Halloween costumes - WDW vs. Disney Store?

Ithastobe

Mouseketeer
Question; Family is travelling to WDW on 10/19. Have tickets for MNSSHP and know kids will want to dress up. Is it a good idea to get costumes here and bring them, or wait until WDW.

My girls are 4 and 3. One now says she wants to be a witch, but I know once at WDW she'll want to be Minnie or Princess. I'm thinking on just buying a costume at WDW for there, and they can wear them here for Halloween.

Are prices at WDW same as Disney Store? Any feedback is appreciated.

The costumes are a bit different between the two, but they cost less at the Disney Store than at WDW at least $20 less the last time I checked. The Disney Store in my area is also running some great promotions with a purchase.

I am so glad that my "little" girl isn't so litle anymore! Just got the Disney Store Catalog yesterday and the costumes...for kids mind you...were $78!!! Too much $$$ for me.

I planned on waiting to buy my DS (4 months old) his costume until we got to the parks because it will take up so much room. Coming home I will have an extra bag.
Are the costumes really priced considerably higher than at TDS?
I planned on using my AP or AMEx discount at DD, is this a bad idea?
I wanted the Pooh, Mickey, Tigger, Thumper or Dumbo costume(I think they were around $30.00 at TDS).
Please let me know if these exist on WDW property.:confused:

jadyson, too bad I didn't connect with you, I took up a Disney Store Pooh and Tigger costume to our consignment shope, and they only gave me $4.50 a piece (9.00 measly bucks!). I bought the Tigger costume at Disney and the Pooh one from the disney store originally and they were worn by one child a piece for like 4 hours total!!

I ended up buying a Cinderella and Snow White costume from the Disney store. Each costume was $34.00. They gave us two fold up pumpkin sacks for trick or treat (love that these fold up) these had price tag of $10.00. Also gave us one pooh flashlight, and one princess flashlight (tag said $16.00).

We have tickets to the Not so Scarey Halloween party and I was afraid that some how they'd not have our size or someting, so went ahead and bought them.

I did notice that there is a least a $20 difference! We are getting our daughters costume at TDS - thank goodness I waited to check the prices!

Examples: Sleeping Beauty Disneyland $55 TDS $34
Minnie Mouse shoes - Disnylnd $24 TDS $12.50

Plus at TDS they give you free things when you buy the costumes -

Well, I thought that the purchases I made at TDS was pretty good. I haven't seen the prices or available sizes at WDW but I was very happy at TDS. My Daughter wanted to be The Little Mermaid. I was already armed with a $10 gift card from pre ordering Monsters inc. and an additional $10 coupon just for any halloween purchases from Sept 17 - 24 which I also received when I ordered the movie. With a $40 or more total purchase (I think if was $40) you also got for free: a collapsable soft pumpkin with different characters on the outside that holds the candy and a choice of a Princess, Buzz Lightyear or Mickey (once again I'm not sure about the last one) flashlight that looks like a torch with the batteries included!

Now I don't know what the lady did who rang me up but after the gift card, coupon and then I hit her with my Disney Club card, my total after discounts was $30.30! The costume alone was $34.50! She had to ring up the freebies and then deduct them. Each free item rang up for $10.

I don't know if anyone else took advantage of this but I was pleasantly surprised and very happy and so was my daughter.

Happy shopping!

Sorry folks forgot to mention a very important item. That $30.30 total I spoke of also included a Mermaid crown ($8.50) and some kind of scepter or wand ($10.50). So now if you were scratching your head as to my great purchase, I think now it is a bit clearer.

Sorry about that!

Jadyson - the Disney store by me was running a promotion on infant costumes for $5 off the purchase this weekend....not sure for how long....if you were purchasing a childs costume and spend $40 on halloween merchandise you get a free candy tote ($10 value) and a free flashlight (also $10 value) in the choice of Princess, Buzz or Pooh. Also, they stated if you spend $50 including prepurchasing Beauty & the Beast which is being re-released on Oct. 8th you would recieve a $10 gift card and free lithographs. :) I've learned the hard way...purchase soon Disney sells out of sizes early, they start selling Halloween costumes in July.

I would get a costume at TDS. I just came back from WDW, and although the costumes were stunning ( I thought they were a little nicer at the park except for Minnie, she's nicer at TDS) I didn't look at the prices. However, selection was limited. I really only saw princesses and minnie for girls and I can't remember for boys, but I think there was at least a peter pan. Anyway, I suggest getting your costume at TDS because they might not have anything left by the time you get to WDW. I really didn't see costumes for sale in very many places and I know when I went down 2 years ago just before Halloween, I don't remember seeing very many costumes at all. Also, there is a promo this week at TDS where you can get a free accessory with every costume purchased.

I took everyone's advice and ventured to TDS tonight. We bought the Mickey costume (size 6-12 month) and it is a little big on our baby, does anyone know if these costumes shrink when washed in hot water?
BTW, we got the $5.00 off as Cinderella_Belle mentioned (thanks for the info), our DC discount and a free Pooh flashlight.
Thanks for everyone's input!!

Don't forget to let me know about the shrink possibility!!;)

Jadyson --- glad to hear you got the costume!!! Don't shrink it too much remember it could be a cooler evening and you might want to layer some warmer clothes under the costume and he needs to be a to move and not look like a robot. lol Plus with him being in the stroller it can be a little big and not be a problem, since there's elastic on the sleeves and legs. Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter