He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

I'm glad I did because you can never have #toomuchsugar.
I couldn't agree more! :thumbsup2

This used to be called the Anchors Aweigh sandwich or something like that I swear
YES!!! I will back you up on this! Is it the same sandwich as Anchors Aweigh was? It must be, so why change the name - I loved it! :confused3

img_8269-jpg.319728
Yay for a Dismeet! And it sounds like you all had a lovely time - you all look great, too! :thumbsup2

What a neat event Ricky had!

Fruit and Cheese Picnic Platter
Yum! This looks right up my alley!

Full enough to continue we moved on with our FP's and ventured out to Tom Sawyer island for the first time in years:
Tom Sawyer Island is Jamie and Stuart's favourite place to go! so many great memories of fun exploring the caves and playing on the barrel bridge. :)

So we asked the CM manning the door and then found out there's a separate counter inside to go to when you mobile order :thumbsup2 So cool! There were 2 people waiting there when we went in but we got our food right away, bypassing the 4829 other families in line. Seriously a lifesaver at busy times!

We went upstairs which is where we usually sit.
Will have to try out mobile ordering this summer! We love to sit upstairs too.

Blueberry Lemonade - Three Olives blueberru vodka, Bols blue curacao, and Odwalla lemonade with juices of lemon and pomegranate topped with Sprite
That looks delicious!!!!

Such a wonderful DISMeet! We said our good-bye's and went inside for our dinner.
Beautiful pictures of all of you!

I know some of you are wondering why I ate a tuna sandwich when I don't eat seafood? Steve gets so confused by this since he says tuna is one of the fishiest tasting fishes, but for whatever reason I like it! Steve got the same thing.

Haha I'm with Steve here! I'll never understand this! But I can't judge because I'm a fan of seafood, but I hate canned tuna. :laughing:

Well the kids showed up but we weren't ready to go. We introduced them to Jenny and Joe and told them to have a seat, but those pesky boys just kept looking at us like, "are we going to EAT at some point???"

Haha jeepers, kids though! Aren't they the worst! Pretty ridiculous that they expect to eat EVERY DAY.

img_8216-jpg.319717

And yes, that's EXTRA frosting on the side! Only the 2nd time I remembered to ask for it and I'm glad I did because you can never have #toomuchsugar. The frosting in the cup is a bit stiff and the best thing to do would be to spread it on, but I chose to rip off pieces of my roll and dip it in the frosting :D
I have never remembered to ask for the extra frosting, but of course its still dang good!

hen we went to CCH where the line was about 200 people out the door and we were like, "omg how do we get our food????" We had gotten the text that it was ready and if we stood on this line, it would be stone cold by the time we got it. So we asked the CM manning the door and then found out there's a separate counter inside to go to when you mobile order :thumbsup2 So cool! There were 2 people waiting there when we went in but we got our food right away, bypassing the 4829 other families in line. Seriously a lifesaver at busy times!
That line is insane!!!! So smart to use the movie ordering and hoping for our sake the masses don't catch onto it.

I love a good tuna sandwich so this would be right up my alley. I used to love their lighthouse sandwich with hummus and broccoli slaw but that got rid of it a few years back. It was such an odd selection for me, but it was so good.

Black Cherry Mule
Zodiac Black Cherry Vodka, fresh Lime Juice, and Agave Nectar topped with Fever Tree Ginger Beer

img_8263-jpg.319701
Yum!!! A cherry mule sounds delish!

img_8269-jpg.319728

Such a wonderful DISMeet! We said our good-bye's and went inside for our dinner.
Great pictures. So glad you all got to spend some time together.

Too funny I had glanced down and saw this photo and was wondering what in the heck Artist Point was serving these days o_O Can't wait to hear how it was though. I"ve been wanting to get back there.

img_8789-jpg.319738

#2 was horrid. That sounds harsh coming from someone who can't make meatballs but I certainly can eat them, and this was NOT.GOOD. The rest were but #1 was a little too tomato-y for me. It was mom's favorite but I preferred 3, however mom's fave won.
Is it weird that I'm a few hundred miles away and I'm jealous that I couldn't enter my meatballs :P

I told her about mobile ordering and she thanked me for the info as it was their first day and she would do that going forward when she could.

Aww love that you could share some 'insider' knowledge with them, especially on their first day!

anted to share a couple pictures from Ricky's Italian Honor Society even last night, Buon Appetito

So fun! Except for the meh meatball situation :goodvibes

Your Dismeet at Geyser Point sounds like it was very enjoyable. We had fun talking to strangers at Geyser Point on our last trip. I think there is something really relaxing about sitting outdoors with a view of Bay Lake. We've met the nicest people there. :)

Well I’m glad you tried the Cascadia Sangria! I thought for sure you’d love it bc you love Sangria but that's ok. I’m sure I’ll try some other offerings this trip so I’ll try the blueberry one you got and compare! I mean, research, right??

I wish you could charge to your room with mobile ordering. We do discounted Disney gift cards, so we charge everything to the room and then pay it off with our gift cards. Maybe that will be an option in the future.

I've wanted to try this. I love everything about it, but I'm not big on sweets in the morning. Love how you got extra frosting on the side, that's a great idea.

I think the last time I went over there was 11 years ago. I remember taking pictures with my friend on that bridge.

I think we might try Columbia Harbour House the next time we are at Magic Kingdom for lunch. I've never been, but the food sounds good there. I love tuna sandwiches that would probably be my go-to sandwich.

One of the biggest regrets of my life (okay, okay, just my Disney life :laughing:) was not getting one of these during our last trip :sad:

There were 2 people waiting there when we went in but we got our food right away, bypassing the 4829 other families in line. Seriously a lifesaver at busy times!
I'm crazy excited about mobile ordering. Genius!

It's one of the better tuna sandwiches I've had and it's always fresh-tasting. I know some of you are wondering why I ate a tuna sandwich when I don't eat seafood? Steve gets so confused by this since he says tuna is one of the fishiest tasting fishes, but for whatever reason I like it!
THIS IS ME! I don't eat any kind of seafood. And the thought of fish makes me :sick: but I'll eat tuna salad no problem. To me, it tastes like chicken salad :confused3. I fully admit this is completely insane :rotfl2:

told her about mobile ordering and she thanked me for the info as it was their first day and she would do that going forward when she could.
That was good of you to fill her in on mobile ordering :thumbsup2. Think of all the time she went on to save thanks to you during one of the busiest weeks of the year.

The Black Cherry Lemonade was my favorite for years. When we were there last May, I went to Hurricane Hanna's to order one from one of our favorite bartenders, Tom, only to be informed that it had been removed from the menu and he offered the Blueberry Lemonade. While I like blueberries, I didn't find this drink to come close to the loveliness of the Black Cherry Lemonade. Tom let me know that they still had most of the ingredients and he made me the Black Cherry--not as great as before, but it worked.

I was so hoping it would return by our October 2017 trip, but no such luck. I really hate when Disney removes items completely. Why in the world can't it stock the items necessary to make the "retired from the menu" drinks--they are full bars after all. :confused3

BTW, do not make the mistake of ordering a Black Cherry Lemonade at Martha's Vineyard--not a fan of whiskey, bourbon and the like. The Black Cherry Lemonade there was made with whiskey and was quite a shock to my taste buds.

Walking out we saw the lines and OMG they were insane, and we still had 5 days to go
Well that poor lady's DH had 5 days to go on line for Columbia Harbor House so at least you had one advantage :rotfl:

I realized they took the drink I'd been looking forward to off the menu even though it's still on the online menu, the Black Cherry Lemonade that Steve had last time we were here in August
Rude! I feel like they could make that for you or at least have the decency not to tempt you with it on the online menu. Actually once they told us "oh they sent us the wrong menus, you can just look at the QS menu on the wall or you can look the menu up in your phone"... I think that experience is coming up on my DR. It was bizarre but still delicious!

Black Cherry Mule
Zodiac Black Cherry Vodka, fresh Lime Juice, and Agave Nectar topped with Fever Tree Ginger Beer
Okay now i feel like FOR SURE they could have made you a black cherry lemonade since they clearly have the vodka and the lemonade :confused3

Such a wonderful DISMeet! We said our good-bye's and went inside for our dinner
Couldn't get the photos to quote but how cute are you four?! Love the top @Jenny Sanders!

All home-made. Now, those rainbow cookies are my all-time favorite and I can and do easily eat 12 of them, but this wasn't as flavorful as I'd hoped
Those are our favorite too :D we are having them at the wedding! We asked R's aunt to make them for us.

So this was a pretty cool event as is any event where you can eat, and I'm looking forward to attending next year since I'm forcing Ricky to take Italian again in order to stay in the NIHS for one more year
Heck yeah! I'm ready to join up myself!

Yum extra frosting glad you didn't have to share
The Fruit and Cheese Picnic Platter does look good did you get that at Gaston's?
You and Jenny look so pretty all dressed for dinner
The Blueberry Lemonade does look good

I’m here getting caught up on dining reports as a means to fight off depression on our drive home from WDW...:sad:

Those crowds sound a little rough, still not sure about the spring break trip next year with a 3 year old.

Your Geyser Point evening sounds so nice and relaxing. That sangria is right up my alley, I believe. I need to stay at BRV again now that they’ve changed so much. Looking forward to your Artist Point report.

Was there a Ham and Cheese thing on the menu? Wondering if this replaced it. Andy and I had that one of our trips and it was pretty good. This looks just ok.
I believe there was :scratchin Ricky doesn't really like ham so he wouldn't have gone for it. I thought this sounded really good but......

I feel like most people who use mobile ordering must be repeat customers for the most part.
That, or very "tech savvy" lol as I am not. I was surprised I even remembered mobile ordering was a thing!

Also, I totally get you eating canned tuna fish. It is a completely different than eating a piece of fresh tuna. I almost forget it's fish... I support you. ;)
Thank you :hug: I appreciate it!

Morgan got the shrimp & Mac n cheese meal here once and decided she did NOT like the mac n cheese. It is also VERY filling. (in my opinion)
Ricky got that once and didn't like it. He didn't like the shrimp in it and thought that particular mac and cheese tasted different from the usual mac and cheese so not surprised Morgan didn't like it, either.

This whole scenario is crazy to me! I know it's because your boys are older and mine are not there yet at all. But it's amazing that you are on family vacation yet you got to have drinks with adults!
:laughing: I remember dreaming about this day! I do prefer that we all stay together since we don't do many "family" things together at home. But this comes in very handy now, especially when "someone" (who shall remain nameless :rolleyes1) gets cranky or anyone doesn't want to wake up early. And it was definitely nice to be able to enjoy an "adult" DISmeet while still being down there with the kids!

I wonder if you asked about the Black Cherry Lemonade. Did they use the Black Cherry Vodka that is in the Mule? I bet if you were lucky, the bartender could make you one still. Like a hidden menu item!
I did ask, and got a very quick, "yeah, we don't have it anymore" :sad2: I think it probably depends on the server/bartender?

1. I am playing on a hotel afternoon/evening at Poly on the 25th, so I will likely be sipping beverages on a patio or by the pool somewhere. So perhaps a "Hi" will happen :)
I'm going to keep it in mind for sure!

so what would be your ideal dinner/drinks experience if we hopped over to WL for an evening?
Hmm......I say drinks out at Geyser Point followed by dinner at Artist Point for sure! If AP doesn't appeal to you, Whispering Canyon is great also just a totally different atmosphere; fun and loud as opposed to a signature. Either way GP for drinks! I hope you definitely do it, and even if you decide not to do dinner there stop for drinks and apps at GP one night ::yes::

3. It is so cool (and I know they've been doing this awhile now) that your sons can just get around WDW without you, like leave and go back to the hotel or meet up with you later. I didn't really register the impact of that since I don't have my own kids, but travelled with a 10 yr old and 5 yr old on my last trip. Now I appreciate how "freeing" that must be!
As much as I miss them being small I'm happy they're at this stage now; makes it easier in many ways. They're happier knowing they can opt out if we want to stay in a park longer or sleep in and in turn that makes Steve and I happier to not drag around grumpy kids. Honestly Ricky mostly chooses to stick with us; this trip was a bit of an exception just due to his surgery last Nov. and his leg acting up. But Chris is a totally different story lol and everyone is happier if he decides he rather be in the room, to let him be in the room!
YES!!! I will back you up on this! Is it the same sandwich as Anchors Aweigh was? It must be, so why change the name - I loved it! :confused3
It's the exact same sandwich! No idea why they changed the name? Maybe guests honestly didn't understand what it was even though the menu had a descroption? People need stuff spelled out for them :rolleyes:

Yay for a Dismeet! And it sounds like you all had a lovely time - you all look great, too! :thumbsup2
We did and :thanks:

Tom Sawyer Island is Jamie and Stuart's favourite place to go! so many great memories of fun exploring the caves and playing on the barrel bridge. :)
That's great! I really wish I'd had my kids spend more time there when they were smaller :(

Will have to try out mobile ordering this summer!
Do it! It's great, super convenient. I hope they add more places.

Beautiful pictures of all of you!
Thank you :goodvibes

That was DEFINITELY one of the BEST DIS meets EVER!!!!!!!!!!8-)
I agree 100%

Haha I'm with Steve here! I'll never understand this! But I can't judge because I'm a fan of seafood, but I hate canned tuna. :laughing:
See I think, after mixing in the mayo and spices, that canned tuna doesn't taste fishy at all! But other seafood :snooty: It's ok though, I still love you :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter