Has Disneyland gone downhill?

My last few trips have been 2020, 2016 and 2012, but growing up i went all the time with an annual pass and living in SoCal.

That being said I feel like Disneyland is better than ever. Does it cost more? Absolutely, but the value for my dollar has increased. Food is ten times what it was as a kid and so is ride quality and number of quality attractions. CA is loads more entertaining now compared with when it first opened as well.

Now I haven't held APs in years and don't go as often but have enjoyed my trips immensely as an adult. I have a trip planned later this year and will see how much Covid and current park leadership have changed things.

Hey, everybody, maybe don’t rip on the OP so much for writing ability. Not everybody is good at that, and that’s okay. Be kind, please.

I think everyone has a different idea of what the ideal Disneyland experience should be. Some people are nostalgic, others like the new additions. I’ve only been going since 2008. Personally, I like many of the updates and food offerings, different shows- I remember when Fantasmic was the big thing, but WOC is so amazing… CA is so much improved since the remodel and Carsland… there are so many more delicious food offerings for our dietary restrictions (my family is gluten-free).

That said— WOW, have crowds gotten worse, or what? There simply is no longer such thing as a slow time of year. The Disney nickel-and-diming thing has gotten worse, as FPS went to optional paid MaxPass and now paid-only Genie+, AND an additional up charge for LLs. Yikes. I can afford it, but many can’t, and it’s rough that it further stratifies the haves from the have-nots. Also I’ve definitely noticed the cleanliness and customer service decline. Part of that is due to the pandemic and difficulty in hiring; and part of THAT is that Disney doesn’t pay living wages.

So I guess it is what it is; but Disney certainly doesn’t seem to be hurting for guests, judging the recent crowds and wait times.

I've never been to DL so I can't make comparisons between then and now, but many of your examples seem to be that some DL attractions were closed or ended (like a parade, restaurant, or certain character opportunity) and replaced with a newer version of the same thing (a new parade, new restaurant, or new character opportunity). To my mind, this would only be considered going "downhill" if you preferred the older versions of the attractions.

I have 7-year-old, and he has no clue who Scrooge McDuck is. *I* don't even know who Darkwing Duck is, and I'm pushing 40. He would have no interest in seeing those older characters, and DL stagnating in that way rather than attracting the up-and-coming generation, would likely cause interest in the park to decline over time, especially as other theme parks tap into the current zeitgeist. As to parades and restaurants, this is the nature of entertainment. Movie theaters show new movies, Broadway shows new musicals, even my local theme park shuts down old rides and replaces them with the latest and greatest. Restaurants come and go in every city. In theory, it keeps people coming back and attracts new first-time visitors. DL seems plenty busy :)

It sounds like you really enjoyed the DL of your youth, and perhaps are feeling some nostalgia. I can certainly empathize with that. But it would be very risky for DL to stay entrenched in the past, thereby attracting only a small number of tourists who are attracted to revisiting their childhoods, even if those were some really great times.

Each to their own I suppose but I love that Disneyland changes with the times, tech changes, popular stuff changes, ppl as a whole change from one generation to the next.

Personally I'm so glad we have Big Thunder Mountain instead of The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, a ride which sounds unbelievably boring to me but I'm sure ppl at the time loved. My all time favorite fireworks is the Believe in holiday magic one, yet I also love the new holiday version with the castle projections.

If there were no new things to see I would not go as often as I do.

That said, there is something about nostalgia, thing is everyone has nostalgia for dif shows and attractions. Maybe there should be an 80's night event for example that has the obscure characters you mentioned. Lots of folks would love it.

I think she is referring to Potrock. I think we need more time to judge. This has been a rough period since he took over in May 2020. But I think hee deserves more time as this pandemic has been hard for everyone in the economy.
I was actually talking about Chapek, lol. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself better. His ascension to the helm of Disney has not, IMI, been a good thing for Disneyland. It has possibly been better for WDW, as they have been the recipients of much of the creative genius formerly in CA at DLR, but I personally don't feel that Chapek is a good choice unless your primary interest is maximizing profit. I'm dismayed at the apparent choice to focus on shareholder happiness over that of employees and park & hotel guests. l strongly believe that it is preferable for ALL parties if Disney does what is necessary to maintain and even increase DLR's profitability, but balance that with providing the stellar guest experience for which it's known. I believe the key is in that balance. I don't see Chapek as someone who recognizes the value of that.

I think that one of the main reasons why Disneyland is going downhill is not only have they done changes since the pandemic began and it's closure besides removing things that make Disneyland great such as full character meet and greets parades and shows is ever since Disneyland debuted Genie+ and the Lightning Lane system is the new rule is riding a ride only once and I remember when Disneyland would let you ride each ride twice but I think it could use some improvement because it used to be that rides were always free to ride twice. I think Disneyland is trying to copy Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk with this new ride rule and also I think they should bring the ride twice rule back. Because having to ride favorite rides twice was a special joy for my dad and me. Another thing that I think is responsible for Disneyland' going downhill is that they should lower the prices on snacks and food because I remember when you could get a small popcorn for real cheap but if you go to Disneyland and get any popcorn or ice cream bars or even churros you'll be shocked at how pricey they have become to buy and the same thing for nachos and hot dogs too. If Disneyland could improve these things they would not go downhill anymore

I was actually talking about Chapek, lol. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself better. His ascension to the helm of Disney has not, IMI, been a good thing for Disneyland. It has possibly been better for WDW, as they have been the recipients of much of the creative genius formerly in CA at DLR, but I personally don't feel that Chapek is a good choice unless your primary interest is maximizing profit. I'm dismayed at the apparent choice to focus on shareholder happiness over that of employees and park & hotel guests. l strongly believe that it is preferable for ALL parties if Disney does what is necessary to maintain and even increase DLR's profitability, but balance that with providing the stellar guest experience for which it's known. I believe the key is in that balance. I don't see Chapek as someone who recognizes the value of that.

I'm loving the stock performance (I have DRIP accounts for the kids and I bought at like $90/share in my mad money-esque brokerage account), but those foolios need to redeclare their dividend that they suspended because of COVID.

That said, there is something about nostalgia, thing is everyone has nostalgia for dif shows and attractions. Maybe there should be an 80's night event for example that has the obscure characters you mentioned. Lots of folks would love it.

Genius. Pure Genius. Coming from one who remembers Darkwing Dark, but was never a fan. I, however, can (and do!) frequently uh, “sing” the Intro to the Adventures of the Gummy Bears at a volume which makes my ‘doodle run for the hills…and don’t get me started on DuckTales, WOO-OO!!!

Yeah, DH and I would fly in for such a 90s throwback night. No kiddos necessary, cause they wouldn’t know any character we’d be dying to see!

To echo many who have posted, change is necessary to keep the parks vibrant and relevant. And while I think it would be a great event night to showcase the characters I remember fondly, when I spend money at the parks these days, it’s for the characters my KIDS want to see, not me.

That said, it’s really a brilliant idea. Disney After Dark “Disney Afternoon” Throwback Event. Honestly, tell me that wouldn’t sell?! ;)

I mean when I was little everything cost tickets and I don't like that. I am sad that Riverbelle Terrace is not doing breakfast still. But there are some amazing rides now. Am I thrilled at 100% of the choices? No. Do I wish CMs still got competitive pay like they used to a long time ago? Yes, they are the magic.

I remember when Disneyland would let you ride each ride twice but I think it could use some improvement because it used to be that rides were always free to ride twice.
You may be misremembering things. With regular FP and MaxPass, you could ride FP rides multiple times, if there were FP available. With MaxPass, you could only get an additional ride once you had used your original FP. MaxPass was not free though.

Currently, you can ride rides as many times as you wish to stand in line for.

I think that one of the main reasons why Disneyland is going downhill is not only have they done changes since the pandemic began and it's closure besides removing things that make Disneyland great such as full character meet and greets parades and shows is ever since Disneyland debuted Genie+ and the Lightning Lane system is the new rule is riding a ride only once and I remember when Disneyland would let you ride each ride twice but I think it could use some improvement because it used to be that rides were always free to ride twice. I think Disneyland is trying to copy Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk with this new ride rule and also I think they should bring the ride twice rule back. Because having to ride favorite rides twice was a special joy for my dad and me. Another thing that I think is responsible for Disneyland' going downhill is that they should lower the prices on snacks and food because I remember when you could get a small popcorn for real cheap but if you go to Disneyland and get any popcorn or ice cream bars or even churros you'll be shocked at how pricey they have become to buy and the same thing for nachos and hot dogs too. If Disneyland could improve these things they would not go downhill anymore

There are no rules about how many times you can ride a ride. Every ride has a standby line and you can get in it all day long over and over if you feel like it. Nothing has changed in this respect.

Food prices are up everywhere, on everything. It's called inflation. Its not a sign of anything going downhill. It's a sign of a healthy economy.

DL and DCA itself have not gone downhill. Sure, they can stand to improve ride malfunctions (half of DL went down last time I visited for about 20-30 minutes) but I can easily overlook things if the way it handled is done properly.

And there lies the problem.

What I am frustrated with is the management style. I am not blaming frontline workers as I have said before they can only do what upper management dictates and exemplifies. Disney always stood to me as outstanding customer service, but as it currently stands I think it is going downhill. It isn't the upper echelon it used to be. My feeling is that they don't care if you aren't happy, they have your money and enough people are coming in so if you don't like, don't come. Ok, fair enough.

But with doing that they are alienating the repeat visitor that is the catalyst for telling family/friends how to do Disney. Case in point, if anyone asked me right now how to do Disney, I would tell them not to go. (Please don't waste your time telling me I am wrong. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it as you are yours. Thank you.) I am just at a "we need a break" phase with Disney. Will I return again? 100% yes. Will it be anytime in 2022? Likely, no. I have reached my point with frustrations and for the price point, personally Disney isn't for me right now. Which is heartbreaking to say as I want to love it like I did.

I know my feelings aren't completely solo. Pete Werner has said it himself how he is stunned at how things are being handled at the parks. It just isn't Disney.

Last edited:
Genius. Pure Genius. Coming from one who remembers Darkwing Dark, but was never a fan. I, however, can (and do!) frequently uh, “sing” the Intro to the Adventures of the Gummy Bears at a volume which makes my ‘doodle run for the hills…and don’t get me started on DuckTales, WOO-OO!!!

Yeah, DH and I would fly in for such a 90s throwback night. No kiddos necessary, cause they wouldn’t know any character we’d be dying to see!

To echo many who have posted, change is necessary to keep the parks vibrant and relevant. And while I think it would be a great event night to showcase the characters I remember fondly, when I spend money at the parks these days, it’s for the characters my KIDS want to see, not me.

That said, it’s really a brilliant idea. Disney After Dark “Disney Afternoon” Throwback Event. Honestly, tell me that wouldn’t sell?! ;)

they did that very thing a few years ago before the pandemic. There was a 60s night, a 70s night, an 80s one, 90s. Each of those events totally sold out. It was very popular.

They have had throw back events during regular days also. A few years back (before Star Wars Land) they had an event where they had different characters out in the area where they had Festival of Fools. I believe it lasted a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter