Has anyone flown in the last month with kids....

Angel717

Mouseketeer
Has anyone flown with their kids since Sept. 11th, or did you decide to drive? We are planning on flying down next month (three adults, four kids), but if the kids don't want to fly, we'll drive instead. I'm wondering how your kids reacted to flying and if you felt safe taking them on the flight. I wouldn't have a problem with flying if it was just me and DH, but, I'm a little uneasy about the kids being on the plane after everything that's happened. Anybody want to share their experience?

We flew down Sept. 22 - 30th. Had no problem whatsoever. Felt very safe the entire time. Two boys, 8 and 12 were fine. I think some times our kids pick up our fears, so don't act scared before the trip, and talk and act upbeat about it. Don't make a big thing out of the plane ride, and your kids won't either. If you talk or act scared, that will transfer over to them. Our kids are perceptive, and read our emotions very well (they've had years of practice). If you are happy and fearless, they will be too.

I asked my DD (12) how she felt about flying. She stated that flying did not bother her considering what happened. She did not even hesitate or ask me if I thought that anything bad like that could happen. So I took it that she would be fine. My DS (5) really does not understand the whole extent of what happened beside a couple of really bad men flew planes into buildings that fell down and hurt a bunch of people. Aaaah, to be young and innocent.

We flew down two weeks after the tragedy. I was a wreck, but the kids showed no fear whatsoever. The airport was very empty and no kids were around which freaked me out. When we got to our gate, there were more families. I did notice everyone sizing each other up, instead of burying their heads in the papers or a book. Everybody was kind of half smiling and saying Hi how are you to each other. The plane was half empty and the Stewards told us we could spread out. We had a huge male steward on our plane, very built. That made me feel much better. My kids were fine, but when we took off my oldest son - 11, started shaking like a leaf. I said What is wrong and he said "I think I AM afraid of flying". Actually I had mentioned driving to the kids and now that I think about it, he was the only one who said OK, I'll drive if you want to. We got immersed in our homework and then he was fine. I was fine after about 1 hour into the flight. Coming home the airports seemed to be back to normal. If you can overcome your fear, I think you won't be sorry and will have a wonderful trip.

We flew down to WDW on 10/6. My niece (just turned 4) and daughter (5 1/2) were fine. They really have no clue about what happened. My son (soon will be 9) started stressing out once we were in the plane. At first he wanted to tell me something, then said never mind. I could tell he was upset about something. We had not yet moved from the gate. I prodded him to tell me what was wrong. He started asking me a lot of questions: why didn't the pilots stop the men, why didn't people on the plane stop the men, what happened to the pilots. He asked a lot of questions about things I did not think he even knew about. I explained to him that I felt we were safe and if something did happen people would react. Once the plane was in the air, he was much more relaxed. He sure did watch every person who got up to use the bathroom though. On the flights back, he was fine. I was surprised at his reaction on the plane as he had never seemed bothered at the thought of flying. I was glad he told me how he was feeling and that we could talk it out and make him feel better.

BenHannah's Mom - That is exactly how my son reacted. He showed no fear until we were taking off. Sometimes the kids know more and discuss more than we are aware of. I was just in his class today and his teacher was telling me the things they have been talking about and I had no idea the kids were that involved in what was going on. He hasn't been telling me any of this at home. That is the kind of kid he is though, keeps his problems to himself. That is something for parents to remember, there may be more going on in their minds than you think.

I appreciate all the comments. So far, they just shrug their shoulders when I ask them how they feel about flying (the older kids are 13 and 9, the younger ones are 4 and 2). I am worried that once we get on the plane and are in flight, any anxieties they have will come to the surface. If we can talk it out, I think we'll be okay. I was so looking forward to this trip until September. Getting there used to be half the fun, remember? Now, for me anyway, it's the most anxious.:(

My husband and I flew home from Orlando to Providence with our 9yr son yesterday. My son was fine. He didnt ask any questions. My son and I flew down alone Oct 5th. I did ask him before we left if he'd rather drive down with dad and Nana. He said he'd rather be on the plane than 25 hours in the backseat of a car. I was nervous about flying alone with him but we did fine.

I hope my son will be okay...He knows what has happened but I don't think he relates what happened to passenger planes...he thinks they were flying their own planes into the WTC. I am not going to change his view on that...he doesn't have to know ... He has always liked to fly and I hope when we get on the plane next month he'll continue to like it.... although i'll be a nervous wreck....Lets pray we all will get through this....

We flew down on Sep 25 and home on Sep 30. We all discussed it before we left, and the kids said they really wanted to fly. (I offered to drive if anyone was uncomfortable flying.) Our plane was only about 1/3 full on the way down, and 8yo DD even went to sit in her own aisle after we took off so that she could have a window seat. She stayed there even while we were landing, which stunned me. I was sure she would want to be next to me or Grandma.

I was really afraid of how *I* would react emotionally once I was on the plane, even though intellectually I knew we'd be fine. I ended up not having a problem, even though I kept thinking about all the mothers on those planes the whole time we were flying.

I am glad to see I am not the only one with anxiety about flying. We were all so excited before Sept. 11th, now I dont think I will be excited til I get off that plane! I agree with what Barbruka said about your fears transferring to your kids, I will need to be espeically careful of this when we fly on sunday. I think it is funny how all the adults are offering to drive! We are all hoping maybe the kids would say yes! I tried to talk my family into driving too, it didnt work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter