Have you seen a cow in real life?

Oh yes, a boat load of them.

I can't imagine anyone having not seen a cow.

I live in the suburbs but have definitely seen plenty of cows! Driving past them on the way to the beach or more rural areas, at petting zoos, a school excursion to the farm, at the Royal Melbourne Show (a bit like a county fair), etc. I also once used a port-a-loo to which was secured a large highland cattle - that was certainly an experience!

It would never occur to me that people wouldn't have...

I live next to a farm so I see them almost every morning. I can't imagine folks never seeing one.

I can't imagine having not seen one.

I can't imagine anyone having not seen a cow.

Yes, I am struggling to think of how someone could make it 18 without seeing a cow

As this article in the OP is about UK 18 -24 year olds, I can definatly see how it would be true. Its most likely talking about 18 to 24 year olds in the low social economic areas, city areas where the people are poor, in USA these areas would be called The Projects or The Hood. People in these areas would have low education, and would not travel. They would spend their whole lives in the same area.

Its mainly in the larger cities, like London or Dublin and yes in my experience its very possible that people get to the age of 24 and have never seen a cow in real life.

For example, I grew up in a low social economic suburb of Dublin. The majority of the people in the area would not have family in rural areas. They were mostly city families, people whose families had lived for generations in the city. My parents on the other hand came from a rural area. I would spend summers with grandparents who had farms. While I spend summers surrounded by cows, horses, sheep etc, my classmates would stay all summer in the same area, and not have the same life experiences as I did.

Seems kind of odd that anyone NEVER has. I live in the suburbs, but nearby there's a small educational farm with cattle. We're allowed to feed them lettuce and celery, and they absolutely love it. There's also a regional park with cattle grazing via grazing permits. .

This would be rare here in UK and Ireland.

Once upon a time, it was common enough to see cows in pastures less than 20 minutes outside my city. Now those farms seem to be disappearing as the areas outside the city are developed. You'd have to drive farther and farther to have the same experience.

I don't think it's that unbelievable for a younger person not to have seen livestock. It all depends on what opportunities are available to you. I was just curious about the experiences of people here, especially since we comprise many areas and age groups.

Once upon a time, it was common enough to see cows in pastures less than 20 minutes outside my city. Now those farms seem to be disappearing as the areas outside the city are developed. You'd have to drive farther and farther to have the same experience.

I don't think it's that unbelievable for a younger person not to have seen livestock. It all depends on what opportunities are available to you. I was just curious about the experiences of people here, especially since we comprise many areas and age groups.

Exactly, for example the suburb I grew up in was only developed in the 1970's. Before that, in the 1950's and 1960's it was a rural farming area. People from the city would come out here on holiday.

Rural Indiana, so yeah, I've seen, smelled and heard cows daily. A friend and I were cornered in a corn crib for hours by a very territorial bull when we were about 10-12.

My daughter made a couple new friends at college this year who swear they've never seen a cow. In Ohio. I find that very hard to believe. They aren't poor and surely they've driven down an interstate once or twice, all you have to do is look out a window. Unless they never looked up from their phones or ipads????

Yes, pretty much every day I see cows, horses, sheep and even alpacas. We live in a development but have farms and large properties all around us. I pass cows and horses on my way to/from work. The alpacas on my way to/from the gym and the sheep on my way to/from shopping.

I probably see cows every day when heading out. My mom went through a cow phase back when I lived at home so we owned a cow for a summer. It was interesting. :)

I read this article online from a British website

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/31/one-eight-young-people-have-never-seen-cow-real-life/

and it made me curious.

So regardless of where you live or what your age group (This article focused on British young adults 18-24.), I want to know...have you seen a cow in real life?

And I'll answer my own question. Yes, I have seen a cow in real life. I'd seen a cow by the time I was old enough to know what I was seeing and put a name to it. My grandfather had cattle on his farm.
Yes, lots. I'm a Texan & there are a lot of cattle around here. It's also hard to drive cross-country in America without seeing any cows. I almost thought this thread was a joke.

But then I remembered my experience teaching school on the poor side of town. A lot of underprivileged kids never ever travel, even to the other side of their own city. So I can easily imagine that a fair number of underprivileged kids & even adults (even in cities in Texas) have never seen cows in real life, just because they never leave their own neighborhood.

Last edited:
Yes, plenty of them, one of my customers is a cattle feeder. When I go I usually see "T-Bone" and "Ribeye" standing there. :thumbsup2 Also, if you haven't been cow tipping you haven't lived yet! :rotfl2::cool2::lmao::lmao:

LOL. Yes, I grew up on a farm. I can't "remember" seeing my first cow....I always lived around them. Infamous story in my family....my mom "went to town", leaving my Dad in charge of me (less than a year old, and not walking), and my two older brothers (2 and 3). When she got home, I was nowhere to be found (good job Dad!). They found me in the middle of the cow pasture...with the cows looking at me, and me looking at the cows. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter