Have we reached the saturation point?

1. For me, I think the largest factor preventing me from doing more runDisney races is the price and length of time I have to take off from work to participate. I think they're expensive but not unreasonable for what they provide. If I lived locally and didn't have to worry about anything but heading to the expo to pick up my bib and showing up at the start the morning of I would definitely participate in more. The idea that I need to get a minimum of flights and a hotel plus optionals like park tickets and eating out makes it a more expensive proposition. I love Disney but I can't afford to do destination races 4 times a year.
2. This brings me to my next point, challenges. Don't get me wrong I love the special challenges and theming but the idea of pairing most of the challenges with a special C2C option makes me feel like if I'm committing to going down for one race, I should probably do the corresponding race to get the special medal. For this reason I wouldn't do any of the Star Wars races or Paris until I could afford to do the two races needed to complete the challenge.
3. While we're on the subject of the races themselves I would like some variety. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably do Wine & Dine one day if only as an excuse to do Food & Wine Festival but the appeal is somewhat lacking now that it's not a night race. Plus, my favorite race distance is 10 milers. To have not began running until after they got rid of ToT 10 Miler makes me sad. I feel like going down to Disney to run a 5k and a 10k is not that exciting but I don't always want to put in the training for a half. I think the idea of race weekends itself is great because it gives people who run various distances a chance to participate but I would like some variety in the distances provided.
4. The lack of safety net. I'm very concerned about registering for a race 11 months out. I get why they're doing it. They want more people while the race buzz is still in their minds but I'd more comfortable if I had some sort of bib insurance, that is one of the few upcharges I wouldn't object to.
5. The final thing is the experience. For me, runDisney is still very magical but I know it's not that way for everyone. The number of racers makes unavoidable bottlenecks and while runDisney races are great for those who are slower or just starting out with their generous time limits they can be hang-ups for those who are faster because of a small subset who lie on their PoT. Some people let that get to them and ruin their experience. Some of the runners who want to take pictures with characters can't without getting swept and that ruins their experience. Combine that with the mess of the expo when it first opens and you can see why people lose the magic. The only way for Disney to fix that is to decrease the race entrants (which could lead to them charging more) and fixing their expo issues somehow. Perhaps adding something like package pickup (which they were going to do then didn't) when you check-in at the hotel (at least for WDW)?

I do think the most recent running trend declining has a lot to do with it. People who were early adopters have run every race they want to run and may not have incentive to run them again (though changing the medals yearly seems like a great start). I also think the issues above contribute to it. Some they can fix and some they can't. I think races have the potential to become sell outs again but in order for that to happen they have to switch some things up.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I've got to ask. What is the appeal to a relay option for a marathon? You're not really running a marathon, you're running something along the lines of a half marathon (for a 2-person relay) or just over a 10k (for a 4-person relay). Why not just run those distances and have your own race?

When I ran City of Oaks in November they had a relay option and I have to say it was a bit demoralizing to be chugging along in the back half doldrums (say miles 14-20) only to have people blow by me like they were fresh out of the gate. Invariably they had a relay bib on their back, so they pretty much were fresh out of the gate. Now I know the demoralizing mental part is really on me, but I just don't understand the appeal of the relay.

What am I missing?

Relays can be fun. Yes, you could just register for the similar distance race instead of the longer relay, but then there isn't the same camaraderie with your friends. When your running on the same team, for some reason, it's more fun, and I think you challenge yourself a little more given that others are counting on you.

That being said, I completely agree that it can be demoralizing when you are at mile 20 of a marathon, and some fresh gazelle comes bounding past you. Luckily, not many marathons have a relay option, so it's not a big issue.

I have only done a 2-person marathon relay once (about 20 years ago), and it was enjoyable, but as the second runner on our team, I did feel a little guilty passing all the marathoners. All of my relays now are the 12-person, 200-mile type (think Ragnar-type), so everyone is on a relay team, and you don't have any demoralizing aspect.

Mostly I am interested to see what they do with pricing going forward. The 5K prices have gone up (which I expected with the metal medals), but if I recall correctly they dropped the price of the Dark Side and Tink Half marathons...dropped or didn't do a price increase, can't remember which. That was my first sign that they are aware that popularity is decreasing.

I must admit, for me, it's not the race registration fee at all, but the hotel, flight, food, and car rental costs that have me second-guessing (any destination race really, although even more so at Disney given the costs). Whether they charge $150 or $250 for the half marathon just doesn't move the peg compared to all the other costs.

In other words, if they decrease the race fee, it doesn't change my decision tree. If I was local, however, it would definitely affect my decision.

I haven't read all of the posts just the OP but here is my feeling.

1) The races are expensive but not so expensive that I wouldn't sign up. With that said I know it has gone above and beyond for others.
2) Sign ups are way too far in advance now. My running group already put in for princess, WDW marathon weekend, and almost all of the 2018 races. I can not commit today to 2018 races. As crazy as my thought process is, I'm a young about to be married woman. What if I decide that we want to start having kids. Great except there are no deferrals any more and I don't think pregnancy is covered by the insurance. I could lose my job and need to scrap my trip etc. Previously I would book through a running group and known there would be no issue swapping bibs with someone in the group. The past year and all of this years races our running group has had problems filling spots and we get guaranteed spots. So what use ot be a sure I can spend $500 and known at least someone else will buy it off me (these are legal transfers) it was easier to do. Now that it is unsure and I could still be stuck with the bib makes it harder.
3) I personally don't like the changes with my favorite events. I liked the night runs but now all 3 night runs are gone or adjusted. Wine and Dine was the last hold out but now it is a morning run as well.

I think I've assumed the role of devil's advocate in this thread but Disney isn't really pushing the bounds of early registration that much. If you want to run NYC, that lottery just opened yesterday. If you get in through lottery, you get charged so it's on almost the same sign up cycle as Wine and Dine. I believe Chicago had their lottery a month ago for an October race. A lot of races open up registration as soon as the current one is over and tier the prices to entice you sign up earlier. With Disney the fear was just always it would sell out on opening day but that seems not always be the case anymore. This doesn't change some of the other factors like price or other things but I guess I'm just not sure the registration is as far out of line as we might think.

I think I've assumed the role of devil's advocate in this thread but Disney isn't really pushing the bounds of early registration that much. If you want to run NYC, that lottery just opened yesterday. If you get in through lottery, you get charged so it's on almost the same sign up cycle as Wine and Dine. I believe Chicago had their lottery a month ago for an October race. A lot of races open up registration as soon as the current one is over and tier the prices to entice you sign up earlier. With Disney the fear was just always it would sell out on opening day but that seems not always be the case anymore. This doesn't change some of the other factors like price or other things but I guess I'm just not sure the registration is as far out of line as we might think.

A lot of those other races have cancellation and deferral policies. At least with NY Marathon you get one cancellation that comes with guaranteed entry the next year. It wasn't clear if the cost gets applied to the guaranteed entry though. I wouldn't be so against the long lead times if there was a way to ensure you could race the following year. I do know they offer insurance now but I wasn't sure if it was a cancel for any reason policy or had stipulations like injury, death, etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the return of Everest. It was my first race, runDisney or otherwise, and it was so much fun. The compass medal was awesome, the schwag was decent for a 5K (tech shirt, not a t-shirt) and the scavenger hunt was great. The only issue was that it took way too long between corrals. Spacing was great (not crowded at all on the course) and there were characters every few feet, it seemed. And running at night was super fun. That race was what got me hooked!

I really do think the mass construction is really putting a crimp in RDs ability to offer variety.

VP

I think the issue isn't with the early registration so much as the lack of options to recoup the loss in some fashion should you be unable to run due to injury or other reason. For example while NYC Marathon doesn't return your money they do give you guaranteed entry to the next year's race. So while you may lose your money you don't have to enter their lottery again and again in the hopes of getting back in. Disney can't implement a similar policy while their races aren't selling out. It's true Chicago's policy is very much like Disney's but I think with Disney for me I feel more trapped into still going to Disney than I would a different location because in addition to hotels and flights I also most likely paid for park tickets, etc.

A lot of those other races have cancellation and deferral policies. At least with NY Marathon you get one cancellation that comes with guaranteed entry the next year. It wasn't clear if the cost gets applied to the guaranteed entry though. I wouldn't be so against the long lead times if there was a way to ensure you could race the following year. I do know they offer insurance now but I wasn't sure if it was a cancel for any reason policy or had stipulations like injury, death, etc.

That's a good point on the deferral/cancellation policy. I don't think a lot of races have cancellations but several have deferrals. . It would be wonderful if Disney could come up with an transfer program if they aren't going to allow deferrals.

I could have sworn I got race insurance for about $7 when I did Everest in 2015. Am I imagining that? Was insurance/deferral something they used to offer but no longer do now?

VP

I could have sworn I got race insurance for about $7 when I did Everest in 2015. Am I imagining that? Was insurance/deferral something they used to offer but no longer do now?

VP

2015 was when I was first offered insurance but it wasn't an in your face option. Did you book your room and tickets through runDisney as well? That was the only way I was ever offered insurance. Now I think it is just an option through active for upcoming races.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I've got to ask. What is the appeal to a relay option for a marathon? You're not really running a marathon, you're running something along the lines of a half marathon (for a 2-person relay) or just over a 10k (for a 4-person relay). Why not just run those distances and have your own race?

When I ran City of Oaks in November they had a relay option and I have to say it was a bit demoralizing to be chugging along in the back half doldrums (say miles 14-20) only to have people blow by me like they were fresh out of the gate. Invariably they had a relay bib on their back, so they pretty much were fresh out of the gate. Now I know the demoralizing mental part is really on me, but I just don't understand the appeal of the relay.

What am I missing?

I did the only relay back in 2012--and helped organize some runners on the WISH board to find partners. One big draw was that many people had only ever done the half--so got to run MK and Epcot--but had never done the back half--AK and DHS. And so for those people that would never do the marathon, it was a chance to run a "new" course.

The logistics were a ***** for the second leg runners (I ran the first leg). They wanted people at the transition in the MK parking lot at 0 dark thirty, and it just meant an awful lot of waiting. At some point, they just let the second leg runners go. I started in A, finished in 1:49, and my partner had already left!

I am still ruing the missed opportunity of a night race. The year I finally decided to do one, they canceled them.

Active.com (handles runDisney race registrations) has insurance options for every local race I do. If that had that for Disney races, that would go a long way for me. I know you can get insurance if you book through a TA or runDisney but I have an AP and like to rent DVC points, so those booking options don't work for me. :confused3

The functionality is there, Disney just doesn't seem to want to use it.

@Violet Parr I bet your husband is right! People may be waiting for Avatar/Star Wars Land.
Well Avatar opens this summer so they don't have to wait much longer on that. Who knows on Star Wars, but Toy Story land will open before that. Disney always has construction of some sort going on and always will so if people are waiting for no construction they may be waiting for a very long time. Epcot may be next to get some upgrades/changes.

A couple trends reading through the posts:

1. I'm getting a little scared about Dopey 2018 registration

2. RD should be getting scared about all 2019 registrations (a lot of "this will (probably) be my last race" declarations)
It's the same though when people say "this is my last Disney World trip ever" or after the alligator attack the "I'll never stay there.." For every one who says no more, there's new people who take their place.

Plus, booking everything out at 11 months is annoying.
I guess for me it's not since I like to plan in advance anyway as I have clients booking their wedding photography 12-18 months out too.

One other thought I had while running today I like how they have added new weekends to give people who go at other times a chance to do a race. By adding Star Wars to April it gives me a chance to do a race & do Flower & Garden again, which I haven't done since Everest Challenge in 2014. Wine & Dine is during the festival so that's an added bonus of going then. To me the races are a part of my vacation just like if I added other things like parties or ADRs. So, I guess it's not over saturation as much to me as them giving a better variety of times/themes to open it to a bigger audience to participate.

That's a good point on the deferral/cancellation policy. I don't think a lot of races have cancellations but several have deferrals. . It would be wonderful if Disney could come up with an transfer program if they aren't going to allow deferrals.
NY has a deferral policy but you have to pay the entry again the next year.

Well Avatar opens this summer so they don't have to wait much longer on that. Who knows on Star Wars, but Toy Story land will open before that. Disney always has construction of some sort going on and always will so if people are waiting for no construction they may be waiting for a very long time. Epcot may be next to get some upgrades/changes.
Toy story is looking at summer 2018 right now with Star Wars at late 2019.

Yeah, I'm really torn on the whole Dopey registration. I'm really not looking forward to plunking down over $1000 for me and DH registrations that soon after returning from an expensive trip to WDW, but with the anniversary, I'm too scared not to pull the trigger on February 14. Going through a TA isn't a good option for us because we can typically get much cheaper military tickets and either stay off-site or rent DVC points. With the slower sell outs lately, I've wondered if I dare risk waiting on Dopey, but I'm assuming that with the anniversary this one will still sell out very quickly. Disney is likely counting on FOMO driving early sales.

Yeah, I'm really torn on the whole Dopey registration. I'm really not looking forward to plunking down over $1000 for me and DH registrations that soon after returning from an expensive trip to WDW, but with the anniversary, I'm too scared not to pull the trigger on February 14. Going through a TA isn't a good option for us because we can typically get much cheaper military tickets and either stay off-site or rent DVC points. With the slower sell outs lately, I've wondered if I dare risk waiting on Dopey, but I'm assuming that with the anniversary this one will still sell out very quickly. Disney is likely counting on FOMO driving early sales.
I agree. From people here, and on Facebook groups it sounds like interest is very high on dopey 2018. I don't think they will have a problem selling it out. I just want to make sure I get in.

I know they did have a relay at one point. I wonder if it just wasn't a great sell and that's why they got rid of it.

As others have already said, it was the logistics of it all from what people have reported. I do think it would be a popular option, but rD would need to figure out a way to have a smooth transition area and maybe figure out a way the 2nd runner wouldn't have to be there so early. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath of the relay to return.

So, I was wondering do people feel that when a race sells out it makes it seem more valuable to them? Like limited edition pins for sale, it's only worth it if it's limited. To me I don't care if it sells out or not. Otherwise, does it really matter if it sells out? Does RunDisney want it to sell out or do they like it staying open longer so people can register later or even weekend of like at Light side. Then no one can complain they can never get in. Or is the appeal sometimes because it was hard to get in, like a limited edition.

Dang. Didn't realize that!

Also, Princess is the same weekend as the globally-adored Cowtown Marathon. :rotfl2:

Funny, that actually was an issue for me this year! My niece is a freshman at TCU this year and she wanted to do Cowtown, but her mom and I were already signed up for Princess! Next year I think it may be a family trip to the ol' Cowtown instead of the Princess (since this year is year 3 for Princess anyways). :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter