Harder to get a room?

JVSJr

Earning My Ears
I may just be having bad luck, but....

I have BWV points and cannot seem to get a room. I tried several times and several different dates but no luck. Granted, I tried for a few summer dates (pretty close) and for October (F&W) and for early Dec (yea right).

I just don't remember it being this hard. Could it be because many SSR members bought points at a large resort and want to stay somewhere besides their home.

I figure when SSR is done and a zillion points are out there, everyone will want to stay at the smaller, high profile BWV or BCV.

Anyone have thoughts on the size of SSR and the impact on the smaller resorts?

I guess the 11 month booking will become MUCH more valuable at the small places.

I think the 11/7 month booking window will become more important as more and more DVC members are added to the system, and not just for the smaller resorts, but all home resorts, including OKW and SSR. Early booking has always been the best way to use DVC, as as more members become familiar with the way their membership works they will be booking earlier and earlier. Plus the Dining Plan may have contributed to more rental inquiries for DVC resorts, leading owners to book rental transactions earlier as well.

In your own experience right now, you are still in that booking window for early December and still have that home resort priority. You aren't competing with SSR or any other resort, you simply waited too long to try to book an extremely popular DVC season. The SSR sales have no effect.

You really need to look at the dates that you wanted,two of the three are for times in the year that are very popular (F&W,Xmass) and the summer dates (which you don't give) could be for dates that are to close to book at the BWV.

It doesn't surprise me. I'll be booking our next trip at 11 months and 1 second.

DisFlan

DisFlan said:
It doesn't surprise me. I'll be booking our next trip at 11 months and 1 second.

DisFlan

Then dear DisFlan you won't get it.

Here's a secret, in fact its my strategy:

Book at one second less than the 11 month window. (10 months 30 or 31 days and 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds before)

Good Luck, my friend!

-Tony

yes, the game has changed.

the 200 day reservations at the smaller better located, more popular resorts will get harder and harder to obtain.

dvc has stuck it to us pretty good.......

bbb.

Let's stick back to them. Put your points on the market, quit paying your dues, stop spending money there and quit watching ABC. If we all did this -----what would happen? Are there 100,000 other suckers out ther to replace us??

I bet we could negotiate a great deal with Loews hotels over at Adventure Islands!! Do you think they'd ahve us? Yea right.

WHo knows?

Yo

You do realize that SSR owners can't change out for December until May, so the problem for your December trip is other BWV owners.

Yea right.
Well said (I think!) :) DVC is a great option for many folks. It more than satisfies for folks who were honest to themselves when they bought in.

So far, I've still had pretty good luck. I was able to book BCV at about four months out for May.

I'm happy with all the DVC resorts, so it's fine for me. My favorite is OKW, and they tend to have the most openings.

YoMickey said:
bbb.

Let's stick back to them. Put your points on the market, quit paying your dues, stop spending money there and quit watching ABC. If we all did this -----what would happen? Are there 100,000 other suckers out ther to replace us??

I bet we could negotiate a great deal with Loews hotels over at Adventure Islands!! Do you think they'd ahve us? Yea right.

WHo knows?

Yo

your logic is flawed.

the people who bought our points wouldn't be "suckers", they would KNOW EGG-ZACT-LEE what they were getting. A small resort, that is dominated in size by a resort that is NOT a prime location.

Anyone who buys vwl,bcv,bwv today KNOWS what they are getting. They are NOT suckers.....

Now the folks who bought 10 years ago.......... well dvc, HAS pulled one over on them.

people think I am blowing this out into something bigger then it really is, but just set back and watch these boards the next 2 years. Waitlist threads every single day.............you'll see. There are 2 new ones here since last night. 2 years ago you could call 4 mths out and almost always get a room, unless you had picked a holiday/special time.

Once SSR owners take a trip "home", and hear their kids say "but dad, they get to ride a boat to the park, oh mom can we swim in the sab pool, daddy those people get to do stuff on the board walk, why can't we stay were the parks are". You will see a MASS movement by a majority of the SSR owners to book stays at the small, great location resorts. I would love 2 years from now to see the stats on % of ssr owners, looking to book away from home vs the other resorts. I bet it will be 3/1. WDW/DVC are no fools, they built SSR last for a reason.

I remember when I took my tour, I was asking questions about how hard it was to book a room on short notice. My guide took me over to a computer and said "well let's look", she pulled up each resort and ask me to fire off dates. We were there in late may, i rattled off june, july,aug dates....... rooms of all sizes every where. Those days are over.

I don't blame my guide, and I don't blame SSR owners, heck they are just like me, parents seeking the best family vacation they can have. But I do blame DVC, they have used the small resorts to mkt a HUGE resort, that DVC knows will be the low man on the list.

Why in the world would you build the LARGEST resort in the worst location? Simple........ it was the only place with enough land. To heck with what that does to current owners.

Disney is milking the system. SSR owners don't seem worried, and are tired of hearing about it, I don't blame them. You can buy into a resale Orlando time share for 5-6 k, if you don't mind being 20-30 min by bus from the parks.

bicker said:
Well said (I think!) :) DVC is a great option for many folks. It more than satisfies for folks who were honest to themselves when they bought in.

huh?

did you know 5 years ago dvc would put 40% of it's rooms it the worst location of any dvc resort?

I actually read the Master Deed before I bought into BWV.

You seem to forget that Marriott Vacation Club existed long before DVC, and so we all had a very good idea what DVC was trying to be. If anything, we who bought 8 years ago should be DISAPPOINTED that DVC hasn't grown as much as it was supposed to.

So yes, I think you're blowing it out of proportion -- or perhaps you just simply completely off-target. I cannot really tell which.

JVSJr said:
I may just be having bad luck, but....

I have BWV points and cannot seem to get a room. I tried several times and several different dates but no luck. Granted, I tried for a few summer dates (pretty close) and for October (F&W) and for early Dec (yea right).

I just don't remember it being this hard. Could it be because many SSR members bought points at a large resort and want to stay somewhere besides their home.

I figure when SSR is done and a zillion points are out there, everyone will want to stay at the smaller, high profile BWV or BCV.

Anyone have thoughts on the size of SSR and the impact on the smaller resorts?

I guess the 11 month booking will become MUCH more valuable at the small places.

I own at BWV and the last two reservations I made (early dec 2005 & Oct 2006), the MS rep told me that they strongly reccomended that I book day by day. At that point I was only competeing against other BWV owners. I plan to call exactly at that 11 mos window from now on!

Worst location is a matter of opinion. I know you know that.

Golfers, DTD fans, and those that don't do parks that much think OKW and SSR are the best locations.

Those that do parks a lot and love a water park type pool think BW/BC are the best lcoations.

cobbler said:
Worst location is a matter of opinion. I know you know that.

Golfers, DTD fans, and those that don't do parks that much think OKW and SSR are the best locations.

Those that do parks a lot and love a water park type pool think BW/BC are the best lcoations.

I am certain that "some" feel SSR has the best location. But no one thinks 40% of the dvc owners do.

There is a reason DVC waited to build ssr...........

On what page did they say 40% of the rooms would be in the worst location?
On which page did they guarantee you that you'd always have availability whenever you wanted? :rolleyes: You should focus on the reality of what DVC actually promised you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter