• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ground Transportation Questions/Concerns for Upcoming WDW Trip

djironic

Earning My Ears
(Just posted this over on Tripadvisor as well in case someone notices a similarity, lol)

I was planning to write up our whole itinerary for our upcoming WDW trip to get everyone's thoughts but right now the biggest sticking point is how we are going to get around so I thought I'd make a specific post for that

My family (wife and 10 year-old) and I are flying into Orlando on March 28th at 12:30 am for a nine day trip. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Disney Springs for the first six days (leaving April 2nd) and plan on spending one day in each park starting on the 29th, with a fifth day planned for my son and I at whichever park we would like to have a second shot at (currently reserved DHS) while my wife gets us packed up and ready to go for our remaining days in Florida.

Because car rentals are so crazy expensive right now, my plan was to use Uber/Lyft to get from the airport to the hotel (at 1:00 in the morning) and then use either Uber/Lyft to go stock up at the grocery store (we want to have breakfast/lunch items we can take with us to the park) or use Instacart to have groceries/necessities delivered to our hotel on the 29th.

I thought we could then use Uber/Lyft or the hotel park shuttle for the rest of the time to get us to the parks for Early Entry. Once at the parks we could use whatever is available (hotel shuttle, rideshare, shuttle to Disney Springs and then walk, etc) to go back and forth to the parks during the day (planning on taking mid-day breaks as necessary).

The plan was for my wife to rent a car at one of the close by off-site locations (Avis or Budget are both close) while my son and I spent our last day at a park and then we were all going to head elsewhere in Florida (would like a day at a beach and a day at the Everglades) that afternoon (not planning a full park day that last day).

I was actually quite nervous about this plan. First, I'm not sure how easy it is to get a Uber/Lyft from the airport at 1:00-1:30am and from checking rates around that time I know that if we are able to get a rideshare it will likely cost $65-75 dollars. Definitely don't want to have to wait a long time at the airport in the middle of the night.

Using rideshares to get to and from the park seems easy and inexpensive enough ($10-15 each way) *except* I'm a little worried about both availability and surge pricing around the critical times (like 8a to make it to Early Entry or right after the park closes). I don't want to be stuck, especially in the morning when we need to make Early Entry or at the end of the night when everyone is exhausted.

The bigger unknown to me is the park shuttle. From what I've gathered, the hotel-to-park-and-back shuttles are fairly reliable but again, it seems like A) they can fill up quickly even if you have a reservation (meaning you may have to wait for the next shuttle and therefore miss rope drop) and B) their schedules are limited and subject to change.

Basically, my plan was to cross my fingers and hope that we can get the transportation we need when we need it without it costing us half of our vacation.

Given all of that, I just found out about renting through UCT (where we bought our tickets) and the deals are so good I am now thinking we should rent a car. I wish I had known in advance so I could have booked a hotel with free parking but eh, still getting Early Entry (if we can get there in time) so it's still worth it.

Not having to rely on outside transportation getting to the hotel from the airport in the middle of the night sounds great and having the option to run to outside stores/restaurants whenever needed seems way more easy/convenient than either ridesharing around town (as the closest Publix or Walmart are a few miles away) or getting delivery. It would also give us a quick and direct option for getting to the parks if there is a problem with either the shuttles or the rideshares early in the morning.

But now I have a new set of concerns.

First, I'm reading all kinds of horror stories about renting a car from MCO, even from the 'name brand' companies (the best deals I've found are from Budget and Avis, both of which have abysmal reviews on Google). I have rented cars for years and I've rarely even come close to the experiences I'm reading about - I just can't even imagine how it's possible (though I once rented a jeep in Puerto Vallarta - seems like that is the closest experience I have had to what might be happening at MCO, lol). Waiting in line for hours in the middle of the night to get a car, getting high-mileage cars that have major issues, no customer service help, etc.

So my first question is - how concerned should I be about being able to get a decent rental car from either Budget or Avis in the middle of the night at the Orlando airport? Will I just end up wishing I had waited for a rideshare?

Secondly, I know parking at the parks is $25/day. That combined with the parking fee at the hotel ($20) is more than the car itself costs. Is it worth paying that to get to Early Entry quickly and easily? Can you park closely enough to make the time savings worth it? Otherwise I can try to take the hotel shuttle back and forth to save that $25 (which isn't a lot on it's own, but an extra $100 for the four days isn't nothing).

My concern is that I don't want to have to get up and get on a shuttle at 7a to make it to the 8:30 opening. We're coming from out west so we're already going to be getting up way earlier than we are used to, on top of the recent time change, so mornings are going to be rough no matter what. Anything I can do to make them easier I'm willing to try.

So what does everyone think? Stick with plan A - use rideshares from the airport and rideshares/shuttles to the parks or go with plan B - rent a car at the airport? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

(And I'll post the rest of the questions I have about our itinerary in a separate post)

I would rent a car not through UT with one of the on-site companies that let you skip the counter. Hertz, National, Thrifty I've used at MCO in the last 18 months with no problems. I've used Alamo in DEN but it wasn't as smooth a process as the other three. I'm currently in Nashville, not MCO. But yesterday I was able to walk right past a two hour line at Hertz because I was able to skip the counter. I was in a 2021 Trailblazer and at the exit gate 5 minutes after I walked out of baggage claim. www.autoslash.com and see what a rental would cost you.
I just read that the rideshare companies are adding a fuel surcharge so figure that into your claim. I can see a use case if you didn't need to go anywhere once you got to your hotel, but going to and from the parks every day quickly eats into your savings from not renting a car.

Well, the only way I can really justify a car rental for the days we are in Orlando is if I use the UT rate. Autoslash isn't really coming up with anything particularly enticing. In fact, booking direct through Avis offers a much better deal than even Autoslash is offering so that looks to be the best non-UT alternative, even though it would still be a couple hundred dollars more. I do like the idea of booking direct, though - seems like it might do something to mitigate all the problems everyone is running into trying to rent a car. I just can't tell...

And honestly, I'm mostly looking at renting a car for the convenience, for not having to gamble on finding a rideshare at 1:00am, and for edge it might give us in maximizing our time at the parks. Given that it will cost us about $90/day to use a rental car ($35 for the rental, $20 for hotel parking and $25 for WDW parking), even if we used rideshares four-to-six times a day we would still probably save money over the six days (right now a rideshare from DHS back to the Holiday Inn DS is only $8.91). If the cost of renting increases much beyond what I can get through UT it's going to be harder to justify unless my rideshare idea is going to wind up stranding us somewhere.

On a separate note, is there a way to avoid getting the toll transponder (which I understand costs $12/day to rent)? Will I encounter any tolls in the little WDW bubble we'll be staying in (not planning on going much farther than the five miles or less it takes to get to a grocery store/Walmart for necessities)? Can I just pick one up from the rental company once we're headed out of town?

I hate all this nickel-and-diming but we're already several thousand dollars deep into this trip which is more than I initially had planned on spending when I started the process. So at this point I'm looking to save some money wherever I can, as long as it doesn't cause us too much extra stress!

Does the Mears shuttle from the airport run that late? I just booked it, $16 per person one way from the airport to our Disney Springs hotel. That seemed very reasonable to me and you don't have to worry about surge pricing of Uber. We plan to use Uber/Lyft to get to the parks early, and probably the hotel shuttle in the afternoon. Even with surge pricing, it's such a short drive it shouldn't be too much.

Does the Mears shuttle from the airport run that late? I just booked it, $16 per person one way from the airport to our Disney Springs hotel. That seemed very reasonable to me and you don't have to worry about surge pricing of Uber. We plan to use Uber/Lyft to get to the parks early, and probably the hotel shuttle in the afternoon. Even with surge pricing, it's such a short drive it shouldn't be too much.
Yes, Mears Connect runs 24/7.

So just got more details on my Avis reservation - it appears they already offer a 'per use' charge on their toll transponder. $5.95 per day only when used, in addition to the cost of the toll. Seems reasonable enough to me...whew!

Thanks for the suggestion of the Mears shuttle - I will look into it as it may be more reliable?

At this point, I’m most concerned about having a transportation plan that is efficient and doesn’t leave us stranded or stuck in ridiculously long lines.

Renting a car seems to offer the most flexibility (good) but I’m also reading about long lines to get into (and out of, I presume) the parking lots (bad). I would hate to miss Early Entry because we couldn’t park in time and I don’t want to be stuck in an exit line for two hours at 9p (at this point we’re planning to do a late shift by staying until closing) while we’re exhausted.

I am assuming that rideshares and hotel shuttles will offer a more direct route to the gate without having to wait in long lines to park or having to hike in from a distant parking spot (good) but I have to be able to count on the ride coming through for us when we need it, especially early in the morning to make it to Early Entry and at the end of the night.

I’ll update if I learn anything more that might help anyone else struggling with this question.

Uber / Lyft has never been an issue for us. Longest we’ve waited is maybe 10 min. We will typically try to use the free park shuttles but if the lines are long, we’ll grab an Uber.

Getting a rental just always seems like too much of a hassle at WDW. With the parking fees and getting from the lot to the park does not seem quicker to me than just using an Uber.

Uber / Lyft has never been an issue for us. Longest we’ve waited is maybe 10 min. We will typically try to use the free park shuttles but if the lines are long, we’ll grab an Uber.

Getting a rental just always seems like too much of a hassle at WDW. With the parking fees and getting from the lot to the park does not seem quicker to me than just using an Uber.

Thank you for this perspective - this is what I was wondering about. Good to know.

I'm thinking that the costs of renting a car (and paying all the parking fees) and the costs of utilizing rideshares and, when possible, the hotel shuttle are probably close in number. Therefore it's going to come down to whichever seems most efficient.

So I did a little more research and thought I'd share the results for anyone else who might be interested.

I woke up at 5a MT this morning (ugh) to check what the Uber fares are at 7a ET in Orlando. There is definitely surge pricing going on at that time of day.

During the day the typical fares run from $9-$16 (depending on the park) from Holiday Inn Disney Springs to the various parks. Wait times are generally around 5 minutes.

At 7a ET the fares were running $35-$50 and the wait times were at least 15 minutes. And if Uber there is anything like it is elsewhere, 15 minutes is generally a minimum time and actual time can be longer than that.

At 7:20 ET the fares had dropped some and were generally $15-$30 with about 8 minute wait times. Still not 'normal' but better than just 20 minutes earlier.

Just too much left to chance for my taste having to rely on using Uber exclusively so I think I'll go ahead and roll the dice on an Avis rental car. Might end up being a little more expensive overall (topping out at about an extra $20 a day I figure) but I like the idea of having transportation whenever I need it (who knows what contingencies might come up). Just hoping I don't regret renting from Avis in the middle of the night...

Just wanted to point out that if Early Entry is at 8:30, you might be leaving the hotel by 7am driving or taking a shuttle. It takes a long time to get in line for Early Entry and you want to be in front of that line. Showing up at 8:30 you will be behind a lot of people also waiting to get in. Also, check park hours because I'm pretty sure AK Early Entry next week is 7am :crazy2:

Just wanted to point out that if Early Entry is at 8:30, you might be leaving the hotel by 7am driving or taking a shuttle. It takes a long time to get in line for Early Entry and you want to be in front of that line. Showing up at 8:30 you will be behind a lot of people also waiting to get in. Also, check park hours because I'm pretty sure AK Early Entry next week is 7am :crazy2:

Yeah, planning on leaving quite early to catch ETPE. Except for AK - will be trying to get there as soon as possible but since 6a is practically the middle of the night for us we might be closer to a 7a arrival that day (as ETPE does indeed start at 7a). Don't have much faith in the shuttles as they are going to make several stops prior to arriving at the parks and I saw somewhere that they actually only drop guests at EPCOT and guests will have to find Disney transportation from there. Can't confirm that but it all sounds highly inefficient.

How long should I be planning for getting into the parking lots (from Disney Springs), parking, and then walking to the gates?

I get that for Magic Kingdom we're going to have to park and then grab a monorail (which seems faster than trying to take the ferry but I could be wrong). But for the other parks, how much time will we need above and beyond the actual driving time to the parking lots (which isn't a lot if the map estimates are correct), assuming we are planning to arrive within a half-hour of the parking lots opening?

Quick follow-up for those who may be interested...

Rented a car from Avis at MCO. Our plane was about a half-hour late (arrived around 1a) but that didn't cause any issues. I had enrolled in Avis Preferred which may have made my check-in go more smoothly but I walked right up to the Avis counter (no line), got checked in with minimal hassle (no sales pitches) and was in an immaculate Toyota Corolla (less than 2500 miles) and drove off straight away. Whew! Was so concerned given all the terrible reviews and what not but it was as easy a rental as any other I've done (and better than some others I've done).

I did observe that the Budget counter had about a half-dozen people waiting in line at that time - not sure what that may portend but just thought I'd share that observation.

Having a rental car was great for getting groceries on our first day and for driving to Disney Springs. Even though we were in walking distance to Disney Springs from the Holiday Inn Disney Springs, when time is of the essence (as it was for most of our stay) every little savings counts.

We also didn't have any hold-ups getting into the parking lots at the parks - everything moved very quickly, even on the day when we were running late and were parking with the larger off-site crowds.

I will say that the lack of trams at all but the Magic Kingdom parking lot was a bigger deal than I had anticipated. We were in the parking lots before the parks opened every day because we had early entry so we were parked fairly near the front and the walk was still long. And, as I learned, when you are walking fifteen miles a day and your feet are dead tired, having to walk back and forth to your car twice a day (we took afternoon breaks to go back to our hotel) really adds to the toll.

But if we were to do it again tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to go with a car rental again (at least a rental from Avis). Absolutely worth the additional cost over using the hotel shuttle (now I can't even imagine having to rely on that) and great peace of mind over having to deal with getting a rideshare (even if they aren't too difficult to come by).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter