Help! Do you need a passport?

AndreaHurtt

Earning My Ears
My DH is getting a cruise for Christmas. We sail on Feb 9th on the Dream. In a random conversation today, he mentions needing to renew his passport. I don't know when it expired. He has a military passport, but he can only use it for official military travel, not tourist stuff.

I don't think we can get it renewed in time.

This is our first Disney cruise, and I am unsure what to do!
I already messed things up with this trip when I booked before and after cruise WDW rooms, only to realize where we dock is 4 hours away! (Luckily I got that fixed the best I can)

Any suggestions, or thoughts on what to do? I hope I haven't ruined Christmas :(

My DH is getting a cruise for Christmas. We sail on Feb 9th on the Dream. In a random conversation today, he mentions needing to renew his passport. I don't know when it expired. He has a military passport, but he can only use it for official military travel, not tourist stuff.

I already messed things up with this trip when I booked before and after cruise WDW rooms, only to realize where we dock is 4 hours away! (Luckily I got that fixed the best I can)

Any suggestions, or thoughts on what to do? I hope I haven't ruined Christmas :(
The best thing to do is check the DCL website: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/passport-travel-documentation/. There are several factors that go into whether you need a passport or not.

That sailing is what is called a "closed loop" cruise, beginning and ending in the same US port (Fort Lauderdale). US citizens are permitted to go on closed loop cruises using a birth certificate (original or certified copy issued by a US state AND a current government-issued photo ID (the rules are a bit different for Puerto Rico birth certificates). This process is valid when leaving/entering the US via a cruise ship. You CANNOT use these documents as proof when traveling via air.

If you were to have an emergency when out of country, you would not be able to fly back to the US.

Assuming you are both US citizens it is unlikely that a passport is required. Dream primarily sails a closed-loop cruise (begin and end at the same US port) to destinations that do not require a passport from the US (Bahamas and Caribbean). So unless you are booked on the Transatlantic in May, you should be fine.

If you are not US citizens, then you most likely will need a passport.

Edited to add: you will need official birth certificates plus a government-issued photo ID. While passport processing has been reportedly fairly quick -- if you do decide to go that route make sure you have a back-up birth certificate to use just in case.

Better to have a passport than not. I just renewed mine and got it back in 5 weeks - Processing times have sped up considerably. If you expedite it might be even faster.

None of us has passports and no issues at all. I uploaded our birth certificates and brought a copy of them with us and we were all good! This is of course for a round trip and went to the Bahamas.

I just renewed my passport. Under 2 weeks including mailing. I used priority mail. It was returned by priority mail.
I didn't pay extra for faster processing or mailing

A friend just posted he got his Passport back in 11 days WITHOUT using the expedited service, so the backlog may be over.

That sailing is what is called a "closed loop" cruise, beginning and ending in the same US port (Fort Lauderdale). US citizens are permitted to go on closed loop cruises using a birth certificate (original or certified copy issued by a US state AND a current government-issued photo ID (the rules are a bit different for Puerto Rico birth certificates). This process is valid when leaving/entering the US via a cruise ship. You CANNOT use these documents as proof when traveling via air.

If you were to have an emergency when out of country, you would not be able to fly back to the US.
Well, to be fair, they would be allowed to return to the US but would have to go to a US consulate first. I’d risk it vs. not getting the passport back in time, but I think I’d apply for the renewal anyway.

Others are correct - technically speaking if all travellers are born in the US - meaning they are US Citizens by birth, than an original birth certificate or a certified copy of original along with any other photo ID for adults is good enough on closed loop cruises (cruises that start and end at the same US Port of Call). The biggest challenge becomes if you have an issue and need to be left behind in another country, getting home (which would now be by air) would be an issue as you absolutely need a passport for air travel into the USA from another country. Many people travel without passports on closed loop cruises without any issues. I have personally always had a passport so I can't speak to any true challenges.

According to the official US Dept of State website - the passport processing times today (Dec 25) are 6-8 weeks for routine and 2-3 weeks for expedited. If you need it fast, I would do expedited and not risk it.

A friend just posted he got his Passport back in 11 days WITHOUT using the expedited service, so the backlog may be over.

Yeah we dropped off the applications on November 25th and had passports in hand on December 8th. I think the cards came on the 12th. All the documents arrived on the 19th?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter