Group of 15 - mostly first timers. Advice please

Taking first timers is hard. They just don’t get it. It’s not like going to Cedar Point for the day. Most people dont realize it is very difficult (I say impossible but I’m sure it’s not) to just show up with zero knowledge of the park and have a productive day. Maybe have them watch some videos on YouTube to get a clearer picture. I agree with others to set a plan of which park which day and everyone do their own thing. Maybe meet for a meal or snack in the park. We always liked doing a nightly sit down dinner together and talk about our adventures of the day. You can’t do it all, and even if you did, they would t all follow it leaving you irritated that you did all that work for nothing. Believe me, Ive been there. Caused a huge meltdown in HS!!

So glad I found this thread. I brought up the idea of joint family Disney World vacation to one of my brothers. He liked the idea a lot, and while we haven't made anything official, I've decided to start getting ideas on planning out a joint family vacation. Thanks for this thread.

Last edited:
That being said, I think we have been very clear (in writing, saying it) multiple times that WE will be doing our thing & everyone else is to make the trip whatever they want... I have not planned any "group" activities because frankly the just trying to get MDE setup was suprising to me. I think I just have the fear of getting down to the say the dining reservations 60 + days out... making them..and then the day of, family thinking they can come along.

Based on this, I would figure out what you want to do. Then I’d email, have a meeting, whatever communication will work best. I’d say very clearly, “We are eating here. Brief description of what it is and why you picked it. For instance, on Thursday at 7:30 we are eating at La Hacienda, a Mexican restaurant in Epcot, so we can watch the fireworks during dinner. It will cost around $40 a person, or on Wednesday for lunch, we are eating at BOG, a castle where you can meet the beast from Beauty and the Beast. It will cost around $100. I’d tell them if you want to eat with us, you must tell me by X date, and your account must be set up. I’d offer to help anyone that needs it with their account. I’d tell them, if they don’t get back to you before the adr deadline, then 100% they will not be eating with you. Not an option. I’d emphasize that I can’t and won’t add them later. This way those who want to join can, those who want to do their own thing can, and everyone is on the same page. They may still try to show up last minute, but they will have only themselves to blame when they can’t get in.

I’d also try to schedule a few non park or non attraction activities you can do as a family.
  • Afternoon by the pool
  • S’mores by the fire
  • Resort activity
  • Board games in the room
  • Movie night
  • night watching the electrical water
  • pagent
  • MK fireworks from somewhere outside the park.
  • Beaches to eat the Kitchen Sink
  • Disney Springs
  • Stroll world showcase
  • Walk the animal trails at AK
Pick a couple and let everyone know the family reunion times will be what days and when. People can show up or not, but if the meet is outside the park, that takes stress off you in coordinating which days and ticket types people have. I feel like getting everyone at the pool is infinitely easier than at a meal or attraction in a specific park.

Lastly, I would just get clarification on what people want. Some people simply aren’t planners but are happy to go along with whatever you plan for them. Other people want to go with the flow or plan their own thing. I would figure out what everyone’s expectations are. It may be that some of them are happy to let you take over or may even be expecting that.

The other thing I would make clear is your touring style. If they want to tag along with you, they need to understand exactly what that means and understand you won’t be deviating from the plan.

I’d offer to help anyone who wants it with planning. I’d set a date, and invite anyone who cares. I’d give them a brief overview of what they need to know to plan on their own. Some may take you up and others not, but you offered. Every person you can get even a little educated before leaving will be one less potential problem to deal with later.

In summary, I’d give them 3 options:
  1. Do your own thing.
  2. Do my thing.
  3. Me help you plan your own thing, coordinate some with me.
Then, just stick to your plans and remind people of the choice they made.

So glad I found this threat. I brought up the idea of joint family Disney World vacation to one of my brothers. He liked the idea a lot, and while we haven't made anything official, I've decided to start getting ideas on planning out a joint family vacation. Thanks for this thread.
The OP’s family sounds like they just want to do their own thing or aren’t that interested.

I’ve been lucky in that my family and friends prefer me to plan everything and then to just show up and go where I tell them when. If your brother is cooperative or ok with you just planning it, things should go smoothly.

With big groups, I try to factor in something special for each person based on their interests, so everybody gets some pixie dust. We probably aren’t the norm, though, as we stay together about 90% of the time. It’s just what we are used to doing on vacation. Everyone is pretty good about compromising. I think even if activity A isn’t our personal favorite, we know it is “Susie’s” favorite, so we get excited for her and don’t want to miss out on her special moment.

So, although I think most of the advice here has been to split up because that seems best advice for OP, please know it is possible to have a big group that stays together if that is what you want to do, and everyone is on the same page.

From experience ~ multiple times ~ do not start your day together because there will always be someone late, someone wanting to change up and sleep in, someone who wants something else for breakfast.

We all agree on the park and then a meeting place inside the park around 11 am. Each group gets up when they want, eats breakfast when they want, opens the park or shows up later. There is zero stress in the mornings because everyone starts their day on their own terms and happy. We hang out the rest of the day unless someone decides to leave early (had that happen too and wished I'd been prepared and had not made dinner plans for all). We make just a couple TS for ALL (big groups yes we got split up to different tables) and that was less stress for the commit. Quick Service worked well for less commitment and ability to sit close together and visit.

One trip one family had focus on snacks, we were on rides so we said we were going to split up. Their kids got upset so they unhappily continued with us. I think discuss ahead that it is okay to split up at times if folks have different wants and needs. Best to discuss options on touring in advance.

When I've done this in the past, We all talk about accomodations (you're set) and then we plan (very loosely) a start to each day which most of us join in for. Example- Ok, we all plan to go to Epcot on this day, most of us will try for rope drop, a couple of us plan to meet up at 11 am- and after lunch (somewhere qs,as some in our group bring their own food) we can split up/or stay together as we feel it at the moment to either continue in the park,or go do our own thing. That sort of left everyone with options to do what they wanted, with a loose idea of meeting up daily. SO for a week trip, it worked well, most of us started and ended early, some started later and closed the park down. Some days it ended up being hot and we all went to the hotel pool in the afternoon and just hung out. I had NO real ride expectations, just to go and have fun. It was great each time we've done it. (wanted to add, since they're all new to Disney, it's a good idea for each fam in group to look online and possibly choose 1 attraction they're interested in,and start there each day.) I have no advice for genie+ or LL tho for a large group. Like I said, that's kind of what the open ended day plans were for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter