Half Marathon Results

Hey Amanda--congrats to your hubby...and there's always next year. Never say never ;). Believe it or not--when I started all of this for last years marathon--1 mile had me huffing and puffing and out of breath.

Usually--if by nature you are not a sprinter...then endurance can be learned ;).

A sprinter I am not--so tortoise ville here I am :) and proudly so!

Hey, Amanda -- great cause for pride there! CONGRATULATIONS, Kevin! :banana:
BTW, we were in the same corral and I was race #26461. I am incredibly impressed that you were able to break through those crowds and make such great time. You must have been trucking!

Amanda -- I still think you have this in you! It's a whole year away and (although I HATE it when anyone else says this . . . ) If I can walk the 1/2, you can too!

[That is just one little thing that bugged me this weekend. Several people said "YOU ran the 1/2 marathon?" And I said "I walked and jogged it to be able to finish within the required time." And then the comments went something like this "Oh, well, I could do that too. I thought you had to run it. I'll probably sign up for it next year." Instead of admitting that it took me 49 weeks to get in shape to do it, I just said "You should. It is great fun. It is so exciting."] Okay, vent over. Sorry. :confused3

keenercam said:
[That is just one little thing that bugged me this weekend. Several people said "YOU ran the 1/2 marathon?" And I said "I walked and jogged it to be able to finish within the required time." And then the comments went something like this "Oh, well, I could do that too. I thought you had to run it. I'll probably sign up for it next year." Instead of admitting that it took me 49 weeks to get in shape to do it, I just said "You should. It is great fun. It is so exciting."] Okay, vent over. Sorry. :confused3

Interesting comments from people-- I don't think some people realize JUST how much goes into getting ready for this. I think people equate running=Hard; walking=I do it everyday so it's easy. What they don't realize is that they don't walk 13.1 miles at once, at a 16 minute per mile pace every day!!!!

Yes. It is hard to explain that. And if I didn't have the support here and know how hard we all work to accomplish whatever event we take on, their comments would have minimized my accomplishment. I am trying to separate in my head before I sign up for the full. John Bingham and Coach Jenny Hadfield say "YOU MUST RESPECT THE MILES" or something like that. I KNOW I was hurting after walking the 1/2. The fact that other people who didn't do it don't think it was that hard should not brainwash me to think that I should take on the full. KWIM?

keenercam said:
[That is just one little thing that bugged me this weekend. Several people said "YOU ran the 1/2 marathon?" And I said "I walked and jogged it to be able to finish within the required time." And then the comments went something like this "Oh, well, I could do that too. I thought you had to run it. I'll probably sign up for it next year." Instead of admitting that it took me 49 weeks to get in shape to do it, I just said "You should. It is great fun. It is so exciting."]

PLEASE!!! Take such RUDE comments as ENVY or AIRHEADEDNESS!!!! You all did such a fantastic job!!! I am in such AWE of all of you!!! :worship: No matter the time...YOU DID IT!! ..besides, there are ALWAYS gonna be Monday morning quarterbacks!!
I'm trusting your, "If I can do it.." and am training NOW for next year's half. Haven't signed up yet. Want to give it a month. I've got MFM coming, printed out Oprah's Spa Girls regime, Hal's schedule, PLUS Bob Greene's!!! :bitelip:
Do you think the DL half will fill up in a month? Then there IS that 5K at Minnie..... :hyper:

I think the DL Inaugural 1/2 with that awesome incredible castle medal is a great excuse for us to finally visit DL. Or is visiting DL a great excuse for going for that awesome, incredible castle medal? Either way -- I have 8 1/2 months to train for it and plan to be in awesome shape by then. Come join us! :banana:

keenercam said:
Hey, Amanda -- great cause for pride there! CONGRATULATIONS, Kevin! :banana:
BTW, we were in the same corral and I was race #26461. I am incredibly impressed that you were able to break through those crowds and make such great time. You must have been trucking!

Amanda -- I still think you have this in you! It's a whole year away and (although I HATE it when anyone else says this . . . ) If I can walk the 1/2, you can too!

They may be screaming for mercy if they think that is *all* that has to be done--to just show up and run walk it.

Many do it--and either drop out or get swept b/c of it.

You are among the elite--you actually *earned* that medal!

My hubby trained (okay--missed a *few* sessions *AHEM*) and we always say he's the great starter and I'm the great finisher--always late in the miles he's in "are we done yet" and "this hurts mode" and I'm all "la la la la la la la". (except on hills--those just kick my but b/c I couldn't really train on them during the season).

You can always do a science experiment/bet. Say--okay show up--and we'll see who can still *walk* on Monday! :hyper:

If i didn't have the medal i wouldn't believe i did it.

Thank you to this board and all the posters who inspired me to try.

I wasn't sure i would actually get to go because of DH's work schedule,childcare etc.
i wasn't sure i could complete 13 miles or do it fast enough not to get swept.
I hadn't done an atletic endeavor in 30 years and had no idea how a race (big or small) worked except for what i had learned on the Disboards.

Got 2 hours sleep the night before the race. My mind was like a hamster running on a wheel.

I did wear my WISH t-shirt the next morning and met NYCPA and Stitch Lover Sith in the staging area and a few other Disers. All very welcoming.

Ended up doing the Half with NYcpa. It was so nice to have a race Buddy. Thank you, Kathy!

Met Lisa loves Pooh at the Massage tent. (I am sorry i forgot to offer you your scarf back. I could mail it.)

FELICIA 03:24:40 (chiptime) @ Final time (unofficial):

And now:
I'll be at WDW for Minnie weekend but will do the 1 mile walk with my mother and my 4 year old daughter. We will be staying at BCV on rented points.
-want to do DL Half in Sept for 45th B'day present to myself.
And of course, want to do WDW next January.
This has opened a new door for me.
And now i'm trying to talk everybody i know into doing it with me!

Ok I'm back from my fantastic Virginia/Florida vacation. The half marathon was a blast and my niece and I were able to finish just in the nick of time. We did a 16 min. mile and came in at 3.5 hrs. That's not the greatest time but we did it. :cool1: I hope to see you all next year where I may participate in the full...who knew? :earsboy:

Amanda - sorry we missed each other. How did you like your stay at Pop? My niece and I loved it.

Hi all -

What a great time I had, although I do have issues with the crowdedness of the whole affair. I finished in 2hrs 14 mins & some seconds. I felt pretty good afterwards, too. Thanks to all who got me through on these boards.

Jodi

Howard

You are THE MAN! Anyone who could go through what you faced in the week before the half marathon and still get into the corrals and finish in a good time has done something special. Congragulations.

Okay, to everyone who faces some total dope who makes a statement similar to, "oh, you walked some? Well even I could do that."

Notice the difference in reactions to a person wearing a Donald medal. First from those who have done it or more. Take the Goofy finisher in Atlanta airport, "there is no only, you finished the half." Great quote, I think I'll steal it. My reaction to seeing Mel, Howard and Cam at mile 24.7 of the full in front of the Beach Club, all wearing the Donald medal, "congratulations, you did it!"

Now the reaction from those who didn't do it. "Well, it can't be that tough." Again, a total idiot. Actually it is that tough. Training for the entire year so you can do it well. A classic case of someone who has never done anything making light of another person's accomplishment.

As I've gotten older I don't take any of that type of garbage anymore. Any snide comment are quickly met with a "try it sometime and then tell me how my finish doesn't meet your standards."

Craig

monte said:
Ok I'm back from my fantastic Virginia/Florida vacation. The half marathon was a blast and my niece and I were able to finish just in the nick of time. We did a 16 min. mile and came in at 3.5 hrs. That's not the greatest time but we did it. :cool1: I hope to see you all next year where I may participate in the full...who knew? :earsboy:

Amanda - sorry we missed each other. How did you like your stay at Pop? My niece and I loved it.

Yea, I am sorry we missed each other too. We did like POP. Kevin took like 100 pictures. I was a bit spoiled by Wilderness Lodge our first night though!

Calcio said:
Howard

You are THE MAN! Anyone who could go through what you faced in the week before the half marathon and still get into the corrals and finish in a good time has done something special. Congragulations.

Okay, to everyone who faces some total dope who makes a statement similar to, "oh, you walked some? Well even I could do that."

Notice the difference in reactions to a person wearing a Donald medal. First from those who have done it or more. Take the Goofy finisher in Atlanta airport, "there is no only, you finished the half." Great quote, I think I'll steal it. My reaction to seeing Mel, Howard and Cam at mile 24.7 of the full in front of the Beach Club, all wearing the Donald medal, "congratulations, you did it!"

Now the reaction from those who didn't do it. "Well, it can't be that tough." Again, a total idiot. Actually it is that tough. Training for the entire year so you can do it well. A classic case of someone who has never done anything making light of another person's accomplishment.

As I've gotten older I don't take any of that type of garbage anymore. Any snide comment are quickly met with a "try it sometime and then tell me how my finish doesn't meet your standards."

Craig

Craig- GREAT POINT. I finished the 1/2 & found myself saying that to family members the next day after seeing Mickey Medals everywhere. My husband quickly corrected me & said I should be proud of myself "Stop saying you ONLY did the 1/2, that's 13 miles more than I ever ran @ a clip!"

I think I'll take your advice when it comes to those people who have less than complimentary comments. BTW, congrats on finishing the GOOFY! Holy cow!

Jodi

Calcio said:

Craig

Craig - Thank you so much for posting this. It isn't running related but a an aunt of mine takes every opportunity to down grade my college graduation and current quest for an MBA due to it being completed online (through a traditional state university). A favorite comment of hers is, "that must be the difference between someone who goes to school and somone who does it online." The last time this lovely comment was made it was during a Christmas get together. I've tried to brush it off but it truly does hurt as my family has sacrified so much to help me get this far.

I'm going to remember that what she says is "garbage" and remember your quote. You have literaly made my day ::yes::

Jodi

Yes, it was a mob with all those people squeezed into the very narrow corrals. For the full we had all three lanes wide, and 2 different start areas, so it went out very quickly and easily. Really good work getting in under 2:15. That was nice work.

Minnie

Okay, another raw nerve. Never apologize. My College has a large and highly regarded night MBA program for working professionals. On the first night I always tell them I have an MBA from the University of Texas, done full time, and I started when I was 23, newly married, with no children. Compared to what they are facing, juggling a career, spouse, and likely small children, mine was simple. I honestly don't know how anyone can manage school, work, and family and do justice to each. Making it to the end of that marathon is an amazing accomplishment.

Most of the selective MBA programs are going in the direction you have chosen, some type of blended MBA with both on-site study and on-line study. Believe me, our blended and on-line programs contain the same topics and rigor as our traditional full time MBA. They're just designed to be more flexible so adults who are unable to quit work for 2 years can get the degree. I have to ask, which University are you studying with?

Craig

Jodi said:
Hi all -

What a great time I had, although I do have issues with the crowdedness of the whole affair. I finished in 2hrs 14 mins & some seconds. I felt pretty good afterwards, too. Thanks to all who got me through on these boards.

Jodi

Jodi -
I agree about the crowdedness! I wasn't going to say anything since this was my first 1/2 and had nothing to base it on. I was in corral F and crossed the start line 16 minutes after the gun. I was doing a lot of zigging and zagging after the start for the first three miles to try to find a lane, but couldn't until mile 4 or 5. I still managed to finish in 1:55:12 (net) but seemed to expend a lot of energy positioning my self for the first few miles. This is not meant to be a knock on the course, just my observation as I'm a newbie to this type (magnitude) of race circuit. :drinking:

Calcio said:
Minnie

I have to ask, which University are you studying with?

Craig

The university I attend is Upper Iowa Univerity, Fayette Iowa. It's a wonderful university that has one of the best reputations for quality and excellence in our state. One of my proudest moments (other than the birth of my son) was crossing the state in Fayette with my family present to receive my BA.

I've been the night school road you spoke of for many, many years and finally completed my BA in Accounting through both night and online courses since I have worked full-time since I graduated high school.

I was accepted into UIU's online MBA program in January of this year and have just finished the first week of my 3rd MBA course. I can attest to the fact that the courses are the same whether "on ground" or "online". I enjoy the challenge but the time involved is intense!

I'm the Controller for a large company, have a wonderful 12 year old son, and somehow those words still hurt :sad1: I know better than to let anyone get me down, and now I have words that take the sting out. I believe the next time it occurs (and it will) my response will be "give it a try and then we'll talk :cool2: ). Once again thank you - truly a :wizard: moment!

PCFriar80 said:
Jodi -
I agree about the crowdedness! I wasn't going to say anything since this was my first 1/2 and had nothing to base it on. I was in corral F and crossed the start line 16 minutes after the gun. I was doing a lot of zigging and zagging after the start for the first three miles to try to find a lane, but couldn't until mile 4 or 5. I still managed to finish in 1:55:12 (net) but seemed to expend a lot of energy positioning my self for the first few miles. This is not meant to be a knock on the course, just my observation as I'm a newbie to this type (magnitude) of race circuit. :drinking:

Pc Friar- NICE TIME! I was in corral F as well, lots of dodging, huh? Perhaps we both were in the wrong corral. It was my first 1/2, too. But like you said, I found myself accelerating to get by someone, then decellerating (is that a word? I know i didn't spell it right) 2 seconds later. Oh well, it was fund though, wasn't it?

Jodi

Howard - You are THE MAN! Anyone who could go through what you faced in the week before the half marathon and still get into the corrals and finish in a good time has done something special. Congragulations.

Calcio - Thank you for the kind words. You are "THE MAN" in my book. I enjoyed the run despite the crowds, despite the cold, despite the stent and the pain. The unknown question of "Can I make it without stopping at a medical tent?" pushed me also. The Half was something "bigger" than the physical problems I had. I wanted to overcome the physical discomfort and pain with the sheer uphoria of accomplishing something I had trained for for many, many months - just like all of the W.I.S.H.ers here had done. (It worked :banana: ) It felt great to be attacking the miles with everyone and pushing hard to complete the course. I am sure that everyone that attempted or completed the Half, Full or Goofy will remember how it felt to try, to get to the starting line (come what may) and "GO FOR IT!"

I hope to get over my health concerns of today - the blasting took place this morning and I am doing well following the procedure - soon and get back to the gym to cross train. I want to get some miles in too. I am planning on running the Caesar Rodney Half-Marathon in March and the Delaware Marathon in May here in Wilmington, DE. Information is available at www.Races2Run.com if anyone would like to join me.

I am very proud of Cam for all her hard work and training prior to the race and for logging many a mile with me during our training. She and Rhonda were an awesome twosome during the race and finished with great times and two huge smiles. :teeth:

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that went the distance! It is great to have met many of you in Walt Disney World. I will be stopping in on the W.I.S.H. Boards more regularly from now on. (That's right, you're stuck with me.) :rotfl:

I know what you guys mean. I had several people when they found out I mostly walked "oh-you walked it" as in- that explains it, no big deal then. But ask them how far they walked that morning & if they had to do it outrunning a big sweeper bus & dodging 15,000 of their friends.

There is no ONLY!!!!!!! WE DID IT!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter