Have you used the kennels

croach

DIS Veteran
Trying to get a feel for the kennels at WDW. Anyone have any experiences either good or bad with them? Thanks.

We used the kennels 3 times in the past (probably 5 yrs ago or so). We used the one at MK each time. The kennels were clean and the staff was friendly. At first it was for my older dog. She was gentle and mellow. They allowed me to put her blanket in with her. You do have to walk your dog a few times a day. This was not a problem with her and we have many wonderful family photos taken on those "walks". She has since passed away and the last time we took our current dog-a hyper border collie. We love this dog but it was such a hassle to walk him! We felt like we needed a shower everytime we walked him. This was especially troublesome in the early mornings when we walked him before we went into the parks. More than one time we had to go back and change our clothes! Also, our old dog enjoyed seeing the passers-by but was not distracted by them. Our border collie thought everyone at the TTC was there for just him! We don't bring him anymore. Each trip our dogs received a certificate for good behavior-very cute!

Yes, and while it is a significant saving in points, DW and I found it just too cramped to enjoy our stay. Next time we're definately getting a Studio!

:rotfl2:

We used the kennels years ago when we were still combining WDW trips with dog show trips. I had no problems leaving my champions there, and thought it was very clean.

Our Chihuahua has stayed at the kennels at both MK and MGM. We were very pleased with the kennels and the CMs who work there... :dog:

did you board your pets day and night?? do you think it's better than leaving at home?? I have a 4 month old shih tzu and don't want to leave him!!

Yes, and while it is a significant saving in points, DW and I found it just too cramped to enjoy our stay. Next time we're definately getting a Studio!
ZING!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Spicey stays there. Around 3 to 7 times a year. When I go to WDW and stay onsite he is generally at the FW kennel.

so what do you want to know?

beware that WDW might be building a bigger and better kennel close to All star resort with deluxe services.

they hadn't decided if they will kept the other kennels or close them. Considering that lots of off site guest show up with their pets and are told to use the kennels - this might be a problem if they close the resort kennels.

but back to now!

you pets must have current shots. Otherwise it will kennel outside. some dogs like this area better - some HATE it....

Spicey is a cat and the cat cages are much, much smaller than the dog cages. I have some pictures of Spicey in a cage - I will find them and post them.

here is the FW kennel.

smahoney6 said:
did you board your pets day and night?? do you think it's better than leaving at home?? I have a 4 month old shih tzu and don't want to leave him!!
NO! As a dog breeder and kennel owner, I do NOT think taking a puppy to the kennel is a better idea than leaving him home. There are lots of comunicable diseases they can come in contact with, and at 4 months they don't have mature enough immune systems. Either find a friend, family member or neighbor to either take the pup or come in to take care of him.

smahoney6 said:

Reputable kennels will not board a pet that young, most require them to be at least 8 months old.

thanks for the input...i have to board him (with his vet)and don't want him too traumatized by the boarding experience...there is not easy way to do this!! he is spoiled....

The only time we boarded our golden retriever was when she was 6 months old, and we didn't feel she was ready for a regular kennel here at home (where she now resides when we go to WDW). We used FW and walked her 3 times a day. The staff were great, and she "fetched" sticks outside and really seemed to enjoy her crate with her own blanket. I think that you need to know the dogs are kept in crates, and really need their walks. We, too, got a certificate for her stay.

Spicey when he was a kitten was very, very sick. His first trip was at 3 months old. Sept,1986.

My other cat would have killed him if I left him at home.

I had planned the trip to WDW before I adopted him. the hotel would accept pets so he went with me.

I kept him close to me the entire time - he had to take medicine every 4 hours. He did fine. But he is a cat. the cat room was empty most of that trip. they did get another 2 cats. I make sure they realized that Spicey was on medicine. So they kept them further away.

He did very, very well on that trip and has been going with me since.

there are far less cats than dogs in the WDW kennel. Many times Spicey has had the cat room to his self.

my other cats get a friend or a pet sitter.

Have you looked into a pet sitter? Then your puppy could stay home in his area.

i don't want him to stay at home in his kennel with the house being so quiet...at least at the vet there will be interaction with humans and some run time for extended periods...there is not easy way to do this..... :guilty:

Why not a house sitter? I have a girl in her 20's who works for me and is in school, she will just stay the week at our house and take care of our 2 dogs, 1 cat, hamster and goldfish. I pay her a little, but I think she enjoys just staying at the house. She is very trustworthy and I always let the neighbors all know we are leaving her in the care of our house and pets. It works out great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter