Handicapped Worker

Not sure what the issue is. She has the tag and OP says she clearly had issues walking.

Now, I do understand questioning the tag. Last estimate I saw in California was that over half the disabled placards were being used by people with no disability.

I think it is disgusting to think a person, who has a tag and has a visible disability of difficulty walking, should not be parking in a handicap spot. Not a "friend" I would want. "He" really thought someone with a disability should park elsewhere?

I don't see a problem as long as she has a legitimate disability and has the permit.

Keep in mind that handicapped spaces are not only close to an entrance, but they are wider than regular spaces. Some people with limited mobility may need the additional room to maneuver while getting in and out of their car, which could be difficult with another car parked close to them. There are actually two types of handicapped spaces: regular handicapped accessible and van accessible. Both have an adjacent striped access lane, but the van accessible ones are extra wide to allow use of a wheelchair lift. So someone who is handicapped but doesn't use a van and wheelchair should leave those spaces for those who truly need them (if there is another regular handicapped spot they can use).

I think it's fine for the employee to use handicapped parking.

Also a good thing to keep in mind is that not all people with disabilities look disabled from the outside. When my father was dying of scleroderma he didn't "look" disabled from the outside but truly needed his handicapped placard. He was accosted several times by people who assumed he was using it fraudulently because he "didn't look disabled to them". :(

That isn't how it is here, or at least that is not how my dd's employer handles things. They tell the employees to park in the same lot, as close to eachother and to the entrance as possible so that they aren't leaving late when nobody is there and having to walk alone in the parking lot.

It doesn't matter what spot the woman took, she would be "taking" it from a customer regardless.
Granted this was at the mall but when I worked at JCP there was actually a white line in the parking lot where all employees HAD to park behind (although I'm positive those with handicap placards/plates were able to park in the handicap spots). However all employees had to park in the same lot (there were 2 other entrances to JCP besides the one where employees were required to park by). Security officers however were always stationed at the doors who would be able to keep an eye on the parking lot where the employees were walking to their cars.

Same mall but when I worked at Max Rave (bought by BCBG) we didn't have a line however for security sake you were required to walk with at least one other person out to the parking lot.

Spirit Halloween didn't care where you parked, the University's bookstore didn't care where you parked, DSW didn't care where you parked, office job didn't care where you parked, etc.

Each employer is likely to have the opportunity to be different. It is common enough (meaning it's not completely unheard of) for employers to request or even require their employees to park a certain distance away from the entrance in order to provide the closer spots to their customers. This of course will depend on the parking lots in general and the industry the employer is in.

I personally don't care at all whether a person parking in a handicap spot is a customer or employee. Appearantly if the handicap spot was far away from the entrance all would be fine and dandy? IDK I'm wondering what's the real issue the coworker in the OP has with the situation because it's hard to believe a reasonable person sees this as an issue.

I think if the employee has a disability parking permit, it's fine for them to use handicapped parking. I can't imagine them parking far away, in the back of the lot.

My big problem its really hard to get work as a disabled person. But instead of talking about that we talk about a frivolous silly issue that has no bearing on the OP. Society has not changed . We still have massive issues with disabled people and treating them as sub human. We get this daily or weekly. Its wrong and stupid. Make it stop.

Yes, this is true. There are many people with "invisible" disabilities. We should not be so quick to judge.

True, however handicap parking laws generally aren't affected by invisible disabilities. The entire purpose of HP is to get the eligible person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

True, however handicap parking laws generally aren't affected by invisible disabilities. The entire purpose of HP is to get the eligible person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible.

I'm confused?? A hidden disability handicap eligible person involves something like a heart or respiratory problem that prevents them walking far without stopping. It's not immediately obvious that they have a mobility issue because you can't see their heart/lungs like you could see a limb issue. Invisible disabilities are at least half of all placard issued.

A heart condition is a pretty "invisible" condition. Epilepsy as well. There are many conditions people may have that are not apparent at a glance.

I have to admit I wondered when I saw a guy in dirty construction clothing, in a roofing company truck, park in a disabled spot with a placard. How could someone do be able to do that kind of physical work and still qualify for a placard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter