the Middle. And Few places to pass the car in front you.

How far is it from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon?
The Grand Canyon South Rim is about 230 miles north of Phoenix via I-17 North to Flagstaff. From Flagstaff, take Highway 180 northwest to the canyon. Although it can be a day trip, it would be an exhausting one if you're going to spend a reasonable amount of time experiencing the canyon.

You must pay $40.00 or 45.00 per car load

How to plan YOUR trip to the South Rim
http://www.grandcanyon.net/

How far is it from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon?
Grand Canyon National Park's SOUTH RIM (open all year) is located 60 miles north of Williams, Arizona (via route 64 from Interstate 40) and 80 miles northwest of Flagstaff (via route 180). Grand Canyon lies entirely within the state of Arizona.

From Phoenix you North to Flagstaff where you go left until come to Entrance to the Park.
http://www.flagstaff.com/#

Last edited:
We drove up to the South Rim the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It was warm all week [in Mesa, AZ] until we got to the South Rim. It turned to winter while we were driving up to the South Rim. It was 30 degrees!!!!!! and Snowing!! We didn't have any cold weather coats.
It didn't stop us.

Please take the warmest winter coats possible. It maybe a 120 degrees Phoenix but that means in Flagstaff it is between 65-70 and because you driving up hill into top of the Kaibab Mountain Range. It mean the temp. can dip without warning!!

I Learn the hard way!!!

The we all pack for a Disney Park Trip, this should be easy!

Last edited:
Last September we did a 3-night Grand Canyon Railway trip...it was fantastic. We were in Vegas for a few days and then rented a car to drive to Williams AZ. We stayed one night at the Grand Canyon Railway hotel in Williams and then the next morning boarded the train for the 2 hour trip to the Canyon. (we had reservations in the 'luxury parlor car' so sat in sofa-style seats with tables; light snacks provided and bar service).

We arrived at the Canyon around 11:30 am and then were bused to Yavapi Lodge for a buffet lunch, then boarded the buses for an amazing 2-hour tour of the canyon. The bus was able to use many roads that cars may not use, so we easily saw spots that people need to walk to without spending the energy. Once that tour was

After the bus tour was over (around 2:30pm) we were dropped off at Maswik Lodge where we checked in for our one-night stay. We also signed up for a sunset tour of the Canyon which was FANTASTIC...especially because we ended up with the same guide we had for our earlier tour that we really loved. We then headed out to do some exploring on our own and walked a section of the Bright Angel Trail. It was not a tough hike at all, I did it in just a pair of Teva sandals without issue.

The sunset tour was incredible; the guide drove us out to a spectacular spot for the sunset and directed us out to a trail area away from the crowds to really experience the beauty. We were lucky because a storm had come through the area just two days prior and the weather was really wonderful. After the tour we went back to the Lodge and had dinner at the 'pub'...pizza and beers.

We then headed out again, walking to the Rim Trail after dark as we wanted to see the stars. Again, a wonderful experience and I highly recommend if you can spend a night at the canyon DO SO as seeing what the night sky has to offer is once in a lifetime. Without the light pollution of nearby cities, the sky is loaded with stars. If you are going to be there at night, pack some small LED flashlights. The Park Service has a low-lighting policy to preserve the true darkness of the night so people can see the night sky with brilliance.

The next day we had breakfast at El Tovar in the dining room that has a great view of the canyon. We then explored the Rim Trail, hiking from our spot at Maswik all the way to the Welcome Center and back. We had to be back at the Canyon Train Station by 3pm for the train ride back to Williams AZ. The train got us back there by 6pm where we enjoyed another buffet dinner and slept one more night at the Railway Hotel there.

We didn't have to deal with any luggage transfers...on the morning of the train ride to the canyon we dropped our bags at the depot and they were waiting in our room at Maswik after we checked in. When we left Maswik for breakfast at El Tovar, we only needed to make sure our bags were packed and by the door. They were picked up and loaded on to the train for us while we were out and about, and then when we arrived back in Williams the bags were right there in the lobby of the hotel for us to take to our rooms.

We did have extra bags (as we had been in Vegas) and they only allow one suitcase per person, but they had free luggage storage at the Railway Hotel in Williams so we left our larger suitcase there.

For the three of us (me, husband, adult son) this three night package that included three nights lodging (we upgraded to one of the suites and had a separate bedroom and living room at the Railway Hotel; basic room at Maswik), the train fare in the 'luxury parlor car, two dinners, two breakfasts (during the stay at the Railway Hotel), buffet lunch (arrival day at the Canyon), and the 2-hour bus tour after lunch we paid about $1700. The sunset tour was another $60 for the three of us.

It was a trip worth every penny.

Keep checking for cancellations!Thanks to a business trip, DH and I planned a trip on three weeks notice in Aug. We booked a fully refundable reservation in Williams and then kept checking. Ended up with exactly the reservations inside the park that we had imagined when we very first planned the trip.

We went to Grand Canyon during our road trip honeymoon last year. We stayed 2 nights at Yavapai Lodge, right in the park. It was a nice place and the staff was very friendly. I booked here specifically because it had air conditioning and we were there in August. There is a nice cafeteria style restaurant right in the main lobby of the lodge that had very good food. DH and I got a 1/2 rotisserie chicken dinner and it was plenty of food to share between us.
we also drove up from PHX to GC south rim..... we visited some smaller sites along the way up(so glad we did) our plane landed late morning, we drove up thru Oak creek Canyon:-)worship:) and did some sightseeing(so worth it,it's lovely) stayed a night in Flagstaff(some basic hotel) and visited a cool site with ancient cliff dwellings in the am, then headed up to GC- the drive was very cool,and we got to GC south rim in mid afternoon- stayed Yavapai lodge (I woudn't stay anywhere except right inside the park for a visit- loved the basic motel rooms, pricey, but a short walk to the rim,to the shopping area and cafeteria, we stayed for 3 nights just checking out the walks and hikes,and enjoying the views! we headed out past the painted desert to go farther west, but it was a great stop! My goal was to keep the driving to no more than a couple of hours per day between sites to visit,and I'm glad we stopped where we did to sightsee.

we also drove up from PHX to GC south rim..... we visited some smaller sites along the way up(so glad we did) our plane landed late morning, we drove up thru Oak creek Canyon:-)worship:) and did some sightseeing(so worth it,it's lovely) stayed a night in Flagstaff(some basic hotel) and visited a cool site with ancient cliff dwellings in the am, then headed up to GC- the drive was very cool,and we got to GC south rim in mid afternoon- stayed Yavapai lodge (I woudn't stay anywhere except right inside the park for a visit- loved the basic motel rooms, pricey, but a short walk to the rim,to the shopping area and cafeteria, we stayed for 3 nights just checking out the walks and hikes,and enjoying the views! we headed out past the painted desert to go farther west, but it was a great stop! My goal was to keep the driving to no more than a couple of hours per day between sites to visit,and I'm glad we stopped where we did to sightsee.
We did the same thing - sightseeing on our way up to the GC. We flew into Phoenix and went straight to Sedona. We stayed there for 6 days. Saw Montezuma's castle, Montezuma's Well, Tuzigoot, Pink Jeep Tour of Broken Arrow trail, tubing trip on Verde River, Buddha Beach, Golf, Chuckwagon Cowboy Dinner at Blazin' M Ranch (superfun!!!!).

Then we drove to the GC. On the way we checked out Oak Creek Canyon, lunched in Flagstaff, Walnut Canyon ruins, Sunset Crater, Wupatki ruins. We went in the Desert View entrance of the GC, so we could see the view from there and climb the watchtower. Then we made our way to El Tovar for the night. We stayed in GC for 2 nights and took advantage of as many Ranger talks as we could.

On the way back, we spent 1 night in Phoenix and explored the city. It was a GREAT trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter