• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help - AKL or Contemporary Garden Wing

mmouse50

DIS Veteran
I realize that everyone has their own preference but looking for input.
Background:
Plan on going in the middle of the summer 2018 - 1 adult 1 - 12 year and 1 8 year old
Spending 6 days - 6 day park hopper ticket
Really would like everyone to have their own bed - so AKL bunk bed room - savanna view or Contemporary Standard Garden wing (they do have a day bed correct?)
Pool area - since it will be the summer and we have plenty of park time - I am planning on hitting the pools - slides are important to the kids so which resort has the better slide?

Pros for each: AKL - the animals Contemporary - Electric Water Parade.

I will have a car -so bus transportation won't be considered.

I am torn - HELP

Either way will be a win so don't stress over it. I'd go with AKL savanna view. Its pretty amazing to watch the animals right from your balcony. You can do that any time of day for as long as you like rather than the brief EWP viewing.

I posted same thing a couple months ago. We just got back last week--- our choice was Contemporary. It was DS20 and I. We had AKL CL booked and the Garden Wing Contemporary opened. For a few days we went back and forth, looked at pictures and videos. We finally decided on Contemporary. In the end we had tower TPV but the Garden Wing was gorgeous looking.

We loved the Contemporary location- easy to get to MK and Epcot. Walk to MK took 10 minutes with security on the path so no long baggage check lines. Easy to come back in middle of day. Getting to Epcot was easy too via TTC and monorail. When we'd go past bus stop even in morning not crowded at all. Each night we could see water parade and there are viewing spots for HEA fireworks. We had a car too and driving to parks easy and fast!

We've eaten at AKL on past trips and it's gorgeous but we felt Contemporary location and retro feel was perfect for us (as a child I stayed there in 1971)! It seemed AKL when we'd go past was so far out. I know the animals would have been a wonderful experience but we decided to pass this trip.

Good luck in decision and you'll be happy wherever you choose

Last edited:
AKL is really special. They have lots of activities for the kids.

But I don't agree that transportation is equal because you have a rental car. Being able to walk to MK from CR is priceless. Especially now that they do security check on that pathway-always nice & quick.

AKL has the better pools for sure. You'll be able to use both the one at Jambo House at at AKL, which is beautiful and really large, as well as the AK villas pool at Kidani. It's a short walk (or you can take a bus) away, and in my kids opinion, has the better water slide. There is a water slide at the CR, but the pool area itself is a little boring. We don't find the theming too exciting. It's a pool, and kids seem to have a great time in any pool, but the better pool experience is at at AKL.

Even you will have a car, AKL is far from the parks. We don't stay there often, in fact, due to how it is from everything. We love the CR for its very close proximity to MK- it is walkable! We frequently stay in the Garden Wing and love it. I sleep better there than I do in the tower. The overall theming at AKL is amazing. It's some of the best at Disney. The lobby of Jambo House is breathtaking, and there is plenty to do at the resort, especially all of the spectacular animal viewing. You won't get that anywhere else! The CR resort itself, kind of like the pool, is a bit lacking in theming. It's modern, but unfortunately, I find the modern theme a bit boring.

Another consideration is if you are renting a car, you will need to park at the TTC and use an additional form of transportation (boat or monorail) to MK. We have only rented a car once, and we won't do it again. We find the buses and monorails (and boats) faster, actually, than navigating the giant parking lots and taking the tram. Lots of people do rent cars and are glad they did. It's just not for us. If you're renting a car, the one time I think you'll find it faster is going from the CR to AK.

You can't go wrong with either choice. The CR is a great location. AKL is truly beautiful, and the pools are among our favorites at Disney. Try watching some YouTube videos. Those are always helpful to us when we're thinking of staying somewhere new.

Good balanced information in this thread, however, I disagree with the "AKL is far from everything" mentality. The bus service there is very good and a moot point with a car anyways. It's a few minutes further from certain parks compared to a more centrally located resort like Coronado, that's true, but it isn't particularly far from anything. It can be said that Contemporary and other monorail resorts seem 'far' from DHS and AK too. Honestly, if you're on property you aren't far from anything. If someone had only very small kids and was only going to MK then yes, the walk to MK from Contemporary is invaluable.

Due to the theming and pools I'd say AKL would be better. Contemporary is nice but imo the pool area is weak. Other variables such as bus service also lean toward AKL imo but aren't exactly applicable to the OP's situation.

Either choice is a good solid choice for your trip, they both have pros and cons.

Based on your criteria of pool time and slides, I'd pick AKL. AKL has a fun little slide that my kids always had a blast on, and then there's the whole kids area at Kidani. IMO the pool at CR is a snooze.

If a lot of time in MK was your focus, then CR for sure for walkability.

I love the water pageant so I get the draw.

AKL has outstanding food and lots to choose from, both TS and we think Mara is the best resort counter service by far. It's also super convenient to the pool.

Love quiet time on the balcony with the animals.

Last edited:
I would choose AKL for the pool alone, the Jambo pool is really nice, and is extremely close to The Mara, so it is very easy to pop in for a snack or meal, Kidani also has a nice pool so that the kids can switch it up a bit. If your kids were younger I would likely recommend the CR, but based on the ages of your kids and wanting quality pool time (with a slide) I would go with AKL.

Background:
Plan on going in the middle of the summer 2018 - 1 adult 1 - 12 year and 1 8 year old
Really would like everyone to have their own bed - so AKL bunk bed room - savanna view or Contemporary Standard Garden wing (they do have a day bed correct?)
Pool area - since it will be the summer and we have plenty of park time - I am planning on hitting the pools - slides are important to the kids so which resort has the better slide?

I am torn - HELP

Contemporary is probably the weakest pool as far as kids. Bay lake tower is not that much better either. Key for the contemporary is you can walk to magic kingdom and that is a huge advantage. AKL definately has a better pool slide at Kidani. the main pool at AKL probably isn't much better than contemporary pool. Animals are fun for the kids to look at.

I'd probably do contemporary myself just for the ease of walking to magic kingdom and especially back from magic kingdom. As for the pools, technically if you arent staying in Kidani or bay lake tower, you aren't supposed to use those pools, but honestly I don't think you would have any problem getting into them if you wanted to.

AKL--especially if you have savannah view--very unique experience that you don't really get elsewhere. And it really is one of my favorites--entire resort is just beautiful!

Background:

I am torn - HELP

We chose AKL this past summer (over the Poly and CR GW) because of the connectivity of the resort - the gift shop, lobby, and most restaurants are all in the same air conditioned building.

There were a few times it was pouring rain and hot and we were so glad we didn't have to walk outside just to get to the lobby from our room!

The Mara QS is "outdoors" but it hugs the resort near the pool (another plus, it's a few steps from the pool area!) and doesn't "feel" like you're walking outdoors. The blast of AC from the main building side doors can get you to the Mara door! ;)

As far as pools, the Jambo pool is relaxing and huge, but one of the best pools on property IMO is at the Kidani next door. GREAT slide, great theming and an absolutely incredible kid's area. My DS13 spent almost as much time in the kid area as sliding down the main slide! We felt it was comparable to the pool at the Poly maybe even a tad better because of it's woodland-like setting.

There is a free shuttle bus that goes between Kidani and Jambo that we utilized for swimming and going to Sanaa for dinner. Very quick, never more than a 5 min wait.

Lastly, the bunk beds were so much fun! And since the BB has a smaller footprint than a queen bed, it gives a bit more breathing room in the admittedly cramped AKL rooms. Also, savanna view was AMAZING! We saw many different animals all day and night.

But...all that being said...there was that one time leaving MK in a downpour, even with ponchos and umbrellas soaked to the bone, waiting for the AKL bus and looking at the Contemporary Resort just right there and it was a "if you lived here you'd be home by now" scenario! :laughing:

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll love it! Enjoy your trip!

Though I haven't stayed at either, I did get the opportunity to hang out in a Savanna room with my family for a couple hours, and I have to admit, that was the most amazing view I've ever experienced in my life.

As others have said, the fact that your kids are older probably means less time at MK, so the walk from the Contemporary won't be as beneficial to you. The food and theming at AKL wins over the Contemporary; hands down. And so does the pool, I think.

If the price is nearly similar, I'd go AKL in a heartbeat.

Contemporary is probably the weakest pool as far as kids. Bay lake tower is not that much better either. Key for the contemporary is you can walk to magic kingdom and that is a huge advantage. AKL definately has a better pool slide at Kidani. the main pool at AKL probably isn't much better than contemporary pool. Animals are fun for the kids to look at.

I'd probably do contemporary myself just for the ease of walking to magic kingdom and especially back from magic kingdom. As for the pools, technically if you arent staying in Kidani or bay lake tower, you aren't supposed to use those pools, but honestly I don't think you would have any problem getting into them if you wanted to.

If with the bolded you are saying that guests staying at Jambo house are technically not allowed to use the Kidani pool that is not accurate. Directly on the WDW website it lists both the Uzima Springs pool (Jambo) and Samawati Springs pool (Kidani) as recreation activities available to those staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/animal-kingdom-lodge/pools-animal-kingdom-lodge/.

Background:

I am torn - HELP

AKL has the best pools. CR has the larger, more comfortable rooms. Everyone above has compared the two resorts very well. FWIW, we have stayed at both and we pretty much agree with what has been said so far.

I would suggest that if you are staying in AKL and travelling to the MK, you might want to consider the bus. It bypasses the TTC, which is where you stop to park your car, saving the extra time waiting for a monorail or boat to the MK.

Good balanced information in this thread, however, I disagree with the "AKL is far from everything" mentality. The bus service there is very good and a moot point with a car anyways. It's a few minutes further from certain parks compared to a more centrally located resort like Coronado, that's true, but it isn't particularly far from anything. It can be said that Contemporary and other monorail resorts seem 'far' from DHS and AK too. Honestly, if you're on property you aren't far from anything. If someone had only very small kids and was only going to MK then yes, the walk to MK from Contemporary is invaluable.

Due to the theming and pools I'd say AKL would be better. Contemporary is nice but imo the pool area is weak. Other variables such as bus service also lean toward AKL imo but aren't exactly applicable to the OP's situation.

Either choice is a good solid choice for your trip, they both have pros and cons.

I agree ::yes:: (especially about the transportation)

AKL has outstanding food and lots to choose from, both TS and we think Mara is the best resort counter service by far. It's also super convenient to the pool.

Mara is one of our favorites for resort CS ;).

AKL has the best pools.

:thumbsup2

I stayed at AKL in April (spring break week) and it was great. Boma was wonderful for both breakfast and dinner and the bus service was reliable. Pool view room was lovely and there were plenty of public viewing areas to see all of the animals. My five year old loved the pool and the slide. I'm currently going back and forth between Contemporary and WL/AKL and was even considering a suite at AOA for an upcoming trip in Feb. Ultimately I think I'm going to stick to Contemporary because I'd like to be able to walk back after fireworks and see the water pageant without having to worry about getting a bus back late at night. I also have a toddler so that comes into play as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice!

My vote is for AKL. Not many places you can see animals from your room. Plus, if the electric water pageant is something you enjoy...hang out over at CR for a bit and catch it. Or any other MK Resort for that matter.

AKL has a slight edge pool wise as well IMO. Plus, the dining options at AKL are unreal. Enjoy.

AKL for me. We loved the walk to MK from the CR, but otherwise didn't love the resort. We loved AKL and I didn't think the transportation was bad. A rental car would make it even easier. I don't think you would be disappointed either way, but I think AKL edges out CR based on your criteria.

We've stayed at both and while it was nice for us to walk from contemporary to MK with little kids, we would never stay there again. AKL is so very special and the contemporary has nothing special about it at all. It's fine, but doesn't feel very Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter