Have any Italy ABDs happened since 2020?

We did the Italy trip before the pandemic in 2019. While it’s an incredible trip that they put together very well, you really could just do those things on your own with a good Travel Agent and by booking some VIP tours on your own. I really don’t think there was anything in the trip that you couldn’t do on your own. Maybe the day at the farm? Of course part of the appeal with any ABD is that the planning is seamless. But I think for the price you pay, you might be able to stay at some better hotels and get the same experiences.

I don’t know that I would pass up going to Italy because ABD cancelled. We are planning a trip on our own to UK in March and it’s Level 4 too…

Last edited:
We’re booked for June 2022. Just read a Dec 21, 2021 post from ABD that the tour group will be split into pods. Maybe if someone in another pod gets sick we could still continue with the tour?
Hi NYLibrarian,

I saw in your post that you are planning for a June 2022 Italy ABD tour and wanted to reach out to connect and see if we are booked on the same trip. My husband, daughter and I will be (hopefully/fingers-crossed) on the June 3 Italy tour (Rome, Florence, Venice). :)

Well this is concerning. A person I talked with online (Disney fan) is on the Italy May trip and she has sent ABD a list of questions for dealing with covid, what will ABD do with a person who tests positive during the trip, how the green vaccine passport will work, etc. She has gotten no response for ABD and she has sent her questions twice. :/ When I spoke to ABD last week she assured me they were all ready to go. I don't know what to think any more. ABD also asked for my train information from Venice to Rome on the last day. I told my TA I am not buying train tickets yet until I am told this trip is a go from ABD. I am just so confused.

In other news. I have a good friend who is from Spain, but an American Citizen now. She goes all the time to visit family. Was just there last week. She said to read the emails Delta air lines sent about Covid. They use an app by Abbott you sign up with. You buy a international flight approved rapid test kit. Link it with the app. Day before reentrance into the USA you get on the app and do your rapid test (a person watched you live on the app do the test). Your negative results are uploaded and you are cleared to fly back into the USA, so no need to find a doctor or pharmacy in Europe. Spain was BAD last week for Covid. But she said it is still what it is, just more mask rules and vaccine rules. But people are living their life like we are in the USA. She did say the hospitals are not as over packed like USA.

Well my TA called Italy April 5-12 is not going. :( Well we will try 2023 or 2024. We decided with the other couple going with us we want to let some trips to Italy run before we commit to ABD again. Luckily Delta Air Lines gave me an ecredit good till the end of 2023. I took the refund, the offer to rebook was low compensation and just not worth it to be locked into another reservation which would hold my money again. :(

Well my TA called Italy April 5-12 is not going. :( Well we will try 2023 or 2024. We decided with the other couple going with us we want to let some trips to Italy run before we commit to ABD again. Luckily Delta Air Lines gave me an ecredit good till the end of 2023. I took the refund, the offer to rebook was low compensation and just not worth it to be locked into another reservation which would hold my money again. :(

I agree on waiting till 2023 maybe by then ABD will get their act together. Hard for me to say this as I have enjoyed ABD in the past but they have lost the great customer service. Disney use to find ways to make magic happen now they just make excuses.

Im all for ABD doing a Hawaii Island Hopper Tour

I agree on waiting till 2023 maybe by then ABD will get their act together. Hard for me to say this as I have enjoyed ABD in the past but they have lost the great customer service. Disney use to find ways to make magic happen now they just make excuses.

Im all for ABD doing a Hawaii Island Hopper Tour

I wouldn't say no to a Hawaii ABD either - especially if it included travel to some of the less frequently visited islands. Maybe some day.

UK just got rid of post arrival testing for all vaccinated passengers. Also a couple of weeks ago got rid of pre-arrival testing. Looks like they're moving on! Might be good idea for ABD to do a purely UK trip bc I don't know what the situation in France is.

Saw that UK is changing its entry/travel requirements on 11 FEB 22 but France is requiring negative PCR 24 hours prior. A negative PCR within 24 hours is not something easy to get done.

Saw that UK is changing its entry/travel requirements on 11 FEB 22 but France is requiring negative PCR 24 hours prior. A negative PCR within 24 hours is not something easy to get done.
Honestly, I'd still like to know what ABD would do if someone was OK for the UK portion of the trip, and then tested positive before heading to France. They can't bring them with them, are they just going to abandon them in the UK? It's one thing to say you're on your own after the ABD is over, but what about 1/2 way through?

Sayhello

Honestly, I'd still like to know what ABD would do if someone was OK for the UK portion of the trip, and then tested positive before heading to France. They can't bring them with them, are they just going to abandon them in the UK? It's one thing to say you're on your own after the ABD is over, but what about 1/2 way through?

Sayhello
The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) section of the Adventure Travel Agreement seems to cover this - if the traveler is deemed not fit to continue travel, their adventure is deemed complete, & cannot continue. The traveler is expected to have medical insurance that includes coverage for any quarantine or else agrees to assume costs for such.

CFD02826-901D-48BE-8E0C-09BBB3E35463.jpeg

Can’t say what they might do in any actual adventure situation but it is spelled out pretty clearly to me that the affected travelers are on their own. And I for one don’t have a problem with this - I don’t think it should be expected of any travel provider, including AbD, to have to figure out on the fly any next steps, quarantine or travel options for an individual Covid situation. That could severely impact the rest of the tour participants.

The references to the third party engaged by Disney to determine fitness to continue travel is the telehealth medical consultation which is used to assess the participants; this is and has been all part the Guest Health and Safety Protocols sincear least last summer.

https://www.adventuresbydisney.com/important-updates/

Well I booked a four day girls trip to Savannah, GA for me and the twincesses. They are tweens and big into history and luxury! LOL So instead of Italy that week, my husband is going to stay home and watch the puppies and us three girls enjoy a few days at a nice hotel, history trolly rides, some fort tours, ghost tours, and all the southern seafood! :) They are excited. It was going to be a week with the grandparents while I went to Italy with my husband. Make the best of it :)

The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) section of the Adventure Travel Agreement seems to cover this - if the traveler is deemed not fit to continue travel, their adventure is deemed complete, & cannot continue. The traveler is expected to have medical insurance that includes coverage for any quarantine or else agrees to assume costs for such.

View attachment 641773

Can’t say what they might do in any actual adventure situation but it is spelled out pretty clearly to me that the affected travelers are on their own. And I for one don’t have a problem with this - I don’t think it should be expected of any travel provider, including AbD, to have to figure out on the fly any next steps, quarantine or travel options for an individual Covid situation. That could severely impact the rest of the tour participants.

The references to the third party engaged by Disney to determine fitness to continue travel is the telehealth medical consultation which is used to assess the participants; this is and has been all part the Guest Health and Safety Protocols sincear least last summer.

Listen, I have never done an ABD before. This was going to be our first. But I have traveled a lot as my husband and I are airline employee kids. A lot of people signed up for trips prior covid. And for the past two years have "moved their money around". A lot has changed about covid and expectations of how the vaccines work to how to get back home and vaccine pass rules (see Italy's current booster mess, which headlines coming out Italy tourism board is freaking out and asking the Prime Minister to change). I disagree with your statement, it can't be on ABD to help you. A lot of higher end travel companies have "pivoted" many resorts and luxury travel groups have a "hey if you test positive, we have a back up plan, here it is" from having VRBOs on stand by in cities to isolate in (for an extra charge, but better than the government isolation "hotel"/prison) to testing companies that come to your hotel and do the rapid testing before your flight home. When I asked ABD what they are doing except the upload to clear to travel from tests I myself arranged, I got few answers. DCL has been upfront with a Q and A on their website exactly how they operate, testing, exposure, etc. ABD has little if none except "you know covid is contagious, so you are on your own" and vaccines, masks, and pods. I can do Italy for much cheaper, people are paying Disney top dollar for high end services. If other travel companies and resorts are sending out things to their customers on "extra safety services" I really think ABD needs to do the same to compete beyond pods, masks, and vaccines. That is my two cents. Again, I know people are LOYAL to ABD and love them. We haven't taken one YET! But I just notice in research of other places and high end travel, calming nerves is paramount with up front plans and communication. Not asking ABD to make everything perfect, roses, and magical. Everyone knows the risks. It is just concerning basic safety questions I got little to no response to. I have planned a DCL cruise and an ABD at the same time, it is night and day on communication and testing help, and the bad one is ABD, which really has rubbed me the wrong way as a first time customer. Maybe they know they are going to cancel and that is why they aren't concerning themselves.........who knows.

The reason I wasn't thrilled with the covid agreement/ABD's handling of it was that, at least in our particular case, we felt strong-armed into agreeing to it. I'll explain -

We booked a Sept 2020 trip to Egypt just about two years ago, before covid was a pandemic and before most of us in the US realized how serious this was going to get (I was living in Manhattan, and we eventually had front row seats to the initial unfurling of Covid-19 in the city, but I digress). We paid our deposits, paid for vacation protection with ABD, pre- and post- days, and airfare, all through ABD. Why did I book airfare with them so early? When I asked the Vacationista, she urged us to book "ASAP" as "prices could go way, way up once we hit the 6-months-out-mark"). All told, this came out to about $10,000.

In June of 2020, we were given the option to rebook. We took it, and booked an Egypt trip in Feb 2022 (now cancelled). In mid-2021, it came time to sign the covid waiver/covid agreement. We weren't comfortable the terms. This isn't really a judgment on whether or not the terms were reasonable, but in our case, we weren't comfortable with the terms they laid out.

We spoke to a Supervisor seeking a refund of the money we'd already given them as we weren't comfortable with the terms. Our deposits were refundable, but none of the other thousands of dollars were (so, most of it since the bulk was airfare). I pointed out that we felt pushed into agreeing since we had originally paid the majority of our already-spent-money prior to the pandemic, and prior to these new terms being introduced. I was essentially told "too bad, we can change the terms any time we like. If you don't sign, you can't travel and will lose your money".

I'm aware they CAN change the terms any time they want, but it just felt... gross to us. We signed because we didn't want to lose 5-figures of already spent cash. We paid in full when the time came. And when they cancelled, this experience was part of why we opted for a refund rather than a rebooking.

This doesn't describe ALL the issues we had with them (like the time they tried to say we hadn't bought a cancel-for-any-reason add on when we had - thankfully that was resolved after a day of calls), but the handling and implementation of the covid agreement was a sore spot for our particular case.

Listen, I have never done an ABD before. This was going to be our first. But I have traveled a lot as my husband and I are airline employee kids. A lot of people signed up for trips prior covid. And for the past two years have "moved their money around". A lot has changed about covid and expectations of how the vaccines work to how to get back home and vaccine pass rules (see Italy's current booster mess, which headlines coming out Italy tourism board is freaking out and asking the Prime Minister to change). I disagree with your statement, it can't be on ABD to help you. A lot of higher end travel companies have "pivoted" many resorts and luxury travel groups have a "hey if you test positive, we have a back up plan, here it is" from having VRBOs on stand by in cities to isolate in (for an extra charge, but better than the government isolation "hotel"/prison) to testing companies that come to your hotel and do the rapid testing before your flight home. When I asked ABD what they are doing except the upload to clear to travel from tests I myself arranged, I got few answers. DCL has been upfront with a Q and A on their website exactly how they operate, testing, exposure, etc. ABD has little if none except "you know covid is contagious, so you are on your own" and vaccines, masks, and pods. I can do Italy for much cheaper, people are paying Disney top dollar for high end services. If other travel companies and resorts are sending out things to their customers on "extra safety services" I really think ABD needs to do the same to compete beyond pods, masks, and vaccines. That is my two cents. Again, I know people are LOYAL to ABD and love them. We haven't taken one YET! But I just notice in research of other places and high end travel, calming nerves is paramount with up front plans and communication. Not asking ABD to make everything perfect, roses, and magical. Everyone knows the risks. It is just concerning basic safety questions I got little to no response to. I have planned a DCL cruise and an ABD at the same time, it is night and day on communication and testing help, and the bad one is ABD, which really has rubbed me the wrong way as a first time customer. Maybe they know they are going to cancel and that is why they aren't concerning themselves.........who knows.
I 100% agree. If ABD is going to position themselves as a high-end/luxury product, they need to act like it. I've mentioned this before, but I was signed up for a Base Camp hike to Everest in October of 2020. I'd put down a deposit and the trip was over $10k. When the pandemic hit, the company (Stanford Alumni travel through another provider), immediately gave me the option of getting my deposit back or waiting to see how it would look after a few months. I could get my deposit back at ANY time I wanted. When it became obvious this trip wasn't going (about 6 months ahead!) they immediately issued a refund without asking and told me I'd be on a preference list for the next trip. That is the level of customer service I expect. Not this holding of your money and keeping your feet over the fire until last minute decisions are made.

The reason I wasn't thrilled with the covid agreement/ABD's handling of it was that, at least in our particular case, we felt strong-armed into agreeing to it. I'll explain -

We booked a Sept 2020 trip to Egypt just about two years ago, before covid was a pandemic and before most of us in the US realized how serious this was going to get (I was living in Manhattan, and we eventually had front row seats to the initial unfurling of Covid-19 in the city, but I digress). We paid our deposits, paid for vacation protection with ABD, pre- and post- days, and airfare, all through ABD. Why did I book airfare with them so early? When I asked the Vacationista, she urged us to book "ASAP" as "prices could go way, way up once we hit the 6-months-out-mark"). All told, this came out to about $10,000.

In June of 2020, we were given the option to rebook. We took it, and booked an Egypt trip in Feb 2022 (now cancelled). In mid-2021, it came time to sign the covid waiver/covid agreement. We weren't comfortable the terms. This isn't really a judgment on whether or not the terms were reasonable, but in our case, we weren't comfortable with the terms they laid out.

We spoke to a Supervisor seeking a refund of the money we'd already given them as we weren't comfortable with the terms. Our deposits were refundable, but none of the other thousands of dollars were (so, most of it since the bulk was airfare). I pointed out that we felt pushed into agreeing since we had originally paid the majority of our already-spent-money prior to the pandemic, and prior to these new terms being introduced. I was essentially told "too bad, we can change the terms any time we like. If you don't sign, you can't travel and will lose your money".

I'm aware they CAN change the terms any time they want, but it just felt... gross to us. We signed because we didn't want to lose 5-figures of already spent cash. We paid in full when the time came. And when they cancelled, this experience was part of why we opted for a refund rather than a rebooking.

This doesn't describe ALL the issues we had with them (like the time they tried to say we hadn't bought a cancel-for-any-reason add on when we had - thankfully that was resolved after a day of calls), but the handling and implementation of the covid agreement was a sore spot for our particular case.
Wow, this is horrible. The more I hear about ABD's actions during this pandemic, the more I'm sure I will never travel with them again. Very sad. I used to be ABD's biggest cheerleader around here.

I 100% agree. If ABD is going to position themselves as a high-end/luxury product, they need to act like it. I've mentioned this before, but I was signed up for a Base Camp hike to Everest in October of 2020. I'd put down a deposit and the trip was over $10k. When the pandemic hit, the company (Stanford Alumni travel through another provider), immediately gave me the option of getting my deposit back or waiting to see how it would look after a few months. I could get my deposit back at ANY time I wanted. When it became obvious this trip wasn't going (about 6 months ahead!) they immediately issued a refund without asking and told me I'd be on a preference list for the next trip. That is the level of customer service I expect. Not this holding of your money and keeping your feet over the fire until last minute decisions are made.

Wow, this is horrible. The more I hear about ABD's actions during this pandemic, the more I'm sure I will never travel with them again. Very sad. I used to be ABD's biggest cheerleader around here.

Totally agree that, from what others were saying, other travel companies handled things with much greater flexibility and that added to our frustration. This was our first attempt at taking an ABD, and we're reflecting on whether we want to try again or not given the experiences we had.

View attachment 641773

Serious question - where is The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) section of the Adventure Travel Agreement ?
We have 3 Adventures booked.
I've checked all of our Travel Agreements and can't find this.

Welp, you are right. I forgot about that in the Travel Agreement. Since I'm only going domestically, I guess it didn't register like it should have. They do have themselves covered. Whether that's really how they should be handling this sort of thing, given the price point and the way they present and advertise themselves, I have to think, like the others, that's a big, fat no.
I agree with you. ABD is really no longer providing the high-end customer service that they are charging for. It's a shame, because I'm sure the Adventure Guides would do everything they possibly can for you, but it's limited by what ABD will allow them to do. :(

It *is* sad. Extremely sad. The folks at the top of ABD are just running this company into the ground. If they didn't have the backing of the Disney corporation, I think it's likely they'd be out of business at this point.
Totally agree that, from what others were saying, other travel companies handled things with much greater flexibility and that added to our frustration. This was our first attempt at taking an ABD, and we're reflecting on whether we want to try again or not given the experiences we had.
I can understand that. It's too bad you didn't experience ABD back in their heyday.
Serious question - where is The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) section of the Adventure Travel Agreement ?
We have 3 Adventures booked.
I've checked all of our Travel Agreements and can't find this.
In my Adventure Travel Agreement, it's right after the Photo/Video Release paragraph, on page 4 out of 9.

Sayhello

In my Adventure Travel Agreement, it's right after the Photo/Video Release paragraph, on page 4 out of 9.

Sayhello

I'm curious about the date of your Travel Agreement.

I say this because, I have 3 Travel Agreements, all signed in Spring of 2021, for travel in 2022 and 2023. None of these have the The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) .
I confirmed with my Travel Advisor (just in case I forgot how to read, ha!)

I also have a 4th Travel Agreement, which was a change to an existing Adventure for 2022. The original Travel Agreement from Spring of 2021 did NOT have the waiver. The new one, signed in December 2021, does. I followed up on this with my Travel Agent. She said "this is new. Disney added it a few months ago."

All this to say that, the The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) is not something that all guests will have agreed to. I just checked with 2 fellow travelers on one of our 2022 Adventures. Their Travel Agreements also do not contain The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) .

But, even without The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) waiver, the truth is that when in a different country we are under their laws. Italy's are very very strict. And, if one of us tested positive or was even just a close contact - their laws are very different than the US - and will require quarantine which is either directly or indirectly supervised. And, even without the waiver, Disney could just wash their hands of it, and in effect, abandon us.

Beyond Travel Agreements though - ABD promotes itself as a premium, turn-key product. Being told by the vacationista, as I was when I inquired last week how Disney would assist us if we tested positive at the conclusion of the ABD and could not return to the US, that they DON'T DO ANYTHING and they HAVE NO CONTINGENCIES of where we could shelter and that I need to contact the hotel (that ABD arranged) to find out if they will allow us to stay there, is in no way premium or turn key. PS, I did email the Brunelleschi Florence and they will NOT allow us to quarantine there.

There are ethics involved and a reputation to maintain. These trips are marketed as multi-generational trips. I wonder how Disney's reputation will fare as soon as a child tests positive (doesn't even have to get sick, just test positive) or is a close contact, and Disney's response is to abandon them in a foreign country. And that person sits in a foreign government run facility for 21 days, under guard.

Even if Italy ends it 6 month booster law, there is still the issue of quarantining for minimum of 10 days, maximum of 21. With no assistance from Disney, I'm now scrambling to find accommodations in either Florence or Rome, in case this happens on our Italy ABD. Interesting side note - as part of my research (again, whatever happened to turn-key?), I am finding out that it may actually be less expensive to cancel our Italy Adventures with ABD, lose our deposits, and re-book with another "luxury" group that is much more flexible, communicative, knowledgeable, and WILL assist us with a quarantine contingency plan.

I'm curious about the date of your Travel Agreement.

I say this because, I have 3 Travel Agreements, all signed in Spring of 2021, for travel in 2022 and 2023. None of these have the The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) .
I confirmed with my Travel Advisor (just in case I forgot how to read, ha!)

I also have a 4th Travel Agreement, which was a change to an existing Adventure for 2022. The original Travel Agreement from Spring of 2021 did NOT have the waiver. The new one, signed in December 2021, does. I followed up on this with my Travel Agent. She said "this is new. Disney added it a few months ago."

All this to say that, the The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) is not something that all guests will have agreed to. I just checked with 2 fellow travelers on one of our 2022 Adventures. Their Travel Agreements also do not contain The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) .

But, even without The Assumption of Risk (Covid-19) waiver, the truth is that when in a different country we are under their laws. Italy's are very very strict. And, if one of us tested positive or was even just a close contact - their laws are very different than the US - and will require quarantine which is either directly or indirectly supervised. And, even without the waiver, Disney could just wash their hands of it, and in effect, abandon us.

Beyond Travel Agreements though - ABD promotes itself as a premium, turn-key product. Being told by the vacationista, as I was when I inquired last week how Disney would assist us if we tested positive at the conclusion of the ABD and could not return to the US, that they DON'T DO ANYTHING and they HAVE NO CONTINGENCIES of where we could shelter and that I need to contact the hotel (that ABD arranged) to find out if they will allow us to stay there, is in no way premium or turn key. PS, I did email the Brunelleschi Florence and they will NOT allow us to quarantine there.

There are ethics involved and a reputation to maintain. These trips are marketed as multi-generational trips. I wonder how Disney's reputation will fare as soon as a child tests positive (doesn't even have to get sick, just test positive) or is a close contact, and Disney's response is to abandon them in a foreign country. And that person sits in a foreign government run facility for 21 days, under guard.

Even if Italy ends it 6 month booster law, there is still the issue of quarantining for minimum of 10 days, maximum of 21. With no assistance from Disney, I'm now scrambling to find accommodations in either Florence or Rome, in case this happens on our Italy ABD. Interesting side note - as part of my research (again, whatever happened to turn-key?), I am finding out that it may actually be less expensive to cancel our Italy Adventures with ABD, lose our deposits, and re-book with another "luxury" group that is much more flexible, communicative, knowledgeable, and WILL assist us with a quarantine contingency plan.
I have no argument with anything you've said.

My Adventure Travel Agreement is dated 6/8/2021.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter