Has anyone tried Alamo since "the switch"?

sueg

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I'm starting to check out rentals for our March trip & I usually use National w/ Emerald Aisle. At the momemt, their prices don't look great, esp. since I've given up my DC discounts. So I'm debating Alamo. I have had one REALLY bad experience w/ them many yrs. ago, but I'm hoping that becoming the OFFICIAL RENTAL of WDW will elevate their performance. Has anyone tried them since "the switch" ? Do they have the equivalent of Emerald Aisle? Is it free to join? Thanks.

I am not very familiar with Emerald Aisle, but Alamo does have a program called QuickSilver. You should be able to sign up for it on their web site. With the Alamo location in Orlando being off airport, I try to stick with on airport places (Avis, National, etc.).

Have you checked www.mousesavers.com for discount codes on rental cars? There are several good codes for on airport sites. I got a pretty good rate on Avis for Nov. 10 - 17.

We used National yesterday. The cable came off the battery leaving us stranded in that famous Florida sunshine. I won't bore you with the details, but after a fortune in cell phone roaming charges and much wasted time later we were back on the road. I'm concerned about the level of maintenance their cars receive. Don't get me wrong, the National people were very nice, though some were less than helpful. Next time I'll be renting from Avis.

Darian

I can't seem to find any good rates either for our trip in March.:( Ever since 9/11 everything seems to be increased including car rentals.:mad:

Darian our last experience with National was great...... so sorry yours wasn't BUT we did have issues with Alamo a few years back. So sorry your day had to be spent waiting for help.;)

Say no to Alamo, the worst car rental place on the planet. The MCO location is the worst of the worst. The two ladies??? behind the counter are outright rude. I called them ladies because this is a disney board. I would not rent from Alamo if it was the last place left. I would walk or stay home.

Originally posted by sammi
I can't seem to find any good rates either for our trip in March.:( Ever since 9/11 everything seems to be increased including car rentals.:mad:

Darian our last experience with National was great...... so sorry yours wasn't BUT we did have issues with Alamo a few years back. So sorry your day had to be spent waiting for help.;)

So far the best I have is $340 with all included for a minivan in March from Dollar - 8 days

Pluto, do you think that is a good price? I think its too high. We don't need a mini-van, the only time we ever had a mini-van from MCO was from EA, but EA doesn't seem to give that kind of result anymore. We are 2 adults & 2 DSs so we can survive in an intermediate, but would consider something larger, if we stayed below $200 for the week. I'm going to check back periodically.

Do I think it is a good price? Nope, but as you said, prices are crazy right now. I too will keep checking though...

Every year for the past few years that we've gone to Florida we've always been lucky to get a compact for a great price of only $99.00 a week and in most cases we've had a free upgrade to an intermediate (midsize) or even larger, but I think that those kind of prices are long gone and what makes it even worse is that we have such a low Canadian dollar against the US that it really adds up.:(

Oh well I'll keep checking and crossing my fingers!;)

As others may have said, the "switch" from National to Alamo does not take affect until January 1.

Rented national this past weekend at MCO. inche they are both owned by the same company, I asked about the switch and the National agent said that Alamo will be moving into the airport and the National counter will be split for an Alamo counter.

Ed

It is not at all clear yet what changes are to be made as a result of Alamo's becoming Disney's preferred. National and Alamo are owned by the same company that is bankruptcy and they decided to gear National toward the business traveler and Alamo toward the tourist traveler as part of the reorganization (sometimes you understand why a company goes into bankruptcy -- like when it owns two companies that viciously compete with each other in the same product line and it takes until after the bankruptcy filing for the so-called "intelligent" execs to realize that is not a good situation) . They will be sharing apparently National's space at the airport although not clear when that will actually begin. As to something like Emerald Isle, Alamo has the Quicksilver program and it is NOT free. Whether that will change is unknown.

Overall, I lean towards Nuthut's view towards Alamo noted above based on past bad experience (although that was some time ago)and when I first heard Disney was choosing it my reaction was that the same idiots who decided to make huge park cuts and decrease service to the customers at Disney are the same ones who thought it was a great idea to go with Alamo. Nevertheless, we shall see if Alamo will be good once it is hooked to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter