Guardasil Vax For 12 Year Old Boy?

I'm not saying people shouldn't get the vaccination. Fear is usually the driving factor with these things and we have more pressing things to fear.

In this case, though, more pressing things to fear, like car accidents or heart disease should have NOTHING to do with this decision.

This decision should be based on if you have more to fear from the vaccine or from the disease(s) it prevents.

My son is only 2, so I have plenty of time to research and decide :), but right now I'm on the fence. Leaning more toward "get it" than "don't get it," however. The reports of adverse reactions scare me, but luckily he's never had a reaction to any other vaccines (and I'm COMPLETELY pro-vaccine).

My son's pediatrician also doesn't mention the "by choice" vaccines - i.e. we had to ask them about the flu vaccine last year. So when the time comes, I'm sure we'll have to discuss it with them.

I'm still on the fence with this one. My son is 10 and his pediatrician offered it at his last annual check up. I said I wanted to do a bit more research before deciding. Our ped is very pro vaccine (as in, if you are anti-vac, this isn't the practice for you and they tell you upfront) but has no problem with not giving this one. My biggest hesitation involves an acquaintance whose daughter is one of the kids who has long term side effects as a result of this vaccine (she, as a 20 year old young woman, will never be able to have children due to the vaccination).

In this case, though, more pressing things to fear, like car accidents or heart disease should have NOTHING to do with this decision.

This decision should be based on if you have more to fear from the vaccine or from the disease(s) it prevents.
Very true.

I'm still on the fence with this one. My son is 10 and his pediatrician offered it at his last annual check up. I said I wanted to do a bit more research before deciding. Our ped is very pro vaccine (as in, if you are anti-vac, this isn't the practice for you and they tell you upfront) but has no problem with not giving this one. My biggest hesitation involves an acquaintance whose daughter is one of the kids who has long term side effects as a result of this vaccine (she, as a 20 year old young woman, will never be able to have children due to the vaccination).

That is one of the same "side effects" my daughters sister has among many many others.

For those that say they vaccinate their children but are choosing not to get an HPV vaccine, why are you choosing to not get this one but are okay with the others?

The "side effects" of this one scare me way worse than the others- plus this one is only effective on a very few strains of hpv so its not going to protect against most anyway-not worth the chance in my book. If anyone wants to get it for their kid that's great for them but for us personally it's not worth the risk.

My DD's are up to date on all vaccines. They may get this one, but it will be a little later- probably 15 or so if they get it. Hoping more and more info comes out on this one. There are international lawsuits and bans on this particular vaccine. It has more bad press than many other vaccines. I've done a lot of research and will continue to do so before we decide. I've read tons of for and against literature. For us, this one isn't as straight forward as the other vaccines, all of which were given on schedule.

The "side effects" of this one scare me way worse than the others- plus this one is only effective on a very few strains of hpv so its not going to protect against most anyway-not worth the chance in my book. If anyone wants to get it for their kid that's great for them but for us personally it's not worth the risk.
Yes it is true it is only effective on a few strains but they are the strains that cause most of the cancers.

I do agree everyone needs to make choices for them & their family and what is right for me may or may not be right for someone else.

They weren't recommending it for boys when ours were the right age so they have not had it. Our daughter received the series of shots a number of years ago.

For what it's worth...

The HPV vaccine (Gardasil) has been administered to girls in all Ontario public schools for the past 10 years. Starting last year, it was administered to boys, as well.

I have never met anyone who has suffered a serious reaction to it. I've never even heard rumours of such a thing happening to any of my children's schoolmates, over the past decade. I have heard of many mild reactions (ie, sore arms, fevers), however.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that based on personal experience vaccinating your kids certainly does not seem to be a risky thing to do.

Conversely, I do know several people with HPV, including one very dear friend who graphically described getting the warts burned off her genitals (eek!).

By the numbers:

In 2015, approximately 9 million publicly funded doses of vaccine were distributed in Ontario (this number includes, but it not limited to, Gardasil).

231 sore arms were reported (to be fair, this number is probably vastly under estimated, as most people won't bother reporting a sore arm)

167 rashes (more likely to be reported, as any doctor the child sees is required to report it)

117 skin reactions (ditto)

34 "serious events" were reported (ie, anaphylaxis), representing 4 in every 1 million doses distributed.

There were no deaths attributed to vaccines in Ontario that year.

Beyond that, though, I know I am not at all qualified to research the safety of a vaccine. I get my daughter (3rd year Biochemistry) to look up most of my science related questions for me, and even she admits she doesn't have the background to fully understand the research around this. And she knows so, SO very much more than I ever will. I think, sometimes, the egalitarian nature of information online leads us into thinking we can understand everything if we just do a little Googling. I've been mislead more times than I can count by something I've read that sounds plausible. Which is why I am willing to trust the expertise of my public health officials, here in Canada. They've given me no reason not to.

Heck, I even get my flu shot every year, now.

You know what. This thread really got me doing some soul searching. If anything I said encouraged someone to not vaccinate I take it back. Just do your research and make the choice that's right for you. :)

Both my daughters will get it when its time. If I had sons they would get it. If for no other reason than to help protect their future partners. Its not 100% but nothing is.

My DD's are up to date on all vaccines. They may get this one, but it will be a little later- probably 15 or so if they get it. Hoping more and more info comes out on this one. There are international lawsuits and bans on this particular vaccine. It has more bad press than many other vaccines. I've done a lot of research and will continue to do so before we decide. I've read tons of for and against literature. For us, this one isn't as straight forward as the other vaccines, all of which were given on schedule.
If you wait until then, you will need three doses. My 14 years olds only need two.

The HPV vaccine was the worst - it was so painful, and my arm would bruise and throb for days after. Back when I got it (probably around 2006 - it was relatively new), it was three shots over a period of months - I'm not sure if it's changed, I don't have kids to vaccinate. I always thought it was stupid, and that it was just a "prevention" shot and that everyone would get HPV anyway, and you didn't know if the shot was really helpful - I argued with my mother about it relentlessly.

Anyway, this past year I had to get a biopsy (at 25 - scary!), and it came back not cancerous... when I was talking to my gyno she asked if I had the HPV shot, and she said that she was so relieved I had because that really reduced the risk. I don't know if I would have had cancer if I hadn't gotten the shot, or any of those scenarios, but I'm really happy I don't have cancer. So I'm happy my mom made me get those horrible shots.

I work in a Dr office and we haven't heard anything bad. what did you read?

But don't you know that actual doctors and scientists refuse to give the vaccine to their own children? They know things we don't! You must have missed the secret memo. :rotfl:

(In all seriousness, I spent entirely too much time this morning Googling to see what would pop up.)

For what it's worth...

Beyond that, though, I know I am not at all qualified to research the safety of a vaccine. I get my daughter (3rd year Biochemistry) to look up most of my science related questions for me, and even she admits she doesn't have the background to fully understand the research around this. And she knows so, SO very much more than I ever will. I think, sometimes, the egalitarian nature of information online leads us into thinking we can understand everything if we just do a little Googling. I've been mislead more times than I can count by something I've read that sounds plausible. Which is why I am willing to trust the expertise of my public health officials, here in Canada. They've given me no reason not to.

This! I am a teacher. I can certainly research best methods for teaching reading, but I do not have the scientific background to read medical research. I trust my pediatrician. Both my DS 18 and my DD 16 have had the series. My DS 12 will get it at 13. They only need two shots if they get it before 15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter