Healthier options in the parks?

DoraBA

Mouseketeer
Hi
We're visiting with DS13 and DS10 in a few months. Since we have only 4-5 WDW park days and 3.5 USO days, time is our most precious commodity. So Im assuming we'll eat in the parks.

We eat a lot if veggies, salads, avoid fried foods if possible etc. We're not danatics at all, but I wont survive 10 days on theme park food and waffles.

Another limit - I want to avoid AYCE if possible as I had bariatric surgery and tend to eat slowly and in small amounts.

Please help me in finding a few restaurants in each park which can offer a healthier selection?

Thank you so much

I don't eat fried food and rarely snack between meals and have no problems at any of the restaurants, QS or TS. The kids meals all have the option of fruit and there is almost always a sandwich other than a burger on the kids menus. There are fruit stands in just about every park and just about every restaurant has a salad option. I have never (in over 30 years of going to WDW) had a burger at WDW.

Some examples:
At MK if we are eating QS we eat at Pecos Bills. I usually get a rice bowl - most of the time chicken and then put lots of extras from the fixins bar.
If eating TS - we love Skippers Canteen. The food isn't the usual fare and I tend to just get a couple of appetizers.

At HS - we love the HBD lounge for lunch and I get the Cobb Salad.
We rarely eat TS at HS but if we do it's at the inside HBD.

At AK - for QS I get chicken fried rice at Yak and Yeti or we go to Nomads Lounge and get a couple of appetizers.
For TS we love Tiffins.

At Epcot - we like all the QS in WS although our least favorite is fish and chips from GB, we will get it every once in awhile. Our favorite is Tangerine Grill in Morocco or Spice Road Tables - it's technically a TS but you can walk up and get seated outside.
For TS - again we like all the places there with our least favorite being the pub at GB.

Hi
We're visiting with DS13 and DS10 in a few months. Since we have only 4-5 WDW park days and 3.5 USO days, time is our most precious commodity. So Im assuming we'll eat in the parks.

We eat a lot if veggies, salads, avoid fried foods if possible etc. We're not danatics at all, but I wont survive 10 days on theme park food and waffles.

Another limit - I want to avoid AYCE if possible as I had bariatric surgery and tend to eat slowly and in small amounts.

Please help me in finding a few restaurants in each park which can offer a healthier selection?

Thank you so much
Disney has 100's of restaurants to chose from with far more diversity than your post implies.

Yes, the food in the Parks is designed to appeal to theme park favorites of hot dogs & ice cream. But there are many full-service/Signature places that are not buffets.

Every restaurant at Disney will do it's (near) best to accommodate just about each and every dietary request.

If I were you, I'd start with the search tool:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/
When you have a short list or some idea what types of places you're interested in enjoying, folks here will gladly help you with specifics. But until then, I have no idea what you're really looking to eat other than 'not theme park'.

I'll try to be a bit more helpful instead of critical. It's pretty tough to eat healthy in the parks because a lot of the food is fried or pizza/burgers although most restaurants offer at least one semi-healthy option. Here are a few thoughts by each park.

Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbor House is probably the best quick service option for healthy eating, and one of the better quick service options overall. They have grilled shrimp/salmon and a salad. Skipper Canteen is probably a good option for table service.

Epcot - for quick service I'd consider Les Halles and Sunshine Seasons. Both have healthy-ish options, or at least food that isn't fried or a burger. Table service perhaps Chefs de France or Teppan Edo. We like both and both have healthy options.

Animal Kingdom - Harambe Market is a good quick service option. People also seem to like Satu'li Canteen but I've never been. Table service you might consider Yak & Yeti since they have a few grilled chicken/fish options.

Hollywood Studios - I haven't been to the new Star Wars restaurants so can't comment on those, and we don't usually eat at this park since we rarely spend an entire day there. I'm not sure there are any great healthy options here. We enjoyed our meals at Mama Melrose but it's Italian so certainly not healthy, but reasonably priced and decent food.

Finally, keep in mind that there are a number of options outside the parks that may not require a ton of time. For instance, you can walk over to the Boardwalk and Beach/Yacht Club from Epcot, or take the boat to those areas from Hollywood Studios. You can also jump on the monorail at Magic Kingdom and go to Contemporary, Grand Floridian or Polynesian, which all have some popular restaurants.

Hi

Thank you so much
Another bariatric surgery person.... I limit my food choices to protein and veggies only. I AVOID fast food places and pretty much make ADRs at full service restaurants. While my family gets to eat some really great foods, I stick to appetizers (think hummus and veggies, shrimp **** tail and such) OR kids meals!!! Have never had a problem asking for a kids fish meal with veggies instead of potatoes or rice. ( I am also a pescaterian) Some of my favorite places are: Studios: Sci Fi Driv In, 50s Prime Time; EPCOT: Coral Reef , Morocco , England; Animal Kingdom: Tiffins and MK : Adventurers Club place (cannot remember the exact name) Near EPCOT is Flying Fish right by Boardwalk. At AKL: Jiko . All restaurants have healthy kids choice menus... good for you and great for your kids. Because we avoid buffets and AYCE venues our food budget is not higher than usual. Good luck... have a wonderful time and donot focus on the food

Another bariatric surgery person.... I limit my food choices to protein and veggies only. I AVOID fast food places and pretty much make ADRs at full service restaurants. While my family gets to eat some really great foods, I stick to appetizers (think hummus and veggies, shrimp **** tail and such) OR kids meals!!! Have never had a problem asking for a kids fish meal with veggies instead of potatoes or rice. ( I am also a pescaterian) Some of my favorite places are: Studios: Sci Fi Driv In, 50s Prime Time; EPCOT: Coral Reef , Morocco , England; Animal Kingdom: Tiffins and MK : Adventurers Club place (cannot remember the exact name) Near EPCOT is Flying Fish right by Boardwalk. At AKL: Jiko . All restaurants have healthy kids choice menus... good for you and great for your kids. Because we avoid buffets and AYCE venues our food budget is not higher than usual. Good luck... have a wonderful time and donot focus on the food
Cannot believe that the first half of shrimp cocktail was bleeped out....

It was the space between the 2 parts. One part is naughty without the second

Eating healthy is possible in the parks but it does take a lot of research/looking at menus.

In MK I suggest Columbia Harbor House. They have grilled salmon, grilled shrimp, lobster roll (not healthy but not deep fried), and a hummus sandwich to choose from. It's not amazing food, but it is pretty good/decent.

Animal Kingdom has Flame Tree BBQ, and I enjoyed Satuli Canteen.

Epcot has Sunshine Seasons food court in the LAND pavillion. My husband and kids really liked the baked chicken served with rice and beans. We also had the chicken shwarma at Tangierene Cafe. I liked it but my husband thought the meat was too greasy.

We ate at Sci-Fi in HS and chose a salad and asked for the chicken to be grilled instead of fried. I had the Turkey on croissant sandwich. Everything was okay, but we were there for the atmosphere.

In MK we like Be Our Guest and Peco Bills. I had cauliflower tacos that were amazing! Columbia harbor house has healthy options too

Epcot- love tangerine cafe in Morocco. Sunshine season has options

AK- satuli Canteen is hands down my favorite QS. I like the beef with potato hash, by son preferred the noodle base, there’s also a salad option.

HS- we don’t get QS here. Usually eat at Sci Fi (I get the steak). Also like Hollywood brown derby lounge.

I think I’ve had a burger once in 7 trips.

FYI.... most restaurants now have plant based entree options. And most have some type of salad appetizer too.

Columbia Harbor House is a favorite. The food is fresh and less processed and that 2nd floor seems to always be quiet. I feel like there was either quick service or food cart that had some sort of shish kabobs that we liked. Skipper Canteen was yummy.

Lots of food carts have whole fruits and carrot/celery sticks.

The quick service in Morocco and several places on AK had lots of options. The plant based options have really widened in recent months.

Thank you, I decided to ask because I know there so many options. Making note of the recommendations here so i could check menus etc.

Another bariatric surgery person....
Thank you, kids meals are a great idea, I never check the kids menus cause the boys prefer adult foods. But I will now.

I totally know what you mean about not overthinking the food issue. But I learned from experience if I dont plan ahead, I get stuck with bad, last minute options. So I want to have at least a general idea of the 2-3 best places for us.

Thank you, everyone!

I haven't eaten a burger, pizza, nugget or waffle at Disney in forever. Disney is the place where you go for non-typical theme park food. This ain't Six Flags. Peruse the menus available online. Lots of goodness out there.

There are numerous 'markets' in the parks with fresh fruit, hummus, etc. Also some of the parks have 'power packs' under the kids' meals with gogurt, grapes, carrots, goldfish, and some kind of bar. For table service, check menus. For buffets we like Tusker House at Animal Kingdom and 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian--they both have lots of healthy options.

Here are some of my favorite healthier quick service options:
  • Magic Kingdom: Pecos Bill (Veggie Rice bowl plus the toppings bar), Columbia Harbor House (DD19 likes the Grilled Salmon, depending upon the type of meal we're eating there I might have the Chicken Pot Pie, the Lighthouse Sandwich, or a salad)
  • Hollywood Studios: ABC Commisary (Mediterranean Salad)
  • Animal Kingdom: Restaurantosaurus (Spicy Southwestern Burger...not sure if it's the same black bean based one I had a few years ago though); Satulii Canteen (Bowls--pick your base, protein, and sauce); Caravan Road? (kiosk in Asia that served steamed Edamame in pods)
  • Epcot: Sunshine Seasons (I usually go to the refrigerated cases and grab a container with hummus, grain salad, couscous salad, but there are lots of healthy options here) Pictured below.

There are some great suggestions here! I am busy writing some of them down for future use. We avoid the buffets and eat alot of salads or order appetizers and share an entree. Overeating in a park makes me want to immediately go back to the room and take a nap.

Also, if you're at Epcot during a festival time (Art, Flower and Garden, Food and Wine), there are plenty of healthy small plate options at the kiosks around the world showcase area.

In Hollywood Studios, the Backlot Express has a really good caprese sandwich. Fairfax Faire had what seemed to be a “healthier” menu. You also might check out the Mickey meals for kids. I know ABC commissary had one my kids liked that was almost like a bento box. There was yogurt, fruit, cheese, crackers, ect. I know several restaurants have something similar. We always look for those because I don’t want them eating chicken nuggets or Mac and cheese for every meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter