Guardians of the Galaxy is looking great!

$94.3 Million domestic and $66.4 Million foreign opening weekend for an August record by a huge amount and one of the biggest openings of the year!

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3885&p=.htm
"With strong word-of-mouth ("A" CinemaScore) and great reviews, Guardians of the Galaxy could hold up well for the remainder of the Summer. If it plays like Captain America: The Winter Soldier—possible, though far from guaranteed—it will wind up being the highest-grossing movie of the season in the U.S. with over $250 million."

Boy, I didn't see that one coming. I'm glad I've avoided spoilers, I enjoyed the surprise.

It made me laugh to realize that Disney now owns a property that has been a thorn in their side for almost 40 years; in fact, they may have bought both Marvel and LucasFilms to be certain that they were the undisputed owners. :rotfl::rotfl2::donald::cool1::smokin:
That was a total surprise and very, very funny! Maybe they'll do a reboot!?!?

We just saw the movie for the second time...

Anyone who has seen it, did you see the hidden mickey in the movie? I swear it was there, and I am tempted to see the movie again, just to confirm. I cant find anything on the internet about it, and I just want some confirmation...

I did not see it, and will have to watch it again and look for it. Where?

Loved it. I want a toy version of the very end . . . you know what I mean if you've seen the movie. (A Disney exec has tweeted that they are working on one.) And I want an "Escape from the Kyln" ride right away, Disney! :cool1:

I did not see [a Hidden Mickey], and will have to watch it again and look for it. Where?
I didn't see it either, but I think I read that there is a set of mouse ears near the entrance to the Collector's place.

Loved it. I want a toy version of the very end . . . you know what I mean if you've seen the movie. (A Disney exec has tweeted that they are working on one.) And I want an "Escape from the Kyln" ride right away, Disney! :cool1:

I didn't see it either, but I think I read that there is a set of mouse ears near the entrance to the Collector's place.

Oh my goodness! I want one of those, too, that would be a cool toy.

P.S. Monday and Tuesday GotG made $11 million each day!

Have to go see it again.

Have to go see it again.

The kids (teenage girls, go figure) want to see If I Stay . . . maybe if the times match up I can sneak down the hall and get me some more Rocket goodness while that goes on! (But then the older one will shoot me for seeing it again without her.)

Yes, you are correct the movie has received amazing reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. After watching the trailer of "Guardians of the Galaxy" on YouTube, I am really excited to watch this movie. I can’t wait to see this film! There are so many great actors involved, I’m not surprised it’s getting great reviews. It’s not released in my region until August 14th, I’m sure it will be as popular with moviegoers here as it is in the US.

10305597_717731651607145_5631116695464322840_n.jpg

Finally saw it yesterday. popcorn:: GREAT movie! (However, one of the guys I saw it with hates it because "I can't get past the talking raccoon.") Laughed through just about the whole thing, other than the first few minutes. And the stinger. Dear Heavens! :rotfl2:

Boy, I didn't see that one coming. I'm glad I've avoided spoilers, I enjoyed the surprise.

It made me laugh to realize that Disney now owns a property that has been a thorn in their side for almost 40 years; in fact, they may have bought both Marvel and LucasFilms to be certain that they were the undisputed owners. :rotfl::rotfl2::donald::cool1::smokin:

The best thing about the ending is that it's not what you think it is. :rotfl:
Going white to not spoil for those who haven't seen it:

There is a cocoon in the Collector's place. At the end, you see the cocoon broken open in the background. In the cocooon is Adam Warlock. He's a player in the GoTG comics; manipulates energy, teleports, force fields, time travel--things of that nature. And he's a big part of the Infinity Gauntlet story line!
Howard the Duck is a diversion, away from the cocoon.

The best thing about the ending is that it's not what you think it is. :rotfl:
Going white to not spoil for those who haven't seen it:

Yeah, I read about that, though I didn't see it myself. Good job if you spotted it in the theater.

Be aware that the white letter thing doesn't work for people reading the message board on the mobile app, so they will see the spoilers in normal letters on their screens.

QUOTE=surferdave;52041529]Yeah, I read about that, though I didn't see it myself. Good job if you spotted it in the theater.

Be aware that the white letter thing doesn't work for people reading the message board on the mobile app, so they will see the spoilers in normal letters on their screens.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so sorry if I messed up anyone! :guilty:

DH caught it, and explained it to me. He's the comic (and D&D) guy in the house.
He's been waiting 40 years for this movie...

Ah, so sorry if I messed up anyone! :guilty:

DH caught it, and explained it to me. He's the comic (and D&D) guy in the house.
He's been waiting 40 years for this movie...

The GotG when your hubby & I were comic reading kids were completely different; these guys were created in the 2000's.

But I know how he feels. Between Marvel, Fox, Sony & WB we'll probably get more than 25 comic book movies before 2020. For some reason that annoys a lot of people (who didn't seem to mind that westerns were once produced at about 3 times that rate), but for us it's a great time to be alive. :charac4:

The GotG when your hubby & I were comic reading kids were completely different; these guys were created in the 2000's.

But I know how he feels. Between Marvel, Fox, Sony & WB we'll probably get more than 25 comic book movies before 2020. For some reason that annoys a lot of people (who didn't seem to mind that westerns were once produced at about 3 times that rate), but for us it's a great time to be alive. :charac4:

Comic reading kid? :lmao: Comic reading adult.

His mom threw away all his kid comics when he left home for college (my MIL is not the sharpest knife in the knife drawer) Along with all his original D&D stuff. :faint: :sad: All those comics from the 70s and 80s gone, because my MIL was mad that DH left home.

But there are 4 huge plastic tubs of comics from the early 90's-2010 sitting in my spare bedroom. (Yes, all in plastic; also sorted by type, then date.) DH is finally allowing DS to read them, one at a time and only in the spare room. DS is on :cloud9:.

And dozens of D&D books in boxes in my bedroom closet. Also, a hard drive on my computer almost full of D&D mods, characters, etc :badpc:

I'm surprised at how much I ended up liking this movie. As another poster stated this was not the GOTG I grew up with. While I would have rather seen the original line up this ended up exceeding my expectations and I left looking forward to the next one. Groot and Rocket stole the show. I wonder if Disney has the rights to use the characters in the parks or if Universal holds those as well. Another hit from Marvel and Disney.

CouchTater said:
I'm surprised at how much I ended up liking this movie. As another poster stated this was not the GOTG I grew up with. While I would have rather seen the original line up this ended up exceeding my expectations and I left looking forward to the next one. Groot and Rocket stole the show. I wonder if Disney has the rights to use the characters in the parks or if Universal holds those as well. Another hit from Marvel and Disney.

The Guardians are separate from the Avengers and Disney can do anything they want with the characters including using them in the parks!

The Guardians are separate from the Avengers and Disney can do anything they want with the characters including using them in the parks!

I suspected they probably were. Rocket and Groot would be great characters to add for M&G Disney has enough princesses for now.

Just in case anyone missed the story, one of the original creators of Rocket Raccoon, Bill Mantlo, was hit by a car some years ago and has permanent brain damage. Disney/Marvel brought a copy of the film to his room to show him.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08...f-guardians-of-the-galaxy-courtesy-of-marvel/

He got screen credit, too.

If you poke around the internet some, there are ways to donate to Mantlo's care, if any Rocket fans happen to be so moved.

StarLord and Gamora will be appearing at an Awesome Mix Tape dance party at the Villains Unleashed party.

Guardians of the Galaxy is now the biggest movie of the summer beating Transformers and is expected to be the biggest movie of the year, domestically. It won the weekend this weekend, too! It is doing well overseas, but is less certain to surpass other movies (such as Transformer's $1 Billion plus). However, it is expected to exceed Maleficent's $750 million plus, so one never knows. I hope it makes a Billion. However, it doesn't matter, GotG is a humongous hit. Kudos Disney and Marvel.

We are Groot.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/24/guardians-galaxy-box-office-report/

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/b...laxy-back-on-top-sin-city-2-flops-1201289275/

Go Disney! Go Marvel!

Guardians of the Galaxy will win the weekend. As of Friday or early Saturday is the number one movie of the year, and is now guaranteed to finish above $300 million.

Not bad for a risky unknown proposition with no household name stars in the lead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...laxy-headed-to-300-million-at-u-s-box-office/

Also, kudos to Robert Downey for acknowledging GotG as the best Marvel movie (in some ways) while poking fun at his own ego.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08...ns-of-the-galaxy-may-be-best-marvel-movie-yet
“Galaxy in some ways is the best Marvel movie ever,” Downey told the Toronto Sun. “And it’s odd for someone with — on occasion — an ego the size of mine to actually say that!”

And finish things up with a wonderful article about how good superhero movies can inspire children with the idea that all kinds of people including those with challenges or flaws can be heroes. The story is about an autistic boy who doesn't get metaphors and is absolutely taken with Drax the Destroyer who also doesn't get metaphors. He tells everyone that "people with autism can be superheros."

Yes. Yes they can.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Guardians-Galaxy-Taught-Kid-With-Autism-Superhero-66981.html

Now, after Captain America, Maleficent, and Guardians, it will be so cool if Big Hero 6 is a hit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter