Has a valet ever stolen something from your car?

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
My wife and I stayed at a hotel that only had valet parking this past weekend and I think the valet stole $4.50 in quarters from my car.

I can't be absolutely certain so I have not complained but I can't come up with another explanation.

I have an organizer that is in the center armrest of my car that has a coin holder. The coin holder is one that holds the coins vertically, grouped by denomination. So all the pennies together, all the dimes together, all the nickels together, and all the quarters together. So very easy to grab the exact denomination needed. To get to the coins you have to lift the armrest and slide a door back to reveal the inside of the center armrest. They are not just out in the open.

I am the only one that has driven my car in the past few weeks and I do not remember using all the quarters.

We go grocery shopping at Aldi which requires a quarter to rent the shopping cart so I know the quarters were there the 11th when we went grocery shopping. They were gone when we went on the 18th. In between the car was valeted on the 16th-17th.

I filled the coin holder backup and found it holds $4.50 in quarters.

I have no memory of using any or all of the quarters. Normally I remove one for the shopping cart and then replace it once the cart is returned. I don't live somewhere with parking meters, tolls are all electronic, and the self service car wash I visit costs $5 to start so I always use a credit card.

It seems like a little sum of money to steal and risk a job but maybe it is the perfect crime. I won't complain because I can't be absolutely sure so if they get away with about $4 from some number of cars, that can add up over time.

never. No one's risking a job for $4.

plus, no one is going to take all of what particular type of coin. A person, stealing over time, is going to take one or two of each denomination, so that the person that owns the vehicle wouldn't try pointing the finger at the valet.

Used free hospital valet once for a medical procedure. Had 2 gift cards that were in a closed center console stolen, but as the car was parked unlocked in a garage so no one would take responsibility. About $150 lost. Lesson learned.

Not valet per say but years ago we did a hotel and parking package at San Francisco hotel to fly to the east coast. Husbands radar detector was gone. My husband hid it pretty well so we know they looked thru the car well.

No. But that’s one reason I usually avoid valet parking. It’s a hassle to remove any valuables you might have to get someone to park your car. I‘m not trusting.

No, but I would send a message to the company. It can be they have a kleptomaniac and they already suspect something, it can be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Last edited:
No, and I do not leave anything of value nor any personal identifying information in our vehicles. Registrations and insurance cards are carried with us.

No, but I think a valet actually GAVE us something. Upon getting in our car after retrieval by a valet, there was an open partially consumed pack of gum on the passenger seat.

We asked the valet if it was his. He said no. Maybe the valet who first took our car left it there accidentally or it fell out of his pocket.

I don't think majority of people are in that occupation to take quarters.

My guess is it's been a bit since the quarters were counted (visually seeing some quarters isn't the same) and some have been used or someone in the family picked up some or all for other usages.

If it's really as out of the way as you're saying I'm doubting the valet is going through the car, to the armrest, to sliding a door and only take quarters.

I don't think majority of people are in that occupation to take quarters.

My guess is it's been a bit since the quarters were counted (visually seeing some quarters isn't the same) and some have been used or someone in the family picked up some or all for other usages.

If it's really as out of the way as you're saying I'm doubting the valet is going through the car, to the armrest, to sliding a door and only take quarters.
Don’t ever leave anything of value including coins visible in your vehicle … criminals especially junkies rely on this as income for their next fix … not that your valet is a junkie but you would be shocked at how often thefts from vehicles occur and these people have zero regard for your property. They will cause thousands in damage to steal your pocket change …

Don’t ever leave anything of value including coins visible in your vehicle … criminals especially junkies rely on this as income for their next fix … not that your valet is a junkie but you would be shocked at how often thefts from vehicles occur and these people have zero regard for your property. They will cause thousands in damage to steal your pocket change …
To the bolded-Did I say otherwise? I'm pretty certain this is common knowledge :) But FWIW I don't think people consider 4 bucks and change all that valuable. Either way most of us don't think valets are in the biz to take some chump change from people.

I don't think we have either and valet occasionally because certain venues around us require it. I have had my car rifled through in my driveway because I left the door unlocked. I keep nothing of value other than a bit of change. They left my center console a mess but they didn't take the towels, nail file, dental flossers or gum I keep in there. The change is in a different spot in the dashboard by the driver's door and in the dark, I don't think they saw it. I keep my glove box locked because I do keep my registration in there.

Didn’t say you did … folks on this board are so touchy … nope $4 in change isn’t that valuable but I would venture even you might not like paying the cost of repair/replacing a smashed window or pried open door that the thieving degenerates might cause to gain access to your $4 in change … perhaps not though what do I know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter