Help, DS can climb out of pack n play?!

Dana_Buckley

Mouseketeer
We discovered this weekend that my 2yo DS can climb out of the pack n play. Our trip is 6/2 - 6/8. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. The plan was for DS to nap at 2pm everyday at the hotel, while DH & I sat on the balcony & read, or one of us could go the pool, shop etc., but now I won't be able to 'make' my son take a nap. This weekend he just kept climbing out & jumping on the beds! Any tips? Thank you.

Have you tried laying down on the bed with your DS? My DD (also 2) started climbing out of her crib recently, and we moved her to a twin bed. Sometimes she will lay down just fine, but sometimes she's up, she's down, she's bouncing on the bed...

I will often lay down with her and gently rub her back or head, and she will usually go to sleep pretty quickly. (Sometimes I even get a quick nap as well! ;))

We discovered that our kids were so tired, they'd fall asleep on whatever transportation we took. Then - beware the 10 minute nap, because they'd never fall asleep again. So we rode the bus around in a circle, each of us with a sleeping child in our arms, for an hour or an hour and a half until one of them woke up - then got back off at the park. (one day, for variety, we rode the train in the MK, the monorail would have worked to).

(We also tend to buckle them into carseats and do our shopping on the weekends - one parent sits in the car with sleeping kids and a book, the other does the running into the store. I hear they are "good nappers" at daycare - but they really aren't at home).

We thought pre-trip we'd have DD take a nap in the afternoon too, however we found out our plans never matched reality. DD was 14 months at the time of our trip and would snooze when needed in the parks in her stroller. Thank goodness we took her nice reclining one. Anyway she'd take a short little snooze and be good to go for more action. We'd go back to the hotel anyway for an afternoon nap and the only one napping was either DH or I!!!!!!!!!!! She was up and playing and happy as a lark. We just went with the flow and had an awesome trip. By night she fell asleep quickly from her busy filled day. We were with friends who had a 2 yo and he did the same thing, napped in the stroller but not in the hotel.

When we went with our 7 month old DS, we stay at the Poly and originally they had put a crib in our room for him to use. The first night, he woke up during the night and I tried to get to him and couldn't reach him because the sides of the crib were way to high. I'm only 5'2" but I don't usually have a problem reaching my child. That night, though, there was no way I could get to him (had to get hubby to do it) and I'd bet that a child would not be able to climb out easily from one of those cribs. We asked for the standard pack and play the next day and it worked out much better, but you may want to inquire about the availability of a crib instead of a pack and play.

Our daughter who just turned three is a little she devil some days and cannot be trusted to run the house alone. Needless to say she is still in a crib. She cannot or will not sleep with us because she just cant fall asleep. I caught her a few months ago trying to climb out of the crib. I went and bought a crib tent. It worked for the longest time until the little turkey figured out how to unzip the darn thing. Needless to say we will bring it with us on this trip just in case she has something up her sleeve. You might want to get one if you can get a regular crib at the hotel. We also like ours because it will act as a bug screen and keep mosquitos off of her.

They also make crib tents just for pack 'n plays. You might have to call the manufacturer directly to order, but they make traveling with climbers much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter