Happy Pride Day Everyone!

iankh

It's never done till it's overdone
Hisselfness and I will be going to the Chicago Pride Parade tomorrow. I think this might be the first time since my first parade (called a march back then) in 1973 that I will not be in the parade.

Last year my synagogue had a contigent in the parade, the first time a mainstream Chicago synagogue was in the parade. And much to my delight we had a "quadruple minyan" (40 people - for those who don't know what a minyan is you can Google it).

Unfortunately or fortunately we are getting ready to tear down our synagogue to put up a new building and the farewell to the old building bash is happening on Pride Day.

So, what are you doing to celebrate Pride and a group of people back in 1969 deciding to stand up for themselves?

I live in Tucson. The only thing we celebrate in June is air-conditioning.

They actually postpone the pride celebration until October around here. If we had a parade in June, the gay population would become suddenly, tragically extinct.

In October, we have OUToberfest, a big celebration at one of the parks. It's a blast.

But today, I'll just be proud of who I am, happy that I'm loved, and I may celebrate by doing something naughty with my boyfriend.

Eating ice cream or something, perhaps.

Not doing anything here. Honestly? Not aware of anything to do!

I went to the Chicago parade & was proud of my fellow queers. The current governor was in the parade (a democrat) and so was his Republican challenger. When the governor went by, there were huge cheers. When his challenger went by there was a respectful silence. Although she is for gay rights and pro choice, she is part of the party that wants to make us less than citizens, constitutionally. I was proud of everyone for the respect and courtesy they showed her.

Dallas Pride is in September. :) DS and I are usually in the parade on the float for the AIDS walk. DS loves the Pride parade, as long as we get to ride. The one year we would have had to walk he decided he didn't really want to go! Last year we didn't have a big float, we just rode in a convertible. Not sure what the plan is for this year.

We typically have the parade, the Lone Star AIDS ride (bike ride from Ft. Worth to Dallas) at the end of September, LifeWalk 5K (which is "my" event) the first weekend of October, and the HRC Black Tie Dinner either in October or November.

So anyone who doesn't get enough Pride in June, feel free to join us later this year!!

Heard on NPR this morning that the Pride Event in St. Pete's was a great success.

Now don't I feel stupid? :confused3 Guess I'd better pay a little more attention to what is going on in the world around me. :guilty:

dkostel said:
I went to the Chicago parade & was proud of my fellow queers. The current governor was in the parade (a democrat) and so was his Republican challenger. When the governor went by, there were huge cheers. When his challenger went by there was a respectful silence. Although she is for gay rights and pro choice, she is part of the party that wants to make us less than citizens, constitutionally. I was proud of everyone for the respect and courtesy they showed her.

I was at the Chicago Parade too (on a float) and it was fabulous.

MrVisible said:
I live in Tucson. The only thing we celebrate in June is air-conditioning.

They actually postpone the pride celebration until October around here. If we had a parade in June, the gay population would become suddenly, tragically extinct.

In October, we have OUToberfest, a big celebration at one of the parks. It's a blast.

So we are going to Tucson in August..... Should we postpone till October?

We went to the Pride festival on Saturday and watched the parade on Sunday, celebrating our 29th anniversary (we met at a planning meeting for GayPride 77 here). Planning on celebrating our 30th at Gay Days at WDW!

PghLybrt said:
So we are going to Tucson in August..... Should we postpone till October?
There are some subtle differences between August in Tucson and October in Tucson. Such as...

In August, the monsoon season will have just finished. The temperature will be in the hundreds daily, and the humidity will be well above our usual negligible levels. Walking outside from an air-conditioned environment will be like walking into a solid wall of heat. Frying an egg on the sidewalk will not only be possible, it will be reasonable, as nobody wants to heat up their kitchen any more than absolutely necessary.

October, on the other hand, is heaven.

People who come to Tucson in August never come back, and tell their friends that the city is completely uninhabitable, and they can't imagine how people actually live here. People who come to Tucson in October move here.

And I think the parade and the festival are on or about October 15th.

buckylarue said:
We went to the Pride festival on Saturday and watched the parade on Sunday, celebrating our 29th anniversary (we met at a planning meeting for GayPride 77 here). Planning on celebrating our 30th at Gay Days at WDW!

Happy Anniversary!! :thumbsup2

The friends we will be traveling with in August are celebrating their 10th anniversary this year. They had planned to go to WDW in October for their actual anniversary, but since my DH could only get time off in August they are coming with us in August. How's THAT for loyal friends? DS will be on :cloud9: with his "uncles"!

Ironically they are usually traveling when all of the Pride events are happening, so they have never come to the parade with us! Once in awhile we all volunteer at an AIDS charity event, but we haven't done that lately. I will have to pester them about coming to the parade this year if they are in town!

This was my 15th Atlanta Pride. :) Average attendance is usually estimated to be around 250,000. But we unfortunately had very severe weather this year. Friday night we had a windstorm that blew down the large music stage, so all entertainment was cancelled. Saturday was nice until a lightning storm started around 10pm (Melissa Ferrick was cancelled at that point). Then Sunday the entire festival was cancelled because of heavy rains and lightning. At least the parade was able to finish (although we all were soaked)!

Oh well, we all have pride 365 days a year, not just one weekend!

MrVisible said:
There are some subtle differences between August in Tucson and October in Tucson. Such as...

In August, the monsoon season will have just finished. The temperature will be in the hundreds daily, and the humidity will be well above our usual negligible levels. Walking outside from an air-conditioned environment will be like walking into a solid wall of heat. Frying an egg on the sidewalk will not only be possible, it will be reasonable, as nobody wants to heat up their kitchen any more than absolutely necessary.

October, on the other hand, is heaven.

People who come to Tucson in August never come back, and tell their friends that the city is completely uninhabitable, and they can't imagine how people actually live here. People who come to Tucson in October move here.

And I think the parade and the festival are on or about October 15th.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Or friend who lives there just keeps telling us we will be fine...... I think she is getting even for the snowboarding we made her do when she visited us!
October it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter