Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
This popped up after scanning in for oogie boogie bash. I thought special event tickets can’t be used towards pass down payments? If they are now, if you are interested in getting a pass, this could be a new option for down payments
In the past we have been able to use them to upgrade to APs.

I've been trying to keep up with this thread and make sense of everything, but I'm still confused about some things and hope someone can help.

The characters like Shan Yu, Big Bad Wolf, General Ratcliffe, etc. are they the ones located at the Villain's Grove? The ones on the platforms that you can't take up close photos with? Or are they somewhere else? If so, who is in the Grove? (this is the part that's confusing me the most...is this a treat trail, or just for photos? Does it take a long time to get through or require lining up far in advance? Should this be the priority to see rare characters?)

If I understand right, the Haunted Mansion characters are where Jack and Sally usually meet in Disneyland, right? So you don't need to go to the party to see them?

Have the Kingdom Hearts characters been confirmed? Do they have a set location or do they wander?

Thanks everyone :) I didn't realize all my questions were about characters! Sorry if this is redundant, like I said, I've been reading the thread but I feel like I'm still out of the loop and missing info!

I've been trying to keep up with this thread and make sense of everything, but I'm still confused about some things and hope someone can help.

The characters like Shan Yu, Big Bad Wolf, General Ratcliffe, etc. are they the ones located at the Villain's Grove? The ones on the platforms that you can't take up close photos with? Or are they somewhere else? If so, who is in the Grove? (this is the part that's confusing me the most...is this a treat trail, or just for photos? Does it take a long time to get through or require lining up far in advance? Should this be the priority to see rare characters?)

If I understand right, the Haunted Mansion characters are where Jack and Sally usually meet in Disneyland, right? So you don't need to go to the party to see them?

Have the Kingdom Hearts characters been confirmed? Do they have a set location or do they wander?

Thanks everyone :) I didn't realize all my questions were about characters! Sorry if this is redundant, like I said, I've been reading the thread but I feel like I'm still out of the loop and missing info!
Villains grove doesn’t have any characters.

Kingdom hearts meets by grizzly falls and it’s a set area with a kingdom hearts background.

I'm going this Sunday and have a few questions.

1. Frightfully Fun Parade: How long is it and does it start at the Hollywood Backlot? How long does it take to reach the end of the route?
2. Getting a good spot for Villainous: would it be a good idea to try to watch the end of the parade right around where Villainous will be?
3. How do you know which Trick or Treat spots are immersive, ahead of time?

1. Frightfully Fun Parade: How long is it and does it start at the Hollywood Backlot? How long does it take to reach the end of the route?
2. Getting a good spot for Villainous: would it be a good idea to try to watch the end of the parade right around where Villainous will be?
1. It starts at the pier area. It takes about 20 minutes to reach the Hollywood area.
2. I got a good spot like 10 minutes before the 9pm show Sunday. There is plenty of space.
3. The immersive trails with the characters are the 3 trails in Hollywood land and the 2 in the grizzly area.

Interesting. I'm used to WOC being absolutely packed about 30 minutes before the show which is why I always do the dessert party.
See the quote below -- that is an example of what other posters have also been reporting.

1. It starts at the pier area. It takes about 20 minutes to reach the Hollywood area.
2. I got a good spot like 10 minutes before the 9pm show Sunday. There is plenty of space.
3. The immersive trails with the characters are the 3 trails in Hollywood land and the 2 in the grizzly area.

Some questions about characters at the party :
  • Can anyone who went to the party on Sunday, Sep. 22 or is going tonight, Tuesday, Sep. 24, confirm if kinks from earlier parties have been worked out yet (i.e. characters coming out well after 6pm)?
  • Did you see any lines forming before 6pm?
  • Did any lines close or were cut-off before 11pm?
  • Which character lines were over 15-30 minutes? (I’ve heard Kingdom Hearts averages 2 hours and the villains average 1 hour. Have you found this to be accurate?)
From Sunday

Characters came out around 6, yes, it appears certain characters aren’t at every party however (Kim was missing tonight for example, but Ron wasn’t)

The lines definitely started early, kingdom hearts had a ridiculously long queue at opening,

Mickey and Minnie was a consistently long line, however whilst Kingdom Hearts and Villains had their moments, they both had quiet moments too, I waited under 15 minutes for Donald around 9:30, so it is doable!

Disney channel (especially Kim and Ron), Talespin & incredibles seemed to be the quietest queues.

I just finished my night at oogie boogie bash, so here's what happened for us.

1. Start to finish, it's maybe 20 minutes including the headless horseman. The route starts in paradise gardens, near bayside brews and ends in Hollywood land near guardians of the galaxy. We went thru the treat trail in the bakery tour, then walked to the parade route and crossed the street near Mendocino terrace where there was a wide open spot, it was about 20 minutes before the parade
2. That would be the beginning of the parade, and that's more or less what we did. We watched the 9pm showing, got there about 10 minutes before the show (we were slow pokes getting there from the parade). We needed accessible seating, and had no problems getting a seat. The areas closer looked like there was a lot of space still.
3. You had to ask. Or look it up online. Dr facillia was in stage 17, oogie boogie in the animation academy, mad hatter in the Hyperion line, evil queen was in the path near grizzly river run, and maleficent was between the plane and soarin. Side note, maleficent's line ran out of candy before the end of the night. I got there at about 10:50pm, and the candy was gone and so was maleficent (yet they didn't tell me if was basically closed, so I went to each station and her stage with each spot saying no candy and nobody was even at here stage. Our favorites was oogie boogie (excellent theming) and Dr facillia because he played off of the crowd the best

Last edited:
I think I'm hopelessly confused, lol.
There are no villains in Villains Grove? So it's just a walk through? But did I read correctly that a long line still forms for it?
We aren't interested in characters: DS6 gets creeped out and I'm not into it either. But he wants to trick or treat. Are the only treat stations attached to character lines? Lines are difficult for him with his ASD, so I want to prep him in advance if TrTing will involve long waits.
In Carsland do they still do the same lighting of the neon at sunset or is it different for the party?
Thank you!

There are no villains in Villains Grove? So it's just a walk through? But did I read correctly that a long line still forms for it?
Yes, it is supposed to be a creepy walk through without characters. I didn't do it because the line was at least an hour long during the entire party last night. While I would have liked to see it, I didn't think it would be worth the wait in line.
In Carsland do they still do the same lighting of the neon at sunset or is it different for the party?
They did do the lighting, but it was a Halloween party song. I cannot remember which song. It actually wasn't super noticeable because it wasn't getting dark enough, yet when they did it. I happened to be there waiting to get a picture with Mater when they did it. I don't think I'd go out of my way to see it.

Trick or treat trails were awesome. They were a million times better than Disneyland parties. We spent time enjoying the characters, which were all interactive with anyone who chose to stay there and enjoy them for a while. I now have plenty of treats to give out for Halloween this year and will likely still have a lot of extras.

The parade was the same short parade. After seeing it 3 times now, I don't feel a need to watch it again in the future. I remember the first time I saw it a couple years ago, it was amazing. The "wow" factor gets lost after a few times, but the headless horseman was still totally amazing. We did get an excellent viewing spot about 15 minutes before the parade.

We tried to view a little of the WOC color show, but we walked up late and it looked really boring. I am glad I didn't spring for a dessert party for that.

I enjoyed it being in DCA for a change and none of the lines seemed for trick or treating. They had those moving very well and they gave out a lot of treats. I am not one for waiting to see characters, so I just saw them as I walked by with the exception of those in the treat trails, which we conversed with for a while. There were a couple characters that I had no idea who they were by Soarin. There was a bear with a sailor type hat and the disheveled looking fox(?). Would love to know what those were from.

Looking ahead to next year, hmmm, maybe will go to party, but it wouldn't be a loss of any kind if I don't. What would have been nice would be to stay at the Grand. Between my sciatica and fibromyalgia, I was really tired and wanting to sit down at the end of the night and that 90+ minute drive home was a bit of a beast. Alas, I had to get home and get some sleep because I have a final this morning. One of the downsides of having to buy tickets months in advance is we have no idea of what will be going on in life by the time the party date comes. This one was pretty bad timing for me, but it was fun and I enjoyed it being in DCA for a change.

There were a couple characters that I had no idea who they were by Soarin. There was a bear with a sailor type hat and the disheveled looking fox(?). Would love to know what those were from.
I didn't know who they were either, but I knew they were rare so I got a picture of them lol. The CM said they are from Tailspin. I never watched that show.

Yes, it is supposed to be a creepy walk through without characters. I didn't do it because the line was at least an hour long during the entire party last night. While I would have liked to see it, I didn't think it would be worth the wait in line.
They did do the lighting, but it was a Halloween party song. I cannot remember which song. It actually wasn't super noticeable because it wasn't getting dark enough, yet when they did it. I happened to be there waiting to get a picture with Mater when they did it. I don't think I'd go out of my way to see it.

Trick or treat trails were awesome. They were a million times better than Disneyland parties. We spent time enjoying the characters, which were all interactive with anyone who chose to stay there and enjoy them for a while. I now have plenty of treats to give out for Halloween this year and will likely still have a lot of extras.

The parade was the same short parade. After seeing it 3 times now, I don't feel a need to watch it again in the future. I remember the first time I saw it a couple years ago, it was amazing. The "wow" factor gets lost after a few times, but the headless horseman was still totally amazing. We did get an excellent viewing spot about 15 minutes before the parade.

We tried to view a little of the WOC color show, but we walked up late and it looked really boring. I am glad I didn't spring for a dessert party for that.

I enjoyed it being in DCA for a change and none of the lines seemed for trick or treating. They had those moving very well and they gave out a lot of treats. I am not one for waiting to see characters, so I just saw them as I walked by with the exception of those in the treat trails, which we conversed with for a while. There were a couple characters that I had no idea who they were by Soarin. There was a bear with a sailor type hat and the disheveled looking fox(?). Would love to know what those were from.

Looking ahead to next year, hmmm, maybe will go to party, but it wouldn't be a loss of any kind if I don't. What would have been nice would be to stay at the Grand. Between my sciatica and fibromyalgia, I was really tired and wanting to sit down at the end of the night and that 90+ minute drive home was a bit of a beast. Alas, I had to get home and get some sleep because I have a final this morning. One of the downsides of having to buy tickets months in advance is we have no idea of what will be going on in life by the time the party date comes. This one was pretty bad timing for me, but it was fun and I enjoyed it being in DCA for a change.
The cars land lights turn in for all of halloween time starts with the beginning of shaboom but it cuts out to play the screaming jay Hawkins version of I put the a spell on you. This is not exclusive to the party.

Overall, the party was very fun! I felt like it was spookier in DCA. This is my 3rd year going to the Halloween parties. I started going before I had a pass. In fact, when I went 2 years ago, the party convinced me that I should get a pass, and 6 months later I did. So these sort of have a special place in my heart. I almost didn’t get tickets this year since it moved to DCA and some of the offerings sounded weird. But I have no will power, and caved and bought tickets. :)

Highlights:

Rare characters- OMG! I loved seeing so many rare characters. The best part is that they had photopass with them so you got some good shots. I knew after reading some of the early reports that I would spend the majority of my time doing the characters. I saw: Snow White, Dopey, Pinocchio, Blue Fairy, Tailspin characters (don’t know their actual names), Shan Yu, Big Bad Wolf, Ron Stoppable (Kim wasn’t out). A tip for characters. Photopass CM’s come out a little bit before 6, and you can ask them who they are taking pictures of and what times. By doing this, I was able to be the 2nd person in line for Snow White and Dopey. When I left them, I went over to the Tailspin characters before they got too long. Then I came back over to Carthay Circle right before 7 and was able to do Pinocchio and Blue Fairy. So I got 6 characters early in the party.

Parade: I know this is the same parade that has been at Mickey’s Halloween party, but I never saw it. I found a spot diagonal from Little Mermaid about 20 minutes before 8, and saw everything. It was so cute! Loved watching the Headless horseman too! I like that it is short.

Immersive Treat Trails: These were fun. Sometimes the villains would heckle the guests (in a fun way lol). Everyone seemed to enjoy these the most. I did the immersive trails with Maleficent, Oogie Boogie, Dr. Facilier, Mad Hatter and Evil Queen.

Post 10 pm crowds: It seemed like once 10 pm hit, the crowds went way down. That is when I did the treat trails. There was no line, even for the immersive ones. The best part was that by this time the CM’s looked tired and were just dumping candy in your bag lol. I didn’t even bother using the little bags they give you. One bag got filled and the other is maybe a quarter of the way filled.

Ok Parts:

Villains Grove: It was cool, and the lights were pretty, but I wish it had a little more to it. I think it could have used some characters. Maybe like the immersive treat trails where the villains are up on a platform. I just know half way through I kept thinking, “when is this ending?? It’s so long”. Also, the line for it is ridiculous! I went right after world of color (I know, bad timing on my part) and waited about 30 minutes. But then you have to add another 15 or so to walk through it, so it was a 45 minute ordeal.

World Of Color: I went to the first show. Found a spot on the railing at the top. I showed up 15 minutes before it began. The story line was good and different, but it was a little boring. Some parts were upbeat, but I kind of got lost and was over it. I’m glad I went to the first show because I would’ve been too tired to stay for the last one.

Other tidbits:

• I got to the park around 1 pm. Parked in toy story. It was so dead. In the bus it was just me a mom and her toddler. We both looked at each other and were like “wow private ride”. Haha! If this is how weekdays are in the fall, I wish I could come more often!
  • AP magnet line was super short!
  • DCA was pretty crowded during the overlap period. Especially from 4-6. I scanned in my ticket at 3 pm, and they make you turn right and get your wristbands there.
  • Merchandise: I got my Oogie boogie sipper and ears at the store by Grizzly. I wasn’t interested in the spirit jerseys or other items so I’m not sure how the stock is for those. I didn’t go until maybe 8:30, so there was no line.
  • I didn’t do any rides, but from what I heard lines were short. Especially during the parade. One family told me they did RSR back to back during the parade time.
Going Solo- This was my first time going solo to a party. I go to DL often solo and meet up with my friends. So this was a little different. I do think it would have been fun to go with people, but I am glad that I went solo because I got to do what I wanted. My aunt would normally come with me, and she doesn't like doing entertainment offerings or characters. So not fun for me lol. I did so much and left around 10:30.

That's correct; there are no villains or candy at Villains Grove. It's a walk through with lighting, effects, and music to "evoke" the impression of various villains (Frollo, Queen of Hearts, Maleficent, Scar, Facilier, Evil Queen). It has a line because it's something new and because they only let guests in small groups (I think to help with spacing). Once inside, you're free to walk at your own pace. Note that at times the character might not be at the trail; we stopped by the Mad Hatter trail and he was not there (but they had candy). He came out just as we were leaving, so it seems like the characters might go on break at some point.

Are the only treat stations attached to character lines?
There are no treat stops associated with the classic character meet and greets. The immersive trails (5 of them) have candy and you'll get to see (and interact) with a villain, but they aren't traditional M&G. The candy lines weren't too bad when I was there (long early in the party, shorter as the party progresses). There are also candy only treat trails (Carsland, Paradise Garden, and BVS).

There are five immersive trails, but it's not really denoted on the map. Facilier is at Stage 17 (by Philharmagic), Oogie Boogie is in the Animation Academy, Mad Hatter is in the Hyperion Courtyard (near GotG), Maleficent is by Soarin', and the Evil Queen is behind GRR. All other treat trails are just standard treat trails (it's worth noting that the trail near Filmore's, actually starts on the Pacific Wharf side, by the baby care center).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter