Hawaii looking to lift mask mandates and testing this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MouseOfCards

Finally jumped in . . .
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/h...imeline-for-lifting-coronavirus-mask-mandate/
Sounds encouraging:

"Gov. Ige says his greatest concern remains not being able to know who is vaccinated and who is not. He says the numbers do not show support for lifting the mandate yet, though he does recognize it could create a friction point for visitors to the islands. He is hopeful to lift the mandate by the middle of June."

"On the question about allowing trans-pacific travel for vaccinated people without the need to be tested, the governor says he is still targeting the 4th of July."

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/h...imeline-for-lifting-coronavirus-mask-mandate/
Sounds encouraging:

"Gov. Ige says his greatest concern remains not being able to know who is vaccinated and who is not. He says the numbers do not show support for lifting the mandate yet, though he does recognize it could create a friction point for visitors to the islands. He is hopeful to lift the mandate by the middle of June."

"On the question about allowing trans-pacific travel for vaccinated people without the need to be tested, the governor says he is still targeting the 4th of July."
Any news on when testing will be eliminated for Vaccinated travelers from the US. It seems odd they would eliminate it for trans pacific travel but not for domestic travel. We are going in September and I would be thrilled if we don’t have to test.

Any news on when testing will be eliminated for Vaccinated travelers from the US. It seems odd they would eliminate it for trans pacific travel but not for domestic travel. We are going in September and I would be thrilled if we don’t have to test.

Vaccinated domestic/US travelers fly are considered transpacific and would be exempt.

Hi - I live in Hawaii and here is what I know (as of today), but keep in mind it changes often and quickly. Any traveler coming to Hawaii from the mainland is a transpacific traveler - those coming from outside the US are considered foreign. Transpacific travelers must still have a negative COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours prior to departure of the last leg of your flight to Hawaii.

On May 11th, the testing for interisland travel for Hawaii residents only was lifted for all those who are fully vaccinated (at least 15 days past the 2nd dose), but interisland testing for visitors from the mainland remains in effect - vaccinated or not. The theory is that we can verify Hawaii residents' vaccinations, but not others.

We are traveling to CA for a wedding next week and we still have to have a negative COVID test to return to Hawaii, despite being fully vaccinated. They are hoping to have something in place for transpacific travelers to Hawaii in mid-June, but I would not count on it until it is announced.

Your best resource for up-to-date information is at hawaiicovid19.com

Fingers crossed, if this all progresses in this timeline, maybe we’ll see vaccinated Canadians allowed in without testing! Here’s hoping!

E
What percentage of Islanders are vaccinated? I would expect that is the key.
My understanding is that Hawaii leads the US with over 70% of seniors having received at least one dose. We just arrived on Kauai and will eventually check-in to Aulani on June 1st and are hoping against hope that there will be some relaxation of the unscientific outdoor mask mandates by then.

E

My understanding is that Hawaii leads the US with over 70% of seniors having received at least one dose. We just arrived on Kauai and will eventually check-in to Aulani on June 1st and are hoping against hope that there will be some relaxation of the unscientific outdoor mask mandates by then.
Ooh post some Kauai pics!! IMO it’s the most beautiful of the islands 😍. Hope you’re having a great trip!

My understanding is that Hawaii leads the US with over 70% of seniors having received at least one dose.
According to data on the Washington Post website, 66% of all Hawaiians have received at least one dose of the vaccine.

According to data on the Washington Post website, 66% of all Hawaiians have received at least one dose of the vaccine.
If they can move along and get everyone a final dose where indicated (I am assuming it isn't all Janssen) I suspect they will look more at lifting mandate and testing.

Bottom line is that it is really hard to tell who from another state is or is not vaccinated, and creating hurdles (masks, testing) discourages those who may be less likely to vaccinate or mask. That group also has a big overlap with "willingness to travel at longer distances."

Hawaii are islands that were colonized by Europeans and Americans who brought disease along. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_epidemic_disease_in_Hawai'i). Islands tend to have viewpoints on disease influenced by history, and the history of disease is pretty common to islands "discovered" by European treasure hunters.

The Hawaiian people have been very supportive of restrictions so far, and it's their state.

The Hawaiian people have been very supportive of restrictions so far, and it's their state.
I'm not sure that's correct. I know they were very supporting of strict travel rules early in the pandemic, but the sense I'm getting from a lot of online chatter is that they're increasingly frustrated with the slow pace of reopening.

Hawaii residents travel to and from the mainland even more than tourists do, and it's a massive headache right now. Even for the people who don't travel frequently, tourism is how Hawaiian business owners make their livelihood.

I'm not sure that's correct. I know they were very supporting of strict travel rules early in the pandemic, but the sense I'm getting from a lot of online chatter is that they're increasingly frustrated with the slow pace of reopening.

Hawaii residents travel to and from the mainland even more than tourists do, and it's a massive headache right now. Even for the people who don't travel frequently, tourism is how Hawaiian business owners make their livelihood.
My understanding is that the frustration is more about resident life than the requirements for incoming tourists, however.

My understanding is that the frustration is more about resident life than the requirements for incoming tourists, however.
Could be. But keep in mind that there's a small but extremely vocal group of Hawaiians who hate tourists and tourism no matter what the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter