(Grown up) lunch ideas needed!

grover

DIS Veteran
As some of you may know I will be starting a new job this week (yipee!!). For the past several years I have worked for an organization that provided all our meals while on shift, this will not be the case with my new job! So after several years of having it pretty easy I will have to pack my own lunch-arrggghhhh! Any ideas for lunchs that I can make the night before or in the a.m., (Nothing fancy or time consuming-the kitchen is not my favorite room!) I have thought about making and freezing some chili, salad, tuna sandwich and noodles in a cup- any other ideas?
With Thanks from my tummy,
Grover in Winnipeg
:D :smooth: :D :smooth: :D

grover,

One of my favorite things to take to work is a baked potato. Most places have a microwave in their break room. I pre zap the potato at home just to make it easy. I put frozen broccoli or the California mix veggies in the container with the potato and by lunch time the veggies are thawed. I just zap it for a few minutes.

chessie

The hot pockets are real easy too, I like to take one of those, some yougert, fruit. or sometimes just cheese and crackers or even the lunchable things with cheese crackers and lunch meat, they are quick and easy too.

I love a good baked potato. And often I don't have the time to put all the stuff together. Commuting just zaps it out of me. So on those days that are cool or rainy and I really want something hot and quick, I go to Wendy's order a .99 potato and a .99 chili. Get the sour cream that comes with it and crackers. And when I get back to the office, I combine the potato and chili and have a drink I have stocked in the fridge (from home). Everytime I do that, someone sticks their head in my cube and asks what in the world I am eating --- cause it smells so good. Not bad for 2 bucks! ;)

On occasion, I get a side salad for .99 and an order of .99 chicken and cut up the chicken and put it in my salad. That's a pretty good one for 2 bucks too!

I'm not big on vending machine food. Especially in my office. It's not very healthy. So I stock my desk w/ snacks in tupperware containers: dry cereal, oatmeal, pretzels, sometimes popcorn, hot tea, honey, raisins, sometimes soup.

Oh having a large mug at your desk for soups comes in handy. I love it for warm drinks and lunch. Plastic spoons and forks are good too.

Hope that helps!
Annemarie

Seeing AnneMariec's post about keeping hot tea, and other beverage stocked at work made me think you could mix up some of those hot tea,cocoa, latte or whatever you like mixes and have them in ziploc bags. They are probably cheaper than buying the premade stuff. They are also great gift ideas for the holidays. As far as lunch ideas go, I love salad, especially those with grilled chicken, etc...If you have time on the weekends, you could prepare large portions of some things and then put them into individual containers for the week.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the ideas! I also love baked potatoes and salads with chicken! Grover in Winnipeg :D :smooth: :D

Do they have the Wendy's hamburger chain in Winnipeg? It is kinda surprising that you can find some healthy stuff on their menu and at a decent price. I know you want stuff to pack, but somedays you really need a back up!

Chunky soups (some even have a pull-tab top!)are great to stock at your desk. (An inexpensive can opener is handy. Whole wheat crackers are good too. Just make sure you put them in air tight containers. (No bugs.)

Good luck with your new job! What is it? And where did you work before that you got a free lunch?! You were lucky. That's the big saying in the states."There's no such thing as a free lunch!"

Annemarie

annemariec,
Your right, I did have a free lunch-for 4.5 years!! I worked at a residential substance abuse treatment center. I have always worked in the teen girls unit, most recently as the Unit Coordinator. I have seen and heard all the horrors done to children-sometimes the world is not a nice place, As staff we are most often the target of their anger and sadness so you can see why after 4.5 years it is time for a change. We worked a full 8 hour shift, you take your breaks when you can get them and we eat our meals with the residents- that is why they were free! My new job will be with the provincial government. I will be a Case Coordinator for people on income assistance. My first day will be on thursday- looking forward to it! It will be a change in that I won't be with my clients day in and day out but I will still be in the helping profession. And we do have a Wendy's up here- I love baked potatoe and spicey chicken sandwich!
Grover in Winnipeg
:D :smooth: :D :smooth:

You deserved a free lunch!! That was a hard road. Even if it was rewarding. To be helper and the "whipping post" has to be tough.

Good luck with your new job on Thursday! (Hey Thursday = Thanksgiving!) Hope all goes well.
It's nice that you are staying in a helping profession.

Take care,
Annemarie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter