Happy Anni-birth-aversary...A 33 night Celebration & HHN too.....SF & RPR September 2022 TR

I am so glad your birthday celebration was a joy! All those wonderful surprises, and everyone wanting to celebrate you! 🥰🥰🥰

Sorry about the poor food experiences. It is rough when you have a reasonable expectation for a meal and instead you end up overly hungry. Moving on to tea and snacks was a good choice.

Also, that beef dish looked delicious! It’s nice when you are pleasantly surprised and feel like you’ve eaten plenty. And of course the cocktails are essential to that feeling 🍹

What a shame the weather wasn’t fully cooperating for HHN. I am glad you were able to meet up and have some fun, though! 🎃

I agree it’s just pointless to compare UOR and WDW. They are 2 different experiences and I’d you dislike one so much you frankly shouldn’t spend your money to go there.

So here’s a conundrum — which do you prefer, US or IOA?

Thanks Maria, we loved every part of it!!

I`m the ultimate hangry person.......lol.....but I was just past it and yes, was glad of a pack of shortbread and some tea. Yes, that beef dish was delicious, I can`t remember if it was on where you were there, but one of the best dishes they`ve done for a long time.

The rain did impact a couple of HHN but yes, unless it was torrential, we would just go. We all felt great sympathy for folks that only had one or two night tickets when the weather was like that.

I think some folks are only visiting for Potter being honest. It`s always nice to read folks that are pleasantly surprised by the other stuff Universal has to offer compared to just broadly dismissing everything and their TM`s too. When someone complains about the TM on rides, I do wonder if maybe it was them that had the problem and not the TM.....I`m sure they don`t go out of their way to give folks a bad experience, quite the opposite in our experience.

Favourite??? Right now I`d say IOA as there are more things there we enjoy than in the Studios. But, there are things in Studios we won`t miss out doing.......also there are some beautiful areas in the Studios we love wandering through......

I`m torn.......lol....

What about you, got a favourite park.....we might have chatted about that before of course......:)

I prefer US but there are some shows and rides at
IOA that I have to do each trip

I think that`s the thing about Universal, both parks have their highlights.....but the good thing is they`re both so easy to access from each other, park hopping is so easy whether it be by the HE or just walking.

Ideal isn`t it....... :thumbsup2

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 16TH

We were up extra early this morning, and we got to the lounge to see Alex again......that young lady works too hard!!! But, always lovely to see her of course.

Bless her she hands me a glass of fizz before I even asked her for one, she knows me so well.....although they all do by now I think.....lol.....

I make some tea and get Tom a coffee, look to make some toast and there`s no white bread this morning, so I have some little pastries, meat and watermelon, tea too, but primarily fizz.......well, it is a celebration month!!

i-NFxRxhM-X2.jpg

We left and got the boat as we were going to the Studios today and it was very pleasant weather wise, that rain seemed to have cooled the heat down just enough you didn`t really feel that oppressive humidity that had been lingering, so it really was lovely walking in the sunshine today.

Having a quick wander in the store I pledge to have one of these graveyard cupcakes before we leave.

i-ccj7BJv-X2.jpg

We went straight to Minions this morning.....this is what an Express Line should look like.....not the 45 minutes it was a few days ago where the line was merged into the regular line, big no no for us there.

i-RHDXQ9k-X2.jpg

This is a cute little ride.....not as good since they removed the 3D.....now this one makes me a little off if I do it more than once, which it never used to do, still not as bad as The Simpsons though!! If the line is short, we`ll always do this one.

i-LTfz8Dk-X2.jpg

I do love the way USO recognises their recent and past history in so many ways, and one of the more recent nods on the window displays is to Phil Randall who was the Project Architect for 7 years and was massively responsible for so much that we see in both The Studios and IOA.

i-kHXqSXV-X2.jpg

i-JqSVhpm-X2.jpg

We snapped some pics and as we turned where The Mummy is, they were just preparing to open it up, and although there was no EP line available, we hopped on in to the line and hoped it wasn`t too long.

i-VZCk49C-X2.jpg

The line showed 45 minutes, but we were on in just under 30 minutes and it was worth the wait again. Nothing new or spectacular on the updated ride but it was good and the jerky bits didn`t seem so jerky again today, the front row is our favourite but you get a little bit more airtime in the back row.

They have updated the store a little through the refurb, the odd display here and there has changed, but merch is mostly the same.

i-tLPDDJd-X2.jpg

i-67rwhs7-X2.jpg

As the line was now massive for Mummy, we retrieved our bags from the locker and we wandered a little more. The Blues Brothers weren`t too far away from starting and we quite like to watch that every now and again, it`s an entertaining show and well worth watching if you`re passing.

i-Xgbr8Dd-X2.jpg

i-PFpdzXJ-X2.jpg

The last 5-6 years has seen a wonderful change in the vibe at US....there are many more characters roaming around or singer/dancers groups that performed in certain areas at certain times of the day and they were all very good. Whereas before that opportunistic entertainment was very rarely seen here apart from The Blues Brothers and there used to be bands play in front of Mel`s Dine In, but that was years ago now.

This guy was fun though and really knew how to play up to a camera....

i-cb5TdMP-X2.jpg

i-NVcZQg4-X2.jpg

They are good and the audience usually get very involved as they sing and dance along which is a lot of fun....sometimes you just have to dance.

I will say though, the car......holy moly does it stink!!!

i-vjdH9f3-X2.jpg

The Statue in front of Louie`s Pizza is of Lew Wasserman who was an Agent and Studio Boss who basically built these parks and they have given him a little plaque too. It`s funny I never noticed they can remove this statue for the large floats they have at Mardi Gras and the Christmas Parade. We`ve been twice for MG and four times for Christmas and I never noticed.

i-bWg8rQ2-X2.jpg

The Conjure the Dark scare zone doesn`t look nearly as impressive during the day and only the non scary/bloody props are left out daytime, shame the other ones are the best!

i-vvtF6nf-X2.jpg

i-rDQx6mZ-X2.jpg

i-cSF5Gm9-X2.jpg

i-J7wrTSP-X2.jpg

The Hogwarts Express had been down for a while and folks had been told it would be a while till it was back running, they weren`t publicly sharing the projected opening date so folks were just speculating if they said when it was supposed to open.

I think everyone felt for the TM who had to stand every day and let folks know if they hadn`t heard (and there were many) that it wasn`t running and who knew when it would. They did get some grief from folks who think it`s ok to give the messenger grief.

i-RRQ7wLC-X2.jpg

Weasleys` Wizard Wheezes is a fine store in DA and is an incredibly bright and colourful store!!!

i-KfChvtk-X2.jpg

i-Xdb7dnD-X2.jpg

And as in all good stores they have a nice little baked good and treat counter. Although we never bought anything from here it all looked so nice.

i-tck9kkp-X2.jpg

i-QtmKRkk-X2.jpg

i-M65Sg8c-X2.jpg

More to follow......

Hence, I only do it once maybe twice a day, any more and I`d regret it.
I avoid it, same experience. Well, unless with others who have it on their must-do list.

so much fervor over WDW Guardians ride, the spots u mention here are far worse for me.
Kong had a very short line for EP today
I cringe when heading thru the EP ride if I can see guests stopped before that last turn in the queue. Not sure if it’s increased standby guests or not causing the line to generally double when we have been there over the five years Or so.:confused3
the thickest and most overcooked hardest batter
Oh dear, that looks as tho it was precooked and dunked back in an oil bath to reheat. Ew. No offense to MCO, top-notch fried fish is difficult to find.
she did apologise, but I think she was used to doing that.
She was likely numb from repeated issues. Meanwhile, some look so stricken when you don’t clean your plate, you’d think you insulted their mothers ;)

I avoid it, same experience. Well, unless with others who have it on their must-do list.

so much fervor over WDW Guardians ride, the spots u mention here are far worse for me.

I cringe when heading thru the EP ride if I can see guests stopped before that last turn in the queue. Not sure if it’s increased standby guests or not causing the line to generally double when we have been there over the five years Or so.:confused3

Oh dear, that looks as tho it was precooked and dunked back in an oil bath to reheat. Ew. No offense to MCO, top-notch fried fish is difficult to find.

She was likely numb from repeated issues. Meanwhile, some look so stricken when you don’t clean your plate, you’d think you insulted their mothers ;)

Yes, we haven`t ever had a decent batter anywhere in Orlando, so we don`t bother now....much prefer blackened or grilled anyway. It did look like a reheat now you mention it. I do think she was so used to apologising it was an automatic response...it does get good reviews though, but we`re done now.

Have never ridden that ride but have heard a few folks don`t like it, but all said FJ was worse and it seems to be the same parts that bother me too.

We did walk back out of the Kong EP line a couple of times......holy moly, it`s not that good a ride!

Isn’t EP the best?! I don’t want to go without it, I have become thoroughly spoiled ☺️

While I technically ride more at US, I think I would pick IOA. I just love the vibe, and all the fantasy 🦖🦕🐉

I do feel bad for poor TM who have to let people know rides are down. Unfortunately some people seem to think the TM is personally responsible 😳

I had no idea that statue is removable! You always educate me 🥰

You are so right to keep celebrating all month! 🍾 Vacation is a wonderful time to indulge 🥂

I’m wondering if you tend to not pick up the treats because you know they won’t taste like they would at home? I have a feeling they are not as good as the real thing 🫖

Oh my, such beautiful pictures you have shared with us!

Thanks mac......I don`t take credit for most of them.....Tom is fabulous at pictures, sometimes with my eye pointing some things out of course......::yes::

I`m banned from taking food pics though.....unless I put my glasses on as the food ones I took are blurry for some reason...... :rolleyes1

Isn’t EP the best?! I don’t want to go without it, I have become thoroughly spoiled ☺️

While I technically ride more at US, I think I would pick IOA. I just love the vibe, and all the fantasy 🦖🦕🐉

I do feel bad for poor TM who have to let people know rides are down. Unfortunately some people seem to think the TM is personally responsible 😳

I had no idea that statue is removable! You always educate me 🥰

You are so right to keep celebrating all month! 🍾 Vacation is a wonderful time to indulge 🥂

I’m wondering if you tend to not pick up the treats because you know they won’t taste like they would at home? I have a feeling they are not as good as the real thing 🫖

I agree Maria, even on so called quiet days we wouldn`t be without it, yes, it does spoil us a little, but why not! Yes, I do think IOA has a great vibe.....Studios has improved last few years with all the live street action, but right now that whole first section has nothing for us except Minions, so it feels a little obsolete for us right now, but I know it`ll be back....and if they change Jimmy Fallon for something.....that would be perfect!

Some folks do treat TM so bad, I do still think it`s the minority, but no one should be shouting at them or giving them grief.

Oh we celebrated a little too much.......lol.....clothes did get a little tight by the end of 5 weeks...... :rolleyes1

I think we don`t snack much as I don`t have a sweet tooth generally and most of the treats are a little too sweet. And yes, mass produced is not what I`d generally choose but I did wish I had got the Cheesecake on a stick from The Today Cafe....it did look rather enticing!

I did like this statue!

Spooky and a little sinister.

i-S6xfKJT-X2.jpg

We headed into Gringotts and the EP line was short, probably the shortest I`d seen it for a long time, I don`t think we stopped until the line merged and we went into the elevator part.

Again, we marvelled at the TM sorting people into lines waste her time as some folks just went to the row they wanted to......they have a lot of patience I`ll say that! We were sent to the front row which we hadn`t been on for a while, I do think I prefer the front on this ride. We did enjoy this one, it`s not our favourite ride, but will always ride it unless the EP line was horrendous.

I love this steaming kettle too......

i-Dz5PSGG-X2.jpg

i-PfRVzFb-X2.jpg

i-9HXVf2h-X2.jpg

While we don`t generally stand and watch for the dragon to blow fire, we did catch this today as his camera was facing the same way. I do like seeing folks enthralled with the dragon, kids and adults alike stand gazing at it waiting for the fiery breath to expel into the air. The kids faces especially are quite delightful to see as they light up.

i-5sqwvc9-X2.jpg

i-CShqcR5-X2.jpg

Wandering into Diagon Alley is both cool and refreshing, although it does take a time for my eyes to adjust to the almost pitch black, but they do eventually.

There are some cool little hidden gems in here too, so dark desolate looking alleyways and turns which could lead to somewhere even darker than Diagon Alley.....love it all!!!

Everytime we wander through either of the Potter areas we constantly admire the genius that is JK Rowling. What she has created is out of this world and certainly one of the best creations of my lifetime. The woman is incredible and her talent has no bounds.

i-h86CHG2-X2.jpg

i-ntfvz5t-X2.jpg

We headed towards the front of the park but not before stopping off at some of our favourite spots....and one of Tom`s favourite movies is BttF, so the car and the train are essential pics for Tom.

Doc Brown was lurking in the bushes today and I have to say it was a little odd at first......not the best Doc Brown I`ve ever seen but he was ok.

i-nmggdPs-X2.jpg

i-952kBVN-X2.jpg

We ddin`t spend a lot of time chatting to this character today, and headed round to ET which was as charming as it always is and I couldn`t imagine visiting this park and not doing it as old as it is and maybe does need a little update, but I kinda hope they leave it as it is, it`s a classic.

This scare zone was deserted today, I think everybody else had swarmed into Diagon Alley because as we left there seemed to be a huge influx of folks bustling in.

i-cqSKVk3-X2.jpg

i-GZ8tKRG-X2.jpg

i-KxcxmJK-X2.jpg

It really was as quiet here as it looks, so it was nice to get some pictures while it was so deserted.

And we just missed the whole Scooby gang as we headed out today......we`re not big on character pictures generally, but if they`re close and we`re passing we will stop for a snap or two. It took a long time for us to get the whole gang together, but we did back in 2015 I think, and when it is the whole gang together they are hilarious.

i-T3b6bT7-X2.jpg

We did look into The Today Cafe as an option for lunch even though it was fairly early, but nothing much took our eye....well, nothing much took my eye as Tom is a sandwich fiend and would have happily eaten a couple of them given the chance.

Although that strawberry cheesecake on a stick looked out of this world!!

i-X9W83MB-X2.jpg

i-9VR7VsX-X2.jpg

We walked back home today as it was so lovely, that humidity seemed a lot less than usual today and the walk was really nice as we didn`t feel as if we were walking on the sun as we sometimes do.

Showered and changed we headed out to lunch with the car, we thought we`d eat at Beth`s Burgers down Universal Boulevard, as we hadn`t been there for a while, but when we got down there we saw a place close to it that had been consistently recommended to us for a while, The Diner.

1667914851785.png

Famous for it`s mahoosive breakfasts, they were also open for lunch and there were a few things that had tempted me on the menu when I had previously looked, so as Tom wanted to give it a try we headed in.

It is a lovely place and one of the cleanest places I`ve ever walked into......staff were friendly and I knew we`d like it straight away.

We were shown to our table and handed menu`s, ordered two pepsi`s and had a mooch through this rather large menu, although I could discount all the breakfast dishes as they`re not my favourite type of food, Tom however had a decision as he loves breakfast food.

I didn`t have the bottomless mimosa`s......honest, I didn`t!!

i-CT2bLgd-X2.jpg

i-xnKTtGx-X2.jpg

He eventually opted for their Reuben Sandwich with fries as his lunch, I knew he`d love it.

i-RZqD7WK-X2.jpg

i-WSDptNG-X2.jpg

And.....eventually....I went for the chicken and biscuits which would have easily fed four people and leftovers!!! Holy moly.....what a portion.

I have to say, they were delicious, chicken was tender and juicy, biscuits were soft and tasty and the gravy was peppery but not completely overwhelmed by it. But just far too much for me, I barely finished half and that was pushing it. Tom loved his sandwich and the fries were really good too.

i-QBCWH4v-X2.jpg

I kind of waddled out, I couldn`t resist picking at it before they took the plates away......guilty!!! Tom helped a little but he isn`t the biggest biscuits and gravy fan and he was quite full from his sandwich.

We spent an hour chatting to a friend of ours and had some tea with them, then headed up to our room to chat to Kyle who we had arranged to chat to late this afternoon. He was doing great and chatted about the half marathons and 10K`s he had planned to run while we were away. Then we went to the lounge to see if Matt and Rob were around.

They weren`t but did appear later after having a lovely day. It was always nice to hear what they had got up to during the day.

We tonight sat with Carine and Christopher, the Danish couple we had been chatting to last few days. They come to Orlando a few times a year too and they were very nice company so it was a pleasant time in the lounge as they were good company and we had a lot to chat about with them.

The weather sucked again tonight, it wasn`t as bad as it had been, but we weren`t feeling like dredging through the rain tonight so we decided if we were hungry we`d eat in Islands tonight and give it another try after the disaster meal we`d had in May. Hmm.

We eventually felt a little peckish and said goodnight to Carine and Chris and headed down to Islands which was very quiet, this place used to be mobbed almost every evening many years ago so this was quite sad to see it so empty. At least getting a table was no problem.

I ordered a cocktail that was a Halloween special, made in Jake`s of course, I can`t remember the name but thought I`d give it a try. Tom had a beer....wise choice.

This had to be the most tastless cocktail ever......all I could taste was ice. So, I waited for our waiter and asked him if he could take it away and bring me a glass of Cabernet when he had a chance, he was quite surprised I didn`t like it but I told him it sounded nice, but really wasn`t.

i-qwNrV94-X2.jpg

We opted to share the Chicken Lettuce Wraps which included, iceberg lettuce,rice noodles, peppers, peanuts, Thai sweet chili sauce and a soy dipping sauce. This looked lovely when it arrived.......

i-Jn7NLpB-X2.jpg

We tucked in and at first it was very nice......until.....I got a piece of plastic, or what felt like plastic as it prodded me in the gum.....then Tom said......ouch, he had a piece of this hard plastic too. We immediately called our waiter over and told him the issue, he took it away saying they`d make us a new one, we declined saying we`d rather just have our entrees please.

i-2pzs4jx-Th.gif

I was now wishing we had went somewhere else.

He came back saying the chef said it was uncooked noodles we`d had on our plate, that made sense but they were very undercooked as it hurt when we bit into them.

Our entrees took a little while and I had a throwback to the last time we waited a while for food.......and enjoyed my glass of red.

I had ordered General Tso`s Chicken and asked for it extra spicy as it is not a spicy dish.....Tom ordered the Singapore Street Noodles which had shrimp, some kind of sausage, peppers, onions, carrots, bean sprouts, snow peas which he loves, rice noodles and a very light curry sauce.

Don`t those dishes look gorgeous!!!!

i-SR7rwWR-X2.jpg

i-QpLRHcj-S.gif

i-GNWkn9R-X2.jpg

My dish looks particularly lovely, but the batter was incredibly hard, there was barely any sauce so it was dry and worst of all....it was cool.

Tom`s dish was cold and the noodles were congealed to each other. Not freezing cold, but certainly not a hot dish. And if our food is hot, we like it to be sizzling hot, this was poor.

I was annoyed for two reasons.....first we were so looking forward to this, and second we were fed up sending food back because it was cold.

Sharamar was the manager tonight, we had known her quite a while and she knew we weren`t folks who like to complain for fun...I think they see enough of those, so she was annoyed we`d had such a poor experience tonight.

She did ask if there was anything she could get for us, but we said no thank you, she had been very understanding about it and it wasn`t her fault.

We really were disappointed as that was our second time in Islands and our second disappointment and this place was always one of our favourite places to eat. I had no idea what happened tonight, but it wasn`t the Islands we once knew.

We headed into Tuk Tuk and bought a sandwich and a chicken caesar salad to share between us and ran down to the lounge just before it closed to make two teas and grab a couple of cans of coke, and that ended up being our dinner that night.

i-CrN8NTs-X2.jpg

i-mz4JXgP-X2.jpg

They were both very nice and we enjoyed them. We had never purchased food from here before this trip and we liked it. They do have a good selection of items and Tom would like to try their little goodies at some point.....

i-vLshgRc-X2.jpg

i-hcb4VDn-X2.jpg

They have several options for alcohol and do offer some nice frozen cocktails as well as wine and beer.

i-zwgpnqM-X2.jpg

i-9tPv8jX-X2.jpg

Not a fan of Gelato, but this is supposed to be very nice. I think they have two or three flavours that are ice cream.

i-NbH3VHQ-X2.jpg

So, that was our night.....a disappointing dinner and ended up with a lovely shared quick serve dinner in our suite with some tea and then we opened a bottle of wine.

I forget what the weather was like at that point as our drapes had been closed by the turndown lady and we didn`t open them, it is much cosier when they`re closed. Tom did ask if I wanted to head to HHN as it was only about 10.30 at this point, but I wanted to sleep now. And we didn`t feel we were missing too much with this years event anyway.

But, we couldn`t help but notice our last two meals in a row had been very poor....I`m really not the type to enjoy sending food back, I would rather not, we just want to enjoy our food and pay. I`m not looking for free food or discounts for poor food, so it was extremely disappointing to have so many meals that were not to the usual standard.

But, time for bed for us and we found a good old fashioned scary movie to watch.....I forget what it was now as I didn`t write it down....but I fell asleep half way through.

Last edited:
Carole, I can't believe you got bad meals 2 days in a row!

We haven't tried the Islands restaurant yet. I had a reservation booked once, but cancelled it because we were too tired to go that night. I wonder if we will even try it in February?
I don't mind paying for good food, but absolutely hate cold food. I always serve sizzling hot food at home and like it that way while out. The kids always kid me about heating the food so hot, but they are used to it by now:)
Hope things go better in the food area later on.

ruth

Carole, I can't believe you got bad meals 2 days in a row!

We haven't tried the Islands restaurant yet. I had a reservation booked once, but cancelled it because we were too tired to go that night. I wonder if we will even try it in February?
I don't mind paying for good food, but absolutely hate cold food. I always serve sizzling hot food at home and like it that way while out. The kids always kid me about heating the food so hot, but they are used to it by now:)
Hope things go better in the food area later on.

ruth

lol……it ain’t over yet!

I‘m famous for having nuclear plates with nuclear hot food, I’m with you…..hot food should be HOT!!! It’s a pet hate of mine so it might be seen as fussy to some but I don’t think it is.

We won’t be going back for our next trip, unless it changes drastically before then. Yes, we don’t mind what we pay as long as it’s good.

We do have some good food coming up though :)

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH

Today was a day we were looking forward to as tonight we were doing the Haunted House in Mount Dora and we were excited about doing that, it felt ages since we had booked it.

But, first this morning Alex was supposed to bring in her little daughter to meet us all, she is completely adorable as we had met her once before but she wouldn`t remember us, so into the lounge and we enjoyed our breakfast while admiring how gorgeous it looked outside today again.

In the end she didn`t make it in with her daughter, so we headed off to the park. Today Matt, Rob and even Raphael were heading off to Miami to see Lady Gaga, it would be quiet without all three of them!

We got the boat and it was a little cooler again today, when I say cooler I mean it wasn`t as humid, it was gorgeous.

I always thought the Bourne Show started later, but as we passed they were letting folks in for the first show, so we popped in and it looked almost deserted considering the doors had been open for a while, and I think we got in the wrong line, but as it wasn`t busy it didn`t matter.

i-w9RkjWM-X2.jpg

We seemed to wait a long time to get into the show today, but it did get a lot busier, but the theatre is massive and holds a heck of a lot of people and it wasn`t even as busy as I thought as they weren`t telling you to go down to the end of the row, you could sit anywhere, so we did choose the middle area second to back row.

But we felt for the poor TM who was telling everyone to just sit....anywhere, but please sit down!!!

i-68prDDN-X2.jpg

This show is very good and so much better than it`s predecessor Terminator, which was dated. But, I don`t think it`s the most amazing show on earth, however we`ll do the show a couple of times a visit, it`s something you should absolutely see as it is very clever.

i-zvmGBvh-X2.jpg

A quick rumble through the much busier than previous Scare Zone and we headed down to do ET.....now this is a ride we`ll do once a day when we`re in the Studios usually. I`m glad this area is being revamped, well ET is being left alone, but this side of the park has definitely needed a much needed upgrade. It`ll be interesting for sure when it`s done.

You can get some decent pictures on ET, but as you don`t use the flash they`re not great.

i-6ZknQ2K-X2.jpg

i-4xKhZnT-X2.jpg

We tend to miss out the whole Simpson`s area as it`s just not our thing, Tom and Kyle would do the Simpson`s but I just can`t and Tom`s not bothered enough to want to go on his own, same with MiB, it`s not something I enjoy very much and it was ever so spinny last time.

So we head to do Gringott`s and have a quick wander round there as it`s always so pretty and not too busy today.

i-mPdwwTj-X2.jpg

i-fvK3Sws-X2.jpg

i-HF3jcsx-X2.jpg

Gringotts was about a 20 minute wait today to get to the ride and it was as always, entertaining. That locker area was a hot mess today.....I managed to get in and out without any fuss but there looked to be a riot forming as families bundled up against one another and getting annoyed with each other......oh dear!

I don`t know what it is about the Magical Menagerie, but I just don`t like it very much....I think it might be the snakes and frogs inside as they give me the creeps at the best of time.....and that giant ginger cat that moves in a weird way is also quite creepy! We really don`t go in there often.

i-XpbN4Nd-X2.jpg

i-TKZ9VV3-X2.jpg

Tom didn`t take pictures of the crowds here, but it was jam packed and how you expect a Saturday to look, but once inside Knockturn Alley is was weirdly quiet.....it`s funny how the crowds disperse at times.

i-QFv3cjh-X2.jpg

i-9Wrh7sW-X2.jpg

The Statue behind Lombards is a nice picture opportunity. And it did kind of fit there despite it originally being situated in Amity. It`s one of the props along with Bruce the Shark that survived the cull when Diagon Alley was built and it was good to see it resurface here.

Based on a real statue in Massachusett`s named Man at the Wheel, it did represent the Amity of old very well.

i-cm9BRCk-X2.jpg

As we`d had such a good meal last week in Lombards, we decided to go back for round 2 and I wasn`t sure we`d get a table with it being Saturday, but she said no problem and off we tootled inside and again we`d be upstairs for lunch today which suited us nicely as we did like it up there.

i-WgNbHTF-X2.jpg

It wasn`t busy at all up here and aside one other table we were the only ones up here. It is such a lovely restaurant and we seemingly had a very nice waiter who reminded me of Jimmy in Amatista, he took our drink order which was two fanta`s today and I also asked for some water, he said he`d be back and he was, he brought the fanta`s but no water, but that was ok.

i-LzGgg84-X2.jpg

Tom ordered the Chicken Sandwich which sounded lovely, I asked for the Ramen Bowl with chicken but asked if they would leave out the sprinkle of cilantro on top, he said no problem.

At this point other tables began filling up and Jack had a couple of tables and we never mentioned the water even though he passed several times......

And we waited.......eventually we noticed other tables that were seated after us had been served their food, so we attracted Jimmy`s attention and he rather briskly told me that it was coming soon our order was next......it wasn`t.

After 40 minutes we were getting a little annoyed by now especially as Jimmy seemed deliberately oblivious we had no food.....so we attracted him again and he said....soon....soon....and at that it did appear through the doors......

And it looked lovely.......

We thanked him at that point and we got ready to eat as we were starving at this point. Tom cut into his and I took a spoonful at the same time and both of us declared at almost the same micro second......

This is cold.

i-Fnzx2hW-S.gif

i-CgWHTQT-X2.jpg

i-gsx3B4j-X2.jpg

Tom`s fries were almost stone cold, not just cool, his chicken with the cheese on top was congealed and again, completely overcooked.

My noodle bowl......well, the bowl itself was hot, but the liquid was tepid......this should have been boiling hot. I stopped Jack and told him our food was cold, he felt the bowl 😲 and said rather irately that`s hot not cold.....I told him yes the bowl was hot, not hot, hot, but the liquid inside was cool, he shook his head as if he didn`t believe me and then Tom explained his fries and chicken were cold, he said to Tom I get you new fries he replied he didn`t want new fries the whole dish was cold......he then turned and looked at me and said what do you want me to do....what do you want me to do. I looked at him and said you know, I don`t know.

I reminded him we had waited 40 minutes for this food, for him to reply in the middle of this busy restaurant.....40 minutes is not an unreasonable time to wait and you made a special request of course it takes longer.......wait...wait......I asked them not to sprinkle cilantro on top.....hardly changing the whole dish.....he went to reply and I said please stop.....I got up and wandered out to the desk and asked for a manager, but I did ask very nicely as I would never be rude to someone the way he had been rude to us. She said she would send her in.

The food was still on the table when I came back and he had rather mysteriously brought Tom a sizzling hot plate of fries!!! The manager Danielle appeared in a couple of minutes and I explained what had happened.....her face was a picture when I said we had been told 40 minutes was not an unreasonable time to wait for food.....she agreed she would be angry too if she had been told that. They want you in and out so they can get more folks in....no secret there. I mentioned everything he had said, I`m always amazed how I don`t miss a detail when I`m annoyed......lol.....she was lovely however and we weren`t annoyed with her in any way so it was a very polite and friendly conversation, we weren`t being unreasonable or rude in any way with her, it was the waiter we were annoyed with.

She obviously didn`t charge us as we hadn`t eaten anything, she was keen to offer us some food, but again, the hunger was gone right now so we declined and said we`d get something later.

But, chatting to her we got on to HHN and she asked us if we had been to the pop up bars behind Lombards.....we looked at her and said we had no idea they were there!!! She sighed and said yes, not many folks did as it hadn`t been advertised much compared to the other ones.....she said we should try it and we said we would.

We thanked her for being so understanding and she again apologised and thanked us for being so reasonable, certainly not her fault, we had told her we had dined here last week and it had been perfect, which it had been and we would return at some point.

At that we left the restaurant, really annoyed actually as it had been unpleasant and it needn`t have been so.....our waiter had been rude and unhelpful and downright beligerent asking me in an irate manner what he expected me to do. As I said previously, I don`t think we`re overly fussy and certainly don`t go in being demanding or changing recipes to suit what we would prefer as I know some folks do......we`re always polite and even when riled, we would never lose our temper with anyone like that, so it left a sour taste with us for Lombards.

We headed back out the park now and Tom asked if I wanted to mobile order a slice of Louie`s pizza, but I honestly wasn`t hungry, which is unusual!!!

I think we shared a sandwich from Tuk Tuk when we got back home and a cup of tea from the Club Lounge.....

Three bad meals in a row.......surely that was enough for now!!!

Tonight, we hit the Ghost Tour and we noticed the rain was now bouncing down at an alarming rate, a storm was being predicted and we fervently hoped it would be off before we had to drive to Mount Dora tonight. 👻

Three in a row .... it's almost unbelievable. Especially after so many wonderful meals you've enjoyed over the years (and all the great pictures/descriptions you've shared with us). I truly hope this was the LAST of the awful experiences you had this trip!

It`s crazy isn`t it!

Out of all the years we`ve been visiting we have very rarely sent anything back from restaurants, and yet since we came back after Covid we have had more than our fair share of bad/cold/overcooked food that has been returned.

It became a little ridiculous to be honest. There does seem to still be an issue with some places for staff, or experienced chefs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter