having second thoughts...

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
am i the only person on this board who feels that a disney vacation has become so expensive that i'm really not sure i can afford it anymore?

and of course, it's not just disney itself, but also the airfare to get there..
but the disney part of it has definitely gone up significantly...

No its not just you. :sad2:

We had accommodation booked for last October but ended up cancelling as we couldn't flights at a price we were comfortable paying. Add to that the cost of the food, tickets and car hire and it became a bit more than we could justify for a 3 week trip.

am i the only person on this board who feels that a disney vacation has become so expensive that i'm really not sure i can afford it anymore?

and of course, it's not just disney itself, but also the airfare to get there..
but the disney part of it has definitely gone up significantly...

Nope. My last three trips have been Universal/SW only because of the extortionate Disney ticket prices. And we're not going this year because the airfare prices are a joke. We have a budget and we stick to it - if we can't, we don't go (we actually wound up booking another holiday instead).

No its not just you. :sad2:

We had accommodation booked for last October but ended up cancelling as we couldn't flights at a price we were comfortable paying. Add to that the cost of the food, tickets and car hire and it became a bit more than we could justify for a 3 week trip.

Snap !!!

We too ended up cancelling our October trip last year due to Flight costs. I was on the ball this year though and literally got up at 4am so I could book our flights for this October the day they were released.

We got 6 x PE seats from Manchester @ £4700 plus 45000 miles which I was happy to pay. I looked a week later and the cost was more than that for ecomomy, exactly the same as what happened the previous year :sad2:

Never happy whatever I pay:rotfl2:
We go to town a little on our August trips but rest of year I have never paid a fortune, like our trip next month, for flights, hotel & car its working out at £550pp also helps us having AP's for SW, Busch, Uni & IOA, no parks to pay for this trip. It wouldn't save much going to Europe instead
I find its not so much holidays costing more but everything at home, now spend £200/month on petrol & diesel, £100/month on Gas & Elec, £100+.week groceries. All these are upto double what they were a few years ago. VAT is going cost me £1,000 this year more than last year.
I keep thinking should we go less but then I think every year could be my last.

Nope, you're in good company. I have already told DD that after this year's trip, I have no plans for a visit next year. You get to a point where there is just nothing else left to cut back on :rolleyes1

thank you for sharing....it makes me feel better...well...not better exactly, but at least not alone...

as for what Wayne said - that's so true....you never know when this might be your last...
my daughter's closest friend...the first friend she ever had when they were little girls and who was still her friend until she died suddenly of heart failure on Thursday at the age of 26....the sweetest, gentlest, kindest, most loving golden-haired girl with a dazzling smile that lit up every room....
our hearts are broken over it...so sad...

so Wayne is right....i guess i should try to work it out....one more trip...i should be happy both young couples want to travel with us :)

Beth - so sorry to hear of your loss, that is very sad, we also lost someone on Thursday of heart failure, so I know how you are feeling right now.

I totally agree with you about the prices of the air fair lately, but as long as we don't go into debt long term and we can pay it back in a timely fashion then I am ok with it, I figure that I work 7 days a week for 49 weeks of the year so my 3 weeks in Florida is my reward for that! :goodvibes

We got an amazing deal with VH this year, so we were pleased to be able to fly direct, we usually go indirect to save money, I am also ebaying a lot to get some extra cash at the mo.

Beth - so sorry to hear of your loss, that is very sad, we also lost someone on Thursday of heart failure, so I know how you are feeling right now.

I totally agree with you about the prices of the air fair lately, but as long as we don't go into debt long term and we can pay it back in a timely fashion then I am ok with it, I figure that I work 7 days a week for 49 weeks of the year so my 3 weeks in Florida is my reward for that! :goodvibes

We got an amazing deal with VH this year, so we were pleased to be able to fly direct, we usually go indirect to save money, I am also ebaying a lot to get some extra cash at the mo.

yes, i have to start on the ebay thing - i looked into when someone mentioned it a few weeks ago, then got swamped at work again.....

the most important thing for me - if we do make the trip i have to get the cost of it out of my head....the worst thing for me is if i let the cost get me down during the course of the holiday (as in "was THIS really worth all that much money???")....which is why i think it might be good for us to do free dining....because while it's not really free, i won't notice the prices as much as i did in june....when i was there in june, i nearly fainted when they charged me $4 for a tiny little frozen coke....last time i was there, it was less than $3...but in june it was $4 (so it was a snack on FD) and they'd shrunk the cup....but if i'd paid with a snack credit i wouldn't have been as annoyed...

Never happy whatever I pay:rotfl2:
We go to town a little on our August trips but rest of year I have never paid a fortune, like our trip next month, for flights, hotel & car its working out at £550pp also helps us having AP's for SW, Busch, Uni & IOA, no parks to pay for this trip. It wouldn't save much going to Europe instead
I find its not so much holidays costing more but everything at home, now spend £200/month on petrol & diesel, £100/month on Gas & Elec, £100+.week groceries. All these are upto double what they were a few years ago. VAT is going cost me £1,000 this year more than last year.
I keep thinking should we go less but then I think every year could be my last.

yes, everything is so expensive....our grocery bill has gone up - by at least 15%....but i still buy the same stuff i always do.....i never price anything, but i notice the total just keeps going up....
i wonder what low income people do...

yeah we have found out that the prices have gone sky high.
I priced up a holiday for this october, exact same dates and hotel etc that we went in Oct 2010, and the price difference is that this oct is £2000 dearer:scared1:. I'm not prepared to pay it so we won't be going. hopefully we will go Oct 2012 and will book as soon as I can as the prices don't seem to get any lower than they are on the release date

I havent read all the replies but I wanted to post before reading them !!

In our everyday lives everything is so uncertain and yes Disney and airfares keeping increasing in cost but I say can you really put a price on memories???

We would sell everything we own to take another trip to dosney and to see the kids smile as we never know when that trip will be our last as a complete family!! I never want to sit and think I wish we had . . .
Purely because of finiciancial reasons.

I know im in minority with this thinking but really the good emeories are what will get you through any tough times you encounter.

Sorry if thats deep x x xx

i never price anything, but i notice the total just keeps going up....

I don't shop very often but when I do I price every single item. I can get home with 50 items and I could tell you every price I have paid. Karen does not enjoy going shopping with me because almost guarenteed when we get to the tills I question the price of something thats scanned wrong.
Upto recently we would just goto ASDA and buy at whatever price it was but the last year or so I have started going elswhere, for example the Simple shower gel we buy is £1.99 in ASDA but 99p in Home bargains, same store has 2L 7up and Pepsi Max at 79p, ASDA £1.50+ you don't need many items to be worth going another mile down the road.

Upto recently we would just goto ASDA and buy at whatever price it was but the last year or so I have started going elswhere, for example the Simple shower gel we buy is £1.99 in ASDA but 99p in Home bargains, same store has 2L 7up and Pepsi Max at 79p, ASDA £1.50+ you don't need many items to be worth going another mile down the road.

You might if petrol keeps going up the way it has in the past couple of months :scared1:

You're right though: we will go to several supermarkets to get the best offers. I refuse to pay full price for anything that I can store - tins, jars, cleaning products, cosmetics, shampoo etc. and buy it only when it's on a really good deal (last time our brand of toothpaste had 70% off the normal price, we bought 8 tubes! :laughing:). We currently have 240 dishwasher tablets in the cupboard because they were on a good deal...!

I havent read all the replies but I wanted to post before reading them !!

In our everyday lives everything is so uncertain and yes Disney and airfares keeping increasing in cost but I say can you really put a price on memories???

We would sell everything we own to take another trip to dosney and to see the kids smile as we never know when that trip will be our last as a complete family!! I never want to sit and think I wish we had . . .
Purely because of finiciancial reasons.

I know im in minority with this thinking but really the good emeories are what will get you through any tough times you encounter.

Sorry if thats deep x x xx

Hi, completely unrelated post but thanks for posting- had started reading your latest trip report about a week ago,but thought it was on another board for some reason and have been going bonkers trying to find it,lol.

You might if petrol keeps going up the way it has in the past couple of months :scared1:

You're right though: we will go to several supermarkets to get the best offers. I refuse to pay full price for anything that I can store - tins, jars, cleaning products, cosmetics, shampoo etc. and buy it only when it's on a really good deal (last time our brand of toothpaste had 70% off the normal price, we bought 8 tubes! :laughing:). We currently have 240 dishwasher tablets in the cupboard because they were on a good deal...!

My garage is like a Mini Supermarket, Shower Gels, Dishwasher tabs, just like you, cans, jars etc:rotfl2:

My garage is like a Mini Supermarket, Shower Gels, Dishwasher tabs, just like you, cans, jars etc:rotfl2:

Hey it works! But only if you use up your stocks before you buy more (even if you see a good deal). I might need to start a stock database...:lmao:

Hi, completely unrelated post but thanks for posting- had started reading your latest trip report about a week ago,but thought it was on another board for some reason and have been going bonkers trying to find it,lol.

Sorry I didnt think it was unrelated !!
The op says that they are having 2nd thoughts because of the costs of going to florida !!
I was just adding the point of view that Money should not stop you doing something you enjoy!!

Sorry I didnt think it was unrelated !!
The op says that they are having 2nd thoughts because of the costs of going to florida !!
I was just adding the point of view that Money should not stop you doing something you enjoy!!

Sorry i think you misunderstood me-i meant my post was unrelated in that i wasn't adding anything, but i found your trip report.I couldn't remember who it was by and had been looking for it.I completely agree with your sentiment as that's the mantra in my house:) I hope i've cleared that up-not being critical at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter