Guardians of the Galaxy — Monsters After Dark

KRW321

Earning My Ears
I’m probably going to go to Disney sometime in late September and haven’t been in a while. I know Monsters After Dark occurred last year, but not entirely sure how the ride is. Does it only change at night to Monsters After Dark and during the day is left as the normal Guardians ride? Or is it closed all day and only opens as Monsters at nighttime? Also, does the ride have to undergo a refurb a few weeks/days before Halloween season is underway? I want to be sure to at least experience Guardians when I go. Thank you!!

They didn't require any substantial downtime when switching from regular GotG to GotG: Monsters After Dark. Based on report last year, the attraction closed around 4:00 pm and then reopened at 5:00 pm with MAD version. I think the attraction closed for the hour or so during the transition mainly to clear out the queue. FPs were distributed starting at 3:00 pm, with the first return times at 5:00 pm. This might all change this year (start time mostly), but I would guess it'll be pretty similar.

They've indicated that it will be back for 2018.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/at...guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout-after-dark/

I must have just missed this last Sept! Also HM & Space we’re closed for overlay. But the Halloween decorations at DCA were amazing! Every day there were new things being added. Next time I’ll plan for later Sept.

The switchover happened relatively quickly. The regular queue was closed with enough time to ensure everyone got through before 5pm. Fastpass distribution started at 3pm; the line to get it was super long, so it was easier to be ready at 3 with MaxPass to grab one. Though a couple times there were technical issues so I couldn't get a pass until closer to 3:30. People begin lining up standby almost immediately after they close the regular standby queue. Eventually they let the standby people get into the outdoor queue. The FP queue can get pretty long, with a taped back-and-forth queue on the ground outside.

For the changeover they close the doors. The CMs slightly change their uniforms-put on torn up vests. The screen inside switches video and the lights change to be on-theme with a breakout (sirens, red lights, etc). The CMs get really into it and right before they open the doors some usually come running out with monsters in fishing nets and some puppets, which is pretty awesome!

Some other lighting effects and video changes happen in the pre-show and indoor queue. I think the outdoor building lighting also is switched during the Halloween season.

For the ride itself, its a different song. THe ride sequence is the same as one of the 6 regular sequences, but I don't remember which one. Everyone gets the same sequence and song. The concept is that Baby Groot has gotten left behind when the Guardians escaped so you have to help Rocket save him. It's pretty fun and I'd recommend making an effort to get a FP or ride it at least once when you are there!

Is it too scary for kids? If they are fine with the regular version will they be fine with the MAD version?

Is it too scary for kids? If they are fine with the regular version will they be fine with the MAD version?
The format is pretty similar to the regular ride. If the kid has a particular fear of monsters that's something to consider, but they're not particularly scary as far as monsters go.

You may want to check out a YouTube video, I loved MAD but it was loud and quite dark, so I would say that it depends on what frightens your particular kids to know if they would enjoy it. All of the kids that rode it with us the multiple times we did it seemed to enjoy it, but I can see how some children might be a little frightened by how dark and loud it is. The monsters themselves aren't any scarier than the ones in the current version.

I loved MAD but it was loud and quite dark.
Do you think it was louder and darker than the regular version? I'm trying to remember myself, but the ride is already dark except for the light from the screens, and that's exactly the same if I remember right. The music might be louder in MAD now that I think about it, but the people screaming are even louder anyway, so I didn't really notice. The music is more hard core compared to the light and cheery music in the regular ride, so I suppose that could make it scarier if the music is part of what makes the ride seem fun instead of scary to the child.

Do you think it was louder and darker than the regular version? I'm trying to remember myself, but the ride is already dark except for the light from the screens, and that's exactly the same if I remember right. The music might be louder in MAD now that I think about it, but the people screaming are even louder anyway, so I didn't really notice. The music is more hard core compared to the light and cheery music in the regular ride, so I suppose that could make it scarier if the music is part of what makes the ride seem fun instead of scary to the child.
My husband and I both thought it was a much more intense experience than the regular ride, so we didn’t take our daughter (who loves regular GOTG). I think it’s the music that gives it so much intensity.

This is her on regular GOTG:
3rwyH1m.png

Yes, I thought that it was considerably darker than the original, and also that the music was louder (or maybe the type of music just seemed louder?) also their was a lot more screaming overall by the riders so for me it was much louder (but I LOVED it).

I think the music is definitely a big factor. "Monsters After Dark" is more metal-rock, while the others are classic rock.

Yes, I thought that it was considerably darker than the original, and also that the music was louder (or maybe the type of music just seemed louder?) also their was a lot more screaming overall by the riders so for me it was much louder (but I LOVED it).
I bet the music is louder. Now that I've thought about it I remember being able to clearly hear the music on MAD, whereas in the regular ride I often can't hear it over the screams. But I don't think it could be darker because I don't think the original ride has any lights in the first place - both versions are completely dark (other than the screens and camera flash), right? I'll have to pay better attention next time I ride.
I think the music is definitely a big factor. "Monsters After Dark" is more metal-rock, while the others are classic rock.
That's a good point. I would consider playing the music for the child in question before the trip so you can see how they react and so they can get used to the song ahead of time.

I bet the music is louder. Now that I've thought about it I remember being able to clearly hear the music on MAD, whereas in the regular ride I often can't hear it over the screams. But I don't think it could be darker because I don't think the original ride has any lights in the first place - both versions are completely dark (other than the screens and camera flash), right? I'll have to pay better attention next time I ride.

That's a good point. I would consider playing the music for the child in question before the trip so you can see how they react and so they can get used to the song ahead of time.

It felt darker to me, I asked my friend who rode it with me multiple times, and she said that she agreed with me, but that it was likely that the dark parts last longer in MAD between the screen time, which makes it feel darker, or we are both going crazy!

It felt darker to me, I asked my friend who rode it with me multiple times, and she said that she agreed with me, but that it was likely that the dark parts last longer in MAD between the screen time, which makes it feel darker, or we are both going crazy!
I hand't thought about the sequence being different so the dark parts are longer - that could be. I also think the queue is darker.

For the changeover they close the doors. The CMs slightly change their uniforms-put on torn up vests. The screen inside switches video and the lights change to be on-theme with a breakout (sirens, red lights, etc). The CMs get really into it and right before they open the doors some usually come running out with monsters in fishing nets and some puppets, which is pretty awesome!

Some other lighting effects and video changes happen in the pre-show and indoor queue. I think the outdoor building lighting also is switched during the Halloween season.

Didn't they get rid of the vests a few weeks into the season? I think it was due to some guest feedback that they got rid of them. Have to say they were an awesome touch and really appreciated the amount of effort they put into the overlay.

Didn't they get rid of the vests a few weeks into the season? I think it was due to some guest feedback that they got rid of them. Have to say they were an awesome touch and really appreciated the amount of effort they put into the overlay.
Hmm, every time I went on it I saw vests. I don’t remember when I last went on it but I think on Oct 13 (pre-Halloween Party) I saw vests and the hand puppets (I was one of the first people in Fastpass line).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter