Have a surprise, short notice trip. Which resort would be best for us, given these factors?

With these factors, which resort do you think would be best for us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ducky'sMom

Mom to a smol bean and a spicy potato <3
It’s myself, my husband, our 13yo and almost 2yo. We’re going to be there 6 days/7 nights. My husband will be attending a convention during the day at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes for 3 days and joining us for 2-3 park days, and me and the kids will likely do a rest day in the middle of our stay while hubby is at his conference.

We’ve narrowed it down to these options based on budget, availability, commute for hubby, and some preference. Stay is from 08/19-08/26, and I won’t have the car and have to rely on Disney transport. I didn’t choose the views-- they were the cheapest option at each resort. These are room only amounts based off available discounts.

1.) Coronado Springs, Standard Room - $1686.60
  • Cheapest option, 20-30 mins to conference
  • Only bus option, has internal loop

2.) Port Orleans French Quarter*, Garden View - $1806.30
  • Small resort so only 1 bus stop, 20-25 mins to conference
  • Has DS boat, great pool/kiddie area
  • Though theme is just ‘home’ for me, it’s interesting to my husband & 13yo

3.) Caribbean Beach, Preferred Room – $2580.87
  • 20-25 mins to conference
  • Skyliner hub, close to Riviera for extra food options
  • Big resort with internal bus loop

4.) Art of Animation, Cars or Lion King Suite - $2997
  • Possibly shortest commute, 15-20 mins to conference
  • Skyliner + only 1 bus stop
  • Only option for 2 bathrooms and separate sleeping space for teen
  • Also only kitchenette
  • “Okay” pool because no slide (13yo’s words not mine!)

5.) Contemporary, Garden Wing - $3004.66
  • Possibly longest commute, 20-35 mins to conference
  • Monorail, bus, plus WALK TO MK
  • Most expensive option, won’t be fully reimbursed by husband’s company
  • Might not use deluxe extra hours due to dates
  • Least impressive pool area

*Riverside was excluded as the theme is also “home” and I wasn’t impressed by the kiddie area for my toddler.

Personally I wouldn’t stay at Coronado without a car. Plus with the Tower we found the pool packed! There are just too many rooms there now.
The Contemporary would be my choice because of location(our favorite area is the Epcot resort area though) and ease of monorail to 2 parks. With kids ,being alone I would really consider the travel time.
Number 2 would be Port. Caribbean beach is so big it’s a lot of walking. That is also the resort that I opened the door to my room to see a maintenance guy sitting on the bed watching tv. So that one is not my favorite.

I think it depends your park preference. If you will be spending most of your time at MK contemporary is the way to go.
HS and Epcot then go with CBR or AOA.
I really liked Coronado as an adult, with kids I'm less inclined to go that route. Can't really speak to pros and cons of POFQ but if you intend on a lot of time at dis springs that night be a good option.

We stayed at CBR in a preferred room last summer and enjoyed it for the most part. I am inclined to return there when my kids are older the sheer size of the hotel is a lot for younger kids but it had a fun theme and the skyliner was great! Will warn though, we had booked a standard room there and got "upgraded" to preferred which put us close to the lobby but quite far from the skyliner.
Another item to consider is how much do your kids tolerate being close together? If they need their own space especially considering the age difference AOA may be your best bet especially in terms of down time.

Personally I would go contemporary or AOA given those factors. Contemporary will offer a lot in the way of convenience for parks and food options. AOA will give space and access to the skyliner which is pretty cool in and of itself.

I voted for AoA because it has more space in case your younger one needs a nap or a break but the older one doesn’t. We are a family of 4 and we like having space for all of us, especially because Disney in August is hot and tiring (for us anyway).

If money is not a consideration, a Cars Suite at AoA. The theming there will impress even a 13 year old, despite the resort pool doesn’t have a slide. The splash pad and pool areas are great for a 2 yo. With a 2 and 13 yo as a single parent for a few days, the extra space and option to have the microwave in the room will help your sanity. I think CR is likely a full 15 minutes farther away for your hubby.

Also for that long, think about some meals in the room or at least having favorite snacks. Many teens moods can improve dramatically with the simple act of heating up their favorite snack in the microwave!

Coronado Springs is a nice resort and has a great pool slide for your teen. You can't beat it for the price. :)

POFQ would be my second choice. But you might want to consider PO Riverside, if available. We really like that resort.

Everything other than contemporary will be fully reimbursed? If you pick one of the cheaper options, can you pocket the difference?

How much out of pocket do you end up with Contemporary?

How much time will you spend at the pool? If you will be at the pool frequently, give your 13 year old a slide. I know it is a BIG deal for DD. At POFQ you can use the POR pool, which has a better slide than the POFQ pool. Does Contemporary pool have a slide? Something to consider, too, due to its proximity to MK, especially with a 2 year old. Have fun!

I love POFQ. If I don't stay at a deluxe I stay here. Buses have always been good for me and I like the boat to DS. No bad rooms, everything is close by. You can walk over to POR if you want to use their food court but we are fine with the one at POFQ. Lush and shady walkways and lots of little lizards for the kids to watch.

I would also rather depend on buses vs skyliner for your time frame of late August which will probably have daily thunderstorms (they will shut down skyliner and redirect you).

Last edited:
Everything other than contemporary will be fully reimbursed? If you pick one of the cheaper options, can you pocket the difference?

How much out of pocket do you end up with Contemporary?
It's actually $400/night, so I think AoA might be over too once taxes are included. We don't get to keep the difference as it's more of a we pay then submit receipts and they'll cover up to that amount. It'd be a bit over $200 for the stay that we'd have to pay if go with Contemporary.

would also rather depend on buses vs skyliner for your time frame of late August which will probably have daily thunderstorms (they will shut down skyliner and redirect you).
Ooo, I didn't think about that. It's definitely something to consider!

So I voted for POFQ, however, my top choices based on what you've shared would be any of your top 3- POFQ, CSR and CBR.....in that order. I think my answer might change as it would also be dependent on which parks you'll be visiting the most (Epcot area or MK/AK) and what your teen might enjoy. If you don't plan to visit DHS and Epcot, then there's no major benefit for CBR over CSR or POFQ. However, CBR is not any nicer/newer/better than CSR and POFQ and I would not pay $370/nt to stay there. Again, the skyliner is nice but not at that price point.

Some considerations----
Not having a car is doable at any of these resorts, however the sheer number of bus stops at CBR is 7/8 and gets old after a while. POR and POFQ do sometimes share a bus so POFQ could be piggybacking on POR buses. Just depends. However, POR has fewer stops than CBR. BUT and a big but, the skyliner is a great benefit if you'll be at DHS/Epcot.

I am not in love with CR and do think the pool is sort of blah. I like it for posterity of being original to MK but it's not our favorite. My kids, girls ages 15 and 13, love Port Orleans, that's their favorite resort and has been for years. The boat ride to Disney Springs is a nice perk too and staying at POFQ, you can also use the POR pool, so two pools for one.

I would cross off the CR unless you'll be spending most of your time at the MK for convenience. I would only consider AofA if your teen would like her own space and really take advantage of the extra bath. That could be a nice perk and if you know you'd use the kitchenette. Otherwise, I find the suites to be spacious which is great if someone wants to nap when everyone's in the room, but they're sterile and not as comfortable as the other resorts.

I would also rather depend on buses vs skyliner for your time frame of late August which will probably have daily thunderstorms (they will shut down skyliner and redirect you).
This is a great tip. When we've stayed at CBR and other skyliner resorts in August, it's inevitable and it's not a matter of IF the skyliner goes down, but it's just WHEN and how long will it take to get buses going. When we were there last summer and the summer of Aug 2020, post resort reopening after COVID, it takes a good amount of time to get buses running/reassigned to these parks. Part of it is Disney being short staffed and the other part of it, is that these storms crop up pretty quick. Even though it's daily, you'd think they'd have buses on standby, but they don't. Hopefully it's gotten better but all in all, I think CBR has the worst bus situation given it's so many stops anyway.

btw a Disney + subscription is $80 for a year and Chase Visa currently has an offer for 20% off (not sure if everyone gets this offer). Or you could just get a monthly subscription and cancel since you are going pretty soon anyway. Once you sign up, it shows right away on your Disney account. Use the same email and pw for both to link.

CB would be my last choice. We've stayed twice and had issues with both stays. I know people love it so no disrespect. CR would be my first choice. I know some dislike the garden rooms but we've always found them peaceful and nothing is more special than walking to MK.

So I voted for POFQ, however, my top choices based on what you've shared would be any of your top 3- POFQ, CSR and CBR.....in that order. I think my answer might change as it would also be dependent on which parks you'll be visiting the most (Epcot area or MK/AK) and what your teen might enjoy. If you don't plan to visit DHS and Epcot, then there's no major benefit for CBR over CSR or POFQ. However, CBR is not any nicer/newer/better than CSR and POFQ and I would not pay $370/nt to stay there. Again, the skyliner is nice but not at that price point.

Some considerations----
Not having a car is doable at any of these resorts, however the sheer number of bus stops at CBR is 7/8 and gets old after a while. POR and POFQ do sometimes share a bus so POFQ could be piggybacking on POR buses. Just depends. However, POR has fewer stops than CBR. BUT and a big but, the skyliner is a great benefit if you'll be at DHS/Epcot.

I am not in love with CR and do think the pool is sort of blah. I like it for posterity of being original to MK but it's not our favorite. My kids, girls ages 15 and 13, love Port Orleans, that's their favorite resort and has been for years. The boat ride to Disney Springs is a nice perk too and staying at POFQ, you can also use the POR pool, so two pools for one.

I would cross off the CR unless you'll be spending most of your time at the MK for convenience. I would only consider AofA if your teen would like her own space and really take advantage of the extra bath. That could be a nice perk and if you know you'd use the kitchenette. Otherwise, I find the suites to be spacious which is great if someone wants to nap when everyone's in the room, but they're sterile and not as comfortable as the other resorts.
Thank for your thorough reply! Yes, I talked to my husband this morning and we're leaning away from Contemporary because we're more Epcot people (it's my teen's favorite). We're between AoA and POFQ right now, so I'm really appreciating everyone's input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter