Has Covid hit closer to home since the beginning of all this?

Besides myself, no. In my little area of NJ, mask compliance is pretty much 100% (although I see lots of people wearing it wrong), and for the most part people are doing what they're supposed to. When I first got well enough to go out, this wasn't the case at all, with people being very nonchalant at WalMart, for example. I had to be taken home back then because I was too nervous to shop.

Now, eight months in and having had the illness and its effects subside, I'm starting to venture out again to my usual places; as long as everyone is complying, I see no reason not to so long as I mask up and bring sanitizer everywhere I go. Indoor dining is still a no-go, though. I have even booked a WDW vacation, although not until the very end of next year. We must be *so* vigilant and *so* careful, but we must also live.

She didn't wear a mask or avoid crowds, but now at least she's preaching to do those things because this is "real." And it makes me a horrible person, but I have to swallow the "I told you so's."

No it doesn't make you horrible at all...because she probably infected many innocent people who DID try to protect themselves - and now they're unfairly paying the price (maybe even dying) thanks to her total lack of respect or caring. We have a couple of family members who also see it as a hoax and I think it would serve them right to get sick.

I think anyone who actually gets into someone's face and breathes on them intentionally out of spite, just because the employee is required to ask them to mask up, (as an earlier poster mentioned) should be arrested.

My oldest daughter, who lives in Atlanta, tested positive about two weeks ago. She had very mild (almost no) symptoms, isolated at home, and is fine now. We're not sure how she got it, but she flew to Miami for business just before that, so she may have gotten it either on the flight or in business meetings.

Everybody who has been in contact with her during that period has tested negative. SIL stayed home from work for a few days until his test came back negative.

I know one person who tested positive about a month ago, but is very young and healthy. Basically one day of symptoms and that was it.
Just last week one local family DH works with all tested positive. They are having a rough time, and one of them may end up in the hospital. Hoping for the best.

Hubby's brother and his wife had it. She caught it first - she attended a group church choir thing, got home that night and got a phone call that one of the teenagers had tested positive. Next day she felt bad and got tested, came back negative. Next day she felt a whole lot worse so tested again, positive. Her husband started feeling bad on her day two, he tested positive the next day. She was pretty much over it in a week (actually drove their son to college less than a week after testing positive - both Doc and Dean of school said it would be o.k. since he had no symptoms even though he had been in the house with his parents the whole time). BIL was pretty sick for about a week, said he would get to feeling better and then the next day feel worse, said it was the worse he's ever felt and had a hard time breathing. She is about 50, he is about 55. He was back at work about a week and half after getting it.

My son and I think we might have had it in late Jan. he started feeling bad the day we came home from WDW. The next day I started feeling bad and we both just figured we had the normal WDW junk you get. Two days later I was having problems breathing and it hurt like heck. I figured I had walking pneumonia and just rested. My son is a RT so I talked to him and he concurred that was probably what it was. His roommate got sick the day after my son got home. It took both of us about 3 weeks to get to feeling normalish. No way to know since it wasn't known then. He works in a grocery store, doesn't wear a mask unless the place he is in requires it (his store does not), goes out just about every night to eat and has been since the town we live in started allowing places to open up. He hasn't gotten sick again. I wear a mask any time I go inside anywhere, whether they require it or not, wash my hands any time I touch anything outside my home.
My daughter and I came home from WDW in late Jan, too. We both felt horrible after we came home.

I work for a hospital so plenty of patients and coworkers have tested positive. One of my coworkers have died from it. My husband also works an essential job so plenty of his coworkers have tested positive as well. Fortunately neither of us have.

My mother’s cousin is currently in ICU on a respirator. Even with a family member in the hospital with it plenty of my family still thinks this is all a hoax.

Last edited:
It's real...can be serious and potentilly deadly for some but I am not terrified of COVID. I won't my life in fear. Cautious with precautions...yes but still LIVIMG MY LIFE .

Christie's letter is stellar. He talks of appreciation of front line workers in his care, of treatments he was offered. Supports keeping and opening more things up, albeit safely by region. He talks about the effect too strict Covid restrictions are having on business, families, and mental health. It was the most caring, supportive item I've read in all this Covid19 time. It gives a true hopefullness going forward until a vaccine is available.

Here’s the reality. It’s really easy to dismiss this virus because of the randomness of its virility. If you knew that your illness would be minor in scope, you wouldn‘t worry. Guess what? There is no way to know. So playing Russian roulette with your life and everyone else’s seems rather cavalier and irresponsible.

Google Chris Christie’s comments about the virus. He’s done a 180 after having the pleasure of dancing with it. He’s honest about balancing public responsibility with reopening. He advocates being responsible in an emerging reopening. Without responsibility, however, the situation can be scary.

This ain’t no dress rehearsal, ladies and gentleman.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/us/politics/chris-christie-face-masks-covid.html

My brother-in-law might have had it early on. At that time, tests were reserved for only the most serious/at-risk cases. He was treated as though he had it, but never had a test to confirm. Otherwise, none of my close family or friends have had it.

However, I do know a number of people who have had it.
-- My uncle had it (was hospitalized for several days but has recovered now).
-- My adult cousin had it (She only had minor symptoms and probably wouldn't have known she had it except she was tested as a close contact of my uncle's. Not sure if she gave it to him or if he gave it to her.)
-- My brother-in-law's sister's father-in-law died from it. (That relationship sounds more convoluted than it is. I did know the guy. It's my sister's husband's sister's husband's dad. He went from having symptoms, to ventilator, to dead within 48 hours. :( )
-- A former co-worker is currently dealing with it. He is 50-ish, worked out, etc. He was hospitalized, has pneumonia and apparently has strep on top of it. He's back home recovering now, but still having a pretty rough time, I guess.

Here’s the reality. It’s really easy to dismiss this virus because of the randomness of its virility. If you knew that your illness would be minor in scope, you wouldn‘t worry. Guess what? There is no way to know. So playing Russian roulette with your life and everyone else’s seems rather cavalier and irresponsible.

Google Chris Christie’s comments about the virus. He’s done a 180 after having the pleasure of dancing with it. He’s honest about balancing public responsibility with reopening. He advocates being responsible in an emerging reopening. Without responsibility, however, the situation can be scary.

This ain’t no dress rehearsal, ladies and gentleman.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/us/politics/chris-christie-face-masks-covid.html

First let me say that I’m relieved that he’s going to be ok. But then I’m going to say that we are what, 9 months in? If only we had all taken it seriously back in February.

It seems that one has to be near death to take this thing seriously. Sometimes I find that infuriating. There’s a difference between living in fear and taking precautions. I agree with him on that.

Based on a recent interview, Christie indicated that he always took precautions and always wore a mask until the Rose Garden event. He’s overweight and asthmatic. He took a risk thinking that he was protected by testing which is a snapshot in time. Nothing more, nothing less.

I totally agree with you concerning people’s’ attitudes about the virus until they are faced with life threatening complications. We never believe that it’s serious until it‘s at our door.

Based on a recent interview, Christie indicated that he always took precautions and always wore a mask until the Rose Garden event. He’s overweight and asthmatic. He took a risk thinking that he was protected by testing which is a snapshot in time. Nothing more, nothing less.

I totally agree with you concerning people’s’ attitudes about the virus until they are faced with life threatening complications. We never believe that it’s serious until it‘s at our door.

Agree, and I found the letter:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/7232312-Chris-Christie-Covid-19-Statement.html#document/p1

I'm a teacher and have a son in college as do most of my friends. I know a lot of college students who have had it but only knew because they had contact with someone who was positive and got the test. My son hasn't had to test, none of his close friends or contacts in class have been positive that he knows of.

I work in 2 schools and both have had students, teachers, and support staff with positives and there have been class and staff quarantines. No one at my schools have been very ill or had lasting effects - most I've heard of is low grade fever and headache for a few days. I work with kids and teachers all day so I've probably been exposed but just haven't had symptoms or a close contact more than 15 minutes without a mask that requires a test.

Several friends have had positive tests after having a relative, friend, or kid who had it but none have been sick.

My mom, brother and family, and in laws don't go out much and none have been positive.

Sorry but this is kind of ridiculous if you're painting with a broad brush. Not having had Covid does not immediately equal an inability to take it seriously. Has the poster you're quoting had Covid? If not, that doesn't seem to have impaired her/his ability to care about it.

Thankfully none of my family, parents, in-laws, nieces/nephews have have had it.

The closest person who I know that tested positive is my godson. He goes to UW-Madison, and 4 of his roommates tested positive. He had a mild sore throat for 2 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter