Heather & Andy's Wedding Recaps 3

hmp2z

Disney Bride, Mom to Molly, Moose, and Hannah (all
Heather's Perspective:
Monday, August 5, 2002 – The Big Day!

After finally going to sleep at 2:30 and then waking up to be ill at 3:30, I woke up at 6:00, without the alarm, which was set for 6:30. I was so excited, and also feeling a bit queasy from the excitement. (Continuing trend!). The Cosmetology ladies were coming at 8:00, so I took a shower & dried my hair. By that time, it was 6:30 and Julie (MOH) was waking up with the alarm. Side note – Mickey wasn’t making wakeup calls any more! It’s Stitch now, and he does that annoying little laugh. I can’t imagine who wants to hear that sound at 6:30 in the morning…
Anyway, I put on my shorts & white button down the front shirt. I got a white shirt for this, thanks to someone’s tip about this helping Cosmetology match colors. I walked out to the concierge lounge to grab a quick breakfast & brought back a plate of pastries and some juice for myself and Julie. Lindsay (SIL) didn’t want anything.
I sat down and tried to eat, but everything seemed so dry! Julie was finished with her shower by then, and she & Lindsay & I just chatted until the knock on the door at 8:00.
Cosmetology! Dianne & Serena came to do our hair and my makeup and nails also. Serena did my nails, and did a great job on the French manicure. My index finger and thumb nail had broken a few days earlier when I was playing with our dog Molly, but Serena did a good job making it look like I had nails on those fingers.
When Serena was finished with my nails, Dianne started on my hair and Serena began doing Julie’s hair. Lindsay wanted to do her own hair, so she was in the vanity area, doing that.
I was completely vague with Dianne, when she asked what I wanted done with my hair. I showed her the dress, told her I wanted something elegant with curls & tendrils down the side of my face, but not too poofy. She asked if I wanted a side part, and I told her I usually part my hair down the middle. Apparently that’s a big no-no; Dianne was horrified and said it would make my forehead look large. So then I said, “Well, I know nothing about hair, so don’t listen to me. You’re the expert & I trust your judgment.” She did her thing on my hair then, and when it came time for makeup, I told her I wanted a very natural look, since I never wear makeup, and that I wanted her to emphasize my eyes. Other than that, Dianne had a free hand.
It was so interesting, talking to the Cosmetology ladies while they “fixed” us. They told us a story about one of their co-workers who has disappeared. She has a boyfriend who they think may have done something to her. Then they told us about a Disney employee whose husband killed her and buried her in the backyard. Kind of a gruesome discussion – no wonder I was nervous all morning!
Then Dianne was finished with me and let me look in the mirror finally. It didn’t look like me at all! Where did all those long teeth come from? I joked with Julie that now I looked like a horse, but I think they did a great job – I’ve never looked better!
Dana from Carolyn-Allen’s came at 9:00 to steam the dresses and my veil and crinoline. She did a great job, and was really nice. I’d highly recommend their steaming services.
The guys called while we were getting our hair done, and Julie wouldn’t put me on the phone with Andy. I was upset, b/c I wanted to talk to him so that I’d be less nervous, but I knew that, feeling as emotional as I was, if I argued with Julie, I’d start crying, and I didn’t want red eyes before the wedding!
So our hair and makeup were all done by 10:00, and the limo wasn’t supposed to come until 11:30! I kept pacing around the room, until Lindsay decided we’d all go to the lounge to get a bite to eat. I was still in my regular clothes at this point, but wearing a veil and tiara. We got a lot of congratulations and some funny looks in the lounge, and then went back to the room. I began pacing again, so Lindsay suggested we go for a walk around the GF. Julie kept telling me, “Heather, sit down. Sit down. Sit down.” And then I’d jump right up again and start pacing. I just wanted the time to go faster – the lag in between getting ready and leaving was killing me!
We walked around the GF downstairs, and went to check out Commander’s Terrace, where our reception would be. There were all these people in blue shirts there, with a big boombox, and Julie & Lindsay were saying, “I hope that’s not for your wedding reception…” Then we came back to the room. Then it was 11:00, and we were going to get dressed at 11:15, so we went for another walk, this time around the gift shops at the GF. At 11:15, we went back upstairs and the production of dressing began. I got into all the underthings, including shoes, while Julie & Lindsay poofed out the crinoline and set my dress over it. They positioned a chair next to the dress, so that I could climb on in. I came out, held Julie’s hand, and CAREFULLY stepped off the chair into the dress. Voila!
I told them to fasten the hook in the back first, and then zip it up, since that was easier. So, they go to fasten the hook and… IT’S GONE!
Big disaster, since the dress was strapless and you all remember my alterations problems. The hook was the only reason the dress stayed snugly around the bodice, and the zipper wouldn’t stay up without the hook.
At this point, I lose it. I started crying and hyperventilating. Julie and Lindsay kept saying, “Breathe, breathe, it’s going to be okay.” (What would I have done without them?) I don’t really know why I flipped, except that I had been so on edge, waiting for the big moment, and I was so emotional. It was really weird, b/c Andy and I have been living together for almost 6 years, so I thought I’d be so calm and that things wouldn’t change. Forget all that – I think I hit every emotion in the human range that one day!
It was time for us to leave, so we zipped up the dress as far as it would go, and the girls pinned me in with a big safety pin that was sticking out in the back. Then we headed to the limo, and on the way there, we met Dawn (DJ) from the list! We somehow all got into the limousine, with my train all spread out to keep it from crumpling, and one of my feet propped up on the seat. I joke with Lindsay that I felt like I was in labor, with my foot hoisted up so high, and she told me, “Believe me, this is NOT what labor looks like!”

This is getting really long, so I’ll stop and post this part now.
Next – Getting to the Pavilion, Thank Goodness for Lynn, and We’re Married!

Andy's Perspective:
I awoke around 3:30am with some horrible stomach pains. Then again at 4:30 and 5:30. I finally got up and just decided to stay awake until the alarm rang at 6:30am. Bleary-eyed and raggedy, we trundled off to Chef Mickey’s for a 7am priority seating. We checked in and had just started to eat when the characters started coming out. Mickey, Pluto, Chip, Dale and Minnie all came by the table to pose and prance. Goofy stayed out in the lobby, so we didn’t actually get to see him. The food was pretty standard breakfast fare with eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, grits, fruit etc. There was a breakfast pizza that had peanut butter, jelly, marshmallows and chocolate chips. You’d better believe I had a slice. The only negative thing about the breakfast was the regular freak-out that the wait staff held. Every so often, they would blow on whistles, pump up the music and goad us into swigingin our napkins around in the air. Then the characters take this as a sign to go nuts and the whole place turns into a quasi-“lord of the Flies” scene. Great for kids, bad for adults who’ve had only 3 hours of sleep at best.
We picked up our pre-breakfast photos and headed back to the room. Showers all around, although not together. Then into the wedding garb. I was still feeling a bit queasy, so once we got all packed up, I took us to the sundries shop to buy some Pepto Bismol. Fellows, it doesn’t matter how happy you are about getting married or how calm you may feel the night before, you should definitely carry some or an equivalent just to be on the safe side.
Pepto in hand and starting to settle my stomach the Boys and I heade off to the Contemporary lobby to wait for the limo. One was there when we arrived and the bellman told us it was ours, but it was actually for someone going to the airport. Luckily, we didn’t get in, else the recap would have been a whooooole lot different. It did finally arrive around 11:15am or so and we piled in. The Boys had never been in a limo and they seemed to enjoy it very much. We got to the Wedding Pavillion way too soon for them and Randy Chapman was there to snap some photos. Housekeeping was outside cleaning off the walkway and going through the buildings to make everything sparkle. My dad kept referring to her as the lovely bride, causing much confusion amongst those people not so intimate with his style of humor.
We checked in and said our helos to all present. The videographer was not yet there and but he was the only one missing that I can recall. He soon arrived, nonetheless. Lee and I were herded back into the Groom’s vestibule so that no one woulc see Heather. Lynn, our coordinator, asked if anyone should see Heather and I opined that Heather would probably prefer to make her entrance without having been seen yet. Someone yelled that the bride had arrived, and then we heard some horrible tires squealing in the parking lot. Could Heather have told to driver to take her to the border so that she could start her life a new as a Mexican sombrero supplier? No, it was someone else who apparently hadn’t learned how to drive very well.
Our videographer, Stan from STVS, arrived and came in to mike me do some preliminary work. Both Lee and I spoke to the camera and the nerves were definitely working on us- happy ones, tho, nothing bad at all. Luckily, Pepto was working its magic, and everyone had been giving me a hard time about it. Locked away in our room, Lee and I just sat down and collected our wits. He was likely more calm than I, but it was definitely a quiet moment. Reverend Herring came in and gave some witty words of advice about how to keep the wife happy- “yes dear, no dear, I’m sorry dear” etc. I had asked Lynn for a safety pin to secure my ascot to my shirt, and I got that all adjusted just in time for the men’s procession.
Rev Herring went in first, followed by me and then Lee. I had to keep darting my eyes around the room because I felt like I was about to lose it up there. Good things, not bad! Julie came in first, with Pachelbel’s Canon in D which was nice because she used to love that song when we were younger (probably still does). Then the doors open and there she is! My bride, my best friend my only and last love on the arm of the man who brought her into this world for just me. She looked simply stunning and so happy in her dress; her hair and makeup had been done perfectly. She was the same woman I fell in love with nearly 6 years ago, but she also looked different and a most wonderful way. Again, the tears start to make a run and I think I remember murmuring something like “she’s so beautiful”. Then she arrived up the steps (carefully) and I whispered to her that she looked perfect. She truly did!
Her father did his part and then we breezed through the ceremony. Heather got a bit choked up during our vows right at the end, but Rev Tim Herring did an excellent job of handling the situation. I cannot say enough about how special he made our ceremony. It went by very quickly, but it’s the single most important and happy time of my life. Turning around to face our families with my new wife will be an experience I’ll never forget!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter