Grief Trip Sep?

Hello Chris. I know where you are coming from. My mother who was 88, passed Halloween 2020. Almost two years later and it still hurts. Just not as intense. She was my travel companion, sole sister, first Disney Bounder, one half of an intense people watching pair, expert drinking, and eating buddy and my best friend. Although her passing was not sudden, I too was her care giver 24/7. In the Spring of 2019, she celebrated her 88th birthday at Disneyland, where she exclaimed that it was her best birthday ever! Even with being in a wheelchair. When we got back from Disneyland that year, we talked about the next Disney adventure, a Fall 2020 at WDW trip. We subsequently rented points from a DIS member. I always had a trip planed somewhere so we had something to look forward to. A week before we left, she went into the hospital, after three days she was released to go home, and was put on hospice. She passed peacefully at home thanks to the wonderful hospice people. WDW Fall vacation long story short, the nice owner moved the ressie out as far as he could to November to accommodate us…that turned into just me. Although this was a use or loose scenario, I did have insurance. But I decided to go. And go by myself. I have a loner personality and needed the time to grieve. I’m glad I went. Yes, I was the crazy lady that was ugly crying when entering mom’s favorite park EPCOT and I may not remember much of that visit, but I’m glad I went. Go, enjoy and grieve.

{{ Hugs }}View attachment 691215
Oh my gosh she is wearing a hat just like my mom did, and the wheelchair too, Those memories are so precious. When u care for someone 24/7 it leaves such a hole. Our last trip i saw these 2 citizens and i wanted to get a picture of mom but they were busy. Thank u so much for sharing this.

I could have written that first post … it has been over 10 years and I still tell my mom to wear her seatbelt in the car and I hold her hand while walking down Main Street. She will always be with me at Disneyland & DisneyWorld. Forever
I still do those things too they are with us but it is SO SO hard to lose that physical connections

Go on the trip, Chris. Bring the straw hat with you. Wear and then leave it in your bag/room. Your mom is always with you.

Should I wear it in the park but I dont know if those hats are only meant for women.
Good question. Maybe carry in a backpack or something. Have it with you in the room. Bring it on the trip but if it a hat meant for women dont wear it.

I lost my Dad October of last year. My mother and I had her first trip to DL planned pre-covid. I have been to DL a few times. We live on the East Coast so we usually go to WDW. After rescheduling it a few times, we dates were early December to see the Christmas decorations. We were all set and getting excited. My father wanted us to go. He never used his cc but was using his disney visa so we could get the points. We found out he was sick in September, he died very shortly after that.
I talked to the family and my mother and I decided to go ahead with the trip. Her favorite ride is Small World and we got the word that is was flooded and closed. Oh no, I kept telling her how good it was and how great the Christmas decoration would be. It did re-open the day we got there, phew. Was it the best trip we ever had? No. Was it fun? Yes! It was a break that we needed. I know my father wanted us to go and we did.
Go and make memories. Know that she is with you and would want you to go. Be ready to cry and grieve. But also give yourself a break.

I am so sorry for your loss though I cannot think of any better place to have all those wonderful memories of your mom. Since it was such a happy place for you two, I would recommend you going (if you feel ready). Maybe you can have a private celebration/memorial for her there...such as throwing a special coin in snow white's fountain or a photo with magic with her hat or leaving her favorite flower near her favorite ride.

I lost my Dad October of last year. My mother and I had her first trip to DL planned pre-covid. I have been to DL a few times. We live on the East Coast so we usually go to WDW. After rescheduling it a few times, we dates were early December to see the Christmas decorations. We were all set and getting excited. My father wanted us to go. He never used his cc but was using his disney visa so we could get the points. We found out he was sick in September, he died very shortly after that.
I talked to the family and my mother and I decided to go ahead with the trip. Her favorite ride is Small World and we got the word that is was flooded and closed. Oh no, I kept telling her how good it was and how great the Christmas decoration would be. It did re-open the day we got there, phew. Was it the best trip we ever had? No. Was it fun? Yes! It was a break that we needed. I know my father wanted us to go and we did.
Go and make memories. Know that she is with you and would want you to go. Be ready to cry and grieve. But also give yourself a break.
Oh my gosh we were that same day when it reopened in December!!! we went to get on it and they said they reopened that day.Small world was my mom's favorite too

I am so sorry for your loss though I cannot think of any better place to have all those wonderful memories of your mom. Since it was such a happy place for you two, I would recommend you going (if you feel ready). Maybe you can have a private celebration/memorial for her there...such as throwing a special coin in snow white's fountain or a photo with magic with her hat or leaving her favorite flower near her favorite ride.
Such nice ideas

Such nice ideas
I would ride Small World holding her hat and look at all the dolls and scenes. Your Mom will always be with you. Did she have a favorite place to eat or favorite Disneyland snack or food? If so eat at her fav place or have her favorite foods/snacks.

Last edited:
I would ride SWorld holding her hat and look at all the dolls and scenes. Her Mom will always be with you. Did she have a favorite place to eat or favorite Disneyland snack or food? If so eat at her fav place or have her favorite foods/snacks.
Yes she loved the churros smoothies, ice cream, we liked to eat at la brea bakery for breakfast or lunch. Also loved tropical hideaway for the Bao's and llucky fortune cookery as well. Ilike the idea of riding small world with her hat.

I just called alaska airlines and they offered to refund her ticket but since it was on a companon fare it was only 133 dollars. They said I could keep her seat since i paid for it already. That gives me comfort that way I can picture her sitting right beside me.

Yes she loved the churros smoothies, ice cream, we liked to eat at la brea bakery for breakfast or lunch. Also loved tropical hideaway for the Bao's and llucky fortune cookery as well. Ilike the idea of riding small world with her hat.
Then take the hat with you on small world. Eat at her favorite places. Have a churro and ice cream and say this is for you Mom. Your Mom will be with you at Disneyland. You just have to be open to feeling her presence there. You will have a great trip.

I just called alaska airlines and they offered to refund her ticket but since it was on a companon fare it was only 133 dollars. They said I could keep her seat since i paid for it already. That gives me comfort that way I can picture her sitting right beside me.
Put her hat on the seat!

If you get Genie+ with the photos, tell your story to the photographers. I got some wonderful pictures of mom's ears.

And if your mother's hat was like my mother's, just know that it's a men's hat.

If you get Genie+ with the photos, tell your story to the photographers. I got some wonderful pictures of mom's ears.

And if your mother's hat was like my mother's, just knisow that it's a men's hat.
unfortunately I dont have a smart phone, We always liked to get our photo Taken with tinkerbell.but everytime i went by there in may it was closed or she was on break. Also Anna and elsa but that hasnt reopened yet. Do you have any plans going back to disney soon. Did u find it healing. I wish Iknew how to post pictures here, If u go to evergreen memorial gardens in vancouver wa, on the website under obituarys Lisa U tenney on july 15th, they posted some of my disneyland pictures with the hat on. The profile picture is my favorite taken in the grand california jsut before going out for the day. I would like people to see my beautiful Mama. How do u ever get over the grief, especially when u went everywhere where them. U were just like me always planning the nxt trip to give her something to look forward to. Let me know what u think of the hat. Bought at indiana jones store in adventure land. Brand is coppelli

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter