Has anyone flown Frontier?

Do a search for Frontier in this forum. There are a handful of recent threads with good info that should pop up.

They catch a lot of negative vibes, but really, you just get what you pay for. I flew with them last year STL - Las Vegas for $99 round trip and had ZERO issues. The seats feel a bit small, and you don’t get ANYTHING complementary (no luggage, no snacks, etc), but to me, the savings are worth it!

Yes, they are my airline of choice these days. Flying them again in May and June. They are a discount airline which essentially means their pricing is a la carte. You pay for only what you need, but if you need all the extras it may or may not come out to be a cheaper deal. They do have quite a few newer planes. Flights are rather limited with not all areas being serviced every day and some only once a day. But we've only had good experiences so far and have been flying for around $50-100RT from PA/NJ to FL and we just got flights in June to Myrtle Beach for $90RT. Seats aren't that comfy and don't recline so I'm not sure I'd love it for a super long flight but it's not an issue on a 2-3 hour flight.

Flew with them last year with no problems and have an upcoming reservation in September with them. It was a direct flight and I didn't mind the seats. We also only brought backpacks and put them under our seat so there were no luggage fees. The first trip was $20 each way and the one we have booked is $49 each way. Everything looked new and clean so I had no issues.

I live in Colorado and Frontier has a hub here. I flew on Frontier a bunch to SNA/Disneyland and back a bunch last year and only had one real problem - a 7pm flight (give or take an hour) flight from SNA that had to be rescheduled for the next morning. SNA won't let planes leave or land after 10pm, otherwise Frontier may have gotten another plane that could have gotten us out that night. Anyway, Frontier put everyone in a decent hotel across the street and $200 flight vouchers and some eating vouchers (which were kind of useless as the restaurants had already closed that night and we didn't have enough time in the morning to use them). We did not have to ask for the vouchers, they just gave them to us. A similar delay (evening flight switched to morning flight) happened to us with American Airlines out of LAX, except that they did not give us vouchers even though the experience was worse as we only had about 4 hours in our hotel to get rest) I had to write to them and ask. I did receive some vouchers so they came through in the end.

I have flown on Frontier a couple of times also to Florida the last 6 months - no problems. The staff seem just as nice as other airlines (i.e., not that nice) and the seats are a little worse but it is a budget airline.

Has anyone flown Frontier? Thoughts on them? Are their planes new? Etc?
I did; from LAX to MCO - twice.

Exactly what I expected from a budget airline. Nothing bad but nothing above and beyond either. Planes are not new, seats are not comfortable but not bad. Staff was friendly but really encouraged to up sell; I felt kinda bad for them. Of the four legs one was delayed by 45 minutes. The others were within 10 minutes of stated time.

We fly Frontier 90% of the time. It works. That's really all I need in an airline. I've flown every airline in the US and they're all the same in my opinion.

Just be aware that every option costs money, so it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it.

We have flown them several times to MCO. No issues. Last year they ordered 100 new planes. Not sure if the new planes have been added to the fleet yet. You pay for carry on bags (you get a personal item bag for free). Pay for picking a seat. Pay for checked bags. Other than that they are great to fly.

We just got back a couple weeks ago from Disney and we flew frontier. We flew direct from Milwaukee. Things to note are they nickle and dime you! If you want to get the lowest fare you have to sign up for the discount den, which is $50/yr. One person in the party has to be in the discount den to get the lowest fare for everyone. Also you have to pay for your seat assignment. The front rows are about $50/seat with the cheapest seats in the back being around $12/seat(middle seats in the back are $0). Also you can pre-pay for bags when purchasing the tickets($25-30 for carry-on & $50 for checked), pay for bags when you check in, or pay at the counter(more expensive). We prepaid when we purchased the tickets and got carry-ons and checked bags, then realized we didn't need carry-ons because you get 1 personal item(personal item has to fit under the seat in front or it counts as a carry-on) but we unable to take the carry-on off and still ended up paying for 2 carry-ons that we didn't have, both ways. Also at Southwest you can print out the checked luggage tags at self kiosk but not at frontier. You have to go to the counter to get your luggage tags for the checked bags - extra headache. We spent 30 min at MCO in line to check our bags even though we checked in online. Probably would have been worth the extra $200 to fly Southwest IMO. If your going for lowest cost then this is probably the best option - just know what you're getting into.

Another Coloradoan here who uses Frontier. Add up all of the extras to determine if it is a value alternative for you. A lot of the super budget airlines are more similar than different. Small seats, a charge for everything. Still, if I can get a non stop flight for $49, the flight is safe and I am aware of the total cost with bags etc... I'm in. Manage your expectations and it is fine.

We flew with Frontier for the first time back in Oct. Just know what you're getting into. Everything is an uncharge, and if you're ok with 0 frills (0 frills), it's totally fine, at least our experience was. My husband & I were separated by 11 rows and no extras, but we saved a lot of money. We're flying Delta this time but only because it was the same price as Frontier (!!) after the extras like checked and carry on luggage fees. As others have said, just be prepared. There was a 15 minute schpeil about their credit card, but whatever. It was cheap. :)

We flew Frontier in January & I was a nervous wreck after reading reviews about their service & staff.
We had no issues at all. The staff, I will say, is a little rough around the edges (think the cast of Jersey Shore).
Totally no frills, but I am fine with that.
We were very much on time both coming & going, but we noticed they seem to make a VERY big deal about being on time, so I wouldn't mess with that, give your self plenty of time.

We attempted to use them earlier this year, but the schedule changed. I will say, we were booking lowest fare and had the option on checkout to do a package that covered all the typical frills you get - plus the bigger seats up front. At the end of the day, the cost was almost even with Southwest and you got a bit more choice. We still went with Southwest though because the F9 schedule changed and wasn't going to work anymore...and they use to sign my pay checks. ;)

Yes, you don't have to pay for any extras or you can like more legroom. Got to MCO on a redeye flight like an hr early, loved it!

new planes....cheap fairs (on the surface).......but they nickle and dime you to death. They charge for every checked bag, they charge for every carry on bag....they charge for seat assignments .......they charge for the in flight cokes.....they also crap about 20% more people on an average 737 to maximize revenue and profit.

That being said....if you have less then a 2 hour flight...and you can avoid all the extra charges....it a decent way to fly.

My husband & I were separated by 11 rows and no extras, but we saved a lot of money.. :)

yeah....I had a business trip in orlando last year....so I took my family along....since i was flying my seat on the company dime....i took every upgrade and was in the 1st row. but it also allowed me to have all the family checked bags.

my wife and kids were scattered with the common folk back in steerage :) many many rows behind me......but it served its purpose and save a at least $600 over flying American

I wonder what happened...

There are no direct Frontier flights from LAX to MCO anymore. The fastest is 13 hours! A 4.5 hour stop in Denver - 18 hours coming back. The cheapest is 15 hours with a 7 hour layover in Denver and a 1 hour in Saint Louis. That one is $380 r/t and I paid $440 with all the upgrades (seats and luggage) on JetBlue.

I guess it's not an in-demand route. Both times I've done it the plane was full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter