Hale Koa vs. Aulani

Raya

DIS Veteran
We have the option of staying at the Hale Koa on Waikiki Beach or staying at Aulani. We can't decide which hotel is the better fit. The Hale Koa is way cheaper, but this is a once in a lifetime trip. We love all things Disney, and the Aulani looks like an amazing resort. Right now I'm leaning towards a split stay with 4 days at each. We'd like an active trip - snorkeling, hiking, surfing lessons, cooking class - but also want to be able to spend some quiet time on the beach watching the stars. My concerns at Aulani are crowds/that we won't be able to get a pool chair without getting up early in the morning (maybe this isn't a concern post-COVID?). My concerns at the Hale Koa is a lack of activities and wow factor. Any thoughts?

I think you hit it dead on, on all counts. I’d do my exploring mostly from Hale Koa and save Aulani for more enjoying the amenities. I’ve also heard their luau is great and a good price for those staying there.

Dont sweat the chair thing. If you really want to lay by the pool all day, get up early and snag a chair. If you just need one here and there, you can find something (maybe not in your ideal spot) or go sit at the beach. It’s a beautiful resort.

We just returned and stayed at both.
Hale Koa for eligible guests, the price really can't be beat and the parking fees are some of the lowest in Waikiki. Also, no resort fee. The hotel is fine, rooms are normal hotel rooms with a small fridge, micro down the hall, and a few restaurant/take out choices. There is a small PX shoppette on site which is nice for snacks, souvenirs and beach supplies, etc. The new pool area at Hale Koa is really nice also. They weren't running their luau, comedy show or buffet when we were there last week. Definetely not a lot of "wow" factor.
We usually go small budget at Hale Koa, and do the activities on the windward side and Pearl Harbor/swap meet/etc while staying there.
Then we splurge at Aulani. This trip we had a one bedroom with kitchen and it was amazing. Truly resort like and immersive. I just made sure to get up early before 8:00 to reserve chairs. I actually didn't mind having a quiet hour or so watching the sun come up and had great location overlooking the ocean.
Feel free to ask any specific questions!

Thankful to see this thread and will follow. we hope in the next year or two to make it to Hawaii, and in-laws want to stay and want us to stay with them at Hale Koa, but I want to try Aulani. When the time comes, maybe we can do a split. happy to read the info on comparing the two. If/when we ever get to go, I'll have tons more Hawaii questions. None of us have ever been.

I think split stay is a great idea! We’ve stayed at the Hale Koa many times (most when we lived there). It’s a fine choice for Waikiki, on the widest stretch of beach, great food options, and they had a tour desk to help with activities.

Of course, Aulani is a totally different feel, more of a resort bubble, so you’d likely do more resort time there.

Depending on the service member’s rank, I’d also look at other Waikiki resorts with government rates. We used to get better rates at the Moana Surfrider, but then missed the great dining options at Hale Koa (we used to eat there sometimes even not staying there, as they had great food at Biba’s and of course their Mai Tai bar was famous, we’d go there at least once a month). The Hale Koa rooms, though, I recall were nice and quiet at night. The Moana can get noisy as last year we heard music from the Outrigger next door nightly.

For a once in a lifetime trip, I’d say the most important thing is this. Go for as long as you can. I’d do more nights at the Hale Koa and end it with a couple at Aulani to just enjoy the resort. Our first trip back after moving away from Oahu, we did 11 nights at the Hale Koa. It was such fun. I had missed the island after being away for 5 years! We ended up buying at the Marriott Ko Olina the following year, so we could go back more often and enjoy a full condo.

Just wanted to pop back in and say, if you are going to Aulani between now and June, they are still offering a nice military discount.

I don't know much about Hale Koa, but we did a split stay between a Marriott in Waikiki and Aulani and it worked out great. We stayed 3 nights at the Marriott and 6 nights at Aulani. We opted to not have a rental car during our Waikiki stay to avoid driving and parking costs/hassles, so we took advantage of the organized bus tours to Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head during that time where parking can be a challenge. There are few tours that offer transportation from Aulani, so it makes sense to do those from Waikiki. We did a few things on the North Shore and the windward side of the island from Aulani because that was an easier commute. If/when we ever return, I would definitely do a split stay between Waikiki and Aulani again. Two very different vibes in each area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter