Grand Cayman without excursion

CisforCookie991

Mouseketeer
What’s within walking distance of the port in Grand Cayman? We were in there years ago on a cruise and remember there being mostly shops and restaurants. None of the excursions really interest us (kids vetoed stingrays. They’ve seen too many nature shows) and we’re generally wary of going off on our own too far from port. Thanks!

Lots of shopping and restaurants. Hasn’t changed much. You can use google maps as a current guide to see what’s there at present and decide what you want to do.

besides shops and restaurants and the excursions that are also available through DCL: very little.. I do like to WIFI at the Hard Rock café and they have some nice drinks

How old are the kids? Do you like craft beer?

My wife and I usually do not do any of the excursions offered by the cruise line.

My wife and I were also were not comfortable going to far from the port on our own.

With that said we found a craft brewery called Caybrew. They are a short cab ride from the port.
As soon as we get off the boat we take one of the cabs at the cab stand in the port area. We will have the brewery information for the driver just in case they don't know where the brewery is however so far all the drivers have known where to go.
We spend some time at the brewery and do the tour. As soon as we want to go back to the ship the brewery contacted the cab company for us.

We always make sure we give our self enough time to get back to the port so we can do some shopping before returning to the ship.

It has been almost three years since we have been to the to the brewery so I am not sure if any of this has changed. My wife will contact them through Facebook if she has any questions.
If it is something you might be interested in you should also contact them to make sure of their hours and if they still contact a cab for you to get back to the ship.

Hopefully later this year we will be back and from what I have been told there is another brewery on the Island we might visit.

How old are the kids? Do you like craft beer?

My wife and I usually do not do any of the excursions offered by the cruise line.

My wife and I were also were not comfortable going to far from the port on our own.

With that said we found a craft brewery called Caybrew. They are a short cab ride from the port.
As soon as we get off the boat we take one of the cabs at the cab stand in the port area. We will have the brewery information for the driver just in case they don't know where the brewery is however so far all the drivers have known where to go.
We spend some time at the brewery and do the tour. As soon as we want to go back to the ship the brewery contacted the cab company for us.

We always make sure we give our self enough time to get back to the port so we can do some shopping before returning to the ship.

It has been almost three years since we have been to the to the brewery so I am not sure if any of this has changed. My wife will contact them through Facebook if she has any questions.
If it is something you might be interested in you should also contact them to make sure of their hours and if they still contact a cab for you to get back to the ship.

Hopefully later this year we will be back and from what I have been told there is another brewery on the Island we might visit.
Well that sounds really fun, but we are not beer people. And the kids are 8 and 11 so I don't think they'd enjoy it much either. But other suggestions like this would be very welcome.

Side note: I've never taken a cab in another country, and there are plenty of places in the US that I don't feel comfortable getting into cabs. Is it generally pretty safe in Grand Cayman?

Grand Cayman is very safe. We walked a couple blocks to the public bus depot and took public bus #1 (yellow/west bay) route. (Mini bus, holds maybe 15 people?) They will take USD, $2.50/person every time you get off. In June they required masks to be worn in the bus. We took the bus to the Turtle centre, did that, then caught another bus to see Hell, then another bus back to the bus depot. Total spent for our day was $150 for 4 adults. I researched everything ahead of time so I knew where the bus route would stop. That route has buses coming by every 10 minutes or so, and includes stops at 7 mile beach if you're just interested in a beach day.

Well that sounds really fun, but we are not beer people. And the kids are 8 and 11 so I don't think they'd enjoy it much either. But other suggestions like this would be very welcome.

Side note: I've never taken a cab in another country, and there are plenty of places in the US that I don't feel comfortable getting into cabs. Is it generally pretty safe in Grand Cayman?
We only take the cabs that are at the cab stand in the port. We have never felt uncomfortable taking a cab in the Cayman Islands, some of the other islands we would be a little more hesitant, It is all about what you feel comfortable with.

The last time we were in the Cayman Islands the cab stand was on the right as you went under the covered area with the bathrooms, as you were heading out of the port.
It has been almost three years since we have been there so I am not sure if or how much has changed since then.
I think this is also in the area that the buses for the excursions pick people up.
Just double check with a port official to make sure the cabs are the official ones.

Smith Cove is on the same road as the port, about a 1.5 mile walk or take a cab. Its an interesting little beachy area you could snorkel at if you're taking your own gear. Grand Cayman has always felt to us to be one of the safer islands, we wouldn't hesitate to take a cab there.

The turtle farm is popular at GC. Disney no longer offers it as an excursion. Just know that the turtles are raised there for eating. I haven't been there so I don't know if that's something that is told once you get there or not. Just thought I'd mention it in case that would upset your kids. We went last March shortly after they had opened back up. I really wanted to do a Disney excursion to a beach, but they weren't doing any. We went snorkeling and had fun.

The turtle farm is popular at GC. Disney no longer offers it as an excursion. Just know that the turtles are raised there for eating. I haven't been there so I don't know if that's something that is told once you get there or not. Just thought I'd mention it in case that would upset your kids. We went last March shortly after they had opened back up. I really wanted to do a Disney excursion to a beach, but they weren't doing any. We went snorkeling and had fun.
Turtle farm breeds for conservation and food. It's very interesting and you can do the cheaper option without the waterpark and still have a lovely time.

Did captain Marvin stingray + snorkeling independently and was fun and more importantly easy and convenient. Meet at their office close by to the tender jetty and they drive you to their boat. Plenty of other families from Disney on the same trip.

FWIW, we have traveled extensively through the Caribbean and Grand Cayman is the safest island we have visited. I have no qualms about taking public transportation (taxi vans) and even allowed my 18 and 20 year olds to take the bus “downtown” last summer while we were staying there. Of course, as with any public place or transportation, always be aware of your surroundings.

And for reference, we are not comfortable taking public transportation/taxis in Jamaica (or even the subway in NYC these days) and we are very cautious in how we travel in Mexico. We definitely aren’t risk takers when it comes to traveling in foreign countries, but we feel very safe in GC. The island itself is quite small and most places you want to go are less than a 15 minute ride from the port. Do a little research on good restaurants (hint: there are plenty, but none of them are in the port area of George Town) and don’t be nervous about venturing out a bit on your own.

We recently did Grand Cayman on our own and had the best day. There are lots of shops and some restaurants around the port. We walked as others suggested the block or two to the public bus depot. The drivers were super friendly and helpful, we caught a bus to 7 mile beach for a bit. There is also a heroes square I think it is called between the port and the bus depot with a bunch of statues if you just want something educational that is close by to see.

7 mile beach is beautiful but it is like going to a state park so not great restrooms (but it has them). There were vendors offering chairs etc but we didn’t plan to stay long and just sat on a towel we brought from the ship and played in the water. It was busy and we made sure not to leave anything unattended. I’m sure crimes of opportunity like petty theft happen so we were careful about that.

I felt very comfortable being there will my whole family and taking the buses. I’m reasonably well travelled and have done some sketchy buses and transport in other countries and Grand Cayman felt very safe as others have commented. Just be aware of your surroundings and your belongings. When we headed back a bus even saw us leaving and turned back around and got us so we didn’t have to wait for the next one (we left ourselves plenty of time but it was still nice).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter