Has anyone found sensible car hire prices yet?

Totally agree. We've had 2 trips this year - DCL in September and New Year trip forthcoming.
September trip was for DH, myself, DS, DDIL and grandson so booked a full-size SUV to cope with buggy, cases, travel cot etc with Alamo through Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire for 15 nights - £1714 in April 2022. Kept checking and watched the price rise until about 6 weeks before when it started to drop. Kept cancelling (free) and rebooking until the cheapest price a month before we arrived - £960.
Booked our New Year trip car hire at the end of May: only 3 days but £263 for an Intermediate car. Again watched the price going up until a drop in July - £224. Again more price rises until the past couple of weeks - currently booked for £113 and don't expect it to drop any further but will keep checking.

Takes seconds to check on Andy's site: no deposit until full payment 6 weeks before the car hire date. Refunds appear on your card in a couple of days.

Mrs TT

do you have a link for Andy's site? i've never heard of it.
is your cruise in September the DVC cruise? That's the one i'll be on.
This past summer it was all 9 of us in two minivans that i managed to find for a steal. About £960 each for 31 days in 7 person minivans. As i said a steal. But i haven't found that again.
Anyway, this coming september it will just be me. I'm meeting my best friend from university for the DVC cruise (and some days before and after the cruise at WDW).
I'll be there for 4 days before my friend gets there so that i can do some power shopping.
She lives in the USA, so doesn't need to shop, but i definitely do (especially for 6' 7" hubbie who gets all of his clothes and shoes in the US).
That's why i'm getting there 4 days earlier (August 24th) so as not to bore her to tears in my shopping frenzy.

I have managed to find slightly better prices for april in the US Car Hire app, still not what I would call cheap though. There are lots of reports that prices fall =in the weeks before pick up

Car hire prices are back to where they were before Covid. You can get a small car , 5 days for just over a £200. If you look at place such as San Diego you can get a car for £22 a day.

https://www.kayak.co.uk/cars/Orland...6-06;map?sort=rank_a&fs=carfees=afterHoursFee
Most of those do not include all the required insurance and they are off airport or nowhere near the airport. Car hire is still at least double to triple what it was pre covid for MCO rentals will full insurance

I do not recommend anyone take a car without CDW and SLI of at least $1m.

Beware of those cheap prices on kayak, they will catch you at the counter for very expensive CDW and SLI. Reviews of most of them are horrendous.

do you have a link for Andy's site? i've never heard of it.
is your cruise in September the DVC cruise? That's the one i'll be on.
This past summer it was all 9 of us in two minivans that i managed to find for a steal. About £960 each for 31 days in 7 person minivans. As i said a steal. But i haven't found that again.
Anyway, this coming september it will just be me. I'm meeting my best friend from university for the DVC cruise (and some days before and after the cruise at WDW).
I'll be there for 4 days before my friend gets there so that i can do some power shopping.
She lives in the USA, so doesn't need to shop, but i definitely do (especially for 6' 7" hubbie who gets all of his clothes and shoes in the US).
That's why i'm getting there 4 days earlier (August 24th) so as not to bore her to tears in my shopping frenzy.
This is Andy's site: - https://www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk/
Prices will be steep just now for a trip in August/September next year but if our experience is anything to go by, should drop significantly in the 4/5 weeks before. I know I could have perhaps saved a little by going through other sites (about £7 when I was checking) but he's so easy to deal with: no money up front until 6 weeks beforehand and so easy to cancel and rebook for less through his 'Manage my Booking' portal with refund processed quickly to your credit card. I cancelled and rebooked our January booking the other day there and the refund is showing on my card already.
We were on the Fantasy from the 3rd - 10th September 2022. A wee while since we'd done a cruise and had forgotten how good it was. I do think we were spoiled though as the ship was sailing well under capacity. We booked place holders so will see what we fancy for our next one. I have a notion to do one at Christmas or New Year. We usually arrive in Orlando towards the end of December and stay for the first couple of weeks in January - we catch the end of the Christmas decorations, get the buzz of New Year and then enjoy a quieter spell in the parks although Marathon weekend can be busier. First time back this year since 2019/20 so we'll see how we enjoy that before deciding on whether or not a cruise might be on the cards next year.

This is Andy's site: - https://www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk/
Prices will be steep just now for a trip in August/September next year but if our experience is anything to go by, should drop significantly in the 4/5 weeks before. I know I could have perhaps saved a little by going through other sites (about £7 when I was checking) but he's so easy to deal with: no money up front until 6 weeks beforehand and so easy to cancel and rebook for less through his 'Manage my Booking' portal with refund processed quickly to your credit card. I cancelled and rebooked our January booking the other day there and the refund is showing on my card already.
We were on the Fantasy from the 3rd - 10th September 2022. A wee while since we'd done a cruise and had forgotten how good it was. I do think we were spoiled though as the ship was sailing well under capacity. We booked place holders so will see what we fancy for our next one. I have a notion to do one at Christmas or New Year. We usually arrive in Orlando towards the end of December and stay for the first couple of weeks in January - we catch the end of the Christmas decorations, get the buzz of New Year and then enjoy a quieter spell in the parks although Marathon weekend can be busier. First time back this year since 2019/20 so we'll see how we enjoy that before deciding on whether or not a cruise might be on the cards next year.

thanks! i'll check his website.
I was playing around yesterday as Wayne suggested and would you believe it?
Miami airport was 50% less than Orlando airport!!!!! That's crazy.
i'm actually flying into miami, but was hoping the brightline train will be running to orlando by then, and then i could pick up a car at orlando airport after getting off the train.

thanks! i'll check his website.
I was playing around yesterday as Wayne suggested and would you believe it?
Miami airport was 50% less than Orlando airport!!!!! That's crazy.
i'm actually flying into miami, but was hoping the brightline train will be running to orlando by then, and then i could pick up a car at orlando airport after getting off the train.
Matt tried Andy's website, came up with a price of £1,400 so emailed and asked for any better offers(as suggested on DIS), a reply came from someone called Kelly offering Budget Gold (incl 4 drivers and tank of fuel) for £735. I find it odd their website offers silly figures yet they quote lower prices by email. £735 was still too high for 18 days rental so never booked. He is leaving it until last minute, if no deals come up they are using Ubers.

Matt tried Andy's website, came up with a price of £1,400 so emailed and asked for any better offers(as suggested on DIS), a reply came from someone called Kelly offering Budget Gold (incl 4 drivers and tank of fuel) for £735. I find it odd their website offers silly figures yet they quote lower prices by email. £735 was still too high for 18 days rental so never booked. He is leaving it until last minute, if no deals come up they are using Ubers.

my daughter and son in law used lyfts when they were in Orlando.
They don't like driving in the USA if they can avoid it.
The lyfts were costly but still less expensive than a rental would have been, and they didn't have to worry about driving.

my daughter and son in law used lyfts when they were in Orlando.
They don't like driving in the USA if they can avoid it.
The lyfts were costly but still less expensive than a rental would have been, and they didn't have to worry about driving.
Never used Lyfts. I have used Uber a few times if I get discount codes, they are generally too expensive where we live, local taxis are far cheaper. Having the app on my phone I took a few screen shots with prices at park opening to give Matt an idea of cost if they decide not to rent. He is staying in the same hotel we stayed in which has a free bus service so Uber would be back up. I thought the cost of Uber was very reasonable and far cheaper than rental, gas and parking fees.

You can pick up a mid sized car, Alamo Orlando airport for $50 a day. Additional car insurance isn’t that bad either..

Attachments

• 650E9BEB-2979-4EA0-BCD5-69D221DAC1ED.png
    650E9BEB-2979-4EA0-BCD5-69D221DAC1ED.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 9
I found a site, I think it was via here couple weeks back for cheap rental cars. It wasn't Andys site that keeps getting posted.

My dates weren't available yet so I deleted the email and now I can't for life of me find the company again.
It searched mainly Budget I think and gave direct and their prices. Anyone have any idea of even a name would be much appreciated.

Searching and trawling with little success.

I found a site, I think it was via here couple weeks back for cheap rental cars. It wasn't Andys site that keeps getting posted.

My dates weren't available yet so I deleted the email and now I can't for life of me find the company again.
It searched mainly Budget I think and gave direct and their prices. Anyone have any idea of even a name would be much appreciated.

Searching and trawling with little success.

i got some good offers from the brit guide discount for alamo
i think it depends on the dates..
i never pay in advance, so it's slightly more, but still it came up pretty good for august 2023

https://www.alamo.co.uk/en/car-hire-deals/brits-readers-deal.html

I got quoted £337.50 for ten days this morning for car hire starting Saturday. Not too bad, but will give lyft/uber a try first. The convenience of park hopping and not having to get back to a car may overrule the convenience of being able to just pop out to a shop.

I got quoted £337.50 for ten days this morning for car hire starting Saturday. Not too bad, but will give lyft/uber a try first. The convenience of park hopping and not having to get back to a car may overrule the convenience of being able to just pop out to a shop.

that's a really good rate!
does it include collision damage waiver?

No idea, sorry. Didn't go for it. Am going to try lyft instead

my daughter and son in law used lyft in the summer and were happy with it.
They don't like driving in the USA. They tried renting twice, but were uncomfortable with it both times.
The lyft is a better solution for them.

my daughter and son in law used lyft in the summer and were happy with it.
They don't like driving in the USA. They tried renting twice, but were uncomfortable with it both times.
The lyft is a better solution for them.
Logically it's a better solution for me too, what with parking fees etc. Plus means we can park hop and not go back to a car.

I'm just a bit of a scrooge at point of purchase and so will feel like I have a bit less freedom calling a taxi to go to the supermarket as I will ask myself is it truly worth it? each time instead of just getting in the car and exploring at my own pace.

Logically it's a better solution for me too, what with parking fees etc. Plus means we can park hop and not go back to a car.

I'm just a bit of a scrooge at point of purchase and so will feel like I have a bit less freedom calling a taxi to go to the supermarket as I will ask myself is it truly worth it? each time instead of just getting in the car and exploring at my own pace.
i totally get that. And i always rent because i like the flexibility

I tried the smaller earth link and it gave the best price so far but it was in euros with no option to change. I also tried Andy’s site and that was the next best price. We are only going to have a car for 2 days, to get to KSC and a shopping mall day. Other than that if we need to get around it will be an Uber

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter