Hearst Castle?

RAZ24

Mouseketeer
Was 100% sure we were doing this on our trip to California, but now I am second guessing myself because of a few 'skip it" folks.

What do you think? We will be going in December. Are there Christmas lights set up, extra pretty? We are DH, DS20, DD17, DD9, and me. We are only spending 1 night there, and heading to Monterey for 1 night.

The trip goes something like this:

dec.15-18 St. Regis Dana Point-visiting family etc.
dec.18-19 PCH-many stops, do the last tour at the Castle
dec.19-20 Monterey-Think I am jamming too much stuff here but would like to do aquarium, cannery row, Carmel, 17 mile drive, tide pools, brunch on the 20th at Pebble beach.

Should I forget about the Castle entirely?

dec.20-23 Beverly Hills Raffles Hotel. We definately need 3 days here.

Staying at the Portola Plaza in Monterey. Cambria if we go not sure of the hotel. Trip advisors scares me in that area. How far is the Ventanna Inn and Spa from Hearst Castle?

That's it.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Christine

I've been to Hearst Castle twice (although it's been awhile), and have enjoyed both of my visits. I find it fascinating: so over-the-top and opulent.

Just watch Citizen Kane before going, to get in the proper mood. :rolleyes:

Hehe...Citizen Kane definitely puts it in perspective. I found it a little odd -- basically Hearst Castle is the last remains of an Ozymandias who's greatest achievement was the castle itself. The tour is littered with references to his sadism and extravagance. Definitely an all-American sort of thing, if you can cough up the appropriate fare...

I think I'm right about this. But the first Spartacus movie I believed filmed some there. It was Crassus' palace in the movie the Lawrence O'livia (sp) character. I think it is mainly just a few scenes where he is walking around the outside by the pool, but you can get some idea of some of it.

Hearst is wonderful! Go if you have the chance, I loved visiting it as a teenager and still love going as an adult.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Looks like we are going, just need to make a reservation.
Also, still looking for a hotel there. Any recommendations? Nice, clean hotel.

Thank you-

Christine

We love Hearst Castle, but I think your Monterey day will be jam-packed! But first let me tell you that we really enjoyed our stay at the Portola Plaza Hotel. The most comfy beds ever!!!!!

The aquarium--you must get there before opening, as a huge line forms outside and can take forever to get in. I would plan on spending a few hours there. Cannery row is a fun place to shop around in, but you probably won't spen more than a couple walking around there. We loved the Fish Hopper for dinner. Great views and amazingly creamy clam chowder! 17mile drive is beautiful, I've never done the brunch and Carmel is another cool place to wonder around and browse the upscale shops.
That all I can answer for you. Have a great time!

Was 100% sure we were doing this on our trip to California, but now I am second guessing myself because of a few 'skip it" folks.

What do you think? We will be going in December. Are there Christmas lights set up, extra pretty? We are DH, DS20, DD17, DD9, and me. We are only spending 1 night there, and heading to Monterey for 1 night.

The trip goes something like this:

dec.15-18 St. Regis Dana Point-visiting family etc.
dec.18-19 PCH-many stops, do the last tour at the Castle
dec.19-20 Monterey-Think I am jamming too much stuff here but would like to do aquarium, cannery row, Carmel, 17 mile drive, tide pools, brunch on the 20th at Pebble beach.

Should I forget about the Castle entirely?

dec.20-23 Beverly Hills Raffles Hotel. We definitely need 3 days here.

Staying at the Portola Plaza in Monterey. Cambria if we go not sure of the hotel. Trip advisors scares me in that area. How far is the Ventanna Inn and Spa from Hearst Castle?

That's it.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Christine

I think you should definitely do the Castle but I am relatively sure you CANNOT do all the things you want to do in Monterey in two days.

By the way, off topic, December 20 is my birthday and I will be winging my way from SFO to Orlando.

Drive from Anaheim should be take a little over 4 hours.

Driving from Hearst Castle to the Ventanna Inn and Spa in Big Sur will probably take an hour and a half.

birkner-Thanks! I know you are right about having too many things to do in Monterey. Maybe we should skip the Aquarium. We visit many cities and usually do the Aquariums.

Christine

Thanks everyone for your replies! Looks like we are going, just need to make a reservation.
Also, still looking for a hotel there. Any recommendations? Nice, clean hotel.

Thank you-

Christine
Christine, did you have any luck in finding lodging in Cambria? When we were there 7-8 years ago, Moonstone Beach Dr. had at least a dozen very nice privately owned motels (almost bed & breakfast like). The street is a side street on the ocean. (Motels are across the tiny the tiny road).

I would google Cambria & look at the sites. They all looked very similar. None are fancy, but all we walked by were cute. (& less than 5 minutes from the Castle pickup) Have fun.

Thanks Hound did the google. Chamber of commerce had some nice links to Christmas type events! Also, looked at the hotels. Will figure out something soon.

Again, thank you.

Christine

I'm from the Bay Area, but am a tourist nowadays.

We just went to the Aquarium. And it was....eh. Not worth the admission, IMO. Now, if they have a Great White while you're there, big enough to see (they supposedly had another while we were there, but it was hiding), then it might be worth it...but it didn't feel worth it to me.

I personally would go to Carmel and take a whole day just wandering around.

The 17 mile drive was nice, but you have to drive slowly, and I wasn't all that impressed when I went on it (for free, b/c my host's dad lived there along the drive at the time). I could be mis-remembering, though.

Or I just love Carmel and want to just walk all day while there. :)

But I don't know about Hearst Castle!

HC is beautiful and not to be missed. You need to mAKE reservations. They have four tours. I would start with tour one. You'll love it.

As a native Californian who has lived in both Northern and Southern California and traveled extensively everywhere in between I believe your plans are very ambitious and logistically may be unsound. I think you have two problems … too much travel time and events that may not be great for your kids.

While I love Hearst Castle, are you aware that the last tour is at 3:20 p.m. and it takes (without stops or traffic) 5½ hours to get from Dana Point to San Simeon? December 18th is a Tuesday so the traffic may be bad in the morning … even if you leave at 8:00 a.m. there is a strong possibility that you will not make it, especially if you stop for lunch. You will not be able to do “many stops” unless you plan to leave your hotel at 6 or 7 a.m. … at which time it will be DARK! It might be more possible to do the tour first thing the next morning, but that will take a bite out of your day in Monterey.

And while Hearst Castle was amazing for its time, I do not know that it would compare favorably to anyone who has seen MTV Cribs or Kimora, Life in the Fab Lane. Over-the-top just is not so unusual anymore! Don’t get me wrong, I think Hearst Castle is amazing, but I LOVE history and I am not 9, 17, or 20 anymore! On the other hand, since your family seems to really like aquariums I would consider making that a higher priority than Hearst Castle, especially since the one in Monterey has been rated in the top 5 in the country since opening.

And are you aware that Monterey is another 2-3 hour drive from San Simeon on a very twisty-turney, one-lane coastal road with some sections of one-way traffic? If you took the Hearst Castle tour on the morning of the 19th you would not get on the road until about 10:00 a.m. which means you would not get to Monterey until 1:00 p.m. Last time I went, the aquarium was sold out for the day by then. And since you are going to Pebble Beach for brunch the next morning, going to the Aquarium on the 20th is out. So it seems you need to choose between Hearst Castle and the aquarium on the 19th.

As for Cannery Row, while I am a huge fan of John Steinbeck’s novel, since the aquarium opened it is just a tourist trap! When I was a kid it was not full of trinket shops, just character, but those days are long gone! I have driven and bicycled 17-mile drive and I would recommend the latter, but probably not in December even though it can be mild. And while it is nice, 17-mile drive is not much different/better than any of the other 100’s of miles you will be driving on PCH! Finally, as an only child I spent many weekends in high-end antique shops and art galleries, but I didn’t enjoy it at 9 years old and that is how I suspect your daughter will feel about Carmel. I love it now, but the only outlet in Carmel for the kind of youth energy you will be traveling with is hiking up from the beach at the end of Ocean Avenue … other than that, I suspect your group will be bored with the quaint art colony town.

Were you planning to take the coastal route or the 101/I-5 route back to Beverly Hills? I-5 is REALLY boring, but it will save you an hour or two on the 20th!

I really hope this post does not come off negative, but as someone who has traveled these roads not just looked on Mapquest, I wanted to let you know the reality of your itinerary. I want you to have a great trip and not wish you had spent less time in your rental car!

Blahnde

Blahnde- Thanks for your reply.

Our tour at the Hearst starts at 6:10pm. It's the holiday tour. I hope that helps with our travel time. We will leave Dana Point by 8am. A few stops, and I think we'll be good. Glad to know real travel time though!

You are right, Monterey has way too many things. Have not had a chance to rethink as of yet.

Our 9 year old is a good little traveler though. She can find 'FUN' just about anywhere. Thank goodness. She will be visiting with her cousins (same age) in Dana Point, and if we do the aquarium in Monterey, the Mann theatre and hopefully Hannah Montana taping in LA she should be good.

The age difference is a problem at times, but thankfully we all get along;)

Again, thanks for your reply.

Christine

It is great when locals like Blahnde give info. (great name btw)

Non locals will mapquest PCH between San Simeon & Monterey & see 100 miles & then factor in 2-3 hours. But they don't realize:

- real twisty road.
- drop dead BEAUTIFUL scenery that demands a stop every 15 miles.
- State Parks to look at (or hike).
- Big Sur (have a refreshment at Nepenthe or someplace).
- The elephant seals (just north of the castle).

Definitely not a stretch of paradise one wants to feel "rushed" at.

I LOVE Hearst Castle. I take my kids about once a year to visit on our way down the coast from visiting my parents in Oregon... They LOVE the tours, love talking to the tour guide and always come away with a better knowledge than the past trip. Tour #1 is the basic overview and shows you many rooms, both pools etc.... This is usually the more crowded tour as it is the one most first timers do... Tour #2 and #3 have way less people and for this reason we prefer these... the kids can really ask lots of question from the tour guides.... and we feel we get more personalized attention. Our last time in August 2007 we did tour #3 and it was the three of us and one other family!! It was great.....

Have fun -wherever you choose to go......

So - since you're definitely doing a tour at HC, book a room at any of the motels on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. Most of them are fine and include b'fast. As someone else mentioned, it's a short drive to the Castle.

It's a beautiful drive up the Coast to Carmel, but it takes a while! I'm a big fan of Carmel, but I'm not a kid. I think the aquarium in Monterey is worth it - again, get there early in the day.

As long as it's not stormy, December can be a beautiful time of year to visit the Central Coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter