Help avoiding vibration in aft of Fantasy

DisRecruit

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

I'm planning to book a 7 nighter on the Fantasy for spring 2024, and I'm expecting to have some choice in room selection. We're likely looking at OceanView rooms. These tend to be located toward the fore and aft. I don't believe there are any midship. In general, aft seems like a better location since most of the venues are located mid to aft. However, I've read about the vibration issues on the aft of the fantasy. I would like to avoid vibrating rooms if possible.

I'm attaching an example of the deck plan, around what cabins would you think should be safe to avoid the worst vibrations?
For example would 6176 and 6676 be too far to the aft? What about 6166 and 6666? Or do we have to keep moving farther mid ship? Does deck level make a difference?

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-10-15-46-15-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-10-15-46-15-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hello all,

I'm planning to book a 7 nighter on the Fantasy for spring 2024, and I'm expecting to have some choice in room selection. We're likely looking at OceanView rooms. These tend to be located toward the fore and aft. I don't believe there are any midship. In general, aft seems like a better location since most of the venues are located mid to aft. However, I've read about the vibration issues on the aft of the fantasy. I would like to avoid vibrating rooms if possible.

I'm attaching an example of the deck plan, around what cabins would you think should be safe to avoid the worst vibrations?
For example would 6176 and 6676 be too far to the aft? What about 6166 and 6666? Or do we have to keep moving farther mid ship? Does deck level make a difference?

Thanks for your advice!
Here's a quotation from one stateroom report for Fantasy cabin 6676: "Shaking was the issue; not rocking of the boat but the shaking from the engine. Kids thought it was funny, sitting on the toilet and getting a massage at the same time. Bring ear plugs."

When booking an upper deck oceanview stateroom on the Fantasy, which as you've noticed will have to be either far forward or far aft, choose forward. The Fantasy's vibration problem is not consistent, and shows up on some sailings more than others. When it's there, it is significant. I've never sailed in an aft Fantasy stateroom but I have sailed her three times and have occasionally felt the strong vibrations while in her aft public areas. On normal ships, vibrations are only that strong during docking and other temporary maneuvers, but on the Fantasy, it can be more long-lasting and problematic on certain sailings.

Last edited:
I was just on the Fantasy in #6120 which is an aft cabin, but it's closer to mid-ship than the very back of the ship. While there was no vibration there was a low frequency rumbling type noise coming from somewhere. It wasn't noticeable during the day but I had to wear ear plugs in order to sleep.

I had an aft cabin on a previous Fantasy cruise and I won't accept an aft cabin again. It's ridiculous that they haven't addressed the problem. They know it exists and it's been going on for years.

Last edited:
If you want to avoid vibration, then don't stay in aft. Reviews are not really helpful as people experience things different, but also different seas, weather, it can all influence the vibration.
The only thing that would be reliable is if there was one person who stayed in all the rooms on the same day, and repeat it after every time they tried to fix the problem.

I gambled on vgt to save 2k and got assigned 10148. Not excited about vibrations, being under cabanas, white poles obstructing view even though the stateroom is technically a 5A. Would be nice to upgrade at port but I kind of doubt it.

I had an aft cabin on a previous Fantasy cruise and I won't accept an aft cabin again. It's ridiculous that they haven't addressed the problem. They know it exists and it's been going on for years.
If it's a prop or shaft the ship could be out of commission for an extensive period of time. It may even need to go back to Meyer-Werft

If it's a prop or shaft the ship could be out of commission for an extensive period of time. It may even need to go back to Meyer-Werft
Yes, it would cost Disney real money to fix. It also costs cruisers real money to cruise on the Fantasy, especially peak season. Many people have had those expensive cruises very negatively impacted by the severe vibrations over the years, and it continues to happen.

There are Oceanview rooms on deck 2 Midship as well. We have not stayed on deck 2 on the Dream/Fantasy, so I don't know anything about those rooms. (We like deck 2 Oceanview on Magic/Wonder but the pics of Dream/Fantasy deck 2 portholes look different than Magic/Wonder.) This past June, we stayed in a verandah on the Fantasy at the forward elevators (on deck 9) in order to avoid the aft vibration. We liked the location for easy access to the adult pool deck area.

I would go forward. I was in 7501 last time on the Fantasy and I’ve never slept better honestly.

The aft vibrations are absolutely a real thing. One night in the Tube literally everything was shaking.

Thank you all very much. Your responses have been very helpful.

Yes, it would cost Disney real money to fix. It also costs cruisers real money to cruise on the Fantasy, especially peak season. Many people have had those expensive cruises very negatively impacted by the severe vibrations over the years, and it continues to happen.
From my research, it seems that the issues were supposed to have been addressed during her drydock in 2020. However, recent reports still indicate there are lingering problems unfortunately. https://www.disboards.com/threads/fantasy-vibration-issues-fixed.3857069/
The times we have to cruise are limited since my spouse is a teacher, and our son is in grade school. Unfortunately, this leads us to cruising during those near-peak (try our best to avoid the summer and national holiday times), and very expensive times.

There are Oceanview rooms on deck 2 Midship as well. We have not stayed on deck 2 on the Dream/Fantasy, so I don't know anything about those rooms. (We like deck 2 Oceanview on Magic/Wonder but the pics of Dream/Fantasy deck 2 portholes look different than Magic/Wonder.) This past June, we stayed in a verandah on the Fantasy at the forward elevators (on deck 9) in order to avoid the aft vibration. We liked the location for easy access to the adult pool deck area.
Our first Disney cruise was in an oceanview on deck 2 on the magic, near the aft stairs. We enjoyed the room, and only felt vibrations/mechanical motion when docking, and occasional noise from rapunzel's upstairs (and sometimes woke to the aromas of breakfast). We always travel with a sound machine. We had a good experience in the oceanview, and realized that a verandah could be a bit of a waste for us (on a disney cruise), since we were so busy doing things throughout the ship. We were happy to realize that we could probably save a bit of money this way.
I think we'll investigate the ocean views on deck 2. We were looking into the "family" category rooms hoping for a little extra space, and I don't think there are any on deck 2, unfortunately. However, there rooms midship beneath guest services or the bon voyage bar may be good choices.

How many in your party? We’ve stayed in an 8A on deck 5 and loved it. Lots of space. The ship isn’t so big that the distance to anything impacted us.
Those 8As are certainly intriguing. There are three of us. Our son will be 8 during this cruise. Those rooms are huge, and we would try for one with the dividing (half) wall. With the 8 year old, we figure we will be going back and forth between Oceaneer's, the atrium for meet and greets, and the upper decks for food and pools. That's why the aft is more appealing to us than the forward. Thankfully, mobility isn't an issue for us. Location is a convenience, not a necessity. If you have any tips about the 8As, I'd love to hear them.

I gambled on vgt to save 2k and got assigned 10148. Not excited about vibrations, being under cabanas, white poles obstructing view even though the stateroom is technically a 5A. Would be nice to upgrade at port but I kind of doubt it.
Saving 2k is still a pretty good deal. Hopefully the vibration is mitigated some on the upper decks? Wish you luck on the upgrade. Let us know how it goes.

We sailed on an 8 night on the fantasy in the aft. Yes, there was vibration at top speed. After the first day, we got used to it and it wasn’t a big deal. The vibration would not stop me from sailing in the aft.

We sailed on an 8 night on the fantasy in the aft. Yes, there was vibration at top speed. After the first day, we got used to it and it wasn’t a big deal. The vibration would not stop me from sailing in the aft.
Do you mind if I ask which stateroom, and when (approximately) was your sailing?

We had 10660 on the Fantasy and yea you felt the vibrations and you had some noise it wasn't anything that kept any of the 4 of us from sleeping. It was nice to be at the end of the boat in one way, less foot traffic. I think you will be happy with being able to save the $2K. I hope you enjoy your trip!

My understanding is that the aft vibration is affected, at least somewhat, by the speed the ship is going. So if you're on an itinerary where the ship will have to move fairly quickly to get to a destination (which, to be fair, is most of the Carribean itineraries the Fantasy currently sails), it's likely you could experience the vibration. Of course it's also affected by other factors, but reviews have mentioned that the vibration was worse when the ship was going faster.

I was in an aft cabin on the Fantasy (don't remember the stateroom, sorry), in 2018, and it was noticeable. Hangers in the closet would clang together-easily solved by hanging clothes on them but you get the idea. I wouldn't say it ruined the cruise, but definitely memorable. We had the opportunity on our Fantasy cruise last September to get an aft-facing stateroom with the extended balcony (can't remember the actual stateroom category at the moment) and we declined because my parents were nervous about the possibility of vibration (they'd never experienced it before).

Those 8As are certainly intriguing. There are three of us. Our son will be 8 during this cruise. Those rooms are huge, and we would try for one with the dividing (half) wall.
If you want the split layout, you have to be forward, not aft.

Just sailed the Fantasy on November 26 - Eastern route to Tortola/St.Thomas - in cabin 9674. Our first time in an aft cabin. We had 2 sea days to start, running 20knots to get south to Tortola. At those speeds the cabin vibrated a lot. Same story on the third sea day when we motored back up to Castaway.

Our homemade solutions: 1) Deconstructed the towel mouse that was on our bed the first night and used a couple of those wrapped around the swing arm of the TV and pushed the TV back against them. If the TV was extended it vibrated a lot, but the towel trick worked well. 2) Put clothes on all the hangers = no more banging hangers. 3) Moved the darn snorkel masks off the darn metal rail of the darn shelf in the middle of the darn night after wondering what the darn sound was that i couldn't find and then discovered it was my own darn fault. 4) Solved a mysterious squeaking sound by taking four or five tissues, stacking them flat, and then closing the cabin door with them pinned just above the lock. Just enough to stop the metal rubbing.

- Does that Cabin rattle a lot at speed right now? Yes
- Will some people be fine with it and will it drive others crazy? Yes
- Was it slightly less expensive than a cabin on the side of the ship? Yes
- Was the gigantic balcony amazing, like having a second room added on to the cabin? Yes
- Are we ruined for going back to normal balconies without loungers? Probably.
- Did I count the number of floorboards and then lean around the walls to see if our balcony was wider than the ones on either side of us? Yes, and yes it is. About 2.5 feet wider.
- Would we, personally, put up with the trade offs and book that room again? Absolutely. But that's us, we've experienced it, and while we don't love the vibration, we LOVED the balcony space. It was very much like having our own private sun deck. We watched SpaceX launch a rocket from there and then we skipped the top deck sail away party for the first time and did our own from our private piece of paradise!

Just sailed the Fantasy on November 26 - Eastern route to Tortola/St.Thomas - in cabin 9674. Our first time in an aft cabin. We had 2 sea days to start, running 20knots to get south to Tortola. At those speeds the cabin vibrated a lot. Same story on the third sea day when we motored back up to Castaway.

Our homemade solutions: 1) Deconstructed the towel mouse that was on our bed the first night and used a couple of those wrapped around the swing arm of the TV and pushed the TV back against them. If the TV was extended it vibrated a lot, but the towel trick worked well. 2) Put clothes on all the hangers = no more banging hangers. 3) Moved the darn snorkel masks off the darn metal rail of the darn shelf in the middle of the darn night after wondering what the darn sound was that i couldn't find and then discovered it was my own darn fault. 4) Solved a mysterious squeaking sound by taking four or five tissues, stacking them flat, and then closing the cabin door with them pinned just above the lock. Just enough to stop the metal rubbing.

- Does that Cabin rattle a lot at speed right now? Yes
- Will some people be fine with it and will it drive others crazy? Yes
- Was it slightly less expensive than a cabin on the side of the ship? Yes
- Was the gigantic balcony amazing, like having a second room added on to the cabin? Yes
- Are we ruined for going back to normal balconies without loungers? Probably.
- Did I count the number of floorboards and then lean around the walls to see if our balcony was wider than the ones on either side of us? Yes, and yes it is. About 2.5 feet wider.
- Would we, personally, put up with the trade offs and book that room again? Absolutely. But that's us, we've experienced it, and while we don't love the vibration, we LOVED the balcony space. It was very much like having our own private sun deck. We watched SpaceX launch a rocket from there and then we skipped the top deck sail away party for the first time and did our own from our private piece of paradise!
Yes but OP is not considering an extended balcony room, just an oceanview (porthole) room. So no tradeoff of a large balcony to compensate for all the vibration.

The Fantasy is a phenomenal ship despite the vibration issues. They tried to fix them during the shutdown in 2020 when they took the ship to France. We were on the first sailing when the ship came back to service. It was and is better after the work they did but sadly still noticeable.

For our first cruise on the fantasy in 2019 we sailed in 7502 (Very front of the ship. Room is double wide, couldn't recommend it more) and obviously slept like babies being at the front of the ship and then in Forward Verandah's (Deck 8 or 9. Just Standard verandah not family) and felt minimal vibrations.

The best way I can sum it up to you is this, It seems like you are concerned about it from this posting. Since it's already on your mind, its more likely to bother you if you were to experience vibrations/shaking. I would encourage you to sail in a forward verandah and when you are at dinner in Animators (Deck 3 Aft), take stock of the ship and the movement and see how it affects you through dinner. If it isn't problematic, you know for the future that you are ok in the Aft.

We sailed in a room right off the Aft elevators on the Dream and the shaking was pretty aggressive too going from Canaveral to Nassau overnight. Sea conditions play a big part.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what you decide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter